New Evernote for Windows 5.9.8/5.9.9 GA

This is a long-due public GA release of the last beta, with many bug fixes and improvements over the last GA. Most of the changes are under-the-hood to make the application run more reliably and lay the foundations for what’s to come.

If you were already on the v5.9.7 beta, the update is minor. If you are looking to try out a bigger update, head over to the v6.0 beta!

We hope you enjoy the update and look forward to your feedback.

You can download the new v5 GA here.

-----

** If you are updating from v5.9.6 or older, please note that the application will need to reindex your database to enable these improvements. This is a one-time process that happens in the background and only when the application is idle. We do not expect it to noticeably impact your usage. **

Improvements:

• Improvements to Search Quality
    • Search now returns more consistent search results, across Evernote applications
    • Better handling of CJK languages, especially punctuation and full-width / half-width characters.
    • Added ability to search properties (intitle, author, etc.) in case insensitive manner
    • Removed common English words from search index
    • Search reindexing now happens in the background and pauses when the app is actively used.
  • Fixed multiple sync and performance issues
  • Multi-selection in Outlook Clipper is back
  • Notebook selector displays much faster to quickly jump between notebooks

Fixed:

• Crash when viewing specific PDFs
  • Bug that caused a sync error icon to show unexpectedly
  • Bug when moving a pasted image within a note
  • And many more bugs

EDIT - Fixed in 5.9.9 Hotfix:

• Occasional crash during reindexing
  • Saved search behavior
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Stephane Lo said:

Removed common English words from search index

What exactly does the above mean?  In phrases as well?

Good to see the release, thanks.

@csihilling: a more precise description is that common words (stop words) are ignored in unquoted search queries. For example, searching for fish and chips will ignore the word and (equivalent to searching for fish chips). Quoted (phrase) search queries remain intact.  

Well I hoped that within all the bug fixes that you would have fixed the annoying problem of the note jumping about as reported here 

Alas it is still doing it with this update. How are you seriously supposed to work on a long note when the damn thing keeps jumping back to the top? I cannot see any set pattern as to why this happens but it is really annoying.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, maxikk said:

@csihilling: a more precise description is that common words (stop words) are ignored in unquoted search queries. For example, searching for fish and chips will ignore the word and (equivalent to searching for fish chips). Quoted (phrase) search queries remain intact.  

Thanks for the explanation.  The phrase "Removed .... from search index" caught my eye.  Good to know it is just search syntax.

This is a revised version of my post from Evernote beta version 5.9.7 forum. I discovered an interesting behavior of the search box in the 5.9.7 beta version of Evernote. The saved searches do not display any results when initiated from the search box if I have "Search Current Context" option selected. I have to select "Search All Notes" in order to get it to display its results. Is it a new behavior or a bug?. Before the beta, I had the "Search Current Context" on all the time which let me limit my search to the specific notebook and not have it crowded by the notes I do not want to appear in search results. Now, if I want to limit my search to a particular notebook I have to select "Search Current Context" and then remember to switch back to "Search all Notes" in order to make saved search work. It can get tiresome pretty quickly. I hope I was clear enough in describing the problem I have. The shortcut bar is not affected by this behavior but I do not want to crowd it with my saved searches. I am using Evernote  5.9.8.9906 on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Here is a link to screen capture file that illustrates a problem described above:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9bQEgnH_hGIMFB3VGZseDdoREE/view?usp=sharing

I second keisoko:

Changed behavior when selecting a saved search.
Pressing F6 and then selecting a saved search in the dropdown gives no results.

Default is now "Search current content" and while that can be good in some instances, here it does not work,

1. Even when in the correct notebook, there is no search results.

2. When pressing F6 and then entering the search string manually, it returns results from all notebooks.

This behaviour makes evernote hard to navigate, and searches very difficult.

Hi Evernote Team, 

I'm getting this sync error from yesterday and Evernote is not syncing any of my notes. Screen shot attached. I have already upgraded to Windows v5.9.8.9906. Pls help me to fix this error. Thanks.

- Bill.

EN.JPG

With the 5.9.9 version can not seem to color the selected text only. Unfortunately change the color of the whole phrase or part of it. Not the case with the previous version. Also sometimes the same thing happens with formatting bold italic. Solutions? It just happens to me?

Right click a note > Delete is gone! Was that removed in this release? I used that all the time. Requiring a keystroke, or Edit > Delete, is way too much "safety" to avoid unintended Deletes. Besides, a note can easily be restored.

