Evernote for Mac v6.6 Released

EvernoteAlex

Idea

Hi folks,

I’m excited to announce the release of Evernote for Mac v6.6.

Before I present the new features, I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to the community.

I joined Evernote HQ earlier this month as the new product manager of the Mac client. I’m absolutely thrilled to manage an app that I have extensively used and loved for years. Evernote has been the essential tool that I’ve relied on to capture ideas and accomplish goals in my work and personal life. Since 2011, I’ve created more than 4000 notes. Over the past several years, there’s been no app besides Gmail that I’ve used more frequently on a daily basis.

This new role is so much more than just a job to me. I truly feel that it's a privilege to work with the Evernote team — and community — to continually improve a product that I’ve long been passionate about. I’m committed to doing what it takes to ensure that the product continuously provides a great experience for our users.

The team has done a great job delivering Mac v.6.6! Please reply to this post and let us know how you like it! And if you find any issue, please also let us know about it in a reply to this post.

You can download the new version here or from within the app.

Here are the official release notes:

New

• Effortlessly switch between notes. Introducing a new navigation/search feature that lets you switch between notes and notebooks with the tap of a quick key. Just hit “Command-J” to give it a try. (The previous notebook selector is still available with a new shortcut: “Command-Option-J”.)

• Zoom is here! Now you can use “Command-Plus Sign (+)” and “Command-Minus Sign (-)” or pinch gestures on the trackpad to zoom in and out of a note. Two of our developers responded to the call of this long-standing user request and knocked it out in our first ever Hack Week. Enjoy!

• You can now easily duplicate a note from the “Note” menu.

• Manage tags from the note view. Right-click a tag in the note editor to bring up a menu that lets you filter your notes by the tag, remove the tag from the note, or delete the tag from all notes.

• We redesigned the audio recorder for easy, intuitive recording and playback (OS X 10.10+).

Fixed

• For a long time the left side nav used to just highlight the “Notes” tab regardless of what you had selected. We know. Now it highlights your current selection.

• Fixed an issue where local file system URI’s in the source field of a note would open up without notifying you.

• Fixed several issues that were causing crashes.

• Ongoing improvements to stability and sync performance.

Cheers,

Alex

49 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On March 31, 2016 at 5:39 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Really?  It's not worth polluting this thread any further, but I don't know you could type a ">" without holding down shift.
Much ado about nothing.

Maybe to you, JMichael. But you should perhaps remember that not everyone thinks the same, and this confuses a lot of people. Got it right on the first try? Bravo! Not everyone understands it as easily as you seem to, though. Please remember that and respect the comments and issues brought forth by everyone. 

Again, a good example is zooming. Many apps list CMD+ and CMD- as zoom, but technically to type a + you need to hold Shift. And yet that keyboard shortcut doesn’t need it. Why? because the +/- was chosen for ease of memory and KEYBOARD shortcuts refer to keys, not CHARACTERS. 

On April 5, 2016 at 11:55 AM, jpoc said:

Just realized a feature request for the Mac app.

Could "All Notes" somehow be added to the new Search switcher (the command-j one), either by typing All Notes or having it accessible via the input/search's Recent Items listing somehow? I am really getting into it but sometimes need to pop out of a notebook to view my all notes.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing, as I'm really getting into the new CMD+J switcher — WAY more useful than the old one ever was.

For now, however, CMD+SHIFT+A is still working fine, but I agree that it would be nice to just have it in the switcher, as that feels like a more intuitive workflow once one gets into it.

On 4/5/2016 at 5:55 PM, jpoc said:

Could "All Notes" somehow be added to the new Search switcher (the command-j one), either by typing All Notes or having it accessible via the input/search's Recent Items listing somehow? I am really getting into it but sometimes need to pop out of a notebook to view my all notes.

Fully second this. Very happy with the Launchbar/Alfred-like tool to zoom through Evernote-content; jumping to the main overview level would be a helpful addition.

Also, without wanting to be greedy, would it be possible to add functionality to use the switcher to jump to specific tags?

13 hours ago, erwinverb said:

We are definitely considering adding collections like 'All Notes', 'Personal Notes', 'Business Notes' (for our business users) and 'Trash' as items within the note switcher in a future release. Stay tuned!

