• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
Rob25

2016 Latest Evernote GTD methods?

67 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2017 at 5:44 AM, Karlot said:

However, as well as being rather complex, it felt very unnatural to be saving emails into evernote rather than staying in the place I was already using - i.e. Office 365.

I feel just the opposite. Using Office 365/Outlook for reference storage or task management felt very unnatural. In my mind, Outlook is the equivalent of an inbox/outbox trays that were common on office desks before technology was so wide spread; Evernote is the equivalent of a manilla folder in my filing cabinet.

Plus, I find that Outlook's search functionality is the worst thing in the Office suite and effective searching is pretty critical for me.

@chirmer How do you handle a list of projects? Separate note for each list and then put those notes into a "Projects" notebook or something else?

27 minutes ago, Jammer said:

How do you handle a list of projects? Separate note for each list and then put those notes into a "Projects" notebook or something else?

I have a sepate note for each project; my project master note
These notes are flagged with    tag:Type_Project

To retrieve a project list, I use a sortcut to a search     tag:Type_Project -tag:Archive

In addition to creating the project master note, I also create a project tag   Project-aaaaaaaa
This allows me to retrieve all the project notes when doing a project review

1 person likes this

On 6/17/2017 at 11:52 AM, DTLow said:

I have a sepate note for each project; my project master note
These notes are flagged with    tag:Type_Project

To retrieve a project list, I use a sortcut to a search     tag:Type_Project -tag:Archive

In addition to creating the project master note, I also create a project tag   Project-aaaaaaaa
This allows me to retrieve all the project notes when doing a project review

@DTLow Do you have an outline of how you manage your overall system from top to bottom with screenshots? I want to maintain more of a tag-based system but projects and tags have been a real sticking point, even after reviewing multiple forum posts/ David Allen's PDF. I'm very good at identifying all my "next steps" but my system for tracking them sucks. I tried following what he says and more than one task becomes a project but it gets messy really fast so i'm considering moving to where a project has its own tag for all items and a master list for all action items. Ideally I would decide which action items from that project list actually need to get a when-tag but also struggling with how to keep track of if an action item has been prioritized etc.

Ex) Boston Trip-Plan is a project.

1. Research groupon options
  2. Look up average prices of friend recommended restaurants to see if it is in budget
  3. Buy tickets for the harbor tour

How would I keep track of whether 1, 2, or 3 had actually moved from the list of tasks on the master project note onto prioritized? 

I wound up with tons of action items from different projects randomly listed under !4ThisMonth tag....

If you are willing to post screenshots that would be awesome. On another note, could you tell me how to do either of the two following things:

1) Follow a specific thread on this forum and easily navigate back to it

2) Search a thread for all of a user's posts? (Might help me consolidate all your posts on your system and how you GTD)

9 hours ago, DealHaggler18 said:

Do you have an outline of how you manage your overall system from top to bottom with screenshots?

In progress at https://www.evernote.com/l/AApgI93yv79KYZ8y3WbfKJaJhUJ1Pu26VHE

Just starting, but I'll have the initial version done by end of day

I'm outlining

1. Infrastructure
    1. Notebooks
    2. Tags
    3. Reminders  
    4. Note Titles
    5. Shortcuts  
    6. Scripts (Mac Applescript)

2. Process
    1. New Project
    2. New Task
    3. Completed Task
    4. Daily Review
    5. Project Review
    6. Process Inbox
2 people like this

9 hours ago, DealHaggler18 said:

1) Follow a specific thread on this forum and easily navigate back to it

There are options in user settings but I don't use them594a7da10ae04_ScreenShot2017-06-21at07_07_00.png.6fd23f96078cebf022330a457a7c09cc.png

I just read all the posts using the Unread Content link

>>2) Search a thread for all of a user's posts?

I click on the profile picture and get a list of recent posts

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

In progress at https://www.evernote.com/l/AApgI93yv79KYZ8y3WbfKJaJhUJ1Pu26VHE

Just starting, but I'll have the initial version done by end of day

I'm outlining

1. Infrastructure
    1. Notebooks
    2. Tags
    3. Reminders  
    4. Note Titles
    5. Shortcuts  
    6. Scripts (Mac Applescript)

2. Process
    1. New Project
    2. New Task
    3. Completed Task
    4. Daily Review
    5. Project Review
    6. Process Inbox

@DTLow, Thanks that would be perfect and is much appreciated!

