Set multiple Reminders in a Note

Sue_P

Idea

I would love the ability to add multiple reminders per note.  For instance, if I'm in a meeting, and have 5 action items, I'd love to be able to assign 5 separate reminders to each of my check-box action items.  Currently, I use a color coding system to know which action items I still have to complete. 

• Like 2

49 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to setup multiple reminders within a note have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for the ability to setup multiple reminders within a note here!

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-07 at 1:20 PM, SpaceName said:

In a respectful manner, I must ask how the 'reminder per note' in basic form, is not a feature yet ? 
In my opinion, reminders should be at least 1 per note(free users) and virtual-unlimited reminders(<32) per note (paid users). 

Evernote has a basic reminder feature, one date/time per note.  
There is no provision for multiple reminders; no provision for repeating reminders 

You can indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion
The request currently has 5a7c83a3bd809_ScreenShot2018-02-08at09_05_14.png.cc4d8b20568c9955ec19132a333eee64.png   votes

>>Maybe Evernote would think about spending some of that Evernote money on contracting me to implement features that would make Evernote a certainty regarding; multiple-industry kingpin for a decade. #Literally.    _ I would blow your minds. 

Note; there is no chage for the software; no charge for the upgrades
I'm not sure what your implementation ideas are.  I see it as a massive change for both the UI and database

>> I have more than a dozen features noted/detailed, that are regularly required by power-users.

Feel free to post them; Evernote is paying for these forums to obtain user feedback
Note; you are posting in the Mac forum.  
There is a general feature request forum at https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/304-evernote-feature-requests/

Adding my support to this thread with an upvote.

I would be wonderful to see individual reminders attached to to-do checkboxes. This is a feature I see and use in dropbox paper (though dropbox calls these features something different). This would permit a more functional to-do list in Evernote with reminders for individual tasks appearing after a planned completion deadline has passed. Right now, the lack of an individual reminder system for to-do items makes the Evernote functionality incomplete IHMO.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, allosh said:

Reminders within monthly planners

Your post has been merged with an ongoing discussion for this request
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Evernote has a reminder feature, but we only get a single entry per note   
This actually works for me - my actionable items are separate notes

>>monthly/weekly planner(s) just like Google calendar

You didn't identify your requirements for a "monthly planner"   
I use a saved search that generates a list of the reminder notes
                                                         reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*   
I export this task list to a spreadsheet and present the list in a gantt timeline view1802608023_ScreenShot2020-09-12at9_11_26PM.png.70d68ac2fe5a3506bac96750f3beeb87.png

• Level 5*

As you already appreciate,  not possible yet.  Current a;ternatives are:  assign each task to a note,  create separate new reminders (which will create otherwise blank notes),  or use a third party to-do app like Ticktick to cover the gap..

I appreciate that you brought up using reminders in action items. In other posts, everyone is focused on using multiple reminders for checklists (i.e. somehow linking reminders to check boxes) and making a true task manager out of it. While I concede that would be a great use for multiple reminders but HIGHLY difficult from a programming and interface view, my point is that if Evernote wants to expand into the workplace, adding multiple reminders per note (not connected to check boxes) is a necessity. Here's why:

I just finished a meeting with my boss. In that meeting I took copious notes of projects I need to be working on. He would like me on item (A) to let him know status by the end of the day. For Item (Q), I really need to have some basic tasks done by Thursday. And for item (Z), I will need to wait until Monday to get started due to some backlog in another department. I need a reminder for me to check in with the other department on Monday to see if I can get started yet.

If I can't have it remind me about these very important business items, then it is not a very productive business tool. I don't need a full-blown task manager. But just like the Evernote platform to begin with -- it's the flexibility and how you use the tools provided that make it powerful. This would be a HUGE step in making Evernote powerful again because there are MANY ways you could implement multiple reminders and get bang-for-the-buck.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Organizen said:

Oh that's an interesting idea... create a link to the note on multiple calendar entries.  Not sure how I would do that.

On the Evernote side, just do a copy link.

Calendar entries (Mac) have a space for a url

>> My feature request is not really for a specific platform of Evernote.  It is a feature request for all platforms. 

Its been requested (Feedback area covering all platforms).  In the meantime, I just posts requests in my preferred platform.  Hopefully a change in one platform will migrate to the others.

------------------

Moved to the product feedback forum.

