Evernote for Mac 6.6 Beta 1 Released

Adjusting

Idea

• Level 5

Today we’re releasing Evernote for Mac 6.6 Beta 1.

Changes:

• Updated audio recording user interface. The audio recording ui has a new cleaner look which also fixes some layout issues which were present in languages other than English.
  • Left side navigation area now visually preserves your selections. When you select a tag or a notebook in the sidebar, that item will become highlighted.
  • Contextual menu item for the note tags area. This allows tags to be copied and pasted more easily.
  • New menu items to duplicate a note. The 'Duplicate Note' menu item has been added to the Note menu and the note list context menu.

Fixes:

• Checkboxes should now be visible when you print a note.
  • We've continued to make changes which should improve sync and stability.

Known issues:

• Switching accounts can cause Evernote to present a dialog reporting an internal database error and then exit. This is especially likely if one or both of the accounts has not been fully down-synched. The dialog is a little misleading as the app exits before any database error can occur.
  • Playback of audio recordings on Mavericks (10.9.*) can cause a crash. We already have a fix for this issue and it should be resolved in the next beta release.

Thanks for testing the Mac 6.6 Beta 1 release and please report issues you find in this forum thread. You can download the beta here or update from within the app. 

26 replies to this idea

El Cap:

1. Spotlight:  I uploaded a pdf containing note yesterday.  It contains a word that EN search found but spotlight did not (simply looking it up in the dictionary).  Older notes seem to be preserved

2. Services menu: 'add to evernote' failed (prompted me to write) but is now functioning, bit weird I know

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, EdH said:

If you type a tag, like "2-Next", when you type "2-" it immediately makes the tag turn into "2-Next-"
THat is driving me nuts. It was confirmed by another person this was an issue that was fixed before, and has cropped back up in Yosemite.

I have the same problem in OS 10.11.3 El Capitan

I opened support ticket 1430975
Tags - defaults when special charactures are present
> 1. Have tags: When Later, When Now, When-2015, When-2016
> 2. Add the tag When-2016 to a note
> Type When-2016<enter>
> 3. The result is a new tag: When Later-2016

• Level 5*
On March 1, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Adjusting said:

There are a few known issues which are exclusive to El Capitan, but they’re all quite minor:

• Opening a PDF in preview requires the eye icon to be clicked twice.
  • Note History appears behind Note Info in full screen mode.
  • The descender in a lower case g can be hidden in certain text fields (e.g. in the notebook pulldown)

No, that isn't it. If you type a tag, like "2-Next", when you type "2-" it immediately makes the tag turn into "2-Next-"

THat is driving me nuts. It was confirmed by another person this was an issue that was fixed before, and has cropped back up in Yosemite.

Also, I created a note earlier today with the previous build, then upgraded to this beta, and deleted that note. But it won't delete.

See screenshot here. It is in my inbox, but, it is deleted.

Oh, and I love Love LOVE the left sidebar not highlighting "Notes" persistently. If this beta doesn't do anything else, that fix alone was worth it.

Well, if it fixes the issue where merged notes aren't merged in the order selected like the Windows client, that would be nice too. :)

On 3/1/2016 at 4:51 PM, Adjusting said:
  • New menu items to duplicate a note. The 'Duplicate Note' menu item has been added to the Note menu and the note list context menu.

Thank you!

Any chance this will get a keyboard shortcut?  Command+D, like in Finder, would be great.

But regardless, thank you!

Same thing here... on my left is mostly shortcuts and recent notes. None of those remain highlighted when clicked. If I click on a notebook it it highlighted. So this feature appears buggy to me because some things are highlighted and some aren't. So it just looks inconsistent. I know it's probably not actually a bug.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

Unfortunately I think its difficult to highlight the shortcuts and recent items because they are basically links 

Understood.
My workaround is that instead of adding a tag to the shortcuts area, I put it in a search; I then add the saved search to the shortcuts area. The search box then shows the scope of the note list being displayed.

