New Evernote for Windows, Updated v6.0 Beta

We are getting very close to the public release of Evernote for Windows, version 6. We’ve heard a lot of great feedback from all of you so far, and this latest beta brings many fixes and improvements.

You can download the latest Evernote for Windows v6.0 beta here.

-----

Improved:

• Performance
    • Search performance is significantly improved on large accounts. Note that this will require a quick one-time reindexing. This reindexing pauses when you are using the application.
    • Not Responding states are vastly reduced and less severe, at startup time, during sync, and when searching. Let us know if you still see these situations.
  • Navigation and Organization
    • Refine your search inside a notebook by tag. Tag filter now only shows tags from notes in the notebook.
    • Search for notebooks and tags more efficiently. Search terms now match within words instead of prefix.
    • Cleaner note toolbar. Customize and hide the features you don't use often in the overflow.
    • Access all the contextual options for notebooks and tags, such as rename and set style, directly from the notebook/tag search.
    • Toggle the behavior of parent tag selection from the Options menu.
    • Show reminders information in top list view and side list view.
    • Create a new saved search with a right-click on the search description. Saved search will be added to your shortcuts.
    • Use Shift+Alt+T and Shift+Alt+N to refine Tags and Notebooks in the Search info
  • Evernote Business Personal/Business Separation
    • Switching context back and forth between Personal and Business now remembers the note and notebook/tag you're in.
    • Added option to show both personal and business shortcuts in a single list in the toolbar.

Major Bugs Fixed:

• Drag and dropping a file from a note no longer result in an empty file.
  • Attachments no longer appear as broken in the note or invisible in print.
  • Images pasted from some screenshotting tools no longer randomly disappear.
  • And other smaller bugs.

-----

I’d also like to briefly touch upon several topics brought up throughout the last few weeks:

• Feature requests: You’ve all contributed many valid use cases and feature ideas. We really appreciate the enthusiasm and carefully considered them. We also had to prioritize our efforts to not further delay the release of version 6 to the general public. Many of these ideas are captured in the backlog and will be addressed in follow-up releases.
  • Consistency across platforms: It is our approach that Evernote applications leapfrog each other regularly, and great ideas are rolled out to other platforms. Ultimately, we are moving towards consistent navigation and organization models, while leaving enough room to let the platform shine. For example the Android/iOS handwriting and the recent Mac quick switcher, are on the roadmap for Windows. Conversely, the Windows personal/business split and colored tags might be moving the other direction.
  • White-ness of version 6: While the goal was to unclutter the application, we do realize the new design introduced some usability issues. We are tweaking the colors to provide a great default option for the public release.

From the whole team, thank you for the continuous feedback and help in getting version 6 ready for public release!

• Level 5*

Just installed.  I was editing a note and EN hung.  The banner said things were about 11% indexed.  Have restarted twice, the banner said 0%, I began editing tne note again and each time EN froze again.  Going to open EN and just let it cook to see if it fixes itself.  Any suggestions?

• Level 5*

Please don't say in the release notes that there is a quick reindexing after installing this version. It took me 4 hours to force reindex with the previous beta (see above in this thread for instructions), and it looks like it is going to take a similar time now. I have 15000+ notes, so I accept it probably should take a while, but there is no way that it will be quick!

Please work on removing the extra paragraph breaks between paragraphs.

And one further addition: I have done limited testing, and the indexing is still going on, but the couple of searches that I ran were very fast - not much difference between tag searching and free text searching. So, a big thank you to the devs.

Some feedback:

_ Reindexing took almost 3 hours for 4k notes.

_ The jumping/moving from a modification to a new clipped note to another note is (like always) really slow/lag.

_ Changing the start of a clipped note changes the tittle of the note (it changes to new beginning of note), i need to keep my title. The typical case is a clipped note where i delete the post image and summary.

_ When i am in a note and right click in another note for "Ctrl+Copy note link" it jumps to this note, i lose my original note where i want to link the note...

OK, some quick first impressions:

• Nice to see a little color contrast in the lateral bar. Hoping it's just the beginning of a nice darkish interface.
  • I love the new attachment  icons :wub:. But even though they look beautiful in the snippets view, they seem "strange" in the card view (stupid minor feedback :P). Also, i'm not sure what represents the yellow, green and blue one:
    Captura.PNG
  • Something I noticed in the latest beta and i'm glad to see it changed here is that you reduced the coloring options for notebooks and tags styles removing the useless and ugly ones:P.
  • I think that the style of parent tags should be replicated in the child ones. Also, why not stacks styles?.
  • Still having the ugly old audio attachment player.
  • Trying to open a stack context menu in notebook search just selects that stack.
  • No hierarchy in tags search.

Also....

hace 4 horas, Stephane Lo dijo:

Show reminders information in top list view and side list view.

This refers to the new columns?

And finally... hoping that stacks hierarchy made it to the top of the feature backlog:D... or better... notebook sections :wub:.

1 hour ago, evb said:

Well done: Information on the reindexing progress!

> 14K notes; reindexing in less than 2 hours. More than reasonable.

Colour: Light colours for styling notebook names are useless with a white sidebar (ever tried to see yellow on white?). The dark sidebar on my Mac is better, but the Mac client does not (yet) support notebook name styles.

• Level 5*
Search improvent was noticed quickly. In the last beta EN would say that I had no notes with that content for several seconds before it would suddenly pop up a lot of notes. Deceiving :) 

Great choice to implement an option to include/not include child tags for parent tag selection! My workprocess lives by not including child tags, but I'm sure there are a lot on the opposite side as well. I also see a potential in being able to use both by switching for only some activities!

I miss the X in the search bar from the last beta, which cleared the search. Right click is there but it's more cumbersome, and especially on a touch screen. Especially now when the tag button on the right now further filters, which is also the better choice!

