Evernote for Mac 6.6 Beta 3 released

Adjusting

Idea

• Level 5

Today we’re releasing Evernote for Mac 6.6 Beta 3. 

Fixes

- The note switcher (⌘J) has been updated to be more responsive and to provide more accurate results

- Various bug and stability fixes

Known issues

- Autocompletion of tags in the note editor is not working. A fix for this issue will be available in the final release.

Thanks for testing the Mac 6.6 Beta 3 release and please report issues you find in this forum thread. You can download the beta here or update from within the app.

27 replies to this idea

don*t know if it's related to the Beta, but I had an outlined list with bullets and some checkmarks and a link to another note and when I opened it, the link was not clickable, just green text and

• all the sub bullets were indented but then the super bullets didn't outdent
  • so it looked 
    • a bit strange
      • when
      • all items
      • slowly moved
        • to the right of the screen
        • mind you i still would want some better
        • outline features
        • now we're talking abot this
          • but this is weird anyway
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, Andrey P. said:

I downloaded this version, but once installed, it generates an error. If you install other versions, the error persists. What to do in this case?

It looks like you've decided to downgrade your software from a later version.
This is ok, except that your database has been updated to the later version.

My solution would be to delete the database and let it be rebuilt from the servers.
Warning: the rebuild does not include local notebooks or unsynced notes.

In case you need to locate your database, mine is at  
 /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com/nnnnnn

• Level 5*

Yes. Incremental search is no biggie if that is the definition being used. Vastly improved in a new beta.

Autoupdate of search results is a HUGE pain in the you-know-what.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, EdH said:

No, that is the SearchAsYouType delay registry hack. That does nothing to prevent autoupdating of search results as far as I can tell.

Sorry, I probably misled you with the mistake I made in posting the link, which I have now corrected.

So, there are two issues related to Search, that are both productivity killers:

1. Incremental Search
    1. This occurs when Evernote is re-doing the search after every character you type in the Search box.
  2. Autoupdate of Search Results
    1. This occurs when you do a search, and then make edits to one of the notes in the results list.
    2. If your edit causes the Note to no longer meet the Search criteria, the Note is automatically (without warning) dropped from the results note list, causing it to "disappear".

@EdH, I think you are referring to #2.

I agree, the Search should NOT be dynamic, should NOT autoupdate.  As you say, a simple "refresh" icon at the end of the Search box (like in a Browser address bar) would be perfect.

2 hours ago, EdH said:

I'd prefer a button near the search bar to "refresh search."

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

@EdH: see this post:

No, that is the SearchAsYouType delay registry hack. That does nothing to prevent autoupdating of search results as far as I can tell.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

@Adjusting, could you guys please take a look at fixing this long-standing issue that is a productivity killer:  incremental search

At least the EN Win folks have a registry setting where they can turn off "incremental search".
Please give us hard working Mac folks a Preference setting to do the same.

Just kill that feature. I'd prefer a button near the search bar to "refresh search." Excel does this with filtering. Filter whatever you want, then make as many changes as you want. When you want the filter results updated, you just tell it to "Reapply filter."

And I didn't know about the EN Windows registry hack on this. I shall be googling and applying shortly.

• Level 5*
On March 27, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Emerging Dragon said:

I can not downgrade, because Evernote complains about an database that was "built by an newer version of Evernote" - and I should use the newer version. Which of course is impossible because of constantly crashing.

Do a complete delete of the Evernote app and its database.  Reinstall the version you wish; Evernote will rebuild the database (except for local notebooks)

• Level 5*

@Adjusting, could you guys please take a look at fixing this long-standing issue that is a productivity killer:  incremental search

EDIT:  2016-03-29  17:18 CT

• Sorry, I posted the wrong link.  Now corrected:

At least the EN Win folks have a registry setting where they can turn off "incremental search".
Please give us hard working Mac folks a Preference setting to do the same.

Beta 6.6 crashes on my system approximately 10 sec after it has started. I am not able to figure out why this happens. The problem is: I can not downgrade, because Evernote complains about an database that was "built by an newer version of Evernote" - and I should use the newer version. Which of course is impossible because of constantly crashing.