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

There are options in user settings but I don't use them

I just read all the posts using the Unread Content link

>>2) Search a thread for all of a user's posts?

I click on the profile picture and get a list of recent posts

Appreciate the response.

1)Was hoping evernote organized it by thread. Seems weird to me that I have my messages for individual chats available at link at top, but then my content/streams mixes that with responses to my posts etc under my activity streams.

2) Reason I was asking #2 was so that I could look within the thread at all of your responses or other people because you get bits and pieces of what works for one person then some more posts from someone else. Also, clicking follow you would show every post you make and you are a busy guy on the forum :) But in the end I was only asking to see if I could understand your entire process from top to bottom which you are creating now (thanks again btw)

I made of movie of my process, specifically relate to project tagging. Bear with me on the movie, I summarized as best as I could. 

Feel free to poke holes. I'm not saying this a sexy solution but it's a start and I'm more than open to someone pointing out the redundancy/uselessness of something I am doing. I am getting much better at identifying action items, it's organizing that data at the right level vertically and horizontally that is the real challenge for me (and DA says essentially its a large struggle for most with no clear answer).

Anyway, if you ARE going to watch it, I recommend watching it at 1.25 speed even though I will probably sound like a chipmunk.

https://youtu.be/JPfkzvUuyR8

I'm attaching these files in case anyone wants to reference my screenshots

Actions Pending.png

Active PROJECTS.png

Boston TRIP toc.png

Current Tasks.png

Inbox.png

6 hours ago, DealHaggler18 said:

I made of movie of my process, specifically relate to project tagging. Bear with me on the movie, I summarized as best as I could. 

re: Table of Contents (ToC)

I'm not a fan of static Table of Contents
For example, clicking on the project tag gave you a complete list of all the tasks in the project.
However, the ToC in your Project note may or may-not be complete.  

You used the Project Note ToC to indicate status information 
I add codes to the task title to indicate status, for example and Ω prefix indicates completed

btw  
- I also use list view.  I prefer top list view; more room for columns without cutting into the note panel
- Since you're using a Mac, you should look at scripting.
   It makes life easier for repetive tasks

2 people like this

On 6/21/2017 at 1:12 PM, DTLow said:

- Since you're using a Mac, you should look at scripting.
   It makes life easier for repetive tasks

1) What does scripting do exactly and how do I do that? Is that the thing at the bottom of this link and does it somehow catch things you may have missed in your process? https://www.evernote.com/shard/s10/sh/6023ddf2-bfbf-4a61-9f32-dd66df289689/8542753eedba5471

2) How do I make these: Ω prefix

As far as the rest of your posts: I've been off the wagon a little while cuz I was dreading trying to work my system/figure it out again. Didn't realize you had attached a hyperlink to your overview and just looked that over. It helped A LOT so thank you. In particular I like that you have a tag for non-projects and I love your template for daily review too. 

3) So I understand you right: Your project master note for each project would be found by searching for tag: Projects and just scanning the title of notes that pop up to find it?

4) Also, that note has a list of all the tasks comprising that project correct?

5) The next action on that project list is what you create a new task note for and you delete or put a checkmark next to that task/step from the Master note? 

6) Lastly, I don't understand why you have these three things and how you use them. I get the scheduled one is probably if it goes on your calendar, but don't understand why you would have a +task or a ++task.

+  Task bbbbbb              Task
++Task bbbbbb              Task (Next Action)
+.  Task bbbbbb             Task (Scheduled)

Thanks again!

52 minutes ago, DealHaggler18 said:

1) What does scripting do exactly and how do I do that?

You mentioned that it gets messy if you don't follow your process, or miss a step
With Evernote, you can write a script (AppleScript)
     tell application "Evernote"
           action 1
           action 2
     end tell

Theres a large list of actions you can specify; from creating notes, titles, tags ... 
Documentation at   
https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/applescript.php

2) How do I make these: Ω prefix596cbfddc25b3_ScreenShot2017-07-17at06_46_17.png.882140dec3ad27a2b23b93a3febea679.png
There are Alt codes you can type, but I can never remember them
I can simply copy the symbol from existing text
I also added this as a text replacement, so I type "omega,," and it gets replaced with the symbol  

3) So I understand you right: Your project master note for each project would be found by searching for tag: Projects and just scanning the title of notes that pop up to find it?