13 hours ago, erwinverb said:

would it be possible to add functionality to use the switcher to jump to specific tags

We are adding the functionality to surface tags within the switcher, you should see it soon.

Fantastic update! Good features that have increased the usability significantly.

I have a feature request: I want a facility to create 'Smart Collections', just like in Lightroom. There are many times when I want to work on a group of notes that share a tag set. (I use tagging as my primary method of categorization, with only a few Notebooks in play). So for example: I always want  a group of notes that share the tags: Recipe, Italian, Quick & Easy to live together in a Collection. Anytime I create a note with these three tags, it automatically gets added to this Smart Collection. Makes for a quick one-stop shop.

Just like in Lightroom, I want to be able to create all sorts of criteria for a Smart Collection.

For ex: Collect all notes created in Jan-Jun 2015 with tags A and (B or C) without tag D which hold PDF file.

Or

Collect all notes from Notebook-A if created in location: Chicago, IL last year.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Rahul S said:

I have a feature request: I want a facility to create 'Smart Collections', just like in Lightroom.  ... For ex: Collect all notes created in Jan-Jun 2015 with tags A and (B or C) without tag D which hold PDF file. Collect all notes from Notebook-A if created in location: Chicago, IL last year.

Have you looked into using a shortcut pointing to a saved search.

By the way, my Evernote just crashed. And it seems to have messed up the Atlas data. Either the Atlas data is lost or there's a bug. Because, now only 1 out of my 300+ notes shows up on the atlas.

The screen shots on Imgur show what it looks like now. (Obviously, the blurring and squiggles are my work to get a bit of privacy on my location), but it's all black and only shows 1 note!

I have submitted a ticket online.

Edit: Upon rebooting, the issues seems to have resolved itself....

• Level 5*
On 4/10/2016 at 2:25 PM, Rahul S said:

Upon rebooting, the issues seems to have resolved itself....

The first thing to try for recovery from all strange or unusual behavior that suddenly appears on a PC or Mac.

I really hate to rain on everyone's parade here, since everyone else is enjoying 6.6, but when I opened Evernote yesterday it offered me the update from 6.5 to 6.6.  I clicked to accept and the download seemed fine — until it tried to restart.  It crashed.  Since then as soon as I open Evernote, it crashes again.  I already have used the built-in crash reporter to pass on what information I could see (plus the system info it gathers itself, of course), but then I decided to try here.  

I also decided to grab a new download file from the Evernote website and reinstall, but I get the same result. 

I'm running a MacBook Pro (2012) on OSX 10.9.5, if that matters.

I'd be grateful for any help.  TIA.  

I just posted the Same thing! The same the happened to me.... An offer to update....and I have not been able to use my account on THAT machine ( an iMac)... When I uninstalled the app from the App Store and reinstalled ...I saw limited amount of notes. 

When I reinstall it w Evernote Web for Mac I see all the notes, but trying to do anything with them ( clicking on them or even syncing) crashes the account.

i am able to use the same account on my MacBook and another iMac on which I have NOT updated to 6.6... They still have 6.5

On 4/17/2016 at 10:44 PM, Cecily Thompson said:

I just posted the Same thing! The same the happened to me.... An offer to update....and I have not been able to use my account on THAT machine ( an iMac)... When I uninstalled the app from the App Store and reinstalled ...I saw limited amount of notes. 

When I reinstall it w Evernote Web for Mac I see all the notes, but trying to do anything with them ( clicking on them or even syncing) crashes the account.

i am able to use the same account on my MacBook and another iMac on which I have NOT updated to 6.6... They still have 6.5

Sounds like you may have not fully uninstalled Evernote. Did you follow these instructions?
https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/208314248 

• Level 5*
On April 17, 2016 at 7:44 PM, Cecily Thompson said:

You might look at the discussion here https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/95513-crashing-evernote-account/?do=findComment&comment=404874

It discusses a cleaner app you can use to remove Evernote from your device.  This will allow you to do a fresh install.

I am loving the new CMD+J shortcut!