To indicate your support for this reuest, Please use the voting buttons (Top Left Corner)

So the most straight forward thing to do is to copy the note in question however many times you need reminders. Set separate reminders for each action on each copy or to do as gazumped suggests above and create separate notes. 

I've used a lot of similarly priced to do list apps, I can't think of one that would allow such individualistic multiple reminders (although many have a repeat function). Only very expensive project management software can possible do this. 

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Jerry Hanel said:

I just finished a meeting with my boss. In that meeting I took copious notes of projects I need to be working on. He would like me on item (A) to let him know status by the end of the day. For Item (Q), I really need to have some basic tasks done by Thursday. And for item (Z), I will need to wait until Monday to get started due to some backlog in another department. I need a reminder for me to check in with the other department on Monday to see if I can get started yet.

As you found, having one mass note is problematic.  You can't assign reminders, scheduling  etc.

My process would be; After the meeting, copy each of tasks to separate task notes.  (I would put a link into the original note)

This allows me perform various actions on the individual task notes, such as reminders, scheduling

Edited by DTLow
  • Level 5*
On 11/4/2014 at 9:23 AM, Sue_P said:

For instance, if I'm in a meeting, and have 5 action items, I'd love to be able to assign 5 separate reminders to each of my check-box action items. 

As I'm sure you have found out by now, Evernote does a very poor job at project and task management.  It's OK for simple checklists, like grocery lists, but not so much for real world business management.

You might take a look at IQTell.  It does everything you are asking for, and much more.  It is a great, inexpensive, Project/Task manager that tightly integrates with Evernote..  It is quick and easy to add new Actions.

Often, a single note will contain multiple dates that are important to remember. For example, an email message that was sent to Evernote might list several dates on which classes are going to be held for the next few months. It would be nice if it were possible to set up reminders for multiple dates without having to duplicate the note over and over again.  (Currently it is only possible to set a single reminder date for each note.  If one wishes to set additional dates, One must create a duplicate copy of the note for each new date that one wants to have a reminder on.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi. If you feel strongly about an issue -

Evernote brought in a new system at the start of 2016 - Feedback Counters.  Start a new topic on the feedback pages,  and you can get others to register their interest (or otherwise) in the issue.  The more clicks the (presumably) more likely Evernote are to give that feature more weight in any development plans.

If someone can create a new topic in one (or more) of the feedback forums where up voting exists and post the link(s) here,  anyone who's interested can express their support in a meanigful way by clicking the counter.

Windows   https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/224-windows-desktop-product-feedback/

Mac   https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/218-mac-product-feedback/

Web   https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/234-web-beta-product-feedback/

General Feedback - that's coming we're told...

(I would have moved your post to an appropriate forum,  but you didn't mention your OS)

• Level 5*
On March 10, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Organizen said:

Often, a single note will contain multiple dates that are important to remember. For example, an email message that was sent to Evernote might list several dates on which classes are going to be held for the next few months. It would be nice if it were possible to set up reminders for multiple dates without having to duplicate the note over and over again.  (Currently it is only possible to set a single reminder date for each note.  If one wishes to set additional dates, One must create a duplicate copy of the note for each new date that one wants to have a reminder on.)

I wouldn't see this example as an Evernote concern - I'd be addressing it in the calendar app, with a link back to the note.

Oh that's an interesting idea... create a link to the note on multiple calendar entries.  Not sure how I would do that.  Hmm... well I actually like that Evernote sends me an email every time there is a reminder about a note, because often times, email gets my attention better than a pop-up reminder on my phone that goes away as quickly as it appears.  My feature request is not really for a specific platform of Evernote.  It is a feature request for all platforms.  I was actually using the iOS app when I had the thought that multiple reminders for a single note would be useful.  Is there a place to post general feature requests for all versions of Evernote, i.e. Evernote functionality in general?  I don't want to just post it on the Mac forum and leave out the windows, android, website, and iOS users.  Thanks.

• Level 5*

@Organizen

May be more work that it is worth to you, but you could try the free service of FollowUpThen.  It lets you create email reminders, which can be recurring if you like.  Also, in Windows EN you can Ctrl-Copy Note Link and paste the link in the email.  Then when the email arrives you just click the link and go to the note.  Don't know what the similar functionality for the link is in Mac.  So if you had four dates in the note you would create four email reminders.  FWIW.