Please make the tag filter pop-out on the right wider, as it won't display a large part of the name. v5 had at least 20 more letters in search suggestions.

I miss saved searches as a pop-out from the search bar as well, even though they are now saved to shortcuts..

I agree on the decision to reduce the number of style colors from like 40, but I miss some of the useful darker ones. A second row of contrasting colors to todays 8, at a total of 16 would be approriate imo.

Hopefully you guys will support more than 255 styles soon.

And as I've mentioned before, if I could ask for only one feature only it would be to bring back the connection between tag/notebook search and the left panel, where a tag search would expand the tag hierarchy and jump to the selected tag in the left panel. Hence the term "jump to". I found the blog post where this was introduced in v4 back in the day It was immensely helpful if you have a tag hierarchy.

• Level 5*

My 15,500 notes took about 7.5 hours to reindex. The good news is that everything seems to be running faster, and I haven't had any crashes this morning. Removing formatting with CTRL-spacebar inserts an extra paragraph break for each existing break - very irritating! Overall, good work on the development side!

Couple of notes first: 

• The new filetype icons are awesome - definitely guides the eye significantly better than the old icons. 
  • Thanks for fixing the file moving issues :)

In terms of bugs, I am still seeing cut off file icons on my SP4 with 175% Scaling. 

ScreenClip.png

Bug: 

Note attachments are not working when dragging in from desktop: http://screencast.com/t/TCBSat4Dv

Log Below: 

10:17:21 [3740] 0% Client is up to date with the linked notebook server, updateCount: 3900
10:17:21 [6640] Client synchronization finished, status: complete
10:17:21 [6640] * 3 items sent
10:17:21 [6640] * elapsed time: 1s
10:17:38 [12280] Finding related content for note "Example Note Title"
10:17:39 [6252] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/note/s506
10:17:42 [12280] * Retrieved from server 0 related content items for note 21852
10:17:46 [12280] Finding related content for note "Example Note Title"
10:17:46 [12280] * Retrieved 0 cached related content items for note 21852

• Evernote Expert
15 hours ago, Stephane Lo said:

We are getting very close to the public release of Evernote for Windows, version 6. We’ve heard a lot of great feedback from all of you so far, and this latest beta brings many fixes and improvements.

You can download the latest Evernote for Windows v6.0 beta here.

-----

Improved:

• Performance
    • Search performance is significantly improved on large accounts. Note that this will require a quick one-time reindexing. This reindexing pauses when you are using the application.
    • Not Responding states are vastly reduced and less severe, at startup time, during sync, and when searching. Let us know if you still see these situations.
  • Navigation and Organization
    • Refine your search inside a notebook by tag. Tag filter now only shows tags from notes in the notebook.
    • Search for notebooks and tags more efficiently. Search terms now match within words instead of prefix.
    • Cleaner note toolbar. Customize and hide the features you don't use often in the overflow.
    • Access all the contextual options for notebooks and tags, such as rename and set style, directly from the notebook/tag search.
    • Toggle the behavior of parent tag selection from the Options menu.
    • Show reminders information in top list view and side list view.
    • Create a new saved search with a right-click on the search description. Saved search will be added to your shortcuts.
    • Use Shift+Alt+T and Shift+Alt+N to refine Tags and Notebooks in the Search info
  • Evernote Business Personal/Business Separation
    • Switching context back and forth between Personal and Business now remembers the note and notebook/tag you're in.
    • Added option to show both personal and business shortcuts in a single list in the toolbar.

Major Bugs Fixed:

• Drag and dropping a file from a note no longer result in an empty file.
  • Attachments no longer appear as broken in the note or invisible in print.
  • Images pasted from some screenshotting tools no longer randomly disappear.
  • And other smaller bugs.

-----

I’d also like to briefly touch upon several topics brought up throughout the last few weeks:

• Feature requests: You’ve all contributed many valid use cases and feature ideas. We really appreciate the enthusiasm and carefully considered them. We also had to prioritize our efforts to not further delay the release of version 6 to the general public. Many of these ideas are captured in the backlog and will be addressed in follow-up releases.
  • Consistency across platforms: It is our approach that Evernote applications leapfrog each other regularly, and great ideas are rolled out to other platforms. Ultimately, we are moving towards consistent navigation and organization models, while leaving enough room to let the platform shine. For example the Android/iOS handwriting and the recent Mac quick switcher, are on the roadmap for Windows. Conversely, the Windows personal/business split and colored tags might be moving the other direction.
  • White-ness of version 6: While the goal was to unclutter the application, we do realize the new design introduced some usability issues. We are tweaking the colors to provide a great default option for the public release.

From the whole team, thank you for the continuous feedback and help in getting version 6 ready for public release!

Hi, I am very much pleased with the new updates. I am especially starting to make better use of the Keyboard shortcuts, to improve my efficiency around working with Evernote. 

However, I am having one small problem. I very frequently use the manual 'Sync' button while using the Windows client. Now, Keyboard shortcut default is 'F9', but my F9 key on the keyboard is broken. Is there any way, i can customize this keystoke to some other key on the keyboard? Will be very useful. Thank you. 

• Level 5*

Don't now how long it took to re-index the 21,000 notes on my test PC, but it was done this morning after running.  Some feedback:

Search for notebooks and tags more efficiently. Search terms now match within words instead of prefix.

This was attempted for a brief period in a beta from the past, forget actually when.  There was a bit of an uproar on the forums and the function was removed and back to searching tags by prefix only.    This is a PITA for "false" positives on tags when within functionality exists.  Mainly because you have to keep typing to get to the tag you want.  Why is this a good idea now I would wonder?

Show reminders information in top list view and side list view.

Very nice, thanks for implementing, great to have columns for those fields.  However, I think an issue has been introduced. 