5 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

I'm not able to reproduce this issue so I don't think this is a new issue or an issue that happens for every PDF.  I'm guessing it is something unique to the PDF you attached.  It looks like you have a large slideshow of some sort which is probably why this isn't working and I'm guessing the software is getting confused about what part of the PDF to show.  Maybe there's a limit to the number of pages that is supported.  Anyway, please try a different PDF to see if it is a general issue or just an issue with this PDF and report back in this forum.  

Previous pdf's I could open also doesnt open up.. Probably also an API issues as the recording issue.

1 hour ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

On 1 March 2016 at 1:24 AM, trumpetg said:

When editing a note on my iMac, the drop-down menu for changing fonts actually drops UP now and the list of fonts disappears beyond the top of the screen, requiring scrolling up to access a different font. This may not be new but I've never noticed such behaviour before.

I'm not able to reproduce this issue.  What OS are you using?  Is there anything unique with your set up?  Evernote doesn't control this.  Mac OS typically decides if a menu pops up or down and it sounds like either OS or Evernote is making the OS think that there isn't enough room to pop the menu down for some reason.  Possibly reboot your system.

I'm on OS X 10.11, the first version of El Cap. I've been holding off upgrading my system for various reasons too complex to enumerate here.

I have no extensions which might interfere with font access.

Maybe, as you suggest Marcus, the problem lies with the fact I'm not on the latest OS, but it seems strange I didn't encounter this behaviour with any of the EN 6.5 series.  

And rebooting didn't solve it.

P.S. I should perhaps add that my default font for EN is Lucida Grande, a hold-over from happier font days. Lucida Grande appears at the bottom of the font list and not in alphabetical order with EN's other font choices. It just now occurred to me that this may be the cause of the problem - somehow because LG is at the bottom of the list it is persuading the drop-down menu to point upwards. But, again, this wasn't happening with previous versions of EN.

3 hours ago, iilaplex said:

I think you could try to turn it on in "sidebar options", which you could search in "help" search bar.

I don't understand your suggestion: the "list tags" is on, as you can see from the screenshot that I posted... the problem is that one of the tags is missing from the list.

On March 1, 2016 at 2:10 PM, JMichaelTX said:

@Adjusting, where do you stand with regards to compatibility with El Capitan? 

I think it's safer to use Evernote with El Cap than other OSs because most of the testing is done on El Cap so the issues are found faster.  Also the vast majority of Evernote users are using El Cap so it must be fine for most people.

On March 1, 2016 at 2:20 PM, DTLow said:

Oops; getting sore again,
This doesn't see to be active in the shortcuts area.

Unfortunately I think its difficult to highlight the shortcuts and recent items because they are basically links but I get why it makes sense.  Since I don't work at Evernote any more you'll have to wait for them to give you a definitely answer.

On March 1, 2016 at 3:24 PM, trumpetg said:

When editing a note on my iMac, the drop-down menu for changing fonts actually drops UP now and the list of fonts disappears beyond the top of the screen, requiring scrolling up to access a different font. This may not be new but I've never noticed such behaviour before.

I'm not able to reproduce this issue.  What OS are you using?  Is there anything unique with your set up?  Evernote doesn't control this.  Mac OS typically decides if a menu pops up or down and it sounds like either OS or Evernote is making the OS think that there isn't enough room to pop the menu down for some reason.  Possibly reboot your system.

On March 2, 2016 at 10:58 PM, David Krige said:

Hi, I've updated this version on OS X version 10.9.5, and the audio recording is not working for me. If I click on the mic in a note, nothing seems to happen.. The top bar did move down, but is empty.

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 8.56.32 AM.png

I think the old UX is supposed to show up in this case since we used newer APIs to build the audio toolbar that 10.9 doesn't support but I'm not sure.  Thanks for reporting this.

23 hours ago, David Krige said:

Another issue I'm experiencing: Annotating a pdf, the screen that pops up doesnt show the pdf, but parts of my screen as per attached. There is no way to scroll down or anything.

Any advice on reverting my upgrade?

