Evernote resets to top of note after switching between apps

garumike

Idea

After this last update, I am assuming, my notes auto-reset/scroll back to the top of the note after editing a note. So I can be editing a note halfway through a long note and when I hide the keyboard after edit it shoots the document back up to the top, losing my place in the note. How do I fix this?

• Like 1

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, laffingleigh said:

This needs to be addressed immediately!!

To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion
This request currently has579081013_ScreenShot2020-02-17at10_49_02AM.png.aebd8f6a1c629feb1b0f7d17825d3d97.png votes

>>Here's a video showing the issue. It shows how Apple Notes is doing it right. 

I think your video shows the Evernote session terminated by IOS
The Apple Notes app doesn't get terminated

This is a big problem for me too, and I suspect for anyone who uses evernote to save long instructions or recipes. Let's say I'm building or cooking something and need to glance occasionally at my iphone evernote. each time the screen automatically shuts off to save the battery, when i open the iphone again, the screen is tantalizingly on the old place for a second, then jumps to the top. Then  I then have to scroll through the note to find my place. No, I do not want to leave my iphone on permanently and drain the battery just to avoid this bug.

I agree with the user above, who points out that this is a needed fix, not a "feature" we are requesting. Evernote used to be able to save my place, in fact, it is still saving my place for a second. it is presumably checking to see if I have made an update. But it used to do that and not lose my place.

On 3/24/2016 at 7:06 AM, annah said:

Hi all, just to confirm - this issue should be resolved in 7.12. If anyone else experiences this issue or similar after updating to 7.12, please let me know. Thanks! 

I am just confirming that more than 3 years later, and on version 8.20.369737, this remains an issue.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Since it seems even hard to agree if we are watching a bug-at-work, or an ill defined non feature falling on our use experience, I have moved this thread to the voting section. Here, anybody can put his vote in favor of this, instead of discussing why it is not as it should be.

I myself as a heavy iOS user find a lot of merit in the proposal to remember the last position when a note is closed by any system action.

• Like 1

I’m blown away that this bug still exists in Aug 2019. I’m taking notes at a conference on my iPhone and every few minutes I want to add a note. Of course the phone times out after about 1 minute. I unlock the phone and for about a 1/2 second, the note appears to be ready to use. I start to type but then the app refreshes and my cursor goes away and I have to tap and then scroll down to the bottom. 

Is this actually in the queue to be fixed? I’m a premium subscriber and with Apple’s big update to iOS and reminders etc, it may be time for a change. 

I can confirm that this still is a constant problem on iPhone and iOS 13.

Every time I open a note, scroll to a certain position and then switch to e.g. Safari and then go back to my note to paste some content - my position in the Evernote note is lost and I'm back at the top. This also happens when locking and unlocking the phone. Multitasking (like when doing basic research and saving conclusions) with Evernote of any sort is completely useless on mobile devices.

Remembering the note position is an extremely core feature for muktitasking and it makes me so sad that it's so painful with Evernote.

I'd like to second (or Nnd) this. A persistent and annoying bug for sure.

A lot of my notes are quite long. The very fact that this bug requires all notes to be short limits the usability. Whatever limits the usability cannot be a feature.

Especially considering this was recognized as a bug years ago. Just because it's persistent shouldn't mean that we should all accept it as a feature now.

Yeah this might be the final straw with me for Evernote. I like a lot of thing and have tried so hard to stick with it so I can keep existing sorting , but this is driving me nuts. I want to be able to continue reading something where I left off. That’s not a huge request 😕

• Like 2

Just tried again with latest app version to confirm. It seems that it saves the position for short amounts of time if you put the cursor down in the document and leave the keyboard open.

However, if you just scroll down in the document - without putting down the cursor - and then switch applications, the note still refreshes and resets to top position.