For reference, I use this for the few notes I want to be really sure I remember beyond just the EN reminders and my TSW searches (today and the like).  Same reason as you; email is guaranteed to get my attention.

I wholeheartedly agree with this request.  I do a lot of writing, and have my writing note with multiple assignments, etc.  As there is a checkbox that lets you tick something off when you finish it, and because you can have multiple checkboxes within a single note, it stands to reason that you should be able to have multiple reminders per note.

And yes, you can break your note into multiple notes, each with their own reminder.  But for certain things, you can lose continuity and miss things/opportunities.

Hi, I really enjoy the work of the developers and the possibilities that the Evernote offer as a product. The only thing I would like to have more is to have a multiple number of reminders per one notification. As a student I sometimes have seminars at a list of different dates, and I have to be aware of them every time. I would find it much simpler to create one note of the seminar and attach to it the dates, and the array of reminders, rather then creating a special notebook, and filling it with a dozen of notes just in order to have the reminders among the other 5-6 important notes containing information.

I would really appreciate it if someone would suggest me how to do this if it is possible, or otherwise if this would be implemented in one of the next updates.

Keep what you are doing guys cause you are doing it right, it is by far the most advanced app of note taking and the most practical one. Thank you for your work!

Have a nice day!

I did a brief search and didn't find any user-suggested themes along these lines;

Evernote needs a more expansive reminder system. Repeating reminders, reminders by day of week, location, application launch, website launch, multiple reminders for one task/note, alarm settings and a calendar by which to set said reminders, or it needs to integrate with a system that already performs these services. 

If it isn't ever on my mind, my notes are pretty much useless to me. I need something to keep me up to date. Right now I'm using GTasks for everything and it's note-taking system is dismal in comparison. I really love Evernote's system for note-taking, it's brilliant. 

I agree that multiple reminders for one note would be great. Like a sticky TODO list with reminders for each item.

As for integrating Evernote reminders with a calendar, have a look at Cronofy. I works like a charm for me (Google calendar).

Another thing you can do is set up Saved Searches. For example

reminderOrder:* reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

will show all reminders that are due today.

In a respectful manner, I must ask how the 'reminder per note' in basic form, is not a feature yet ? 
In my opinion, reminders should be at least 1 per note(free users) and virtual-unlimited reminders(<32) per note (paid users).
This literally has me scratching my head as to why this is not already a feature.. isn't this meant for organization purposes(rhetorical) ?
Imagine a table with stages of work.. reminder per row/column..etc ..
Maybe Evernote would think about spending some of that Evernote money on contracting me to implement features that would make Evernote a certainty regarding; multiple-industry kingpin for a decade. #Literally.    _ I would blow your minds. Let's talk.
I've used Evernote for about 2 hours total now.. I have more than a dozen features noted/detailed, that are regularly required by power-users...and that's without actual thought power.  -  Subscription decisions would become a VERY EASY decision for all..

I am sure this will 'brush you guys the wrong way'.. as developers tend to let their ego come before their product's success.
Just know that I write this post with alot of respect intended... normally I uninstall and forget something exists and then I write my own. .. but Evernote has a market share that just wants some extras.. Proverbially; I want to bring a convertible top and FM radio to your car.

Thanks for at least reading this.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, SpaceName said:

virtual-unlimited reminders(<32) per note

I don't know, if I had 32 reminders per note I might look for a different line of work...  ;)

• Like 1

I have all my tasks in one note that need different reminders (also chiming in to the bandwagon that we should get recurring reminders). 

I have everything I need in one document titled "Career Goals" but I'd also like the option to rename the reminder, not with the given Note Title, but intead, "Contact Vivek in April". It doesn't work to have multiple notes that says "Contact [this person]". If Evernote wants to be an integrated system, perhaps it can provide this feature OR is it possible to direct people to app integrations that would best fit our needs? There must be a page for a list of app integrations showing what can give us support to save your developers time.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jeneration said:

I have all my tasks in one note that need different reminders

For my processing, I use a separate note for each task.

This allows for individual attributes; title, reminder, tags, ...
I can also list my tasks in different views; by project, due today, completed, outstanding,  ...

>>If Evernote wants to be an integrated system

imho  Evernote is a generic filing cabinet.  The general features can be used for functions like task management.