A saved search I have for late tasks does not work any more in this beta, remindertime:* -tag:!phone* -remindertime:day -remindertimedone:* .   The result should be 10 notes.  Below are screen clips of what was shown when I tried it yesterday evening.  The first is the saved search, the second is keying the search into the search bar, 655 vs 5 notes returned.  This morning the answer both ways is 655.  So it would appear the re-index did something since the entered search went from 5 to 655 by the end of the process.  May be a factoid of merit, if I enter text into one of the wrong notes, it disappears from the search results.  Remove the added text form the note and it is added back to the search results.  Nothing to do with editing or adjusting the reminder date, just playing with text.  Weird.

Saved Search.png

Search Bar.png

Create a new saved search with a right-click on the search description. Saved search will be added to your shortcuts.

How do you get to the current saved searches?

Use Shift+Alt+T and Shift+Alt+N to refine Tags and Notebooks in the Search info

This still doesn't work the same as the existing version.  In the existing version you can hit Shift-Alt-T and then enter a group of tags in sequence (get a match, hit enter).  With this implementation you have to hit Shift-Alt-T for every tag.  Better than mouse - keyboard I suppose, but still a PITA compared to today's method.  Not helped much by the aforementioned within match for tags.  More typing to get the same result, ouch. 

My impressions are still positive on the responsiveness of the app, and I am getting used to the interface, particularly how the search area works now.  Have to remember to clear the existing search before starting another, but the ability to modify the search as you go in one place is great. 

But the feedback points above are problematic, for me anyway.

• Level 5
14 hours ago, csihilling said:

Just installed.  I was editing a note and EN hung.  The banner said things were about 11% indexed.  Have restarted twice, the banner said 0%, I began editing tne note again and each time EN froze again.  Going to open EN and just let it cook to see if it fixes itself.  Any suggestions?

Re-indexing is very I/O intensive process, so we suspend it when while you're using the client to minimize it's interference with what you're doing. If you have a lot of long notes or massive msoffice attachments, suspension is not immediate, and may be perceived as freezing, however this is certainly not expected. Instead of note editing, please try just scrolling the notes, switching notebooks, etc and let us know if it freezes.

When the program is re-started, reindexing continues from the point it was stopped at when the program terminated. However, the banner reports percentage starting from zero.

For now, please leave EN running without using it until it finishes reindexing, and we'll check if the note editing interferes with re-indexing process.

• Level 5
13 hours ago, pepr said:

Reindexing took almost 3 hours for 4k notes.

Did you use the client during this 4 hours? My personal database is 9K notes / 8GB is reindexed in about 20 minutes (i7 2.3GHz / SSD), we had similar results while testing it in house -- noticeably faster than with previous versions).

• Level 5*

Some of my saved searches also seemed to have broken in this beta.  I can no longer filter out completed reminders.  What syntax should I be using?  I am basically trying to show only past due reminders and those due today that have not been completed.

To clarify, this is the syntax that use to work:

reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

-reminderDoneTime:* no longer removes completed reminders from the search.

Also, the global find hot key does not seem to revert to all notebooks.  It uses whatever was last used.

• Level 5
13 hours ago, pepr said:

The jumping/moving from a modification to a new clipped note to another note is (like always) really slow/lag.

Would it be possible to provide the location where you clipped the note you were modifying and DebugView trace output with this moment captured? DebugView can be run from here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/debugview.aspx . 

• Level 5
13 hours ago, pepr said:

Changing the start of a clipped note changes the tittle of the note (it changes to new beginning of note), i need to keep my title. The typical case is a clipped note where i delete the post image and summary.

That title was automatically generated for you using the note content... if you change the note content, the automatic title is re-generated to match the updated note content. If you enter the title yourself, it will stay intact.

13 hours ago, pepr said:

When i am in a note and right click in another note for "Ctrl+Copy note link" it jumps to this note, i lose my original note where i want to link the note...

In Windows, right clicking on a list item to open the context menu selects the item. You may want to open the note you're adding links to in a separate window... this will make searching for notes to link to easier.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, nicobro88 said:

I love the new attachment  icons :wub:. But even though they look beautiful in the snippets view, they seem "strange" in the card view (stupid minor feedback :P). Also, i'm not sure what represents the yellow, green and blue one:
Captura.PNG

Is the lack of the spacing at the bottom of the attachment icon what makes them strange in the snippet view?

yellow, green, blue icon is an artistic representation of "multiple attachments" ... compare to "single attachment" icon on the right.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, gustavgi said:

I miss the X in the search bar from the last beta, which cleared the search. Right click is there but it's more cumbersome, and especially on a touch screen. Especially now when the tag button on the right now further filters, which is also the better choice!

That X button was redundant with All Notes button on the toolbar and with click on Notebook item in the left pane. We removed it so that Search button is always available. Please outline your use cases and we may reconsider...

Please make the tag filter pop-out on the right wider, as it won't display a large part of the name. v5 had at least 20 more letters in sear

Tag Picker popup is supposed to expand to encompass long tag names and the current limit for this seems reasonably high. Would it be possible to post the screen shot to demonstrate your problem?

And as I've mentioned before, if I could ask for only one feature only it would be to bring back the connection between tag/notebook search and the left panel, where a tag search would expand the tag hierarchy and jump to the selected tag in the left panel. Hence the term "jump to".

Notebook/Tag Pickers select the chosen notebook and tag in the left panel, however if the selected notebook or tag happen to be in collapsed hierarchy, the selection is not visible. This is a bug, the client should automatically expand the hierarchy to make the selection visible. Thank you for reporting.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Panzerkampfwagen said:

However, I am having one small problem. I very frequently use the manual 'Sync' button while using the Windows client. Now, Keyboard shortcut default is 'F9', but my F9 key on the keyboard is broken. Is there any way, i can customize this keystoke to some other key on the keyboard? Will be very useful. Thank you

May I recommend you to use a key re-mapper utility? There are lost of them to choose from, just google for "windows key remap".

