Would you nincompoops please explain the horrible thing you would do by making your product usable by doctors and lawyers? I did keep client notes in Evernote; realized what an asinine dolt I was, converted them all into a one-time pay app which supported homegrown encryption (and I did do my own aes256 encrypted backups) and I am a little peeved by your bizarre attitude.

I don't ever want password recovery. I forget the password,  the notes are no longer readable.  Hurrah!  I'll preserve it by tattooing it on a sensitive part of my body.  I just want easy convenient encrypted notebooks with a master password (and fingerprint swipe detection on newer phones). The cut-n-paste "encryption" is no good,  I use a phone and it's a pain in the ***** anyway. 

Encrypted notes not searchable by web? EXCELLENT! Paradigm and high moral road arguments be damned,  I WANT ENCRYPTION! 

No,  I don't trust all your employees. Neither do you. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sadly us nincompoops are all fellow users,  and Evernote staff rarely leap in to explain its actions,  I assume on the basis that good or bad,  it makes its own decisions on what sort of features to adopt based on (1) feedback from users and (2) its own development plans. 

Encryption has been a popular request,  but Evernote don't seem to have any intention of competing with existing practice management software or gaining the various certifications it would need around the world for patient data.

Purely a personal opinion on my part,  but applying any global encryption to notes now would I suspect prevent Evernote from carrying out future improvements to the editor,  UI,  note structure etc,  and would 'fix' the app in its current state regardless of the many other requests from other users for tweaks and changes,  Encryption is the kind of thing you can do only once at the end of product development.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Encryption is the kind of thing you can do only once at the end of product development.

That doesn't make any sense to me.  Why would you say that?

Evernote has had in-note encryption for a long time, and yet has continued development.
Adobe Acrobat has had encryption for years, and yet they continue to develop the product.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, gazumped said:

Purely a personal opinion on my part

Fair point,  but it seemed to me that given the general structure of notes and tags and notebooks and stacks,  the generation of locations and created/ updated dates,  and ongoing date-driven features like reminders, and the possibility that Evernote might still have plans to add things we haven't seen yet,  setting up an encryption system would be a limiting factor.  Unless you can somehow plan into your encryption system the ability to add new services you haven't thought of,  or haven't developed yet,  you need to be pretty confident that the data structure you're going to encrypt won't change significantly.  In-note encryption is 'easy' - you're just dealing with content,  not structure. 

I could easily be wrong.  ;)

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

In-note encryption is 'easy' - you're just dealing with content,  not structure. 

I could easily be wrong.  ;)

In general, I don't see any reason encryption should affect data structures, at least not in any major way.  Encryption simply changes the content from something readable to something unreadable, unless you have the encryption key.

Archived