There are dedicated task management services that integrate with Evernote.  You could also look at TaskClone.

CalS,  the notion is a concept that there needs to be more than what they assume all people need.
It's a drastic number as so they can ask themselves why so many ? and hopefully realize that they do too little in all apsects of work.
Provide better, shapeable code and features. That's all....instead of this soccer mom stuff.
 'these devs create hard set functional-based programming that only does as they feel is correct.  No idea what is so difficult about managing data lines, and handling html.

I should just seek funding, to create a better solution than all there is.. ..and then you would see what I mean. 'As Evernote is a niche box in a dynamic container world.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, SpaceName said:

Evernote is a niche box in a dynamic container world.

I see Evernote as a general purpose digital file service.
At 4 votes, this request coud be considered a niche requirement.

>>I should just seek funding, to create a better solution than all there is

This is Evernote's story.
They got the funding and created a better solution currently in use by over 200 million accounts.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

They could implement a reminder on the checkbox level, creating a more robust "task" control  

Except there's no "checkbox level", just an icon in the text.
I use a checkbox list, but the dates are just text and I have ro reset the reminder manually (assisted by a script)

Not sure where the User fits in.  If it's delegated tasks; I use tag:!Delegated, and a tag for each person.

I agree that this is a needed feature! It's the only downside to using Evernote. Everything else is seamless and organized logically. I have a To Do List with multiple items that need to be completed with different due dates. Currently, I set a reminder for the one that is coming up the soonest and change it after that item is completed. That feels clunky and like it could easily be solved by putting a reminder option for each checkbox task. It would also be great if the task list could be organized by due date rather than just how they were entered (and the ones without due dates are just categorized under someday or something like that). Then, to make it even more effective, it would be great to have the option to view all your tasks together from all the different notes by due date so you know everything you need to accomplish for a given date. The lack of this feature made me consider using another app over Evernote. However, Evernote is overall better than all the other apps I researched. I just wish this feature was added for increased productivity and organization!

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, CamilleS said:

I have a To Do List with multiple items that need to be completed with different due dates...view all your tasks together from all the different notes by due date so you know everything you need to accomplish for a given date.

I also use the reminder feature for task due dates; however I use a separate note for each task.

My "To Do List" is the list of notes for the specified search criteria and sequence

• tasks due today
  • tasks by project
  • complete tasks
  • delegated tasks

This would be great. The app Things does this already and it’s especially useful for a project where you may have a final deadline, say January 1, 2019 but anticipate numerous intermediate deadlines.

Example: Notebook named Bio paper - due 1/1/2019.

[. ]topic due 9/10/2018

[  ]first rough draft due 10/1/2018

[  ]second rough draft due 11/1/2018

etc.. 

each of these reminders would be set from within the app (not just written out) so that you would recieve email/Evernote reminders.

if you’re interested in this feature, Things does this already and I’m keeping it around for only this reason. If Evernote implements, I will discontinue using Things.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Margarida Afonso said:

Inside a note, for instance, if in a note you have a check list with 3 topics: 
- a 
- b 
- c 
to be able to different dates/reminders to each? 

My workflow is to create a separate note for each of those "topics"
I use a script (Mac) to assist with this, and there are third party utilities.

Checklists are nice but they have limited functionality.
As separate notes I can do much more, including separate reminders.

• Level 5*

This would be a not insubstantial architecture change to Evernote notes, entailing changes to the Evernote SDK as well, and breaking such existing search language features as "remindertime", "reminderorder", etc.. I'd guess it's going to be one reminder per note for the foreseeable future (not that I'm privy to Evernote's plans)...

This is has been a must have feature for Evernote for a long time. All the third party and work around options are way too cumbersome.

The ability to have a reminder per list item/checkbox item would be great.

