New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 Beta

• Level 5*

This is interesting ... I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this ...

If I copy a line with a check box and try to paste it into MS Word,

this in Evernote,

Evernote.jpg

becomes this in MS Word.

MS Word.jpg

The checkbox is replaced by Error! Filename not specified.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

If I copy a line with a check box and try to paste it into MS Word,

this in Evernote,

becomes this in MS Word.

The checkbox is replaced by Error! Filename not specified.

Behind what you see in notes, Evernote uses an extended form of HTML code called ENML.

I can understand if some custom items (like checkboxes) get messed up in translation to other apps.

I have home set as my default notebook and I routinely like to go through and assign new notes with either tags or different notebooks using a search like -tag:* notebook:home to show all untagged notes in my home notebook. However, this no longer works in 6.x beta. The -tag:* is working but the notebook selection isn't (I have to manually select the Home notebook and only use the -tag:* in search). Also, will there be a way to save searches in 6.x?.

• Level 5*

Just set up several test tags because I had temporary problems adding any tags to notes.  Highlighted the test tags to delete all of them,  but only the last one was deleted.  It appears tags can only be deleted one at a time in the left window. Plus Evernote crashed without any error messages when I clicked on the next tag...  ???

Edit - when I clicked the EN shortcut to restart,  this window popped up.  Added a link to this post as explanation...

Clipboard-1.jpg

Evernote re-appeared after I sent the report,  repeated the 'indexing your database' message.  Highlighted and deleted the next tag in the left panel - and the focus jumped to Notebooks.  Scrolled down again and repeated with another tag - focus jumped again.  Tried multi select again - still only deletes one;  but at least the app didn't crash this time.

(Thanks by the way guys for the fantastic work you've done on this update - once the teething troubles are out of the way this will be an outstanding client to use.:))

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

I can understand if some custom items (like checkboxes) get messed up in translation to other apps.

Maybe, but this is new behavior that started with the introduction of the new editor code.  It worked fine earlier.  When the new editor first appeared the checkboxes were just ignored and not copied over.  This error message appears to be new with this beta.

Don't know if this has already been reported but there are still major issues with touch interface. The note can't be scrolled with 1 or 2 fingers in the normal way by touch (I'm using a Surface Pro 4). The Notes list can be scrolled with 1 finger, but the scrollbar doesn't seem to be selectable by finger touch. The note itself can be scrolled with 2 fingers but only using a really weird technique I learned for 5.x: you have to hold one finger on the screen, then drag a second finger vertically below the first finger. This works but is strange. Dragging 2 fingers or holding 1 finger in place and dragging a second finger horizontally next to it won't work.

It looks like other features are being added that use hovering which isn't usable by touch. I'm not necessary advocating a touch first interface, but it would be nice if features could still be used by touch through menus or alternative methods. At least the basics such as scrolling should work, though.

At least the wider notes scrollbar, which doesn't work with touch, is now workable with the stylus.

Evernote is there to Remember Everything! Unfortunately, one on the things that bugs me a lot is that Evernote clients forget a lot: window size, open notes, settings for individual notebooks, etc. Every time that the app(lication) is started again, you're stuck with only a bit of information from the last time that it was open. I imagine Evernote as a platform where my thoughts and bits and pieces of work and life are around all the time. I use different view settings for specific notebooks; for example for a tasks notebook I want to see a list with specific columns and sort order that is useful in this context, but for a notebook with lots of pictures I prefer a card view with other sort settings. Let me open multiple notes, maybe in tabs, and bring them up again when I return. Browser usage tells us that too many tabs are more evil than good, but having none is not an option, either. We should rather find better ways to organise them and to remember what we were doing when we left. The idea of an updated desk-top metaphor where you have all your important notes and notebooks sorted out neatly and persistently comes to mind.Does this make sense to you?

• Level 5*

It's a huge problem for me that the search suggestions for tags/notebooks only show a small part of the entire name of the tag/notebook. This could be a dealbreaker for me if the regular search bar doesn't have search suggestions...

• Level 5
On 4/6/2016 at 5:42 PM, gazumped said:

Evernote re-appeared after I sent the report,  repeated the 'indexing your database' message.

