Images from camera save as black images

Hi! When taking a photo with the evernote camera, the images initially look just fine and the thumbnail looks fine (first image), but after hitting okay the images save as blank images that are just black (second image). Any help in resolving this issue is greatly appreciated! 

Phone: Sony Xperia z3 Compact
Android version: 6.0.1
Build: Z3 Compact Marshmallow concept latest (MMB29M.Z1.3555-somc) 

Thanks!

Screenshot_20160331-141117.jpg

Screenshot_20160331-141124.png

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure exactly when it started. I haven't used the camera scanner in about 2-3 weeks, so sometime between now and 2-3 weeks ago. I am running version 7.7 right now though. Should I try an older version?

John

When Evernote upgraded to 7.7 on my Android, LG G3 the document camera now produces only a solid black image. Uninstalled. Restarted phone. Downloaded a new Evernote install. Still the same thing. The camera itself works because it will take photos w/in Evernote and post to a note.

Been using Evernote to scan and organize docs for a couple of years now. No probs until now. 

Long-road solution: Use CamScanner, save as a jpeg, then share with Evernote. :-/

Hello, 

I just want to report the same issue that I have started to notice with the beta2 version of 7.5. Versions 7.5.1 and 7.6 did not cause this issue. 

7.5 beta 2 and 7.7 versions have the new scanning functionality unlike 7.5.1 and 7.6 versions. 

On 7.7 version the picture is black unless saved as image or raw. All other formats end up with a black picture. 

Phone: Oneplus one / Android 6.0.1

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Ago

Version 7.7.1 does not solve this issue I am afraid. 

Would be appreciated if someone from Evernote could let us know about this issue as it had been opened for a week without any acknowledgment of this being taken care of.  What about the promise to have quick support being premium account? 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, August1 said:

Version 7.7.1 does not solve this issue I am afraid. 

Would be appreciated if someone from Evernote could let us know about this issue as it had been opened for a week without any acknowledgment of this being taken care of.  What about the promise to have quick support being premium account? 

Hi.  If you've raised a support request,  please post the ticket number here and we can get someone to look into it for you.  If you're referring to the posts here,  this is a user-supported forum and volunteers tend to be available as and when we have time free...

Evernote employee @Matt W. who posted here a few days ago,  is presumably looking into the issue - I'm sure he'll get back to us as soon as there's any progress..

Hello all,

Thanks for hanging in there with us. We have seen multiple reports of this on a range of Android devices. The team is currently looking into what is causing this. I will keep you posted once I get more information.

In the meantime, you are able to use the default camera application on your device to capture the images and then attach them to your notes using the "Add to Evernote" option from the share menu of the image.

16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  If you've raised a support request,  please post the ticket number here and we can get someone to look into it for you.  If you're referring to the posts here,  this is a user-supported forum and volunteers tend to be available as and when we have time free...

Evernote employee @Matt W. who posted here a few days ago,  is presumably looking into the issue - I'm sure he'll get back to us as soon as there's any progress..

Thanks for the clarification, I indeed thought I was logging a bug by posting messages. I have therefore logged a ticket #1546998 before Matt could answer.

@Matt W.  feel free to let us know if we can help by providing logs or anything else.

Cheers.

Augustin

Hey, y'all. I didn't have time to read every little post above this morning, but I see a lot of mention of the Evernote update.

With me, it was immediately after my phone went from Lollipop to Marshmallow. Did anyone else experience that? 

Hello all,

Thank you all for posting. The team is on top of this right now and should be corrected in the next release. In the meantime you can still use the the stock camera application on your device and attach the images or you can disable the "Activate Multi-shot" option in the Camera Settings in Evernote and use the stock camera for the images. This is a workaround in the meantime. I will let you all know when I hear more.

Hi @brightrock,

Hmm. How long ago did you install the Marshmallow update?

The camera issue that people are experiencing is related to the application update itself and is not believed to have to do with the application permissions, as no permissions changed with the update from 7.6.1 to 7.7.

Looks like a coincidental collision between two issues.   Resetting my android theme seems to have fixed several other problems and now the 'Disabling multishot'  workaround works for me, but the other problem remains so.  

I'll wait for the next Evernote app update and assume that it's just a coincidence that I first noticed this right after the Marshmallow update yesterday. 