So:

1) If you forget to put down the cursor, your position will be lost when e.g. switching apps

2) If you just want to read a note and don't want to put down the cursor (to avoid bringing up the keyboard and obstructing a lot of your screen), your position will be lost when e.g. switching apps

This issue is not fixed yet.

iOS: Please keep notes from refreshing to the top every time we leave the app. Often I search for an item in a note, find it, then have to leave the app to reference something else. When I come back the app auto refreshes and loses my place requiring another search. 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, spielmanmj said:

iOS: Please keep notes from refreshing to the top every time we leave the app.

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion   
To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

On 6/6/2019 at 6:09 AM, af042 said:

This is a big problem for me too, and I suspect for anyone who uses evernote to save long instructions or recipes. Let's say I'm building or cooking something and need to glance occasionally at my iphone evernote. each time the screen automatically shuts off to save the battery, when i open the iphone again, the screen is tantalizingly on the old place for a second, then jumps to the top. Then  I then have to scroll through the note to find my place. No, I do not want to leave my iphone on permanently and drain the battery just to avoid this bug.

I agree with the user above, who points out that this is a needed fix, not a "feature" we are requesting. Evernote used to be able to save my place, in fact, it is still saving my place for a second. it is presumably checking to see if I have made an update. But it used to do that and not lose my place.

As if a global pandemic wasn’t enough, this is STILL an issue! 6 years later! Evernote, please fix this! 

• Ex Employees

Hi all - we are aware of this issue and hope to have a fix out soon. This isn't intended behavior. It seems to occur in one of two scenarios when at the bottom of a longer note: when checking a checkbox and when hiding the keyboard . I'll update this post when the issue is resolved. Thanks for your patience!

• Like 5

Thanks for the update on the fact that this is apparently now a "feature request" rather than a bug fix. It doesn't seem like fixing something that used to work and then quit working is a "feature request" to me, but maybe it's been long enough that no one currently working on the functionality of the program remember that it was something the software used to do.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Nope.  

And having only 7 votes now means that Evernote could be working on this as a bug (they tend not to share what's going on too well...) but it's importance as a bug or a feature is probably pretty low.  It'll likely get fixed as they finish doing lots of other editor-related things that are taking up their time.

Having only 7 votes means next to nothing. There are millions of Evernote users, while maybe, what, a hundred regular contributors to this forum? Hard to see how the votes in this forum mean anything.

For what its worth, I think this is a terrible bug, and it has greatly changed how I use Evernote. Basically, I've stopped using it to take notes, now it is only an archive. And with a new version on the horizon, I don't expect it to be fixed until that version is released. On iOS bug fixes or improvements have essentially stopped.

This really messes up my cooking!

Seriously, I have a lot of study guides in EN and sometimes I flip back and forth to google for more details in safari and I get that split second view of where I was before it takes me back to the top. If I could just freeze that refresh right then and there. The horror! Ugh

16 hours ago, CalS said:

Well, I started EN to do a quick test on my iPhone and it opened in position in the note I had open last night.  That surprised me a bit since I thought I had closed EN last night.  Any way, pressed the home button and selected safari and browsed about for a bit, at least three minutes, even clipped something to EN.  Hit home button twice, selected EN, and ended up back in the note where I left it.  So it seems to be working for me.  Pixie dust?

Out of interest, are you selecting a link in the EN note to exit EN?  Didn't try that, not sure how that goes.  

Hi CalS, as Jake astutely figured out above, the issue still has problems holding your place when your cursor isn’t active. For me there’s also the annoying spinning wheel when I come back to the document as well that I have to wait for. I see the note for a millisecond, then is disappears while it’s loading. This is despite having the “background refresh” setting toggled on in settings for EN. Thanks for your help and for yours too @Jake567 

On 6/19/2020 at 7:00 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  This may be an indication that iOS is not a totally desktop environment....  what would you prefer that happpened?

I’d prefer that it keep the state of where I left off like other apps do.  

