(Archived) When will we be seeing an update for the Mac?

KurtisB

Idea

I've finally did the full transition from Win* to Mac and as much as I detest MicroSoft, I loved One Note with the exception that it hated me trying to sync my notebooks between computers. However, I was fully committed to transitioning all my tools over, so here I am, as Evernote seemed to be the best alternative + cloud based to boot. Needless to say, I was somewhat surprised to find that I could import my OneNote Notebooks by "Copying & Pasting them" into Evernote after I was under the impression I could automatically import them. I opted to just load up windows & do it, but that was just annoying. Today as I'm grinding through product specs and making notes, I find I can't format the tables. Then I'm having a hell of a time pasting lists so I don't have to retype the same text. Finally I had changed the color of my headers to red, then proceded to continue typing only to find out that my undo was now stuck on "Undo Set Color" so after I inadvertently hit the space bar while on my way to hit ctrl-c, I couldn't undo the text I just erased. Luckily I hadn't synced at that point so I just grabbed it off the web version, but seriously.

Evernote is everywhere on everything, how about fixing some of these scary issues on the platform used by people most likely to desire your product/services? Note I didn't ask to click anywhere and start typing ala OneNote, as I realized that would be stretching it, but I'd at least like a guaranteed Undo if I'm paying for this product.

/rant off

11 replies to this idea

From our Windows client, you can import from OneNote directly under the File menu. (If you have a PC with OneNote on it, this is the place to do your import.)

Thanks for the feedback about Mac editing.

Thanks, I had actually already done that, but I'm interested in kicking the Windows habit completely. I dig the concept of Evernote, but I'm wondering when some of the more obvious issues will be cleared up? For example, I decided that I could format my notes more swiftly in word & then just paste them back into Evernote, which didn't work. It lost all of the bullet formatting and added a bunch of wingdings symbols (the word doc was all one color, Arial, and standard bullets so no idea where those things came from).

These aren't small issues, particularly for someone serious about note taking. You have a lot of irons in the fire, and if the updates aren't going to be in the near future, I'd be happy to find an alternative. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering.

Thanks,

- Kurtis

I've made extensive use of both Onenote and Evernote over the years, and for what it's worth, I think that if you've got used to Onenote's note-taking facilities, I can't see that you're going to be satisfied with those of Evernote. Onenote is a long way ahead in that area, and Evernote shows no signs of catching up. On the other hand, I've just returned to using Evernote after ditching it entirely for some months, and am reminded of how indispensable it is for what it is good at, which is collecting and searching.

I use both, each for the domain in which they excel: Onenote for note-taking within project domains, and Evernote for collecting, archiving, snipping, etc. I'm also on a Mac, and run Onenote within Virtualbox running Windows XP.

I don't use EN for note taking. Honestly, it isn't very good at it. As previously mentioned, EN is REALLY, REALLY good at grabbing stuff (I dump in scans, web pages, emails, etc) as PDFs and then searching the database for the documents I need at a later date.

Try OmniGroup's OmniOutliner. Pretty cheap, great outliner/note taker. You can dump the file into EN and keep it synced.

Kevin

Evernote is everywhere on everything, how about fixing some of these scary issues on the platform used by people most likely to desire your product/services?

+1.

The bugs in the most basic rich-text editing functions are really painful. Each time that pain crosses some threshold I go off and look for an alternative. And the pain hurts that much more when paying for the product. EN, please bump this a bit higher in your priorities if you can.

I don't use EN for note taking. Honestly, it isn't very good at it. As previously mentioned, EN is REALLY, REALLY good at grabbing stuff (I dump in scans, web pages, emails, etc) as PDFs and then searching the database for the documents I need at a later date.

Try OmniGroup's OmniOutliner. Pretty cheap, great outliner/note taker. You can dump the file into EN and keep it synced.

Kevin

I can not get evernote to recognize emails forwarded to my evernote email address. I have a premium acct and am trying to transfer years of email receipts for software purchases. Evernote receives them but stores them as "Unnamed File Attachment". I never seem to get any documents, dragged or emailed stored in pdf format. As said, I have a premium acct and am running Mac Evernote v 1.80 (79077).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

If you email a message to Evernote, we will try to use the file name of the attachment. If the email attachment did not include a file name, we won't be able to determine the type of file it is. Try explicitly making a file that ends in ".pdf" and then attach that to an email into your account.

Since Evernote notes store an MIME type in the tag , the data on the image type might be there (try exporting the emailed note and look for "mime" in the exported file using a text editor).

I've noticed the Mac client seems not to be able to use the MIME information. Perhaps the Windows client does?

If Windows isn't an option and it's important enough to fix this, a shell script or applescript could be used to fix all the notes from your imported emails. (Export --> script to read MIME name and fix file names --> Import).

Kevin

Wow! Does it really work that easily with syncing of OmniOutliner documents? If so, this is what would get me to go premium… Does EN automatically sync changes in oo3 documents I put in it? Can I view them on the iPhone?

I'm a bit sceptical because of this thread, from a few months back.

I don't really agree about EN not being good for note taking, though. I think it's great… until I need to use bulleted lists, at that EN sucks. If I could use OmniOutliner for that, and sync to EN, it would be bliss :(

EN will NOT display the OO note. It will, however store the file. When you double click on the file in the EN note, OO will open for you to edit the OO document. When you are done editing the OO note, save it. OO will write the changes to the file stored on EN. The file will then sync on the EN service, updating all your devices in the process. A bit of a work-around, but this works with virtually any type of file, but only if you have a premium account. In essence, you are using EN to store your file, rather than in the usual location in your "Documents" folder.

Kevin

Thanks for your reply, Kevin!

I'm disappointed, though. I was hoping to be able to view my oo3 notes on the iPhone. as well as from a web browser on any machine. That would have solved EN's outlining problems (cf. these threads) and I would gladly have paid quite handsomely for it.

If I can't view my oo3 notes in EN, I don't really see why I should dump them there. I already have all of them on a free Dropbox account, which syncs them between any machines. If EN can't display them, then the only plus I can see in having them in EN, is being able to search them along with my EN notes. But why not just use Spotlight for that?

Archived