Correct. 

4) Also, that note has a list of all the tasks comprising that project correct?596cc13d263b7_ScreenShot2017-07-17at06_51_49.png.f7807a503dc0e695b3ab1ceba12aeaa7.png

Not necessarily, it's probably out of date

To get the complete list of tasks, I use the filter by tag on the project note 

596cc14096904_ScreenShot2017-07-17at06_52_05.png.c1c4e5f3726374a7b9c621cf17d0e68e.png

6) Lastly, I don't understand why you have these three things and how you use them. (++ task title prefix)

After step 4, Filter by tasks, I get a complete set of notes for the project; I sort by title sequence

I want the note list to be in an ordered sequence; Tasks at the top of the list, Next-Action at the very top
I control this sequence by adding a prefix to the note titles

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, DTLow said:

You mentioned that it gets messy if you don't follow your process, or miss a step
With Evernote, you can write a script (AppleScript)
     tell application "Evernote"
           action 1
           action 2
     end tell

Theres a large list of actions you can specify; from creating notes, titles, tags ... 
Documentation at   
https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/applescript.php

2) How do I make these: Ω prefix596cbfddc25b3_ScreenShot2017-07-17at06_46_17.png.882140dec3ad27a2b23b93a3febea679.png
There are Alt codes you can type, but I can never remember them
I can simply copy the symbol from existing text
I also added this as a text replacement, so I type "omega,," and it gets replaced with the symbol  

Correct. 

4) Also, that note has a list of all the tasks comprising that project correct?596cc13d263b7_ScreenShot2017-07-17at06_51_49.png.f7807a503dc0e695b3ab1ceba12aeaa7.png

Not necessarily, it's probably out of date

To get the complete list of tasks, I use the filter by tag on the project note 

596cc14096904_ScreenShot2017-07-17at06_52_05.png.c1c4e5f3726374a7b9c621cf17d0e68e.png

6) Lastly, I don't understand why you have these three things and how you use them. (++ task title prefix)

After step 4, Filter by tasks, I get a complete set of notes for the project; I sort by title sequence

I want the note list to be in an ordered sequence; Tasks at the top of the list, Next-Action at the very top
I control this sequence by adding a prefix to the note titles

DTLow, Maybe I''m off, but it seems you have a tag to indicate completion for any note (project related task, non project related task, or project TOC) of tag:archive correct? But then you also edit the title with +Ω and mark the reminder as completed to indicate completion? I could see how the reminder thing would give you information on when it was completed but it seems like the 3 methods do nearly the same thing.

I really like that you do the title of next action for the next step you are going to take on a project. Once I understand it a little more I think it will help reinforce DA's mantra of getting everyone to ask "What is the NEXT STEP?".

If I understand you correctly, your title codes are mutually exclusive...how do you handle it when your task for next action is also scheduled? I think based on your responses, that once you draft action steps in a master note you prioritize them all (with a due/reminder date or a when tag, who tag, context tag, etc) and process them through your system. If that is the case, what purpose does your master list for a project/TOC serve? I could understand keeping it around if you ONLY processed/prioritizedthe next action step at a time for each project prioritized  and DIDN'T create individual tasks of the ones following the next action step.

Hm looking at our note titles I might understand it: Every task in a project gets a + since it is a task. If it can be scheduled, you create the reminder date and do so. Same for if it happens to be the next action. During your project reviews you look through each project for tasks that have a single + and revisit whether it is time for them to get scheduled or become the next action? Just a stab in the dark, might be way off. If this is true, do you differentiate between active/inacitve projects? And what foes in your projects section of you daily journal. Just a list of all projects active via hyperlinking the note title of master note for each or is it the projects with a task you are actively working that day at some point?