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 11.23.14 AM.png

I'm not able to reproduce this issue so I don't think this is a new issue or an issue that happens for every PDF.  I'm guessing it is something unique to the PDF you attached.  It looks like you have a large slideshow of some sort which is probably why this isn't working and I'm guessing the software is getting confused about what part of the PDF to show.  Maybe there's a limit to the number of pages that is supported.  Anyway, please try a different PDF to see if it is a general issue or just an issue with this PDF and report back in this forum.  

7 hours ago, pmota said:

After installing  this release I noticed that one of my tags doesn't appear on the left side panel... please see image attached.

screenshot.png

I think you could try to turn it on in "sidebar options", which you could search in "help" search bar.

It's a pity that only some layout issues present in languages other than English didn't fix the presentation mode. The font bug in Czech language is present in Evernote for number of versions and still no fix :-( If I present from Evernote people look at me that I'm not able to setup fonts correctly - embarrassing situation ... bad reputation for Evernote. Mouse pointer in presentation mode hangs, the movement is not smooth anymore. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-02%20at%2021.55.

18 hours ago, Adjusting said:

Today we’re releasing Evernote for Mac 6.6 Beta 1.

Changes:

• Updated audio recording user interface. The audio recording ui has a new cleaner look which also fixes some layout issues which were present in languages other than English.
  • Left side navigation area now visually preserves your selections. When you select a tag or a notebook in the sidebar, that item will become highlighted.
  • Contextual menu item for the note tags area. This allows tags to be copied and pasted more easily.

Fixes:

• Checkboxes should now be visible when you print a note.
  • We've continued to make changes which should improve sync and stability.

Known issues:

• Switching accounts can cause Evernote to present a dialog reporting an internal database error and then exit. This is especially likely if one or both of the accounts has not been fully down-synched. The dialog is a little misleading as the app exits before any database error can occur.
  • Playback of audio recordings on Mavericks (10.9.*) can cause a crash. We already have a fix for this issue and it should be resolved in the next beta release.

Thanks for testing the Mac 6.6 Beta 1 release and please report issues you find in this forum thread. You can download the beta here or update from within the app. 

The selection in the sidebar does not work, still

non-retina iMac, running OS X 10.11.3

12 hours ago, trumpetg said:

One more issue: 

Indeed, this is odd behavior.

There is no point in presenting this dropbox reversed.

Please reverse the reversing

Hi, I've updated this version on OS X version 10.9.5, and the audio recording is not working for me. If I click on the mic in a note, nothing seems to happen.. The top bar did move down, but is empty.

Any advice? Really need the audio recording..

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 8.56.32 AM.png

• Level 5
1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

Evernote is now the only app holding me back from upgrading from Yosemite.  I use and depend on Evernote many times a day, so I must be sure it will not have any issues when I upgrade to El Capitan.

There are a few known issues which are exclusive to El Capitan, but they’re all quite minor:

• Opening a PDF in preview requires the eye icon to be clicked twice.
  • Note History appears behind Note Info in full screen mode.
  • The descender in a lower case g can be hidden in certain text fields (e.g. in the notebook pulldown)

One more issue: 

Thanks so much for bringing back sidebar selection highlights at last!

As DTLow pointed out, shortcuts are not highlighted. Nor are Recent Notes.

And one further anomaly to bring to your attention: when a tag stack is selected in the sidebar, the dropdown arrow is not reversed to white – it simply becomes invisible. 

But thanks again. This a big improvement. So much less confusing for newbies.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Adjusting said:

Thanks - that was always a sore point.
Oops; getting sore again,
This doesn't see to be active in the shortcuts area.

This is important for me because I rarely use the tasklist.  I have key tags in my shortcuts.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Adjusting said:

Left side navigation area now visually preserves your selections.

Many thanks for this change.

Evernote is now the only app holding me back from upgrading from Yosemite.  I use and depend on Evernote many times a day, so I must be sure it will not have any issues when I upgrade to El Capitan.

Thanks.

Archived