Advice: What is the best setup to keep track of my customer accounts?

I have several accounts that I would like to keep track of in Evernote.  Each account that I have has some information under them, like contract, contacts, use case, etc.  Currently, I have in OneNote, one notebook called Accounts, with each account is a Section and each account section has added pages named, contacts, use case, contracts, etc.

How can I mimic this in Evernote?  Each account needs to be a notebook with notes tagged for each "section", for example 

Notebook: XYZ Company

Tag: XYZ Company-Contacts

OneNote-Setup.tiff

• Level 5*
On March 17, 2016 at 10:33 AM, njw9 said:

I have several accounts that I would like to keep track of in Evernote.  
Each account that I have has some information under them, like contract, contacts, use case, etc.

How can I mimic this in Evernote?  

>>Each account needs to be a notebook
Warning - there is a limit to of 250 notebooks
I'd have a stack named Accounts as a container for the notebooks
An alternate idea is to identify your accounts by tag.

>>Tag: XYZ Company-Contacts
My feeling is there should be two tags: XYZ    and   Contacts
I would use tags, but also prefix the note title with the same info
- allows you to view your notes apart from the metadata
- allows you to sort notes by title and get an ordered list

Example Setup

Stack              Accounts
Notebook            Company XYZ
Notes                         XYZ Contact - aaaaaaa   tag:XYZ tag:Contacts
                                  XYZ Contact - bbbbbbb   tag:XYZ tag:Contacts
                                  XYZ CallNote -  Overview tag:XYZ tag:CallNote
                                  XYZ CallNote - yymmdd   tag:XYZ tag:CallNote
                                  XYZ UseCase -aaaa          tag:XYZ tag:UseCase 
                                  XYZ UseCase -bbbb          tag:XYZ tag:UseCase 

• Level 5*
On 3/17/2016 at 0:33 PM, njw9 said:

Currently, I have in OneNote, one notebook called Accounts, with each account is a Section and each account section has added pages named, contacts, use case, contracts, etc.

How can I mimic this in Evernote?  Each account needs to be a notebook with notes tagged for each "section", for example 

Notebook: XYZ Company

Tag: XYZ Company-Contacts

Neither OneNote nor Evernote are well suited for serious client account management.  Evernote is an excellent support tool for gathering and recording information about your clients and vendors, but it is not structured to provide good account management.  Can you setup Evernote to model your clients, accounts, contacts, etc?  Yes.  But it will be an ongoing chore requiring lots of manual effort on your part, and the part of everyone on your team.  Evernote also has minimal collaboration support.

I assume you want to leave OneNote for good cause.  Perhaps now is an opportunity to consider a wider range of options.  I know the lure of free, or very inexpensive software can be powerful, but you don't want to be, as they say, "penny wise and pound foolish".  But don't misunderstand me.  I love Evernote, and think it is probably the best PIM (Personal Information Manager) available.  As with any job, you always want to pick the best tool for the job, or at least the best tool you can afford.

I have a few tools that I might suggest, but I don't know enough about your needs to even begin.  If you'd like to provide more information about the scope of your business activity, I'd be glad to review it, give it some thought, and then make some suggestions.

OTOH, if you have already made up your mind about Evernote, and do not want to consider any other alternatives, I'll also be glad to make some suggestions on how you can use Evernote.  But here again, I need more information.  For example:

1. What is the primary purpose of using Evernote?
  2. What processes do you want it so support?
  3. How many accounts/clients does it need to support?
  4. How many client contacts?
  5. How many people on your team need active, read/write, access to the information?
  6. How do you expect to integrate Evernote with your other business tools, like email, accounting, billing, sales, orders, purchasing, etc?

Here is one more thing to consider.  The account, client, contact information you want to put in Evernote, do you also need to maintain this same information in your other systems/tools?  If so, that's a huge clue that you might be better served with another app/system that integrates all or most of your business functions.

Sorry if you were expecting a more direct, immediate answer.  You will probably get other replies offering more specifics.  My experience has shown that when you want to move your company information from one system to another, it needs to be done with careful thought if you want to maximize your likelihood of success.

Archived