Notebook detection for new notes like web clipper

whittaker007

Idea

When I clip a new note using the web clipper it does an excellent job of detecting the appropriate notebook. It's so good that I don't think I've ever had to change it to something else.

When I drag & drop a PDF into the Evernote application, or send a document using the email inbox, the notes just go to my default notebook and I have to manually file these notes away whenever I remember to do so. Since the majority of notes I create come from automatic email rules and PDFs created from paper scans, manual filing takes a lot of unnecessary time.

It would be extremely useful if the same notebook detection logic that the web clipper uses could be used on newly imported or created content.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

The only auto filing feature I know about is a setting for emails.
Here's a screenshot from the web platform.
Its not something I use - I prefer to do my own filing; I just send my imports to a default Inbox notebook.

56ee9ba6cf0e6_ScreenShot2016-03-20at5.4356eebcfcb0216_ScreenShot2016-03-20at8.06

Hey, thanks for that, I never thought of looking in the web interface for config settings! That should take care of my automated email filing, which is the bulk of the notes that get created. I'll still need to review them in the "All notes" listing to delete the junk that also gets caught in the mail rules, but that should save me a heap of time.

It also doesn't cover importing PDFs from the file system, but the volume of those is small enough at the moment to not be too much of a burden.

Thanks again!

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, whittaker007 said:

It also doesn't cover importing PDFs from the file system, but the volume of those is small enough at the moment to not be too much of a burden.

I have an import folder for importing files to Evernote from the file system.
This is controlled by Folder actions and Applescript.
I've included rules in the script to do some automation in the filing and tagging.  It even parses my downloaded bank transaction csv files.

Archived