Evernote search: is this possible?

I have a notebook called Drupal (shared). I also have notes in other notebooks which have a tag "drupal".

How do I make a saved search which includes the notebook "drupal" plus any notes tagged "drupal" ?

• Level 5*

Can't do it natively with EN search, AFAIK.. 

Workaround would be to tag every note in notebook Drupal with drupal, then do a tag:drupal search.  Or move all your drupal tagged notes to the Drupal notebook.  Or tag all the notes in the Drupal notebook with drupal and move them to whichever notebooks. 

If it were me, I'd go with the drupal tag and move the notes approach, but I'm a tagger and not so much notebooks.  It's got to fit Your eye.  FWIW

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TdeV said:

I have a notebook called Drupal (shared). I also have notes in other notebooks which have a tag "drupal"How do I make a saved search which includes the notebook "drupal" plus any notes tagged "drupal" ?

Unfortunately you can't do the search you want.

Here is a link to the search grammar - https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php
For some reason Evernote included search features like "any"; but then said NO - You can't use them for notebooks

I have the same problem with shared notebooks
- can't update the tags
- can't include the notebook in a search
My workaround has been instead of a simple search for tag:!Actionable
I have to do a saved search for "any: tag:!Actionable tag:Action tag:ToDo"
because the extra tags are used in the shared tables

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

16 hours ago, TdeV said:

The trouble, @csihilling, is that the notebook is shared. . . . :ph34r:

Is it not possible to tag all notes in the Drupal notebook with a  Drupal tag as well... even if it seems redundant to the people you're sharing with? It seems that tags are your all-'round best bet here. If you yourself wanted to distinguish between which notes are in the shared notebook and those which are not, you could try using the root tag for all notes (tag:Drupal)... and build on that tag like so:

• tag:Drupal_s (shared) 
  • OR, tag:Drupal_p (private)
  • OR, tag:Drupal tag:shared (2 tags)
  • OR, tag:Drupal tag:private (2 tags)
  • etc.

What you could do is search for all Drupal tags like so:

• tag:Drupal*

Or you could (still along lines of distinguishing between notes in the shared notebook) simply filter for the shared notebook and the tag in question (notebook:Drupal tag:Drupal).

17 hours ago, csihilling said:

Workaround would be to tag every note in notebook Drupal with drupal, then do a tag:drupal search.

Cal's tagging advice still stands... unless, that is, if the shared notebook was shared by another Evernote user. If so, they might be willing to tag everything therein with "Drupal" if you explained it to them nicely. On the other hand, if it's your own shared notebook, you could just force the Drupal tag on them :lol:

• Level 5*
On 3/16/2016 at 2:19 PM, TdeV said:

I have a notebook called Drupal (shared). I also have notes in other notebooks which have a tag "drupal".

How do I make a saved search which includes the notebook "drupal" plus any notes tagged "drupal" ?

Similar to what @csihilling suggested, you could do this:

• Assign a tag of "drupal.s" to all Notes in your "drupal" shared notebook
  • Then if you want a search of all "drupal" (from all Notebooks) it would be:
    tag:drupal*
  • If you want a search of anything but don't want to include the "drupal" notebook:
    -tag:drupal.s
  • Obviously you can restrict your searches to either by:
    • tag:drupal
    • tag:drupal.s
  • To find notes in the "drupal" notebook that are missing the "drupal.s" tag:
    notebook:drupal -tag:drupal.s

Archived