Also, in your outline you said "I assign current date to tasks I'm working on even if there is no hard date". Can you describe that a little further?   Ex below:

In this example, each step would be sequential. Today in this example is Wednesday

Project: Organize Garage

Task 1 (Research Shelving Options Online) (You know you want to do this this weekend, so maybe you put the reminder date as this Saturday, but it is also your next action so what would title look like)

Task 2 (Go to store and buy shelves) (You might be able to get this done this weekend, so what date do you put on it?)

Task 3 (Assemble shelving Units) (This will definitely not fit in the weekend as it is a time intensive task)

Task 4 (Organize and label items into bins)

What would the above look like in terms of titles, reviews, reminders, etc?

As always, thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, DealHaggler18 said:

what purpose does your master list for a project/TOC serve? (Project Master Note?)

I use the project master notes to produce a list of projects
It could simply contain the project title, but I also use it for project notes
Not entirely up to date as a TOC; I prefer to click on filter-by-tag and get a list of all project notes

>>it seems you have a tag to indicate completion for any note
>>But then you also edit the title with +Ω and mark the reminder as completed to indicate completion?

I use the reminderDoneTime field in the reminder feature
The title prefix stuff is just to control the note sequence. Its not critical; I like completed tasks out of the way at the bottom of the list
I agree it's a duplication

>>how do you handle it when your task for next action is also scheduled?

For me, scheduling is the important factor in my current task list; regardless of next action
The title prefix stuff is just to control the note sequence. Its not critical; I like next actions at the top of the list

>>once you draft action steps in a master note you prioritize them all (with a due/reminder date or a when tag,

Not really into When tags; I only use due/reminder date for priority
Currently in my project review, I can see which tasks are coming up
If it gets complicated, I could see the need for a When-Soon tag

>>do you differentiate between active/inacitve projects?

I have a generic "!Archive" tag that I apply to inactive projects

>>projects section of your daily journal. Just a list of all projects active via hyperlinking the note title of master note for each

Correct.  If I want to review the project, I click on the link.  I click on Filter-By-Tag to review all the notes for the project
I could obtain the same list with my Projects search shortcut, but I like the project list front and centre

>>Current section of your daily journal - task you are actively working that day

It's a copy of the note links from a saved search based on reminder date (Current Task List)

The Activities section of my daily journal is what I'm doing that day
It could be tasks or meetings from my calendar ...

>>Also, in your outline you said "I assign current date to tasks I'm working on even if there is no hard date". Can you describe that a little further?

A hard date is a set date for the task, for example   Supervise Sept 15 Construction
When I"m doing reviews and planning out my week; this could indicate that I'm working on a set of tasks tomorrow.  I'll assign tomorrow's date to the tasks so they trigger on my Current Task List
- this would be eqivalent to the When-Now used in some other schemes

>>What would the above look like in terms of titles, reviews, reminders, etc?

First, a project note     -Project: Organize Garage
There were some tasks, each one a separate note
     Task                      +Research Shelving Options Online
     Task                      +Go to store and buy shelves 
     Task                       +Assemble shelving Units
     Task                       +Organize and label items into bins
And miscellaneous research notes
      Research                Web clippings
Not critical, by I assigned prefixes so the notes sort into a logical order

Project Review:
     What is the next action?       ++Research Shelving Options Online
     Any scheduling? set reminder date to Saturday for Research Shelving Options Online
     If there are hard dates I would assign them, but for now, I'm only focusing on the Next Action

Task Completion: Research Shelving Options Online
       Flag task as completed (Reminder option)
       What is the next action?  Go to store and buy shelves
        Any scheduling? set reminder date

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

>>I have a generic "!Archive" tag that I apply to inactive projects

I should have asked how to you define an active project, not how do you track them. Ie is it as long as it has a current action step, or do you have some other way of deciding if something is active?

1 hour ago, DealHaggler18 said:

I should have asked how to you define an active project, not how do you track them. Ie is it as long as it has a current action step, or do you have some other way of deciding if something is active?

I really just have the Project Master Note.  The actual search is       tag:"!Type-Project", -Tag:!Archive
When I'm finished with the project, I add the tag:Archive to remove it from the list

My Current Task List is completely independent of this Project tracking
If I flag a note as actionable (I use Reminder date), it appears on my task list; regardless of any Project status 

1 person likes this