• Evernote Expert

@kvitekp I have about 11,000+ notes and my DB is about 16 GB. i3 Processor, 4 GB Ram - Didnt take too long to re-index my notes. There was no notification of a re-index process. Took some time for the Notes to display ( I presume this is the process - about 5 minutes - 10 mins, i guess). Went for a showeer, and my EN was good to go :)

hace 1 hora, kvitekp dijo:

Is the lack of the spacing at the bottom of the attachment icon what makes them strange in the snippet view?

No... i was thinking about this... It's a matter of consistency, It feels out of place if you compare it with how an image is presented. I made some simple paint design:
Captura.PNG

The way it's presented right now feels out of place, like if it's thrown over the card. Extending the color looks like it's more integrated to the card. Looking at what I did, maybe the PDF style is "to much", but just extending te background color of the icon to the lateral borders make it feel contained by the card and more consistent with the images.

hace 2 horas, kvitekp dijo:

yellow, green, blue icon is an artistic representation of "multiple attachments" ... compare to "single attachment" icon on the right.

Great!, Thanks! Maybe leaving just the blue clip over the yellow one instead of mixing the colors would make it more understandable :).

PS: I'm getting a pretty nice experience with performance and stability  (KUDOS), so I will just keep bugging you with design details :P.

3 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Would it be possible to provide the location where you clipped the note you were modifying and DebugView trace output with this moment captured? DebugView can be run from here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/debugview.aspx . 

Hi, the post is from this site, but dont know if that matters (the lag occurs with articles from different sites).

Here goes the LOG file.

Thank you,

PEPITO-PEGA.LOG

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, kvitekp said:

That X button was redundant with All Notes button on the toolbar and with click on Notebook item in the left pane. We removed it so that Search button is always available. Please outline your use cases and we may reconsider...

Tag Picker popup is supposed to expand to encompass long tag names and the current limit for this seems reasonably high. Would it be possible to post the screen shot to demonstrate your problem?

As I am on a Surface Pro 4 touch screen, I prefer to have all related actions located on the same side of the screen so that I don't have to move my hands across the screen while I'm still in the same type of operation. But I do think that this applies to mouse activity as well, as you want as litte mouse travel as possible. Sure, as you can see I have managed to "solve" the issue myself with some separators, but since the X was there in the last beta I just wanted to suggest that you keep it. The magnifying glass seem to have no purpose compared to v5, unless I've missed something.

Regarding the "reasonably high" limit for the picker suggestions, there is plenty of screen estate to go with even on a old WXGA screen. My guess is that even if the tag picker would cover half the screen, a user that decides to use the tag picker would rather have more suggestions displayed for a more effective client, than have a larger part of the client visible in the background.

Sure I understand that there is no point in making the picker longer, as you have a vertical scroll bar. But since there is no horizontal scroll bar, information that a user has deemed necessary when naming the tag/notebook is now lost in the search process.

The decision to yellow out the match is a great addition though, I must say!

snip_20160413212409.png

• Level 5*

Definitely something weird occuring with the reminder advanced search syntax in this beta, not seen in the previous beta.

This "reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1" should show pass due reminders and reminders due today only. 

In a sync'd notebook it is working but is including all of the old completed reminders.  I used to include " -reminderDoneTime:* " to get rid of those, but that no longer works.

In a local notebook the same syntax "reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1" is including a few reminders in the future and surprisingly, no completed reminders are being shown.

Major problem with this new beta, i cannot get it to work. As soon as I open Evernote I get a blank screen and not responding. I have tried re-installing, restarting my PC, CTRL-ALT-DEL restarting Evernote but nothing, it just won't go.

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, ianfm said:

As soon as I open Evernote I get a blank screen and not responding. I have tried re-installing, restarting my PC, CTRL-ALT-DEL restarting Evernote but nothing, it just won't go.

This happened to me as well, but in my case a reboot and reinstall did work but it did not trigger the reindex.  All the notes were there but a search would not find anything.  I had to go into the control-help menu and force the reindexing manually.  Kind of wished I had held off on this one ...

9 hours ago, gustavgi said:
I miss saved searches as a pop-out from the search bar as well, even though they are now saved to shortcuts..

me too - have a lot of saved searches - now they are mixed with my other shortcuts ...

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, HerbyDE said:

me too - have a lot of saved searches - now they are mixed with my other shortcuts ...

Interesting, none of my existing saved searches made it to the short cut bar (other than those I already had placed there),  Pretty sure I wouldn't put them there given my druthers.  How to search for them???  So much easier to type and see one in the drop down.  And the short cut bar is shorter now as well.

• Level 5
10 hours ago, csihilling said:

This was attempted for a brief period in a beta from the past, forget actually when.  There was a bit of an uproar on the forums and the function was removed and back to searching tags by prefix only.    This is a PITA for "false" positives on tags when within functionality exists.  Mainly because you have to keep typing to get to the tag you want.  Why is this a good idea now I would wonder?

Because some users prefer sub string search instead of prefix search. We've added highlighting hoping that this would help to detect false positives. Looks like we'll have to make this configurable.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Because some users prefer sub string search instead of prefix search. We've added highlighting hoping that this would help to detect false positives. Looks like we'll have to make this configurable.

Best idea, would have been the way to go the last time it came up.  No reason to create have's and have not's.  ;)

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

I can imagine situations where the option to choose would be nice. So I vote for configuration.

I have noticed a problem with Tables which I use quite frequently.  I tend to move entire rows of information up or down the entire Table using cut and paste of entire rows.  This new version does not allow for the cutting and pasting of entire rows, just individual cells.    