Please add Delete back to the right-click menu!

1 hour ago, Bill Clarke said:

Right click a note > Delete is gone! Was that removed in this release? I used that all the time. Requiring a keystroke, or Edit > Delete, is way too much "safety" to avoid unintended Deletes. Besides, a note can easily be restored.

They replaced word "Delete" with "Move Note to Trash". I do not know why. Maybe it has something to do with wanting to make it clear that note goes to trash upon delete. Strange.

Evernote Option.png

9 hours ago, Bill Clarke said:

Yup - "Move to Trash" seems to be a silly "rebrand" for good old and well understood "Delete"... which still exists when you're in a note and go to "Edit" menu 

#brilliant

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Sean1e100 said:

Yup - "Move to Trash" seems to be a silly "rebrand" for good old and well understood "Delete"... which still exists when you're in a note and go to "Edit" menu 

#brilliant

And now in trash it is Expunge Note (by note) or Empty Trash (for all notes)   :)

I discovered something that might explain their "Move Note to Trash" option in a right-click menu. When I install Evernote for the first time, I always use customize function in a note toolbar to add "Delete" button to it. A couple of days ago, I wanted to delete a note I no longer need it.  Instead of just left-clicking on the button, I accidentally used double-left-click and got a warning box  telling me that a note will be deleted permanently. Since I did not need that particular note anymore it was not a problem, but maybe they wanted to avoid exactly this situation from happening. Even though you will get a warning  box, maybe they wanted to prevent people from pressing "Delete Note" on the box without having to read what written on it. Just my two cents.

Evernote Warning.png

Well, I'am scared to death :wacko:

After updating to 5.9.9 my image hyperlinks doesn't work any more.

Tried even the beta 6.0.2 with the same result

What's even more scary, nobody is complainig.. or at least I can't find any trace of it

All my "Icon-navigation-bars" for quick switching between frequently used Notes are now useless

I have experienced a regression with this version:

Apparently this was fixied in 5.9.1:

But after updating EN on my W10 I now do have the problem described above. The EN icon vanished from the taskbar because of the update (makes sense, it's a new exe). Repinning either from the Startup menu or from the EN desktop icon produces the behaviour above. Clicking on the newly pinned icon in the Taskbar (or starting it from the desktop icon or from Startup) gives me a second EN icon in the taskbar.

This build of Evernote has reintroduced a bug for me. Specifically, whenever I open Evernote both of my screens go black as if the "Turn Displays Off" (i.e., go to sleep) command has been given. If I wait several seconds I can restore the screens by moving the mouse (as would be the case with the monitors going into sleep mode). I noticed this several months ago with an earlier build but didn't report anything. It was rectified shortly thereafter but this has reemerged with this particular build.

The download link from the main evernote.com website > down the bottom > Downloads, gives a Certificate error.

"The owner of cdn1.evernote.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to the website. cdn1.evernote.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: secure.parceiroambev.com.br, ... " and a stack of very unlikely sounding domains such as choppbrahmaexpress.com.br.

Tried to include a screenshot of the error, but the "choose files" link gives "There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -220". And the "Drag files here to attach" does nothing for me.

Thanks for the direct link to download Evernote, in the forum posts above. This worked.

Edit: Larry, re the Export ... this seems to be working for me. Select a list of notes, then File > Export, then tick Export as a web archive (.mht) and choose Note Title and Updated date. I seem to recall that right-click and Export Notes did not work so well in the past. Try it from File > Export. 

• Level 5
On 4/7/2016 at 2:15 PM, Halicz said:

Well, I'am scared to death :wacko:

After updating to 5.9.9 my image hyperlinks doesn't work any more.

Tried even the beta 6.0.2 with the same result

What's even more scary, nobody is complainig.. or at least I can't find any trace of it

All my "Icon-navigation-bars" for quick switching between frequently used Notes are now useless

Please provide more details so we can reproduce the issue.

On 12.4.2016 at 4:46 PM, kvitekp said:

Please provide more details so we can reproduce the issue.

We can attach (shift+K) a hyperlink to any picture object pasted in a Note and edit it with ctr+shift+K.

The problem is (after last update) right-clicking on the picture (with hyperlink) doesn't call that hyperlink anymore, just the blue frame is highlighted. 

"mouse-over" activate the 3 icons (anotate, view and rotate) and thats it... no picture-hyperlinking :-/

Archived