What do you want to hear...

• Ex Employees

This Thursday, we are opening the Evernote HQ doors for a discussion on Evernote for Small Business. We'll be hearing from expert Evernote users and the Evernote product team as they share tips and tricks on how you can put Evernote to work for you.

... but, we also want you to help guide the conversation! What kinds of topics/questions would you like to know more about? Help the product team answer the real questions that you have. Even if you aren't able to make it to the event, you'll be able to hear your questions answered in the recording that we'll be posting shortly after the event. 

Topic ideas stumping you? I'm going to ask the product team to share their process on making an idea becomes a reality for features and new releases. 

• Level 5*

Hi. I'm a longtime Evernote user (shard 1) who would really like to use the service more, but two features missing from it make it difficult to do.

1. When will Evernote have notebook-level zero-knowledge encryption? It's competitors have encryption at the note, notebook, or account level already (OneNote, Apple Notes, DEVONthink, VoodooPad, etc). I have already heard that it is not a priority, but I don't know why, especially when your competitors have prioritized it.

2. When will Evernote have selective sync for the desktop (the ability to choose which notebooks to sync on our devices) ? We have it for mobile, so it obviously *can* be done, but for some reason, it is not a priority. I don't know why. Many of your competitors have the ability to (in one way or another) decide what gets synced and what doesn't (OneNote, DEVONthink, and VoodooPad do this by having different databases).

Thank you!

What's happening with the Evernote Platform awards?

I don't see much in the way of new and novel 3rd-party Evernote apps these days. What I do see is those already existing apps branching out to not be wholly dependent on Evernote. I think, perhaps, 3rd-party application developers are being sorely neglected and may have very little incentive to keep at it. 

I've always believed that a huge part of Evernote's success was due to the interconnectivity with other services: Gneo, Swipes, Sunrise Calendar, Postach.io, etc., etc., etc.... It would be a pity to see all that former hard work on Evernote's part go down the drain. These amazing apps pick up Evernote's slack and lock people into an Evernote ecosystem. Then there is/ was the full-on (free) promotion for Evernote by these "little guys". 

I don't believe OneNote and other apps are there... but there seems to be a reversal of this trend... and it's painful to watch. Evernote is going to have the life sucked out of it without the enthusiastic support of 3rd-party app developers in general. Bring back the Evernote Platform Awards. It created a lot of buzz and gave more of a sense of community.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

1. When will Evernote have notebook-level zero-knowledge encryption?

2. When will Evernote have selective sync for the desktop (the ability to choose which notebooks to sync on our devices) ? 

I just want to voice my agreement with @GrumpyMonkey in requesting that Evernote discuss these two very important features.

If you believe you have valid reasons for NOT providing these features, please share your reasons with us.

I want to heare about Password Protected Notebooks or at least about PIN code for desktop app! 

I have small business and I manage my clients in Evernote, i'm using it as CRM and for other work-related stuff. But I also using Evernote for my personal stuff including health, finance. And inability to password protect notebooks makes me nervous.  

• Level 5*

All the above plus some simple (apologies, my view of the world) things:

• Reminder date and reminder flag as columns in list view
  • A holding notebook for emails.with notebook or tag errors
  • Create/update date modification on IOS
  • Tag search staying in place when changing notebook context

On March 22, 2016 at 0:46 PM, Metrodon said:

How do you prioritise product features?

How do you reflect customer requests/feedback in that prioritisation?

How far ahead do you plan development?

Yes yes & yes! 

How is Evernote going to make a comeback?

what does the new leadership team mean for Evernotw? Specific focus?

How does Evernote plan to compete with competition? (One note particularly, they seem to have it out for EB)

• Ex Employees

Thanks for all the responses guys! Y'all comments and questions have definitely helped create the outline for what we'll share in our discussion tonight. I did notice that some questions leaned closer to the side of requested product features  - Tonight's event focus is on how small business can start implementing Evernote to improve (or work along side) their existing work processes. The speakers will mainly be on sharing tips & tricks and a discussion our product creation process.  @Metrodon provided some excellent examples of the kinds of questions/answers you might expect.

It should happen pretty quickly after, but I'll let you all know as soon as the event video is available for viewing.

• Level 5*

That makes sense. Still, when it comes to using Evernote in a business (or, in my case, in an educational institution with faculty and students), encryption (or the lack thereof) dramatically impacts how it can be used. The same, to a lesser extent, can be said for selective sync. The sooner the developers address these two points, the sooner I (and probably others) can fully incorporate Evernote into our workflow. Hopefully, there will be a discussion at some point that deals with issues like these.

@charboyd, I've seen this happen time and again here in the forums. Evernote looks for ideas and questions related to business (wether S, M or L) and users (who themselves have small businesses) focus on features. 

I thought Evernote was beginning to get over that hump with pushing Evernote for business and "your life's work".