• Like 1

Hi,

Not sure if this is a syncing issue, a sort of half-crash issue, or just a preference question, but over the last week or two Evernote has started acting differently when I shift back to the app, having been in a different app. Instead of opening the note where I was when I shifted to the second app, it opens the note at the beginning. The observed behavior is:
- I shift back to the Evernote app.
-It appears to open the Evernote app where I was.
-There's a brief pause while it looks like the app may be checking for changes.
-Evernote appears to reload the note--which results in the note "refreshing" and resetting to the top.

It doesn't seem to matter what apps I am shifting between, and I believe it sometimes occurs if all that's happened is that my screen has gone to sleep and I have unlock my phone.

This is resulting in a lot of wasted time as I have to scroll back down the note to get to the place I want to be--and just was--in the note. I have tried turning off some syncing for the duration of the time I need to be shifting between apps, thinking this might be a question of Evernote trying to find changes and failing, but either I didn't turn off the right syncing option or the sync behavior is irrelevant to this problem.

I am on the verge of going to pen and paper for my notes and then transferring the written notes to some other collection point so I can avoid this reset behavior. It's wasting my time and is a consistent source of minor annoyance. Anyone have any idea what's going on with this? Is it a preference I haven't found, a sync option I didn't locate, or is it a "feature?"

Tech info:
Evernote version: 7.11.1.
iOS version: 9.2.1
Phone: 5s, plenty of storage & memory available.

Annah, is it the case that "hiding the keyboard" is something that happens automatically in Evernote when alerts pop up (reminders, timers, incoming messages, etc.) or when changing apps? If so, that's what I am guessing might be causing the problem in my case. I very rarely use checkboxes.

Also: "the reset to top" thing happens even in quite short notes, and definitely not just when I am at the bottom of the note.

Looking forward to your update saying this is fixed!

• Ex Employees

Hi all, just to confirm - this issue should be resolved in 7.12. If anyone else experiences this issue or similar after updating to 7.12, please let me know. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Hi there, I'm having exactly this frustrating issue, I have evernote open with other evernote windows side by side so I can copy information across, but regularly it just scrolls up to the top of the post, meaning I lose my place. 

This is almost 1 year since the last post here saying it was fixed. I'm on latest Evernote version which says it is v 6.5.4.4720 (Build 304720).

If there is a fix or preference for this it would be really useful to know. I've gone through the options and doesn't look like there is one. 

Thanks 

Daniel

• Level 5*

Hi

13 hours ago, Kevin54 said:

Me too. Could someone respond to Dreamfactory (above)? I'd like to know the solution, please. Thanks!

@Dreamfactory seems to be using an Android device from that version number,  since Evernote for iOS is currently up to 8.x.  Could you confirm your OS and explain exactly what's happening - are you using multiple windows and copying between them?

Still experiencing this issue. We use Evernote for work so the time it takes to scroll to the bottom of our long list could definitely be used elsewhere. Seems like this issue has been going on for 2 years with no fix. Any hope of light at the end of this tunnel?

I have this issue for sometime and I am essentially ready to leave Evernote, they seem to be unconcerned about this issue and They have definitely not fixed it and it’s the most annoying feature ever, if you’re in the middle of something that’s important to write, like at  an event, and you’re scrambling to add notes and move between notes you have to go to this crazy scrolling all the way back to the bottom 

I’ve been an advocate for Evernote for quite a long time,  but honestly right now I’m searching for ways to migrate my notes out and find a different solution because of this one problem 

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, winningattitude said:

ways to migrate my notes out

Hi - look for another app that offers "import Evernote notes"?

I agree Evernote doesn't support jumping between long notes very well,  but that has never seemed like a major problem to me.  I just avoid long notes and jumping around.

If I'm taking lots of notes about a particular event I tend to take a new note for each 'milestone' - the next speaker,  the next action point - whatever;  and tie multiple notes together with a tag or a common title.  At one event the notes are all pretty much linked by their creation date and times anyway,  but sometimes I want action points or some other topic separate from my own contemporaneous notes.  After the event I can sort in ascending or descending order by Created Date and,  optionally,  tag or title and merge those notes together into one timeline if I wish.