Something weird in this update to the beta. I'm no longer able to drag a note from one notebook into another notebook. I was able to do this in the first release of the Beta.. I can move a note to another Notebook via the Dropdown. Just can't drag it.. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Please do provide a for user setting in Options/Preferences for how to do Tag selection/search/auto-complete/auto-suggestion.
This setting should also apply to Notebooks.

I don't have any actual statistics, but the preference for this does seem to be split almost down the middle.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, csihilling said:

Hopefully this can be an option, but the reason why this changed is that they removed the option to search for tags within the search bar. If you only had "jump to tags" and search by prefix, you would have no way really to find a tag you are looking for.

This is not specific to the latest beta version, but I only have been aware of the issue since the highlighting of search results works properly on high DPI screens.

For PDF files viewed as attachment, there is no indication if they contain a search term or not. Consider the case of a note, that only contains a single PDF file viewed as attachment, and nothing else:
  • The global search finds the note, but does not indicate where a match occurred. Ideally the concerned attachment icon would be highlighted with an orange border.
  • The in-note search immediately displays 'No matches found' after entering only a single key. I.e. it does not consider the PDF content at all! Again, ideally the concerned attachment icon would be highlighted if a match is found inside.
4 hours ago, Manya70 said:

Something weird in this update to the beta. I'm no longer able to drag a note from one notebook into another notebook. I was able to do this in the first release of the Beta.. I can move a note to another Notebook via the Dropdown. Just can't drag it.. 

Ok, I take this back. This is now working for me. I think this was some issue with my PC..Rebooted and all is ok..

• Evernote Expert

I dont know, the re-index never happened for my Laptop, but my Desktop which is about 4 years old, has been running for over 2 hours, yet the re-index shows only 0% :(

Am i doing something wrong? My database has 11,000+ Notes and is 16 GB. :(

After installing BETA 4 yesterday, my "Save to Evernote" COM Add-in (not the new Outlook plugin) for Outlook does not work any more. It shows the error message as attached. 

I tried to re-start the computer but not working. Please help. 

ScreenClip.png

Too often expands the long text of search explanation ("1 note in all notebooks is showing with any ..."). I'm always attempted to read this text an loosing my focus. This behavior may be good for beginners - but it is not good for experienced users. Let the text be vanished till a click (the behavior of version 5 was very good).

So it is important to lift the icon for the tags beside the search field.

tomuchtext.jpg

On 4/12/2016 at 1:42 AM, Stephane Lo said:

Earlier it was possible to save a search and make it available via the shortcuts menu. But I am simply unable to find where this functionality has been placed in the new 6.0

4 hours ago, mlu said:

Earlier it was possible to save a search and make it available via the shortcuts menu. But I am simply unable to find where this functionality has been placed in the new 6.0

Right mouse click anywhere in the space of the search text explanation (not so intuitive ;-) )

save-search.jpg

Problem: In my work I often need to leave a note while searching for another, and then use time to find the first note again (takes time - loose overview). Opening multiple notes is today a little cumbersome as you have to select them via the Windows built in function.

Suggestion: When a note is opened by double clicking the note in the panel, it would be nice if all such opened "windows" would be kept as tabs in the note display window.

My idea is that the active search could be the first tab and then (any) opened notes in the following tabs. Or a backwards <> forwards selection mechanism like the history search next to the account name at the top left. Hovering over would show a list to quickly jump to a particular note.

An issue though: If switching to another account, the open windows belonging to the current open account should be closed. At least I assume it could otherwise cause inconsistencies.

On 4/14/2016 at 6:02 PM, Panzerkampfwagen said:

Love the feature that you guys have integrated search within a string, rather than only a prefix for the Notebooks and Tags. Lovely :)

Wonder what exactly this is and how it is used? Thought that this meant that searching for notes within notebooks "book1" and "book2" could be accomplished by typing " notebook:book* ", but no. Have an updated advanced search syntax covering version 6 been made?

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, mlu said:

Wonder what exactly this is and how it is used? Thought that this meant that searching for notes within notebooks "book1" and "book2" could be accomplished by typing " notebook:book* ", but no. Have an updated advanced search syntax covering version 6 been made?

This means simple : For eg. If you have a tag named Apple.BallCow, and you searched for the string, Ball in the TAG section, Evernote would not return it. Now, if you search for Ball, Evernote will pull out this tag Apple.BallCow, with the search string even if it is between a full word. 

13 hours ago, csihilling said:

In Windows 10, hovering over the EN icon displays all open windows.  Not the same as a tab, but close.

Image.png

Thanks tshilling. I know this as I use W10 myself, but I dislike having windows flowing unstructured around everywhere and messing things up. IMHO it's better if windows belonging to a certain program stays within this programs container, but of course making this configurable would be ideal. After MS-Office made their windows flow around the same way, my productivity has suffered when using this product.

I added a reminder to a note. I am viewing the note in Top List view on Windows 8 with the Reminder category showing. It shows the reminder was added 10 minutes ago not the date to be reminded? Is it possible to show reminder date?

Very good!!!

Some small suggestions:

1 interface User: menu bar set to auto-hide.
2 reminder function:  whether to provide a duplicate reminder settings - is very important;
3 synchronous frequency can be manually filled, and even can be modified immediately after the content synchronization, after all, the user is located in the network environment is not the same, the current "automatic synchronization - every 5 minutes" is too slow for me.
4 "sharing" function in the collaborative approach is too bad, I hardly know the other members of the modified content and itself automatically synchronized trigger time is too long, you have to finish at least 5 minutes and Zai Zai carefully to research in order to understand other members whether to make changes and encounter many people sharing, will be unlimited version conflicts ~ ~
5 edit function: can provide template editor, and template management function

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, rmw1 said:

I added a reminder to a note. I am viewing the note in Top List view on Windows 8 with the Reminder category showing. It shows the reminder was added 10 minutes ago not the date to be reminded? Is it possible to show reminder date?