Although my workflow has been disrupted a little bit. I have a series of saved searches in my shortcuts, they search within a specific notebook and tag. But when I click the saved search for Notebook A with Tag A and if nothing in that notebook has Tag A it searches all of my notebooks and lists everything with Tag A. It shows 45 items when it should show me 0. Is there a setting some where that I can turn off to stop it form doing this? Thanks!

• Level 5*
On April 24, 2016 at 9:48 AM, curtisdevault said:

when I click the saved search for Notebook A with Tag A and if nothing in that notebook has Tag A it searches all of my notebooks and lists everything with Tag A.

I can confirm the same results.
I'd recommend opening opening a support ticket

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 12.00.44 PM.png

• Level 5*
On 4/24/2016 at 11:48 AM, curtisdevault said:

But when I click the saved search for Notebook A with Tag A and if nothing in that notebook has Tag A it searches all of my notebooks and lists everything with Tag A.

Sounds like a bug to me.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

I can confirm the same results.
I'd recommend opening opening a support ticket

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 12.00.44 PM.png

5 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sounds like a bug to me.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

Thanks! I'm not sure how I missed that bug report page. Done.

Hi Alex :-) ... I am feeling so good, to be able to communicate with the new product manager of the Mac client :-) . I have been struggling unsuccessfully for about 2 years with my REQUEST .   I so very much hope that you can help me with this.   I have a MacBook Air, 10.11.4 ... and I am using Evernote 6.6.1 , the  "Basic - Free"  version.   I have been using Evernote for about ?8? years.   In the beginning, I bragged to everyone about how fantastic and useful and clever it is, describing that the  Tags  allow Evernote to be like a group of Master Folders, each with many Sub-Folders :-) !   I am retired, but very very busy about  "Climate Change"  and about the annual  500 murders  in Chicago, both projects since about 2012.   It has been very helpful to keep notes, and to search, with Evernote :-) .   Here is my  REQUEST ... In the beginning, the  "To-do"  Checkboxes  were  Black  with  White  Checkmarks  {as they still are in my iPhone 6+ - Thank goodness ! - Please please please do not change this ! } .   Therefore, when scrolling quickly up and down, it was very very easy, in my computer, to see a  Black  Checkbox .   {Please note that it is much more convenient for me, to have the e.g. food items which I would like to buy, as a  Black  Checkbox  and a  White Checkmark .}   About 2 years ago, I complained that the  Checkboxes  in my computer were barely visible !   A helpful support person, Nick L., said, "When we redesigned Evernote to version 6, we introduced a 'flat' design to go along with OS X Yosemite's design.   This resulted in some user interface changes including the checkboxes."   I thought that this was a miserable idea, to force me to scroll slowly, squinting to see the  Checked  Checkboxes , which now have tiny faded  Checkmarks  on a faded  Checkbox !!!   {Extra comment - I think that it is a miserable idea to imitate what e.g. Apple has done, and it is not a good idea ... It has bothered me that it is difficult to see the  Faded  Flat  items in Apple programs ! }   SO ... Please please please revert back to the  Black  Checkboxes  with  White  Checkmarks , as it was in the beginning :-) , and, of course, have this happen in my computer, changing all these automatically in my computer, back to the way they were in the beginning.   IF you do not want to do this ... could you have a choice in  "Preferences" , so that I can choose to have the  Black  Checkboxes  with  White  Checkmarks .   NOTE - I used to brag to many people about Evernote - Now I do not do that.   ALSO - I will not upgrade from  "Basic - Free"  to  "Plus" , unless I can have  Black  Checkboxes  with  White  Checkmarks  in my computer.

Evernote is the best and this a great update :D

I've run into a bug though with one of the product features I use very often, the Menubar quicknote dropdown box.  The text margins now extend beyond the window and I have to scroll left/right to see everything I've typed.  Prior to this update, the wordwrap used to work so that all of the text was visible without needing to scroll.

I run Evernote on the Web, on a Mac, an iPad and a Windows machine at work. The Mac version doesn't apply  //Simplify Formatting// as easily as on the iPad or the Windows apps.