Yes that suits your particular use of Evernote. That’s not my use of Evernote. 

Not everyone has this implementation of Evernote, my implementation is that I make a lot of long notes on a variety of subjects and have to switch between them.

Obviously the issue that I described has no impact on you because that’s not your iteration of how you use the application .

However no one should assume that anyone else’s use of the application is similar to theirs, and therefore some of it does not bother you,  obviously can bother someone else.

I appreciate your response but it’s not a solution to a problem,  it’s within the application, if there’s a problem within the application in this  highly competitive market then Evernote should by now have fix this problem so that they can address the concerns of all of its people, this is a serious problem that needs to be fixed.

The note market has become extremely fierce and many great offerings, why would  Evernote not choose to live by the highest possible standard,  and be competing for the top and best quality in both existing product as well as product roadmap as well as innovation ?

The challenge here is there is a problem when you switch between applications in Evernote that causes a certain range of customers to have a serious problem , that has caused a number of us to reconsider options as it does not help us,  it is a constant point of aggravation.

It’s like saying my front door is broken, but I don’t go out the front door,  go out the back door, so I’m gonna leave the front door broken.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, winningattitude said:

Yes that suits your particular use of Evernote. That’s not my use of Evernote.

I understand your preference,  but the fact is that Evernote isn't set up as you wish it could be,  and even if they did decide to introduce some changes to suit your way of working (which will cost them a considerable amount of development cash),  the changes won't be implemented overnight.  Evernote might agree with you that this is a worthwhile change - but they will have other priorities to deal with. 

If you need your process to work efficiently now,  you'll either need to change your workflow to adapt to what's currently possible,  or find another app from the many great offerings that you mention that does the job the way you want it to be done.

I would suggest you put a coherent summary of your use case into the Feature Request forum here so you can get an accurate view of how many other users would support it - the better your support,  the more likely that the company will implement some changes.

Thank you

Thank you

I do find your answer really strange and odd to be frnak. this problem  has existed now for quite a few years, this is impacting a number of users significantly ,  in over three years is not sufficient time for them to do a little engineering change to make this work ?

I have checked out quite a few other note taking apps and none of them have this behaviour .

No I will not be changing my working style to adjust a company that is no longer competing at the highest level .

As per my original post I’m searching for new ways out, part of me was hoping Evernote would read this and go, you know what we’ve never fix this problem let’s fix it 

Any company in the marketplace today has to be competing constantly at the highest possible level, this is an unacceptable thing on behalf of Evernote, you should not be justifying it 

We are in the marketplace where Choice is in focus, and when you have this type of market place each person has to make sure that they’re in tiptop condition and highly responsive 

I am in the process of trying to find my way out of Evernote, if they fix it in between I’ll be staying with evernote

It would appear there are many users over the past few years with my situation, I’m highly surprised they have not fixed this 

Unfortunately the name of the game today is Innovate or die 

7 minutes ago, winningattitude said:

I failed to add the comment that this is not a feature request this is a bug, it’s a flaw,  they have known about it for years,  this is something that requires fixing,  not something you add to a product roadmap or  a feature  roadmap 

• Level 5*

Evernote have known about thousands of improved features that different users would like to have implemented,  from text styles and colours to better tables and lists,  reminders and note-linking.  They're probably working their way through a list of the ones that seem most important to them.  No way to tell whether or where your 'long notes' processes are on the list... 

The way to make sure they're listed and move them up the priority chain is to get other users behind you.

LOL 🙂

this is not a feature request,  this is a bug that’s been around for years, it’s not a feature request, is not about priority it’s about a known problem that needs to be fixed 

I assume you know the difference between a feature in a virus or a bug 🙂

you are not providing any solution so please assist in answering my comments thank you ,  so someone who might know how to fix this can answer or perhaps Evernote Upload sells been decide to answer 

Part of the The purpose of the forums is to get answers to known problems,  you’re not providing an answer sonif could please make room for someone else to make an answer thank you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes it's been identified as a bug already, they already said they sent a fix in an update a couple of years ago,. It is not an intentional design flaw, it is one of those things called a bug and it seems some folks do not know the difference between them apparently. / :-)

App designers do not plan for or design bugs, your post indicates that the app does "whatever the designers planned for. " So they planned for  bug? LOL. I don't think so. The  bugs are their pets :-)

Evernote! Rescue me from the forums!! I need a real answer! Better yet, please issue a fix :-).

