!!! Modifying Sharing->Enable Public URL causing Sync Conflict !!!

Hello. I am experiencing this problem with Evernote. The following steps reproduce this problem at my end without fail.

1. Open chrome and go to any website.
  2. Clip the article using Evernote's Chrome Extension. I have experienced this problem using both "Simplified Article" format as well as "Article" format.
  3. When the chrome extension says that the synching is complete, go to Evernote's Windows Desktop Client and synchronize notes to fetch the clipped note to your local machine.
  4. Open the note and go to "Share"->"Modify Sharing..." and in the dialog box that pops up, select "Enable public link".
  5. When the public link is generated, click "OK" and close the pop-up dialog.
  6. synchronize notes again.
  7. You'll see a note conflict. While the original note would sync to the Evernote servers with public link enabled, but a conflicting note would be created in the "Conflicting Changes" notebook.

What's interesting is that this problem seems to occur only with clipped articles, not with new notes created within the Windows desktop client, syncing it with Evernote servers, then modifying its sharing settings by enabling its public link and syncing the changes with the Evernote servers.

Please look into the matter.

Note: Neither do I have Evernote client installed on any of my other machine/tablet/mobile nor am I hopping between Evernote Web & Evernote Desktop client. The only Evernote I am using is the one installed on my PC.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, beckham said:

You'll see a note conflict. While the original note would sync to the Evernote servers with public link enabled, but a conflicting note would be created in the "Conflicting Changes" notebook.

Looks like this issue is limited to EN Win.  I just tested your exact procedure in EN Mac 6.5 on Yosemite (10.10.5), and I did NOT get a conflicting note or any other issues.

I hope they are able to resolve this EN Win issue very soon.

• Level 5*

A uninstall-reinstall will not fetch from scratch your data from the servers.  In any case, do a backup of you data before the reinstall as a safety measure.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, csihilling said:

A uninstall-reinstall will not fetch from scratch your data from the servers. 

I'm confused by your statement.  Doesn't a clean install of the desktop app download everything from the EN Cloud?
That's what "fetch from scratch your data from the servers" means to me.

On 3/3/2016 at 11:11 PM, briancaldwell said:

@beckham Which version of Windows are you using? Which version of the Evernote for Windows app are you using?

@Stephane Lo

@briancaldwell I am using Evernote 5.9.6.9424 (277494) Public on Windows 7 (32-bit).

I was actually using 5.9.4 and had been facing this issue with it for sometime. So day before yesterday, when the popup to update to 5.9.6 came up, I updated to see if it resolves this issue. But the update didn't have any effect. That's why I posted this scenario here.

Did the steps reproduce this scenario at your end with either 5.9.4 or 5.9.6.9424 (277494) Public?

*** Just to be sure that lack of reproduction is ruled out on account of version differences among the various softwares involved, please confirm the tests results using:

Google Chrome Version: 46.0.2490.86

Evernote Web Clipper Version: 6.7.1 (5ae9ca9/1.1.0.926)

Evernote Windows Client Application Version: 5.9.6.9424 (277494) Public

Windows 7 (32-bit)

@gazumped @JMichaelTX @briancaldwell

Please also confirm the version of Evernote Web Clipper & Chrome browser you're using...if at all any of these have anything to do with this scenario.

I am using:

Google Chrome Version: 46.0.2490.86

Evernote Web Clipper Version: 6.7.1 (5ae9ca9/1.1.0.926)

Evernote Windows Client Application Version: 5.9.6.9424 (277494) Public

Windows 7 (32-bit)

I request these information because Chrome Web Store tells me that the latest version of Evernote Web Clipper is 6.7.1 too, despite it being updated just  days back on 2nd March 2016.

It makes me a little suspicious...I remember that I installed the Web Clipper in December 2015. And since then, I have not updated either my Chrome or any of my extensions. Despite this, my Evernote Web Clipper version is 6.7.1...which is the same as the latest version available on Chrome Web Store, with update. Have there only been new builds and no version changes in this 3 month period?

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  My Chrome is Version 50.0.2661.11 dev-m (64-bit) / Clipper  6.7.1 (5ae9ca9/1.1.0.926)

Clipper doesn't change very often - wouldn't be surprised if July 2015 was the last update.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Clipper doesn't change very often - wouldn't be surprised if July 2015 was the last update.

The last update was just 2 days back on 2nd March 2016...that's why wanted to confirm whether this latest update involved any version number changes.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I'm confused by your statement.  Doesn't a clean install of the desktop app download everything from the EN Cloud?
That's what "fetch from scratch your data from the servers" means to me.

App uninstall - reinstall leaves the data alone.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

OK, I agree with that.  Your post didn't qualify it as an "app" uninstall.

Good to know we have consensus.  The OP qualified the question so I didn't see much need to repeat in my post.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, csihilling said:

The OP qualified the question so I didn't see much need to repeat in my post.

It never hurts to qualify your response, especially when all that is needed is a little 3-char "app".  ;)
It really helps when reading and quickly scanning many posts.  Also remember that posters can edit their post.
This is one of the reasons I really like the new selective quote in the updated forum software.

Archived