@gazumped  I could not locate your crash in our database, so it would be very helpful if you could forward it directly.

Please send us the most recent .txt file found in your Evernote Crashes folder. To locate this folder, click Tools/Options/[General] "Open database folder", go up one level in the Windows Explorer window, Crashes folder is just above the Databases folder. There is no need to send the entire *.txt file, the stack trace section at the very top is what we're after at this point. It looks like this:

Exception Info:
Evernote.exe v.6.0.0.390 (0xe06d7363) C++_EXCEPTION at 0x7520c42d

Call stack:
0x7520c42d KERNELBASE.dll!0x7520c42d RaiseException+0x58(0xe06d7363,0x1,0x3,0x188ef4)
0x00b766ac Evernote.exe!0x00b766ac(0x188f20,0xe0885c,0xdb32623f,0xf25628)
0x00884ab6 Evernote.exe!0x00884ab6(0x1714aa8,0xd0ead0,0x5f45498,0xdb326263)
0x00885cce Evernote.exe!0x00885cce(0x188f9c,0,0,0x1)
0x0082f1bf Evernote.exe!0x0082f1bf(0,0,0x188fec,0)
0x00833418 Evernote.exe!0x00833418(0,0,0,0x18ba20)
0x0049ec7f Evernote.exe!0x0049ec7f(0,0,0,0)
0x00000000

• Level 5*

Hi @kvitekp - here you go:

Exception Info:
Evernote.exe v.6.0.2.1349 (0xe06d7363) C++_EXCEPTION at 0x76e64598

Call stack:
0x76e64598 KERNELBASE.dll!0x76e64598 RaiseException+0x48(0xe06d7363,0x1,0x3,0x2d25fc44)
0x00b9109c Evernote.exe!0x00b9109c(0x2d25fc70,0xe30c00,0xe85809f9,0xf4fab0)
0x0089bfc6 Evernote.exe!0x0089bfc6(0x6e0c4f0,0xd328c0,0x8962e50,0xe8580905)
0x0089d1de Evernote.exe!0x0089d1de(0x2d25fcf4,0x2,0x2,0x50)
0x008464d5 Evernote.exe!0x008464d5(0x2,0x2,0x50,0x2d25fdc8)
0x00847934 Evernote.exe!0x00847934(0x2d25fdc8,0x2,0x2,0xe8580835)
0x007dee2f Evernote.exe!0x007dee2f(0,0,0,0)
0x00000000

Clean, fast, and enjoying new navigation options.

A few day-1 comments:

1. I was hoping to be able to select which Notebooks to sync to my PC (similar to that capability on iOS). As PCs go from huge hard disks to SSD drives (mine is 128 GB), I really need that functionality. As a Premium customer, I'm allowed to upload 120 GBs each year: however, I cannot take advantage of that because my database wouldn't fit on my PC's SSD drive.

2. When I right click a note, the menu:
* shows "Move Note to Trash" ~ why not simply name it "Delete"?
* has "Present" (rarely used) at the bottom ~ I'd prefer "Tag Note..." at the bottom (use it many times daily)

3. I created an Ink Note:
* it's pretty good actually (I use a DELL Venue Active Stylus on an HP Spectre x360 Convertible)
* is there an eraser?
* I pressed the "Shape" button, but it doesn't seem to do anything
* my handwriting is very legible, but when I search it's as if Evernote hasn't scanned the note to recognize what I've written
* I'm not able to edit this Ink Note on my iPad's EN app

... stay tuned, I'm sure I'll give some more feedback

ps white UI is fine... turned down screen brightness and saving battery life :)

• Level 5*

Hi @kvitekp,

I have been getting multiple crashes with this version since it became available. I have sent several reports in, but here is the call stack from the latest one:

Exception Info:
Evernote.exe v.6.0.2.1349 (0xe06d7363) C++_EXCEPTION at 0x76bcdad8

Call stack:
0x76bcdad8 KERNELBASE.dll!0x76bcdad8 RaiseException+0x48(0xe06d7363,0x1,0x3,0x994fc44)
0x00b9109c Evernote.exe!0x00b9109c(0x994fc70,0xe30c00,0xcec232c3,0xf4fab0)
0x0089bfc6 Evernote.exe!0x0089bfc6(0x7e3c608,0xd328c0,0xa2f89c0,0xcec2323f)
0x0089d1de Evernote.exe!0x0089d1de(0x994fcf4,0x2,0x2,0x50)
0x008464d5 Evernote.exe!0x008464d5(0x2,0x2,0x50,0x994fdc8)
0x00847934 Evernote.exe!0x00847934(0x994fdc8,0x2,0x2,0xcec2330f)
0x007dee2f Evernote.exe!0x007dee2f(0,0,0,0)
0x00000000

I haven't kept all of the crash logs, but if you need more call stacks let me know.

