customizable keyboard shortcuts

I don't understand why in the latest update of the Evernote desktop client you have statically changed the hotkeys. I want to be able to set my own hotkeys. I also want to be able to determine what things get autoformatted in a note. I do want asterisks to change into bullet points, but I don't want a sequence of dashes to change into a horizontal rule. These options should be opened up so the user can customize, just like in Adobe Photoshop. I love setting my own hotkeys and using them in Photoshop, it makes me so much more productive. If you did this it would make Evernote much more pleasurable to use.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  You seem to be talking about the autoformat process that creates lists and lines based on your typing.  Some OS's now include an option to switch that off in Settings.  If you are talking about keyboard shortcuts,  have a look at some of the options here in Evernote's Help Center

Hi, thanks. Yes I'm glad I can toggle the autoformatting for lists and lines, but in my preferences on Mac, I can only toggle them all as a group, with a checkbox for "Keyboard shortcuts automatically create lists, lines, and emojis". I'm just saying I wish I could choose which items get autoformatted. Same with keyboard shortcuts, I wish they were like Photoshop where you can define your own shortcuts. This way the features you use can be linked to convenient or intuitive key combos.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, goutos19 said:

I'm just saying I wish I could choose which items get autoformatted. Same with keyboard shortcuts, I wish they were like Photoshop where you can define your own shortcuts. This way the features you use can be linked to convenient or intuitive key combos.

I agree it would be helpful if Evernote would provide us with more Preferences/Options so that we can customize the Evernote app to our liking.

Until/IF that happens, and if you need stuff like autoformatting of specific stuff a lot, then it may be worthwhile for you to invest in tools like  TextExpander and/or Keyboard Maestro (for the Mac).  I have both, and use both of them many times a day.

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5
On 10/21/2018 at 1:00 PM, Otto P. said:

Can anyone please teach me how to change shortcuts...
Im interested in change the HIGHIGHT shortcut from the original mode (Ctrl + Shift + H) to (command + H)

The only customizable shortcuts can be seen in Tools > Options > Shortcut keys. That's on Windows; it may be different on Mac. On Windows, the formatting shortcuts can't be customized.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The only customizable shortcuts can be seen in Tools > Options > Shortcut keys. That's on Windows; it may be different on Mac. On Windows, the formatting shortcuts can't be customized.

Unless you roll your own.... with a text expander of some sort.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

On Macs, the OS allows customized shortcuts for any menu item.

• 2 years later...

I have similar problem - i have 10.4 version, which is supposed not to have many shortcuts known from previous version. Unfortunately, it has. An example - shortcut alt-s, which in my county is dedicated to one of local signs, still work in my 10.4 fresh installation as print screen capture (there was no evernote on this host before). In previous version (on other computer) i could disable this shortcut. In 10.4 version, I can do nothing with this. 

Please, restore Tools --> Options --> Shortcuts immediately. I have no access to this using 10.4 version of Evernote for Windows 10.

• Like 2
On 11/30/2020 at 1:51 PM, Michael Kolak said:

I have similar problem - i have 10.4 version, which is supposed not to have many shortcuts known from previous version. Unfortunately, it has. An example - shortcut alt-s, which in my county is dedicated to one of local signs, still work in my 10.4 fresh installation as print screen capture (there was no evernote on this host before). In previous version (on other computer) i could disable this shortcut. In 10.4 version, I can do nothing with this. 

Please, restore Tools --> Options --> Shortcuts immediately. I have no access to this using 10.4 version of Evernote for Windows 10.

Same issue here. Whenever i need to use alt+s on windows, I have to close Evernote first

Same here

On 11/30/2020 at 5:51 AM, Michael Kolak said:

Same here... It's driving me crazy. When I type AltGr+s, it closes Evernote instead of typing the international character.

On 11/30/2020 at 1:51 PM, Michael Kolak said:

Same issue for me - no local sign when Evernote is running and no possibility to change the Keymap. This is really weird user experience.

I love Evertnote, but if i cant remove the ctrl + Alt + S clipper flunction, the appication is no good to me. 

It interfears with my more impartant fix shortcuts that iu also cant change. 

I need to solve this problem soon. to fuction i needed to removed evernote from my pc, 

Please someone help me...;(  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is driving me crazy!

On Mac v. 10.9.10, I can't figure out how to stop creating checkboxes when I type "[]" or even "[ ]". Insane!

This is seriously impacting my use of this product, that I rely on daily. 😡

• 5 months later...