Did you set a date for the reminder?  Left click on the reminder icon for the note and you can set date and time.

On 4/13/2016 at 7:31 AM, gustavgi said:

I came to find out where saved searches went. I had quite a few with only a key handful saved as shortcuts. Do I now no longer have access to the saved searches that were not shortcuts? I have a *lot* more saved searches than I would want to show up as shortcuts, at least not in the toolbar.

19 hours ago, csihilling said:

Did you set a date for the reminder?  Left click on the reminder icon for the note and you can set date and time.

I did set date but it only shows date reminder added not the date to be reminded

My first impression is that I have been looking at a an Empty Evernote any my old friend Not Responding for the last 10 minutes after installation.

Edit: After 3 restarts, it came up as normal. Can't tell where I am in Indexing, don't see the %indexed referred to.

Not sure how many notes I have, it's in the thousands, but since the All Notes is no longer in the navigation pane, I can't see where the count is. 

I like the options to move the favorites back to the tool bar. Don't really like the 'whiteness' as someone mentioned. One of the reasons, I have moved to the new web version which I use occasionally.

Edit 2: Went to the web version. Still using the old version there. I have about 9K notes. Is there a way to see that in the new Windows version? Another look at the Windows version shows my I have about 17K folder. I archived old deleted mail to a local folder. 

Where do you see the counter for indexing? At this point, Search doesn't work, so I'd like to know when it is finished.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, dbvirago said:

My first impression is that I have been looking at a an Empty Evernote any my old friend Not Responding for the last 10 minutes after installation.

Edit: After 3 restarts, it came up as normal. Can't tell where I am in Indexing, don't see the %indexed referred to. ...

Where do you see the counter for indexing? At this point, Search doesn't work, so I'd like to know when it is finished.

When your installation hung, the reindexing likely did not get kicked off.  I had the same problem.  Use Ctrl - Help to activate the expanded help menu and then select Recreate Full Text Search Index.  This should start the indexing.

To see the note count, there is a small arrow to the right of the search bar.  Click on it to Show Search Info.  The note count is shown there.

On 14/04/2016 at 3:22 AM, kvitekp said:

I vote for configuration too. But please do not remove the sub string search. This is very important in my workflow and I' m very happy to see this back.

On 14/04/2016 at 7:59 PM, Little_Sun said:

After installing BETA 4 yesterday, my "Save to Evernote" COM Add-in (not the new Outlook plugin) for Outlook does not work any more. It shows the error message as attached. 

I tried to re-start the computer but not working. Please help. 

ScreenClip.png

I'm having the same problem.

Feature request: open notebook in New Separate Window.

Often we have to switch between several notebook and it will be great if we could just open notebook in a separate window.
Example when you right click on the left panel on a notebook an option should be there to open this notebook on a New Separate Window.

Using Evernote Business we have product inventory on a notebook and our Client database on another notebook. Switching between the 2 is not very efficient at the moment. We have triple monitors and can only open one EN client. Can it be possible to have like in Outlook the possibility open any folder/inbox/sent items etc in New separate window?

And if could be possible could you keep the Search field open on a specific notebook available so you could search info in that separate window open only?

• Evernote Expert
On 16/04/2016 at 7:49 PM, mlu said:

This means simple : For eg. If you have a tag named Apple.BallCow, and you searched for the string, Ball in the TAG section, Evernote would not return it. Now, if you search for Ball, Evernote will pull out this tag Apple.BallCow, with the search string even if it is between a full word. 

• Evernote Expert
9 minutes ago, Panzerkampfwagen said:

BUG REPORT

@Stephane Lo There is a bug in the current release, and lack of inter-operability across the multiple platforms. For long time, I have been using a Tag, say Apple->Ball. I have used this Tag for over 170 notes, in combination with various other tags, and the notes are in different notebooks. No problem here. I am using Android and IOS also. No problem in the syncing. 

Now, 3-4 days ago, I renamed the Apple->Ball TAG in Windows Beta to say Android.MicrosoftWindows, and sync'd. File is syncing well, and running smooth, but one problem is that, the Windows client is seeing the TAG as Android.MicrosoftWindows, but when i sync, the same notes in IOS and Android are being indexed with the old Tag Name, Apple->Ball only. Primarily, there appears to be no corruption in Note data, but the Tag replace function in Windows is reflecting in the Windows client, but not reflecting in the other clients. Please have a look. 

One more information : I checked the Note in the Evernote Web. The Modified Tag Name has not been updated. It is still showing up as Apple->Ball only. So, i think the Rename Tag function, is getting updated locally on Windows client only, and not syncing to Evernote servers. Please take a look @stephaneLo

One more information : I checked the Note in the Evernote Web. The Modified Tag Name has not been updated. It is still showing up as Apple->Ball only. So, i think the Rename Tag function, is getting updated locally on Windows client only, and not syncing to Evernote servers. Please take a look @stephaneLo

This release is unusable for me, initially I got a not responding when trying to run the app, I have now got the app to launch but then it immediately crashes with this:

Exception Info:
Evernote.exe v.6.0.3.1552 (0xc0000005) EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading from 0x3165222c at 0x00baf0d1

Can't even use it because it crashes within seconds of opening.

BUG: When a saved search is active, then when clicking in the search field to elaborate on the search, the notes found via the saved search disappears. Also the search specification changes just by placing the cursor in the search field.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, ianfm said:

Exception Info:
Evernote.exe v.6.0.3.1552 (0xc0000005) EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading from 0x3165222c at 0x00baf0d1

Can't even use it because it crashes within seconds of opening.

Thank you for reporting! Would it be possible to post the stack trace and developer info that goes below this Exception info? 

14 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Thank you for reporting! Would it be possible to post the stack trace and developer info that goes below this Exception info? 