Anyone got an idea what I should do?

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Of course it's my choice.  I did not mention you or anyone else, nor suggest nor encourage anyone else to do anything.

Thanks for the clarification; It wasn't that clear, since you posted your withdrawal announcement in a public discussion and used the label "unacceptable"
To be clear, I am encouraging the users to continue with the beta program.  This serves to improve the final product, and we all benefit.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, almorithm said:

So, why exactly do we not have a dark mode yet for Evernote after how many years of asking?

Instead of hijacking this discussion, it would be more useful to post this as a separate discussion where it can be addressed as a feature request.

So, why exactly do we not have a dark mode yet for Evernote after how many years of asking?  Specifically Mac....

I search the web constantly looking for Evernote alternatives because I'm so tired of working in such a stark white UI.

I've found a billion alternatives which I love but they don't have the cross platform functionality that I love with Evernote.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm not clear what tag stacks are

Tag stacks - isn't that the correct term for nested tags?

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

(do you like the alliteration)

What with my nouns and your alliteration maybe we should start composing replies together :wub:

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, trumpetg said:

Thank you for addressing the Sidebar tag stack arrow selection highlight issue

I'm not clear what tag stacks are
but I noticed highlight for selecting tag shortcut now works :)
but saved search shortcuts is  still highlighting Notes :(
(do you like the alliteration)

56ea9a04e289d_ScreenShot2016-03-17at4.4756ea9a0956835_ScreenShot2016-03-17at4.48

Thank you for addressing the Sidebar tag stack arrow selection highlight issue (not least because it allows me to string seven contiguous nouns together in a sentence for the first time, on any platform).

Noun celebration notwithstanding, however, it still needs a tiny tweak. Once the stack is selected and highlighted, clicking on the arrow to open the stack sometimes de-highlights the stack, so even though the stack opens it appears as if nothing is selected. Surely the selected stack highlight should persist? At the moment it would seem the highlighting is erratic: sometimes it persists, sometimes not.

Feel free to replace my nouns with any number of adjectives to describe my anal retentiveness when it comes to sidebars.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sorry, but I find this unacceptable and will not test a beta with this bug.

That's your choice.

I'm comfortable beta testing, knowing that it only addresses a select list of changes.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Uhm... welcome to beta testing?

I personally test with the understanding it may be total ***** and I have to reinstall and redownload. I wouldn't like that, and it may give me pause before reinstalling the beta vs the production build, but that is what beta testing is for. At least that has been my experience. YMMV.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Adjusting said:

Autocompletion of tags in the note editor is not working. A fix for this issue will be available in the final release.

This bug has already caused me a lot of pain by creating Tags I did not intend to create.  So then I have waste more time finding and deleting these errant tags.

Since you created the bug in B2, seems to me that you should fix it before you release another Beta.  Fixing bugs you create in a new beta/release should have your top priority, IMO.

You guys seem to like creating new stuff, but then you don't finish it properly.  Great ideas poorly implemented are not great at all.

For DTLow and anyone else interested in the algorithm:

The switcher shows the 8 highest ranking items based on a combination of signals computed for all items that match the search query. The Top Hit is simply the highest ranking item. The idea with Top Hit is that if we know the user probably wants a note it's best to pull it out of the notes section to the top to save presses on the down key.

Roughly speaking, the signals the current algorithm considers are:

• The quality of the string match (what portion of the title is matched, is the match anchored at the start of the title, is there a phrase match).
  • How recently/often the item was edited.
  • How recently/often the item was switched to.
  • Whether it's currently onscreen (a negative signal).
  • Whether it's a notebook (these are boosted a bit higher than notes).
  • Diversity -- we try to avoid producing lists of all notes or all notebooks.

We have a nuanced concept of recently/often that tries to balance the importance of things the user does a lot over time with the importance of things the user has done most recently.

For the results that appear before anything is typed we compute the same score as normal but without any of the string match signals.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Adjusting said:

- The note switcher (⌘J) has been updated to be more responsive and to provide more accurate results

I noticed this now shows Top Hit
Can you share how one of my notes became a Top Hit

56ea452607216_ScreenShot2016-03-16at10.4

Archived