Nice update... As a 16+ year user (8 as premium) the only thing better (and I was hoping) was for some big improvements in the printing capabilities on the Mac, such as page break control and printing PDFs without having to open them first. Just saying...

I've only been using it for about five minutes. My initial feedback would be that this is the greatest update to date (since I have been using EN anyway). Being able to quickly filter by a tag on the note and actually being able to see the current selection highlighted in the left menu...these are huge improvements. The zoom and search features, of course, are great as well.

Keep up the awesome work Evernote Mac team! Now that the current selection is highlighted, perhaps we could also consider being able to add notes directly into the currently selected tag/context. :)

Also, welcome Alex. Looking forward to what you and the team come up with in the future.

Hi Alex;
I’m a first time user too & really love Evernote since his first release… use it all day long...
… but using the 6.6 since 10 minutes and I just don't understand one thing : the shortcuts to make text bigger or smaller change in 6.5 update (⌘ ⇧ < for minus the type size or ⌘ ⇧ > to make it bigger). Not usefull but it was to implement the ⌘+ / ⌘- for Zoom in &out so I understand...
What I don’t understand is that it just change again with the 6.6 !!!   and for now, it’s really not usefull with a french azerty keyboard !
have found an alternative with the keyboard shortcuts manager under OSX but really don’t understand why you change again these shortcuts...

oh, "one more thing" : if the team could work on the long waiting shortcuts for Copy Style / Paste Style commands, it will be great….

Cheers
Matthews
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, Matthewzzz said:
… but using the 6.6 since 10 minutes and I just don't understand one thing : the shortcuts to make text bigger or smaller change in 6.5 update (⌘ ⇧ < for minus the type size or ⌘ ⇧ > to make it bigger). Not usefull but it was to implement the ⌘+ / ⌘- for Zoom in &out so I understand...
What I don’t understand is that it just change again with the 6.6 !!!   and for now, it’s really not usefull with a french azerty keyboard !
have found an alternative with the keyboard shortcuts manager under OSX but really don’t understand why you change again these shortcuts...

I’m sorry you’ve been inconvenienced by this. Like you said, we originally had bigger and smaller use Cmd-Shift-> and Cmd-Shift-<. Unfortunately that made this functionality completely unusable for some keyboard layouts which had < and > on the same key. We changed it to Cmd-Shift-. and Cmd-Shift-, so that on English keyboards the shortcuts are still the same, while they are now usable on more keyboards. I hope this makes sense and I apologize again for the inconvenience.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Adjusting said:

We changed it to Cmd-Shift-. and Cmd-Shift-, so that on English keyboards the shortcuts are still the same, while they are now usable on more keyboards. I hope this makes sense and I apologize again for the inconvenience.

@Adjusting, I believe a more precise, clearer way of stating the shortcut for font size increase/decrease is as @Software Marcus stated it in the EN Mac 6.5 release thread:

On 2/18/2016 at 5:04 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

Today we're releasing Evernote for Mac 6.5.  Here are the official release notes.

New

• We changed the key command for increasing or decreasing font size.
    To increase, hit “
    ⌘>” and
    to decrease, hit “
    ⌘<.

• This aligns with other office productivity applications and allows us to use⌘+ and ⌘- for a future Zoom feature.

Obviously, for most US keyboards, to produce a ">" or "<" you have to hold down the SHIFT key.
But for some keyboards, notably in Europe, a SHIFT is not necessary.

Thus the notation, ⌘>” and  ⌘< works for all keyboards.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Thus the notation, ⌘>” and  ⌘< works for all keyboards.

I always find this confusing. So, as an English keyboard user, do I hold Shift or not? It's better to list the keys needed per keyboard. Especially when Zoom is referenced as Cmd+/Cmd- and one of those keys needs a shift while the other does not. I'm not at my Mac right now to test it, but do you have to hold shift for the + to zoom? Or is it technically Cmd= and just referred to as Cmd+ for ease of memory?

In my job I work with a lot of people not fluent in computers and they absolutely do not understand this, either. So IMHO the convenience of a single notation does not outweigh the confusion created when there's a hidden key in there to type that the user has to figure out.