On 3.4.2016 at 8:41 AM, Holmes245 said:

Ugh. Get rid of some white space. Seriously. I know a lot of people who are not happy that Evernote uses a lot of it. Now the whole thing is white. Yes, the UI is brighter but it's just too hard on the eyes.

I'm still going through it but the UI color is really bleh!

Indeed too much white for my taste. Do it like Office 2016: add some higher contrast themes for people who fear the black of white desert. It was then one major improvement over Office 2013 and it took Microsoft 3 years. Be faster

On 7.4.2016 at 7:05 PM, Duhtch said:

Clean, fast, and enjoying new navigation options.

A few day-1 comments:

1. I was hoping to be able to select which Notebooks to sync to my PC (similar to that capability on iOS). As PCs go from huge hard disks to SSD drives (mine is 128 GB), I really need that functionality. As a Premium customer, I'm allowed to upload 120 GBs each year: however, I cannot take advantage of that because my database wouldn't fit on my PC's SSD drive.

2. When I right click a note, the menu:
* shows "Move Note to Trash" ~ why not simply name it "Delete"?
* has "Present" (rarely used) at the bottom ~ I'd prefer "Tag Note..." at the bottom (use it many times daily)

3. I created an Ink Note:
* it's pretty good actually (I use a DELL Venue Active Stylus on an HP Spectre x360 Convertible)
* is there an eraser?
* I pressed the "Shape" button, but it doesn't seem to do anything
* my handwriting is very legible, but when I search it's as if Evernote hasn't scanned the note to recognize what I've written
* I'm not able to edit this Ink Note on my iPad's EN app

... stay tuned, I'm sure I'll give some more feedback

ps white UI is fine... turned down screen brightness and saving battery life :)

"Selective Sync" is what I expect these days from a cloud service and not only on mobile where it is obvious. Devices some in all sizes and if Evernote wants to be ubiquitous that it has to respect that "download everything" is not the solution. Premium use will drive Evernote into a flexible knowledge and document mangement system that should honor that the mode of access to this wealth of information will have to adjusted to the respective device just used. 

This is basically a must for the poweruse that are willing to pay...

Hi

I have a problem which existed already in earlier releases.

I run Evernote under Wine in Ubuntu 14.10

Works but the active note window is not displayed!!

Only when i startup the then active note is displayed correct.
When i click anotner note the title is updated but the note content not....
Dubble clicking on the note gives new window with correct content.

Could this be looked after?
Would be great if this can be fixed so that many Linux users can use the native Evernote client there!

Many many thanks in advance!

Ray

• Level 5*

After having lots of crashes over the last week, I turned off the note panel and did some of the things that were associated with crashes. Since turning of the notes, I have not had a single crash, in several hours of doing some housekeeping on the 15000+ notes that I have. I have some more things to test out, but things are going much faster, and with less cursing, than before. The searching for words in text is still incredibly slow, but searching for tagged items makes that somewhat redundant. I will update this post if I find any major problems with my approach, or if I can use anything other than the list view to get things done without crashes.

• Level 5
On 4/7/2016 at 8:46 AM, gazumped said:

Hi @kvitekp - here you go:

Exception Info:
Evernote.exe v.6.0.2.1349 (0xe06d7363) C++_EXCEPTION at 0x76e64598

@gazumped Thank you for the stack trace! I believe this crash is fixed, however, to make sure we'll need a few lines from below the stack trace: the section titled "Developer Info" which looks like this:

Developer Info:
 0 Database exception: CantGetStatement "SELECT data, csn FROM attrs WHERE uid = ? AND aid = ? AND afl = ?", error: no such table: attrs in Prepare
 4 Application language: en-US
 10 C:\Evernote.X\Logs\AppLog_2016-01-05.txt

• Level 5
On 4/7/2016 at 10:05 AM, Duhtch said:

Windows client does not have this yet, however you may want to try experimental Partial Sync feature: if enabled, only the notes you are viewing are down synced from the service. The downside is that since other notes' content is not present locally you cannot rely on search to find them. Notebooks/tags/shortcuts and scrolling is what you rely on to find notes in this mode. I'm using it on a few devices with limited SSD space and it's still useful.