Its been a waste of time and typing in here, not sure why I came in, hoping for real answers rather than people confusing bugs with features, and engineers planned the bugs as pets because they like to frustrate customers. :-) LOL!!! 

Anyone with an actual solutions? vs confusion on bugs and with features, and engineers who design bugs to frustrate customers? Sort of sounds counter-intuitive I would think. :-)

Weirdly, after several years of being broken, an update or two ago the note started remembering its place again. Based on what I'm reading here, it sounds like that's definitely not the case for everyone. So I suppose the question now is: is the fact that it's remembering the bug, or was the fact that it wasn't remembering the bug? Because we have inconsistent behavior. . . .

• Level 5*

...A very British example,  but if you're using a hammer to stir your tea and find that the cup keeps breaking...  try using a spoon.  Just saying.  Evernote is great at what it does,  but where it isn't - maybe try something else?

• Level 5*
On 9/3/2019 at 4:00 PM, maxindigo said:

HELP - IS THERE A WAY AROUND THIS PROBLEM?  Every time I switch apps I lose my place in my note and have to scroll way, way down to find my place.  This is awful - I have notes that are very, very long.  

Is there no way that you can split your very long notes into (much) shorter sections? 

With a keyboard shortcut to add dates and expand abbreviations you can create a new note on any given subject quickly,  adding the date and time as YYYYMMDD HHMM as a prefix.  Sort your notes on "YYYYMMDD HHMM motorcycle maintenance" into title order and you have one long document into which you can jump at any point.  Extra keywords in the title help, so you can find "...fuel tank" when you need to. 

Merge all the notes together if you need to print a document,  or just create a table of contents note as an index.

How to create a table of contents with links to other notes

On 6/7/2019 at 11:55 AM, istarninwa said:

A lot of my notes are quite long. The very fact that this bug requires all notes to be short limits the usability. Whatever limits the usability cannot be a feature. Especially considering this was recognized as a bug years ago. Just because it's persistent shouldn't mean that we should all accept it as a feature now.

Thanks to @gazumped for advice; it really does look like you're trying to help. However, I would like to reiterate the above. What you're proposing is a workaround to a lacking feature (at best -- a bug at worst).

To pitch in with my workaround: I switched completely over to Google Docs a few months ago. Because I like my notes to be long and have complex cross-references within those notes, Docs seems to be much more suitable. With a much richer array of formatting features (formulas, color schemes, etc.), I think I'm sticking to it. I can create bookmarks anywhere in a document and use a link to that bookmark anywhere in that -- or another -- document.

[P.S.: This wasn't the only issue I had with Evernote. The final straw was it losing days of progress in a (long) note due to a synchronization failure, and discovering that in order to restore it, I needed to be paying more for my Evernote subscription than I already was.]

• Level 5*
On 9/3/2019 at 8:00 AM, maxindigo said:

HELP - IS THERE A WAY AROUND THIS PROBLEM?  Every time I switch apps I lose my place in my note

Using split screen maintains your Evernote process  (edit;  iPad feature)

On 2/29/2016 at 6:37 PM, annah said:

Hi all - we are aware of this issue and hope to have a fix out soon. This isn't intended behavior. It seems to occur in one of two scenarios when at the bottom of a longer note: when checking a checkbox and when hiding the keyboard . I'll update this post when the issue is resolved. Thanks for your patience!

We are 3 years away and this issue still exist? I cannot believe this.. I was using evernote on my phone for a recipe while cooking, after ten minutes I was ready to throw my phone out of the window, as I had to scroll down back to the right place in the recipe every time I wanted to look at it again.