Exception Info:
Evernote.exe v.6.0.3.1552 (0xc0000005) EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading from 0x000051e7 at 0x00baf0d1

Call stack:
0x00baf0d1 Evernote.exe!0x00baf0d1(0x189fcb4,0xd67398,0,0x189fd5c)
0x00b9b822 Evernote.exe!0x00b9b822(0xbaec70,0xd67398,0,0x189fd5c)
0x00b9b83f Evernote.exe!0x00b9b83f(0xd67398,0x189fd5c,0x4045270,0x3fda140)
0x0044512f Evernote.exe!0x0044512f(0xd67398,0x189fd5c,0x1373a0ba,0x189fd78)
0x0092ecb6 Evernote.exe!0x0092ecb6(0xd67398,0x189fd5c,0xacffdb,0xd67398)
0x005267ff Evernote.exe!0x005267ff(0xd67398,0x51e7,0x40a2d00,0x51ed)
0x00acffdb Evernote.exe!0x00acffdb(0x5,0x4071eb8,0x1008,0x4047348)
0x0405d828(0x5,0xf5ff30,0x4071e68,0)
0x0405d848(0,0x4071ec8,0x9bab100,0x14478c0)
0x0405da68(0,0x3fd854c,0,0)
0x0405da28(0x94adc6,0x1373a34e,0x4045860,0x3ff95f0)
0x009ae555 Evernote.exe!0x009ae555(0x1373a34e,0x4045860,0x3ff95f0,0x769129d0)
0x0094adc6 Evernote.exe!0x0094adc6(0x1373a37a,0xb9e01a,0x4061bb0,0x189ff3c)
0x0094af6a Evernote.exe!0x0094af6a(0x434904,0x4045860,0x1373a2a6,0xb9e01a)
0x0094b299 Evernote.exe!0x0094b299(0x4045860,0x1373a2a6,0xb9e01a,0x4061bb0)
0x00434904 Evernote.exe!0x00434904(0x4045874,0x1373a2ee,0xb9e01a,0x4061bb0)
0x00b9dff4 Evernote.exe!0x00b9dff4(0xb9e01a,0x189ff94,0x769138f4,0x4061bb0)
0x00b9e09c Evernote.exe!0x00b9e09c(0x4061bb0,0x769138d0,0xcb74eb42,0x189ffdc)
0x769138f4 kernel32.dll!0x769138f4 BaseThreadInitThunk+0x24(0x4061bb0,0xa22e5691,0,0)
0x77dd5de3 ntdll.dll!0x77dd5de3 RtlUnicodeStringToInteger+0x253(0xffffffff,0x77dfb7d8,0,0)
0x77dd5dae ntdll.dll!0x77dd5dae RtlUnicodeStringToInteger+0x21e(0xb9e01a,0x4061bb0,0,0)
0x00000000

Developer Info:
 3 C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\xxxxxxxxx.exb (6.9 GB Fixed 3.7 GB free)
 4 Application language: en-US
 10 C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs\AppLog_2016-04-20.txt

• Level 5
16 hours ago, ianfm said:

Exception Info:
Evernote.exe v.6.0.3.1552 (0xc0000005) EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading from 0x000051e7 at 0x00baf0d1

Call stack:
0x00baf0d1 Evernote.exe!0x00baf0d1(0x189fcb4,0xd67398,0,0x189fd5c)

Thank you for posting the stack trace. This is a known issue fixed in the upcoming release.

We lost the hierarchical tag overview window. It used to be, when you clicked on the "Tags" label in the left bar, a window on the right side would show up with all your tags and their hierarchical organization. Now the only thing it does is put "tag:*" in the search bar. The loss of the overview window makes it much harder to work on the hierarchical organization of your tags. Dragging a tag along a long list of tags in the left bar is a PITA, when you have as many tags as I do. Please bring back the tag overview window. "tag:*" is a search I can do myself. 

Bug: When I drag a hierarchical tag tree to put this tree under another tag, it flattens the hierarchy! The hierarchy of the original tree is gone and I have to recreate it manually.

19 minutes ago, Bartm said:

Bug: When I drag a hierarchical tag tree to put this tree under another tag, it flattens the hierarchy! The hierarchy of the original tree is gone and I have to recreate it manually.

It keeps doing it. I'm going to stop recreating my tag hierarchy until this is fixed - every move creates another new mess to clean up. PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!

I've been using this version for a little while now.

Positive:

Seems to run smoother, the wider scroll bar for touch screens is very welcome and the new search options are useful.

Negative:

I'm really missing the search dropdown list (suggestions, recent searches, tags, notebooks & saved searches) as it was a huge time saver for me. The new search bar doesn't seem to allow me to quickly search for a specific folder or tag any more unless I type 'notebook:' or 'tag:', or go to the separate notebook & tag search bars. Please, please, please consider re-instating the old search dropdown.

Like others, I can't find my saved searches & I can only see the few I had previously added to shortcuts. I do not want new saved searches automatically added to my shortcuts.

Saved searches using reminder dates no longer work as expected. For instance I have one that lists notes completed more than 3 months ago that I use for archiving. I this version it shows just notes completed today.

I'm still getting syncing errors and eventually end up with more notes than actually exist (reported in December last year - Ticket# 1359565). I was told this would be fixed in the next major release but I guess it's not going to be this one.

Craig

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Bartm said:

This was mentioned by me in the last beta, and the respons I got in that thread was that this ain't a bug but comes with the function of autoselecting child tags when you click on a parent tag. Either you move the parent tag with the hierarchy intact by not selecting the parent tag (and it's children tags) prior to moving it; you just click and drag as a single operation (but make sure that no other tags are selected as well!) OR you deselect the option to include child tags when clicking the parent in settings.

I have mentioned that EN should reconsider this approach because the risk of data loss with this learning curve is too big, as there is no undo when moving tags..