To enable this mode, you need to set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/EnablePartialSync to 2.

• Level 5
On 4/8/2016 at 6:16 PM, FactMan said:

I have been getting multiple crashes with this version since it became available. I have sent several reports in, but here is the call stack from the latest one:

Exception Info:
Evernote.exe v.6.0.2.1349 (0xe06d7363) C++_EXCEPTION at 0x76bcdad8

Appears to be exactly the same issue as @gazumped reported. Please post Developer Info lines as suggested above to make sure its already fixed.

• Level 5

@FactMan

After having lots of crashes over the last week, I turned off the note panel and did some of the things that were associated with crashes. Since turning of the notes, I have not had a single crash, in several hours of doing some housekeeping on the 15000+ notes that I have. I have some more things to test out, but things are going much faster, and with less cursing, than before.

When the next beta is out, please consider turning the note panel back. If it still crashes, please go to Tools/Options/Context and uncheck [X] "Show context" to see if this helps stability and performance.

On 4/9/2016 at 10:26 AM, FactMan said:

The searching for words in text is still incredibly slow

Are you talking about Search In Note (Ctrl+F) or Search Notes (F6) ?

• Level 5*

Bug, I think.

In List on the side view, no left panel, search explanation visible, all notes.  I hit the plus sign to enter a tag and the search results are accurate but there is a tag not involved in the search displayed in the search explanation.  In simple terms I search for tag1, the search results are accurate for tag1, but the search explanation displays tag1 and tag2.  I can x delete tag2 and the search stays the same.

Also, posted before, but is there an alternative to Shirt-Alt-T for multiple tag searches?  Is this the bug referenced in the original post?  It is a major PITA to have to continue to click the + sign to do a multi-tag search.  :(

Otherwise, getting used to the look and feel and like the speed improvements.  Good stuff!  :)

• Level 5
40 minutes ago, csihilling said:

In List on the side view, no left panel, search explanation visible, all notes.  I hit the plus sign to enter a tag and the search results are accurate but there is a tag not involved in the search displayed in the search explanation.  In simple terms I search for tag1, the search results are accurate for tag1, but the search explanation displays tag1 and tag2.  I can x delete tag2 and the search stays the same.

We have seen this reported before, however could not reproduce here. It would be great if you could provide steps to repro this problem reliably.

Also, posted before, but is there an alternative to Shirt-Alt-T for multiple tag searches?  Is this the bug referenced in the original post?  It is a major PITA to have to continue to click the + sign to do a multi-tag search.  :(

Shift+Alt+T is back in the upcoming beta. We've also added Shift+Alt+N which does the same thing but for notebooks.

Otherwise, getting used to the look and feel and like the speed improvements.  Good stuff!  :)

Thank you! Upcoming beta has more speed improvements, so please stay tuned.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

@FactMan

Are you talking about Search In Note (Ctrl+F) or Search Notes (F6) ?

F6 - and I have tried reindexing the database (15,510 notes as of right now, with most of them stored in local notebooks because I can only use them when I am at home)

• Level 5
30 minutes ago, FactMan said:

F6 - and I have tried reindexing the database (15,510 notes as of right now, with most of them stored in local notebooks because I can only use them when I am at home)

Did you re-index by using Ctrl+Help/"Recreate Full Text Search Index" without holding down Shift key? If so, try holding down Shift key when clicking on "Recreate Full Text Search Index" -- this will rebuild full text search index from scratch (as opposed to re-indexing in-place). This resulted in substantial search performance improvements for many users.

The next beta will do this for you automatically when it is installed.

• Level 5*

For some reason I couldn't get the quote to work, so I will respond normally. I didn't know about the shift key, so I am trying that now. It will be tomorrow before it finishes, I suspect, given the number of notes I have.