I also have this problem and it still exist after the latest update.

Motorola G Android 6.0 (patch 1 jan 2016)

Is there any plan to get it fixed?

I was also wondering if it might have connection with another issue as they arrised simultaneously ; After the new ability in Lollipop to use SD card as internal storage Evernote has been regulary chrashing saying that theres is a database error and or error with the card.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt,

I'm running Evernote 7.8 on my Moto G and I'm still having issues with the camera integration. I try to take a picture of a document and I'm using the camera in automatic mode. Now the picture is taken automatically but it is not recognized as a document. So I try to change the value of the "Save as" dropdown box to "Document" but after I did that the picture turns black. The same thing happens when I choose "Color Document" or "Post-It". 

Are you guys aware of this issue? Would be great to have this working again. Let me know if you need any more information or log files from me.

Regards,

Felix

Bild.1.jpg

Bild.2.jpg

Bild.3.jpg

I have got the same problem. When I scan a document the small picture in the corner is black (and also the final result). When I take a picture with the camera, the small picture is normal, but the final result is again a black picture. 

Phone: OnePlusOne, Android 6.0.1 Evernote 7.7.1

Hello all,

It has been a bit since I posted an update on this and wanted to keep you guys up to date. We are working on some pretty cool stuff for the 7.8 update and is in the last part of testing and will be released really soon. Once it has been released I will post again to see if any of you are still encountering the issue with camera.

Hey folks,

We are working on rolling out the update for 7.8 (7.8.2). Please check the Google Play Store for the update over the few days and see if you continue to see black image captures in Evernote.

If you still see them, please list the device name, Android version, and version of Evernote installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Still the same for some reason :( The camera makes a photo, but when I select "Document" (or any other options), the picture turns black.

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, Android 6.0.1, Evernote 7.8.2

All is the same as reported above:

On 4/30/2016 at 5:07 PM, Felix R. said:

Any help appreciated!

On 5/25/2016 at 6:31 PM, AMalakhov said:

Still the same for some reason :( The camera makes a photo, but when I select "Document" (or any other options), the picture turns black.

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, Android 6.0.1, Evernote 7.8.2

It's really magic: all fixed itself today after Xperia System update!

I'll leave this here for anyone else who is experiencing the issue. Even though the play store said that Evernote was installed on my device and didn't show me the option to update I clicked on the installed button and choose my LG G3. The app installed itself and is now version 7.8.2 and most importantly the doc camera works properly again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2016 at 3:17 AM, magician18 said:

I'm using evernote 7.9.2 with sony z3 6.0.1, same problem, black image when saving as documents, it's really annoying as I need to use another app to scan and share to evernote

Also on 7.9.2. On a Samsung Galaxy 5 (Android 6.1)

Also having the black image problem whenever I try to save as a document or a business card.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

Noticing that several of these were happening on Samsungs with Android 6, I did a quick test, and I don't seem to be having the problem. Hopefully the support tickets will get it fixed, but for the benefit of other users, I wonder if @Bryan Sullo or @Gauthier could indicate the circumstances under which the problem occurs.

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote 7.9.3 - Samsung Galaxy S5 - Android 6.0.1

Plus to add note, Camera, Snap picture, shows up in gallery fine, switch to save as "Document", Processes, 100% black rectangle. Sad Panda.

Love Evernote, love little notebooks, hope this gets resolved so I can combine workflows :)

• Level 5
On 8/15/2016 at 11:47 AM, NetizenX said:

Evernote 7.9.3 - Samsung Galaxy S5 - Android 6.0.1

Plus to add note, Camera, Snap picture, shows up in gallery fine, switch to save as "Document", Processes, 100% black rectangle. Sad Panda.

Love Evernote, love little notebooks, hope this gets resolved so I can combine workflows :)

On 8/18/2016 at 11:01 AM, Roseberryrose said:

Exactly the same issue with the camera function. Image on screen goes black as soon as you select document. This issue appears to have a long history going by this thread.

I'm a little lost. How do you "switch to save as 'Document'," or "select document"? For me, I can tap the icon in the upper right corner to switch between Manual and Automatic (document-capturing) mode, but I never see an option to select or save as document.

• 9 months later...

Archived