• Level 5*
On 11/29/2019 at 3:18 PM, drizzleshard said:

And on your phone?

If I had a phone, I'd use  it for phone service  
I run Evernote on an iPad and Mac

I realize split screen only works on an iPad and should have indicated on my post

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

I am waiting to get split screen with 2 EN sessions open on my iPad. Would be very nice, one session for note taking, one to look up older notes for reference at the same time.

Currently the inability of EN to run 2 sessions at once reduces the utilization of split screen with EN on the iPad. And then we are back to the issue, that the position is lost when you leave the note you have been working in.

Yes switching back and forth from Evernote to another app is super annoying.  Evernote app loses my initial position and resets to the top.  This feature hasn't been resolved for many many years.  Does anyone have suggestions on an alternative to Evernote?  

On iOS, if I have a note open and then I switch away to another app and come back again, my original note has been closed. So I have to find it and open it again. This is intermittent - it doesn't happen every time.

It makes the app very difficult to use, particularly if I am trying to quickly take notes in a meeting. I can't keep asking people to pause while I get my note open again!

(I'm on latest iOS version: 13.3.).

How is it 2020 and this is still an issue? 
it’s making Evernote unusable for me. I often refer to my recipes in Evernote and I don’t remember it doing this but now every time my phone locks, it jumps back to the top of the note which is tedious and time wasting. 
it’s annoying all the time but that’s the most annoying—when I just need to double  check a measurement or temp and have to scrollllllllll back to where I just was. 

this is clearly not a feature request since it didn’t seem to do it before. 

im experiencing this issue on an iPhone XS, iOS 13.3 (the most recent available) and Evernote 8.24.3.370473 (also the most recent available according to the App Store). I’m a premium user and have been for years but this janky issue (among others) has me looking to switch. 

I used to love Evernote and recommended to everyone. If this issue persists (and it looks like it will seeing as this is as old as at least 2016) I won’t be recommending it anymore and I sure won’t be paying for it. 

Hi all. 

Just adding my voice to the incredulous ones above. It IS 2020 and this IS still an issue. Running Evernote v 8.24.3 on an iPad Pro iOS 13.3. And this happens to me every time. \

The only reason I’m still sticking to Evernote is because I use a  lot of video clips in my notes and no other decent note-taking app seems to support that.

In fact, if anyone has any suggestions for alternate apps that let you embed videos, please do let me know. This seems to be a deal-breaker for me.  

Bump. I don't understand why this "feature" is still a thing, nor why it only has 6 votes. Is this not driving everyone nuts?

I'm using Bear to make notes, then copying them to Evernote for archive, since whenever I go back to EN on iOS it reverts to the top of the note I was looking at. This isn't healthy behaviour! Please fix ASAP.

• Level 5*

I have an Android phone and tablet,  but tend not to use Evernote for note taking (or writing) that's going to take a while unless I'm on a desktop.  At many offsite locations there's too much risk of dropped network connections (or expiring batteries) messing things up. 

There are many alternative note-taking options out there that are not subject to having internet access - from the eraseable notebooks that will record handwriting and in some cases upload text to the web,  to paper conversion apps like https://www.scribzee.com/en  that allow you to write in a physical notebook and OCR it to Evernote later.  I've used a spiral bound reporters notebook and a pencil on occasion,  but mostly I use a random sheet of paper and write up the details later.

I find that making detailed notes during any kind of meeting or conversation keeps me on the sidelines - I'm an observer,  not a participant.  If you're a designated note-taker that's fine - it's part of the job.  If you're supposed to be contributing to the meeting,  you have to multi-task,  and that's usually counter-productive. 

Better to make rough notes as you go so that numbers and addresses are correct,  but to leave writing a beautifully detailed report 'till later.

So: 

On 1/12/2020 at 11:37 AM, skosh said:

Is this not driving everyone nuts?

Nope.  