Edit: Have not been doing many text searches, but it does seem to have improved the search speed. I guess it's because of the size of my database. BTW, it would be useful to have some indication of the progress with re-indexing, without having to go to the activity log.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Shift+Alt+T is back in the upcoming beta.

:):):)  That would be enough for me to try the Beta on my main PC.

3 hours ago, kvitekp said:

We have seen this reported before, however could not reproduce here. It would be great if you could provide steps to repro this problem reliably

Every time I go to all notes, hit the + sign for tag search and type sta<Enter> (Statement is the only tag after sta) I get the right notes but with an added tag in the search explanation.  Also it becomes an ANY search.  If I add a tag at this point, the search becomes an ALL search for the three tags and I get no results.  If I click on the x for the unwanted tag , sometimes it takes TWICE, it is removed from the search and the results are now accurate for the two tags I entered, and it is back to an AND search.  I can add a third tag at this point and get the right results. 

NOTE:  I tested this a few times and it worked per the above the first two times.  After that EN just crashed.  I sent three crash reports.  Then it started working per the above again.  Also as an FYI, the unwanted tag that gets added to the search is a tag that is only used on notes in my local notebooks.  My test system does not have any of those notes, only my synced notes.  I added a dummy note and added the unwanted tag, but that made no difference.

If I enter the second tag first everything is fine.  But when I enter Statement as the second tag, the unwanted tag appears again and the search changes to ANY.  I can x the unwanted tag but the search is still ANY and I have to select ALL.  I have tried different tag combinations, but the issue only seems to happen only when I enter the tag StatementSo, something to do with my Statement tag and the switching from AND to ANY are issues.  Hope this is somewhat clear.  It is repeatable for me. 

PM me if you need something.

• Level 5*
On 10/04/2016 at 6:47 PM, kvitekp said:

@gazumped Thank you for the stack trace! I believe this crash is fixed, however, to make sure we'll need a few lines from below the stack trace: the section titled "Developer Info" which looks like this:

Developer Info:
 0 Database exception: CantGetStatement "SELECT data, csn FROM attrs WHERE uid = ? AND aid = ? AND afl = ?", error: no such table: attrs in Prepare
 10 C:\Evernote.X\Logs\AppLog_2016-01-05.txt

Currently running two databases - one premium,  one basic.  
Working in the basic database, thought I should switch back to the prem account to check the previous crash file
The basic account window closed,  but the prem account did not start.
Attempted to start Evernote again from the desktop icon - got the Fatal Error window again.
EN will probably restart fine after I send this note. I hope.  Error report sent.

...and here we go.  Still on the free account.  Switch works this time.  It's a little nervous-making that it's a blank white screen - no notes visible...while there's a sync going on.  Evernote not responding.  That lasts for 20 seconds or so and then we are back.

Here's the old trace:

Developer Info:
 0 Database exception: CantGetStatement "SELECT data, csn FROM attrs WHERE uid = ? AND aid = ? AND afl = ?", error: interrupted in Prepare
 3 C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\g4zump3d.exb (14.6 GB Fixed 312 GB free)
 10 C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs\AppLog_2016-04-05.txt

###################

And here's the same again for today's crash file -

Exception Info:
Evernote.exe v.6.0.2.1349 (0xe06d7363) C++_EXCEPTION at 0x761b4598

Call stack:
0x761b4598 KERNELBASE.dll!0x761b4598 RaiseException+0x48(0xe06d7363,0x1,0x3,0x184974)
0x00b9109c Evernote.exe!0x00b9109c(0x1849a0,0xe30c00,0xd5c8c13c,0xf4faa8)
0x0089bfc6 Evernote.exe!0x0089bfc6(0xb5c56c8,0xd328c0,0xb600080,0xd5c8c160)
0x0089d1de Evernote.exe!0x0089d1de(0x184a24,0xfffffffe,0x9,0xa0)
0x00844399 Evernote.exe!0x00844399(0xfffffffe,0x9,0xa0,0x9)
0x00847a37 Evernote.exe!0x00847a37(0xfffffffe,0x9,0x9,0xfffffffe)
0x005896cd Evernote.exe!0x005896cd(0,0,0,0)
0x00000000

Developer Info:
 3 C:\Users\ <user name>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\stuart1127.exb (58.8 MB Fixed 274 GB free)
 10 C:\Users\ <user name>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs\AppLog_2016-04-11.txt

###################

Guess that may be something completely different.  Anyway - looking forward to the next update;  this version really flies (most of the time),  and doesn't seem fazed by my 21K (or so) of notes...