• Level 5*
On 4/13/2016 at 4:03 PM, s2sailor said:

Definitely something weird occuring with the reminder advanced search syntax in this beta, not seen in the previous beta.

This "reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1" should show pass due reminders and reminders due today only. 

In a sync'd notebook it is working but is including all of the old completed reminders.  I used to include " -reminderDoneTime:* " to get rid of those, but that no longer works.

In a local notebook the same syntax "reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1" is including a few reminders in the future and surprisingly, no completed reminders are being shown.

Just reporting back that the reminder search syntax appears to be working as designed again in the new 6.0.4.1688 public version.

3 hours ago, gustavgi said:

This was mentioned by me in the last beta, and the respons I got in that thread was that this ain't a bug but comes with the function of autoselecting child tags when you click on a parent tag. Either you move the parent tag with the hierarchy intact by not selecting the parent tag (and it's children tags) prior to moving it; you just click and drag as a single operation (but make sure that no other tags are selected as well!) OR you deselect the option to include child tags when clicking the parent in settings.

I have mentioned that EN should reconsider this approach because the risk of data loss with this learning curve is too big, as there is no undo when moving tags..

Gawd! Thanks for responding so quickly! You are right, that works.

I still fail to see why it's obviously logical to flatten hierarchies when dragging multiple tags, but I guess that's just my ignorance. Did cost me a couple of perfectly good working hours. Thanks Evernote!

19 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Thank you for posting the stack trace. This is a known issue fixed in the upcoming release.

I have downloaded and installed the public release and the problem is solved now thank you.

Just installed the public release and I'm disappointed that some of the feedback has not been taken up and rectified now it is out of Beta.

Many have asked about how to find saved searches that we had in the previous version, no response to this whatsoever, is EN going to make it possible for us to use our previously saved searches or do we have to recreate them all and then have them cluttering the shortcuts bar? I don't want all my saved  searches on the shortcut bar. This is a step backwards and for those of us that use EN for our business it is counter productive.

I use EN Business, I have no option when sending a note to EN by email but to have it go to a personal note, I then have to copy the note to a business notebook, find the note to make sure it has copied and then go back to the personal notebook to delete it, this is another counterproductive step, before I could just drag and drop a note. At least give the option to have a note sent directly to a business note if sending it by email and/or move the note from personal to business without having to copy it.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, ianfm said:

Many have asked about how to find saved searches that we had in the previous version, no response to this whatsoever, is EN going to make it possible for us to use our previously saved searches or do we have to recreate them all and then have them cluttering the shortcuts bar? I don't want all my saved  searches on the shortcut bar. This is a step backwards and for those of us that use EN for our business it is counter productive.

The upcoming V6 update will expose all your existing saved searches. Please stay tuned and don't waste your time recreating them as shortcuts.

5 hours ago, ianfm said:

I use EN Business, I have no option when sending a note to EN by email but to have it go to a personal note, I then have to copy the note to a business notebook, find the note to make sure it has copied and then go back to the personal notebook to delete it, this is another counterproductive step, before I could just drag and drop a note. At least give the option to have a note sent directly to a business note if sending it by email and/or move the note from personal to business without having to copy it.

"Copy to Business" and "Copy to Personal" dialogs now have [X] "Delete original note" option, this takes one step from your routine. Due to the way Evernote service is designed, there is no way to move note from personal to business or vice versa, it's always a "create a copy" followed by "delete original" operation.

21 hours ago, kvitekp said:

The upcoming V6 update will expose all your existing saved searches. Please stay tuned and don't waste your time recreating them as shortcuts.

"Copy to Business" and "Copy to Personal" dialogs now have [X] "Delete original note" option, this takes one step from your routine. Due to the way Evernote service is designed, there is no way to move note from personal to business or vice versa, it's always a "create a copy" followed by "delete original" operation.

Yes I see the option to delete the original note now, that makes it much better, thank you.

Am I the only one who is missing the old functionality where you could easily switch between "Search in current context" or "Search in all notes"? I might have misunderstood how it works now, but find myself all the time right-clicking the search spec area, select "Clear search", and then manually typing in the search again. Really a loss of productivity and overview for me.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, mlu said:

Am I the only one who is missing the old functionality where you could easily switch between "Search in current context" or "Search in all notes"? I might have misunderstood how it works now, but find myself all the time right-clicking the search spec area, select "Clear search", and then manually typing in the search again. Really a loss of productivity and overview for me.

There are several complaints already about Evernote removing this important feature for standard searches. Their cryptic explanation is incredibly frustrating. Especially after reading all their boasts about the new and improved Search capability. The only solution Evernote has supplied is to hack the registry by making the following change:  "Set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/ResetContextOnSearch to 1 and the current search context will be cleared when you press F6."

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, mlu said:

Yeah, in the new version all search modifications are current context so if you want all notes you have to reset the context through clicking all notes or entering F6 or your find hot key of choice.

On 4/21/2016 at 3:57 AM, Craig Joiner said:

I'm really missing the search dropdown list (suggestions, recent searches, tags, notebooks & saved searches) as it was a huge time saver for me. The new search bar doesn't seem to allow me to quickly search for a specific folder or tag any more unless I type 'notebook:' or 'tag:', or go to the separate notebook & tag search bars. Please, please, please consider re-instating the old search dropdown.

I just updated to 6.0.5.1723 (301723) Public and I'm also missing the recent searches.  I used that feature hundreds of times a day. :(

6 hours ago, eafpres said:

I just updated to 6.0.5.1723 (301723) Public and I'm also missing the recent searches.  I used that feature hundreds of times a day. :(

Aieeeeee!  I now see that the fields created and updated are NOT in the header in the notes panel!  I used that 100s of times a day due to my workflow.  Having to open info is definitely not convenient.  

The new version has some nice adds!  I just wish there were fewer subtracts!

Archived