I would also LOVE to have this ability.  The whole reason I got Evernote and upgraded to premium was to try to use organizational skills that my psychiatrist has suggested for my ADHD lol...One of them is to make a master list of things that I need to do around the house and then I can make sublists from there like daily lists.  I also take a bunch of medications for nerve damage from a botched back surgery and I forget to take them on time or at all because of my ADHD so it would be nice to incorporate those into my daily lists and be able to have a reminder go off for them.   Also I could put things that I have to do at specific times on that list and set reminders.  I am really liking a lot of what this app can do but I am thinking that without this feature it might not be for me....that might be a deal breaker because it is something that I really need to keep me on task with my disability lol.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, campinghippie said:

I would also LOVE to have this ability.  The whole reason I got Evernote and upgraded to premium was to try to use organizational skills that my psychiatrist has suggested for my ADHD lol...One of them is to make a master list of things that I need to do around the house and then I can make sublists from there like daily lists.  I also take a bunch of medications for nerve damage from a botched back surgery and I forget to take them on time or at all because of my ADHD so it would be nice to incorporate those into my daily lists and be able to have a reminder go off for them.   Also I could put things that I have to do at specific times on that list and set reminders.  I am really liking a lot of what this app can do but I am thinking that without this feature it might not be for me....that might be a deal breaker because it is something that I really need to keep me on task with my disability lol.

Hi.  There are so many calendar apps out there that I'd suspect Evernote don't see it as a priority to become just another place to set alarms.  Plus the amount of coding necessary to add the ability to set,  and snooze,  and delete multiple alarms and sync those settings across all devices would likely not be cost-effective. (No inside information here,  just my best guess.)

I use Google Calendar* on several devices for my scheduling tasks,  with links back to Evernote notes for more details where necessary.  You could,  forinstance set an alarm to 'take meds' several times in the day,  linking back to the same Evernote list of the meds required each time.  Create that schedule for one day and set repeats for the next year,  and you're done!

(* Other calendars are available!)

• Level 5*
On 7/31/2020 at 6:19 AM, campinghippie said:

One of them is to make a master list of things that I need to do around the house and then I can make sublists from there like daily lists.

Evernote works better if you create separate notes for each "thing"    
The "sublists" are a list of notes matching a criteria, like an "around the house" tag   
As separate notes, we can assign individual reminder dates

>medications

I'm still using Apple Reminders for these reminders.  There's better notification alerts

>I would also LOVE to have this ability.

You're welcome to indicate your support using the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion.  There's currently 28 votes

imho  Multiple note reminders is a no go because of the significant design changes

Since Evernote has been providing templates, it'd really be great if we're able to add reminders on monthly/weekly planner(s) just like Google calendar. There are things that I only do on Evernote and it'd be nice to have all tasks related to them on Evernote as well.

42 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote has a reminder feature, but we only get a single entry per note   
This actually works for me - my actionable items are separate notes

You didn't identify your requirements for a "monthly planner"   
I use a saved search that generates a list of the actionable notes
                                                         reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*   
I export this task list to a spreadsheet and present the list in a gantt timeline view1802608023_ScreenShot2020-09-12at9_11_26PM.png.70d68ac2fe5a3506bac96750f3beeb87.png

What I meant to say is one reminder per note is not enough when I'm using the monthly template where I plan my month. I'd like to add reminders to the days (and actually be visualized on the planner) and such just like how we do that on Google calendar.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Donostio said:

This is the key function I'm looking for. Is there a way to do anything similar in Evernote yet?

As far as we know,  the situation is unchanged.  There are workarounds as above.

Yes there is...Stop using evernote and use Todoist!  It is the best app ever for what I need!  You can even set reminders by location...for example if you need something at menards the next time you are there you can set a location alarm to go off and remind you the next time you are physically there!!!

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, campinghippie said:

It is the best app ever for what I need! 

That's great for you   
What we need is Evernote with multiple reminders for a note

• Level 5

What I do as a workaround: I create an external link to the note and share it with my task manager Things 3 (iOS and MacOS only). This creates a new item in Things, containing the link to the EN note.

Control of that item (like multiple reminders) is done with Things. When I need the content, I simply click on the link, and the note will open in EN.

This should work with other task managers as well.

• Level 5*

I've used TickTick for items with and without delivery dates with links back to Evernote notes for details and progress.  Currently only using Google Calendar (after brief flirtations with almost every other Calendar app) because it just works.  (And I use Gmail so there are integrations that help.)

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, campinghippie said:

use Todoist!

12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

What I do as a workaround: I create an external link to the note and share it with my task manager Things 3

53 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I've used TickTick for items with and without delivery dates with links back to Evernote notes for details and progress.  Currently only using Google Calendar

A dedicated task app may provide multiple reminder dates and additional task features     
The link back to Evernote notes is useful

As an Apple user, I have access to Apple Calendar/Reminders sync'd between devices

• Like 1