B)

Code Snippet Copy/Paste Bugs

1) When copying text within a code snippet and then pasting it, the pasted text jumps to the line above and pastes there instead of pasting where the cursor is located.
2) Pastes don't maintain the original formatting. I don't know if that's a bug or intentional but I feel that it should maintain the original formatting or at least give a pop-up option (like in MS Word) to maintain the original formatting or paste as a non-formatted snippet.

See the attached gif for examples.

• First I copy the word "world" and attempt to copy it to the right of the word "universe" but it pastes above.
  • Second, I copy the colored line and paste it below where they paste without the original format.

Evernote Code Snippet Paste Bug.gif

I paste "Note Links" into Windows Office files. While using Evernote Windows client on my PC, when I click a link in Excel it opens the note in Evernote web (if I'm not logged into Evernote in Chrome, it still tries to open it there). I want it to open it in Evernote Windows client. It used to work like that... has something changed?

• Level 5
6 hours ago, Duhtch said:

I paste "Note Links" into Windows Office files. While using Evernote Windows client on my PC, when I click a link in Excel it opens the note in Evernote web (if I'm not logged into Evernote in Chrome, it still tries to open it there). I want it to open it in Evernote Windows client. It used to work like that... has something changed?

Hold down Ctrl key when clicking Copy Note link to get the old behavior.

15 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Hold down Ctrl key when clicking Copy Note link to get the old behavior.

Thanks for the guidance. From my PC's Excel app, it takes me to the Evernote Windows client: but when I open the Excel Online and click on the link, I get this message "Sorry, we couldn't open this link. The link address may be invalid, or you may not have permission to open it." What do you suggest?

Sometimes when I single click on a "shortcut" to select it, the "shortcut" disappears: it's happened to various "shortcuts". Not a huge problem: I just go down into my "tags" and create a new "shortcut". Has anybody else experienced this?

• Level 5
On 4/16/2016 at 10:42 AM, Duhtch said:

Thanks for the guidance. From my PC's Excel app, it takes me to the Evernote Windows client: but when I open the Excel Online and click on the link, I get this message "Sorry, we couldn't open this link. The link address may be invalid, or you may not have permission to open it." What do you suggest?

Regular Copy Note Link creates an https:// link that could be used from web apps, Ctrl+Copy Note Link create an evernote:// link that can only be used locally. You have to choose one or the other depending on how you intent to use it.

56 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Regular Copy Note Link creates an https:// link that could be used from web apps, Ctrl+Copy Note Link create an evernote:// link that can only be used locally. You have to choose one or the other depending on how you intent to use it.

Thanks Peter. For a long time (in previous versions): I would copy Regular Copy Note Links into Office docs. Even when I would click on the link in Office Online, it would first open an Evernote tab in Chrome then jump automatically to my PC's Evernote client and select the note I wanted. Sometimes when the Evernote tab in Chrome would open, I would get a message something like 'do you want to open the note online or using your Windows client?' Is that no longer going to be the case with this new version of Evernote?

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Duhtch said:

Thanks Peter. For a long time (in previous versions): I would copy Regular Copy Note Links into Office docs. Even when I would click on the link in Office Online, it would first open an Evernote tab in Chrome then jump automatically to my PC's Evernote client and select the note I wanted. Sometimes when the Evernote tab in Chrome would open, I would get a message something like 'do you want to open the note online or using your Windows client?' Is that no longer going to be the case with this new version of Evernote?

Just tested it here and your scenario works exactly as expected: pasted a regular note link into a Word doc and clicked on it, Chrome window briefly appeared then the note was opened in the native client. I'm not sure why it is not working for you, please contact customer support to see if they can help.

4 horas atrás, arthurrschaefer disse:

I noticed that when I search for notes using more than 3 words (not tags), selecting all notebooks, Evernote starts to show Not responding and freezes the app.