At the expense of being tactless: I'd say that Evernote users are less interested in Evernote drumming up use cases and telling them how they could or should use Evernote... And would rather focus on the features that would allow them to do what they envision. People have long since figured out how to use Evernote for their small businesses with very little coaxing along the way. They just need Evernote to be robust, reliable and pliable. Features have much to do with that. Then people will continue to use Evernote for just about everything - including using Evenote for the daily behind-the-scenes running of their businesses.

Tips and tricks come naturally when people have the tools they need. 

How can a lack of excitement and input in the direction hoped for in this thread not be telling? All of the clues to Evernote's dip in popularity have been right here in the forums all along. Evernote pushes business, Work Chat, etc. to a disproportionate degree and it seems just now that getting it right the 2nd or 3rd time 'round may still be a heck of a challenge for Evernote yet. 

Evernote for small business, as GM hinted at, has a lot to do with encryption and the like. 3rd-party apps (and the Evernote Platform Awards) have everything to do with what small business owners can wangle out of Evernote. In many cases, these app developers themselves embody the small business owner model themselves. They're not massive startup ventures like Evernote. Take Gneo for instance... Do yourselves a favor and follow their blog. They and many other 3rd-party apps do a fantastic job at promoting Evernote for small business (for free). Swipes does a bang-up job too. Take advantage of that and focus on these little guys again. 

I totally understand the immediate focus and purpose of this thread (the event for which has come and gone)... But I hope the "hijacking" of this thread in favor of features serves toward the bigger picture for Evernote.

• Level 5*

To add to what Frank said, there are a few simple features (simple in concept, at least) that could have a significant impact on business users (I would sign up right away if no. 2 and no. 3 were covered -- no. 3 is actually possible if libraries become searchable). These ideas have been bandied about over the years. They are nothing new or especially revolutionary. But, they never seem to get prioritized.

1. Limited access for third-party developers. Instead of giving them all or nothing (any note can be read, right?), be able to choose which notebooks they can and cannot see. If you have any sensitive data whatsoever in your account, any third-party developer becomes a risk, and there are documented cases here on the forums of nasty stuff happening with these. This limited access would be good for users, developers, and Evernote. I don't know why it hasn't happened yet. 

2. Encryption.

3. Selective sync. 

My guess would be that a lot of businesses would really enjoy talking about use cases and implementations, but until Evernote steps up in areas like these above (I am sure there are more -- more administrative control over naming conventions comes to mind), I suspect you won't get a whole lot of traction out there. Just my two cents. Sorry about hijacking the thread. I do appreciate that EN is reaching out. It would be nice to have a chat session with developers to get a better idea of why some of these features are not being prioritized. 

• Evernote Expert
On 25/03/2016 at 2:51 PM, Frank.dg said:

At the expense of being tactless: I'd say that Evernote users are less interested in Evernote drumming up use cases and telling them how they could or should use Evernote.

People have long since figured out how to use Evernote for their small businesses with very little coaxing along the way. They just need Evernote to be robust, reliable and pliable. Features have much to do with that. Then people will continue to use Evernote for just about everything - including using Evenote for the daily behind-the-scenes running of their businesses.

Tips and tricks come naturally when people have the tools they need. 

How can a lack of excitement and input in the direction hoped for in this thread not be telling? All of the clues to Evernote's dip in popularity have been right here in the forums all along. Evernote pushes business, Work Chat, etc. to a disproportionate degree and it seems just now that getting it right the 2nd or 3rd time 'round may still be a heck of a challenge for Evernote yet. 

Evernote's continued focus towards pushing users for Business ( What about millions of single users like me?) at the cost of their free, Premium and Plus users is digging their graves. I have had enough of it. Yes, as the OP said, give us the features like ( Coloured Tags, Code Blocks, Encryption etc), we will figure out individually, how we want to use our productions. Stop shoving that Work Chat or Evernote Business Ad when I have absolutely no need for it, and I am paying already. ( I couldnt believe when the new V6 beta after integration and recognizing am premium shoves an Ad telling me to go EN business.. and i felt like bangig my head against a wall. The forum must have had a million rants on this topic already, and still EN wont learn. :angry:

• 1 month later...

I would like to hear what calendar app (mac, iPad & iPhone) I should switch to now that Sunrise is going away.  I've searched long and hard and can't find anything that meets all of my needs.  I'd like to settle on something that is integrated with EN.  What are your plans?

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, BethK said:

I would like to hear what calendar app (mac, iPad & iPhone) I should switch to now that Sunrise is going away.  I've searched long and hard and can't find anything that meets all of my needs.  I'd like to settle on something that is integrated with EN.  What are your plans?

Personally, I'm happy with the native Apple Calendar.  It integrates my Mac, iPad an iPhone.

For integration with Evernote, I use Cronofy Calendar Connector and reminders get sync'd to my calendar

I also use the integration with Google Maps on my iPad.  It inserts travel times and details into my calendar.

>> I've searched long and hard and can't find anything that meets all of my needs.  

What are your needs - Reminders?

Archived