newterritories

ANSWERED Searching for Exact Phrase (General)

Recently I was trying to search for some exact phrases somewhere in my 8000 notes -- a phrase that starts with general words is fine (i can find notes that have the phrase "object oriented" by just searching "object oriented"), but if the phrase starts with a preposition, like, "in the bank", or "the bank", it totally fails. Any tips for full-text searching for phrases that have prepositions? Best, Samantha

Have looked at these threads and seems there's nothing, but  maybe a new fix was created?

Hmmn.  Don't know if Evernote disregards common words - it would make sense,  given that they may be used dozens of times in any one post - but the way to get more detail is to add more words.  Try searches for 'Bank' plus other keywords that should exist in that note.  Use numbers - an account number,  the amount of a deposit or loan,  or a customer or employee name to create a more specific search.  Use 'search within context' as necessary to weed out irrevellant words and phrases,  and consider adding a tag to your note(s) when you find them,  or saving the full search to get there,  if you will need to find the note again.

@newterritories

Weird.  Out of interest I just did a "in the bank" search (in quotes) and found PDFs and text notes containing the phrase (mostly in statements from banks and the like).  Now this is using Windows desktop.  What platform are you using that has the issue?

Hi both, thanks for the replies. 

@gazumped, I'm mostly a writer, so i was looking for some note where i used the phrase "in the bank" (i think it says "20,000 dollars in the bank" or "confidence in the bank" or something, I'm not completely sure *when* i wrote it or what *other* weird fragmented phrases/topics are in that note -- of course if i did, i would have a much easier time finding it. But I figured, if it's a specific string of 3 consecutive words, the least Evernote can do is bring up all notes that have that specific string of 3 consecutive words... And instead, it just brings up  353 notes -- upon further investigation though, those 353 notes don't all have the consecutive string "in the bank", they do all have the phrase "the bank" --- but of course, i'm looking for something more specific. 

@csihilling I'm using Mac desktop (10.10.5)

You are welcome.  Perhaps someone on a Mac can run a quick test to see if they can duplicate your results.

Next step would be a trouble ticket.  Only thing would be if some special character got into the string in the note somehow.  Have you tried to create a new note and put the string in it or add it to an existing notes and see if that works?

Are you wrapping your phrase in quotes? That usually tells evernote to search fornthe literal string you are typing. Without the quotes it will return results that you described...posts containing any of the three words.

also you can turn on search explanations to see how evernote is interpretting your search directions. There will be the option in the search explanation bar to choose if the system looks for "any" ot "all" of the words. 

This is either a bug or a feature that has been extremely frustrating ever since I switched to using a mac 18 months ago. On the mac version of Evernote, wrapping a string of words in quotation marks does not return an exact phrase search - as any other search engine would.

Instead, you get (often hundreds of) notes returned with all those words in them, but not necessarily in that order. I have run tests to see if it at least prioritises those notes that include an exact phrase match. It does not.

I love Evernote, but I have to say this is a massive drawback that affects my use of the program on a near-daily basis. I am surprised to see so few other Premium users complaining about it.

If anyone knows of a work-around or imminent fix, I would be extremely grateful to hear of it. 

• Like 2

On 8/31/2016 at 7:36 AM, Sara_1 said:

This is either a bug or a feature that has been extremely frustrating ever since I switched to using a mac 18 months ago. On the mac version of Evernote, wrapping a string of words in quotation marks does not return an exact phrase search - as any other search engine would.

Instead, you get (often hundreds of) notes returned with all those words in them, but not necessarily in that order. I have run tests to see if it at least prioritises those notes that include an exact phrase match. It does not.

I love Evernote, but I have to say this is a massive drawback that affects my use of the program on a near-daily basis. I am surprised to see so few other Premium users complaining about it.

If anyone knows of a work-around or imminent fix, I would be extremely grateful to hear of it. 

I, too, am shocked that Evernote for Mac can't perform something so common as an exact phrase search.  This massive shortcoming seriously reduces the value that Evernote has to offer.

Is there a way to find out if anyone is working on this, or if Evernote is even aware of the problem?

9 hours ago, Бoris said:

Is there a way to find out if anyone is working on this, or if Evernote is even aware of the problem?

Evernote's developers do read these pages but rarely comment on what may or may not be in development.  You could try to get some direct feedback by contacting support directly if you can,  or messaging them on Twitter

On the Mac, one often overlooked feature is the search icon in the upper right corner can help search phrases.  It will return phrases found in your desktop Evernote. 

While I agree we REALLY need improvements to the Evernote search, this is my goto on the Mac in the meantime.  

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

It never occurred to me to use spotlight in this way, but it works. Thank you. 

@coachbrad Thanks for this suggestion, it had also never occurred to me but is a great fix! Obviously being able to do exact-phrase searching within desktop Mac Evernote would be the dream, but this is so helpful in the meantime. 

This is super damned annoying. If I wanted approximate search results I'd use a paper filing system.

F-ing useless search that does not return precise literal exact results in my quotation marks!

1 hour ago, brandbryce said:

search that does not return precise literal exact results in my quotation marks

Hi.  Using the Spotlight search on a Mac?

Something's weird with this ... on my Mac (Evernote 6.13.3), a literal exact search, using quotation marks, does work. For me at least. However, it doesn't work on my iPad, which makes searching there rather useless.

For what it's worth, make sure you've updated to the newest Evernote for Mac, because I believe the literal exact search wasn't working on my Mac a month or two ago.

• Like 1

It may have worked for a while on Mac desktop, but it definitely isn't working again in 7.0.1 (the latest update).