Is it a known issue? thanks for attention.

update: 

• SO - Windows 10 - 64 bits
  • Evernote Beta Version (attached)

2016-04-22 10_58_09-Evernote.png

it seems that every word I type, the evernote makes a search but at the same time he freezes the screen. it becomes a boring situation.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5
On 4/4/2016 at 3:26 PM, jefito said:

Just reporting a bug that's extant from v5.x, since maybe several months ago. It's very simple to reproduce (and very annoying): create a text line that has a todo checkbox at its start. Now select, copy and paste the line elsewhere. Notice that the pasted todo checkbox now has a box around it.

We've repro'ed this. Will try to get this in for the final release of 6.1, thanks for mentioning it!

Hi,

How do you get a view with :

* Note List in Detailed view (no previews), and

* Note Panel on right hand side (not underneath).

This used to be easy with Ctrl-Shift-F5. Now it seems you can have one of the above but not both.

Now I cannot find any way using Ctrl-F5, Ctrl-F6, Ctrl-F7 and all the other FN keys with Ctrl or Shift.

• Level 5*

Ctrl-F11 for no note view and Ctrl-F8 for side list view.  F10 to hide the left panel.  See the View menu and the drop down to the left of the search bar for other options, some of which changed with V6.

ScreenClip.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 16/06/2016 at 9:47 AM, jcelle said:

even the "new note" button is hard to spot despite the only effort of making it non white !

this interface is just a joke.

Which new note button are we talking about?  The toolbar? (This is mine...)

Toolbar.png

• Level 5*
On 6/18/2016 at 2:29 PM, csihilling said:

since new note is the only colored icon

Interesting ... I was not seeing this so investigated a little.  There is both a new note icon (text only note) and a new note with down arrow icon which allows you to select the type of new note you want.  I've always just had the one with the down arrow which doesn't have color.  Never noticed the "other" new note icon before.  I have no need to select the type of note so switched to the color icon instead.  Thanks for mentioning this.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Interesting ... I was not seeing this so investigated a little.  There is both a new note icon (text only note) and a new note with down arrow icon which allows you to select the type of new note you want.  I've always just had the one with the down arrow which doesn't have color.  Never noticed the "other" new note icon before.  I have no need to select the type of note so switched to the color icon instead.  Thanks for mentioning this.

You are welcome.

• Level 5*
On 6/18/2016 at 8:08 PM, gazumped said:

OK - forgot that I have 'labels' switched on;  right click the toolbar to toggle that if required...

Yeah, I go full Star Trek, icons only.  ;)

• 3 months later...

The Search bar is now in a more natural place, at the top of your note list.

Cleaner and brighter overall interface. Larger native note scrollbars that are easier to drag on touch screens.

Thin navigation bar: turn off the left panel to give more space for your content and still keep key navigation items.

Toggle the formatting bar on/off for a cleaner experience when only viewing notes.

All steps in the right direction, great to see these! Simplifying but not making the functionality any simpler is exactly what you should be doing! 

My recommendation is further streamlining of the top area, making the app feel very true to itself, not just another windows style app. At current there are 3 rows before the actual information that I want to see, it's unnecessary, screens are optimised for wide application not tall stacked ones (remember the toolbar hell of office 2003, internet exploder). This could all be hidden and optimised, accessing the menu via the Evernote Icon, with most frequent buttons along side. (At best an option to hide the File menu bar)

Evernote Interface.png

Lastly, I know windows 10 has adaptive layout support, but I imagine only certain codebases and ideal for new applications etc. But is this something your teams have looked into for a release farther out? A great way to see this in action, and feel for writing things etc like Evernote, would be with the windows 10 mail app, how it adapts its 3 panes and editing areas. 

Please let me know what you think, I would look to see something like the image above. Or at least an option to hide the windows menu (that thing is ugly and easily accessible with Alt)

Thank you.

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, MySecretUser said:

@gazumped

Thank you. I just went for the top google result, didn't look deeper. Have upgraded to the 6.3.2 now :-) 

If you want to follow the betas, the easiest way is to go Tools / Options / General: Enable beta features and updates and Automatically check for updates

Archived