Remember, they're KEYBOARD shortcuts, not CHARACTER shortcuts. We should reference keys to be used, IME.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, chirmer said:

I always find this confusing. So, as an English keyboard user, do I hold Shift or not?

Really?  It's not worth polluting this thread any further, but I don't know you could type a ">" without holding down shift.
Much ado about nothing.

If this is the biggest issue we have to worry/debate about with Ver 6.6, then GREAT!  It looks like a solid update, so after holding off only for a couple of days, I'm updating today.  ?

Looks nice and it also looks just like the Windows client now.  The ability to filter by tag has been around in the windows client for a very long time so I'm curious as to why implement that now as opposed to as a part of the standard layout?  Any plans to address gaps in functional consistency like this?  If so, I'd be really happy.  

• Level 5*

@EvernoteAlex:

Is the new Tag Inheritance feature in the New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 Beta  coming to EN Mac soon?

57 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Tag inheritance is included in the new Windows beta.  So if you create a tag hierarchy with Animal as the parent and the rest as children, you would be able to do a tag:Animal search and get all the notes even without any of them being tagged with Animal. 

I just noticed that the Left sidebar tags now displays all tags, not just my tags, with no active search. Note display is set to 'my notes' and clicking the tag icon atop the snippet view shows only my tags.

I fear this left sidebar display was a deliberate change; I hope it's a bug.  

What I want, and what I thought was in the development stream is the ability to scope tags to just my tags.  Otherwise I am flooded with tags that happen to be used by colleagues who share notebooks.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, skkippy said:

What I want, and what I thought was in the development stream is the ability to scope tags to just my tags.  Otherwise I am flooded with tags that happen to be used by colleagues who share notebooks.

I agree.  If the View > My Notes is checked, then everything displayed should come ONLY from MY Notes.  This would include Tags and Notebooks displayed in the Left Sidebar, in the Notebook Filter list, the Tag Filter List, the Notebook and Tag selection list in the Note header.

I'm now running 6.6 Direct 453293 Direct on two Macs and one has the new Switch to feature and the other does not. What gives!? Unfortunately it's my shiny new Macbook Pro that I just received and am migrating to that doesn't have the feature available. :-(

1459889726.png

1459889756.png

On 30 March 2016 at 2:16 AM, EvernoteAlex said:

Hi folks,

I’m excited to announce the release of Evernote for Mac v6.6.

New

• Effortlessly switch between notes. Introducing a new navigation/search feature that lets you switch between notes and notebooks with the tap of a quick key. Just hit “Command-J” to give it a try. (The previous notebook selector is still available with a new shortcut: “Command-Option-J”.)

• Zoom is here! Now you can use “Command-Plus Sign (+)” and “Command-Minus Sign (-)” or pinch gestures on the trackpad to zoom in and out of a note. Two of our developers responded to the call of this long-standing user request and knocked it out in our first ever Hack Week. Enjoy!

•  

Cheers,

Alex

Hey Alex, thanks for your introduction.  

Looking forward to what I hope will be more Hack Weeks in the future with more useful features coming our way!

Keep up the good work.

11 hours ago, Ben Craib said:

Hi - I live in UK - No sign of the update - do you know when it will be out?

Hi Ben,

I went and downloaded the newest version straight from the website since it's not in the App Store yet.  You can run the install over the top of the current installation.  It did tell me it had to make copies of my notes because I was replacing an "app store version" with an "app store" version but no hiccups.  Took about 5 mins or so.

Hope that helps!

11 hours ago, Ben Craib said:

Hi - I live in UK - No sign of the update - do you know when it will be out?

Sorry for the delay, we tend to release the direct download version earlier (available directly from our website) while we wait for the app to be approved on the AppStore. We have just released the AppStore version and you should see it soon.

23 hours ago, corca006 said:

I'm now running 6.6 Direct 453293 Direct on two Macs and one has the new Switch to feature and the other does not. What gives!? Unfortunately it's my shiny new Macbook Pro that I just received and am migrating to that doesn't have the feature available. :-(

Can you quit your client on the Mac that is not seeing the new switcher and then relaunch it and tell me if you still do not see it. We have just noticed an issue where when it is a fresh download of the app, sometimes you won't see the switcher until you relaunch.

Archived