Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am using Evernote tags to manage my learning and review schedule.

I have two questions about those tags:

  1. When I look at my tag window, there is no count of nested tags. Only the particular tags. Example: The "higher level" tags count is zero, even though nested tags within them are being used on multiple notes. See attachment "tag count.jpg". Is there any way to change that count to show everything at that level plus all the nested stuff?
  2. In the left-panel, I want to be able to click on "Organizations" and then see all notes that have been tagged "Organizations" plus all notes that were tagged with something nested within "Organizations". Is this possible? See attachment "see all nested tags.jpg".

Thanks! 

tag count.jpg

 

see all nested tags.jpg

Edited by WeCanLearnAnything
Edited title and 2nd picture.

Share this post


Link to post
On March 26, 2016 at 0:54 PM, WeCanLearnAnything said:

 

  1. When I look at my tag window, there is no count of nested tags. Only the particular tags. Example: The "higher level" tags count is zero, even though nested tags within them are being used on multiple notes. See attachment "tag count.jpg". Is there any way to change that count to show everything at that level plus all the nested stuff?
  2. In the left-panel, I want to be able to click on "Organizations" and then see all notes that have been tagged "Organizations" plus all notes that were tagged with something nested within "Organizations". Is this possible? See attachment "see all nested tags.jpg".

As you pointed out tag count shows only the notes flagged with that tag. It does not add in the count for nested tags. Also clicking on the parent tag, or a search of the parent tag does not include the child tags.

To achieve what you ask for;  you need to tag the notes with the parent tags.

There are users who believe the current process is incorrect, however that is open to debate and a different discussion.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Any ideas on how I might reorganize my tags?

I don't see it as a tag organization issue

When tagging your notes, include all tags that are significant.  If you want your note included in Organizations you need to tag it with Organizations

Share this post


Link to post

There's a really beefed up Chrome extension Evernote editor called AlterNote... which when used together with the Evernote Web Client, allows for some fascinating stuff. One of the things you can do is tag a note with all its parent tags. The curious thing is that it knows what your nested tag structures look like and adds all ancestor tags to a note with the mere click of a button. Below you'll see I start out with 2 tags and end up with 6... all according to the nested hierarchy in which this note finds itself:

Parent tags.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

I see.

Any ideas on how I might reorganize my tags?

You can do an ANY sort for all of the tags under and including the parent.  Bulk select the tags and then change the ALL to ANY in the search description. 

FYI, the current beta version of Windows EN has tag inheritance and will do what you are trying to do.  You can try it if you like by going to Tools - Options - General and clicking on Enable beta features and updates.  To be clear. it is a beta with the attendant risks.

Still no total of parent and child tags though.  Doubtful to happen I would think since you can use the parent to tag as well so what total to display?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My first level of tags is  the same as my notebook names. However some tags underneath have subtags so my solution only works for the top level.

If you want, you could add the level to the tag names. 

Using your example. The last category would be "Organization-Profit-Accounting"

You can then do selective tag searches using wildcards.

See: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php and

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, csihilling said:

FYI, the current beta version of Windows EN has tag inheritance and will do what you are trying to do.  You can try it if you like by going to Tools - Options - General and clicking on Enable beta features and updates.  To be clear. it is a beta with the attendant risks.

@WeCanLearnAnything:

I would caution against updating to a BETA version (of any product) just to solve an organizational issue.
Unless you have a pressing, compelling need, something that has broke your workflow, I would stay away from Evernote Beta's.  IMO, there is far more risk to your workflow with a BETA than any benefits you might obtain.

It is not clear which beta @csihilling is referring to.  There are currently two beta available:

If you read the discussions in these beta topics, you will see there are a number if new issues introduced by each beta.

@WeCanLearnAnything, if you have worked this long with the limitations of tag hierarchy, then you can probably last another few weeks until the BETA is released into production.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

@WeCanLearnAnything:

I would caution against updating to a BETA version (of any product) just to solve an organizational issue.
Unless you have a pressing, compelling need, something that has broke your workflow, I would stay away from Evernote Beta's.  IMO, there is far more risk to your workflow with a BETA than any benefits you might obtain.

It is not clear which beta @csihilling is referring to.  There are currently two beta available:

If you read the discussions in these beta topics, you will see there are a number if new issues introduced by each beta.

@WeCanLearnAnything, if you have worked this long with the limitations of tag hierarchy, then you can probably last another few weeks until the BETA is released into production.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

 

20 hours ago, csihilling said:

To be clear. it is a beta with the attendant risks.

I'm talking about the 6.0 beta.  Current production version of Windows is 5.9,8 so not sure you can get at the 5.9.7 Beta anymore.  I've been using 6.0 on my backup system since it came out and the things that are missing are noted in the beta thread.  Main issues I've found for my workflow are I can't find saved searches and Shift-Alt-T doesn't work.  No response in the forum from EN at this point.  Other than that, works okay for me.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...