And having only 7 votes now means that Evernote could be working on this as a bug (they tend not to share what's going on too well...) but it's importance as a bug or a feature is probably pretty low.  It'll likely get fixed as they finish doing lots of other editor-related things that are taking up their time.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, ObviousBob said:

with a new version on the horizon, I don't expect it to be fixed until that version is released

If you're talking Evernote versions I'd agree with you on this - they're piloting something on the web that seems likely to get cascaded out to everything else,  but going by the videos released so far it's a major project with the problem that you can't deliver bits and pieces;  when we get a new Evernote version it will be a shiny new set of (we hope complete) features all in one package.

As to 7 votes meaning nothing - some other requests (that are also on hold) have 400 or more so this one is not something that most people feel super-strongly about - and Evernote get lots of feedback from surveys and social media which -along with this forum- informs their priorities. 

I also switched to Apple Notes and a couple of other apps because of this long-standing Evernote glitch/bug—however you want to classify it. My high frustration level with the page reset issue caused me to seek alternative solutions for things I used Evernote for, so it’s now only rarely used for accessing historical information. 

On 1/14/2020 at 1:15 AM, gazumped said:

I have an Android phone and tablet,  but tend not to use Evernote for note taking (or writing) that's going to take a while unless I'm on a desktop.  At many offsite locations there's too much risk of dropped network connections (or expiring batteries) messing things up. 

There are many alternative note-taking options out there that are not subject to having internet access - from the eraseable notebooks that will record handwriting and in some cases upload text to the web,  to paper conversion apps like https://www.scribzee.com/en  that allow you to write in a physical notebook and OCR it to Evernote later.  I've used a spiral bound reporters notebook and a pencil on occasion,  but mostly I use a random sheet of paper and write up the details later.

I find that making detailed notes during any kind of meeting or conversation keeps me on the sidelines - I'm an observer,  not a participant.  If you're a designated note-taker that's fine - it's part of the job.  If you're supposed to be contributing to the meeting,  you have to multi-task,  and that's usually counter-productive. 

Better to make rough notes as you go so that numbers and addresses are correct,  but to leave writing a beautifully detailed report 'till later.

Nice life story, bro... How is *any* of this relevant to the subject in question, namely: that the notes reset to the top after switching to a different app or a lock screen?

One doesn't have to be editing a note to experience this problem. Heck, you don't even need to be using a mobile version: this happens on the desktop as well -- you switch between notes, and your place in the previous note is reset to the top.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:15 AM, gazumped said:
On 1/12/2020 at 7:37 PM, skosh said:

Is this not driving everyone nuts?

Nope.  

Ah, therein lies the objective.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, istarninwa said:

Ah, therein lies the objective.

Nope

On 1/13/2020 at 5:15 PM, gazumped said:

It'll likely get fixed as they finish doing lots of other editor-related things that are taking up their time.

and

On 1/13/2020 at 8:15 PM, gazumped said:

they're piloting something on the web that seems likely to get cascaded out to everything else,

was actually wherein the objective lay...

chiming in here... this is a REALLY annoying bug, especially for me on the ipad where i am trying to get work done with an external keyboard and this drives me crazy every time i switch from evernote to another app to look something up/copy & paste/whatever. gmail does the same thing and this makes both of these critical apps so painful to use. please fix. been a premium subscriber for years but this is just basic, critical stuff...

Just to add to the previous posts by laffingleigh, saving the note position works in many other apps even though it doesn't work in Evernote. One example of an app that keeps the note position in long documents is Notion. Conclusion? It shouldn't be an iOS limitation.

13 hours ago, laffingleigh said:

This needs to be addressed immediately!!

Keep in mind that updates to the current iOS version of Evernote have pretty much come to a halt. Don't expect this to be fixed until the "new" version of Evernote is available. 

On 1/13/2020 at 12:26 PM, ObviousBob said:

Having only 7 votes means next to nothing. There are millions of Evernote users, while maybe, what, a hundred regular contributors to this forum? Hard to see how the votes in this forum mean anything.

For what its worth, I think this is a terrible bug, and it has greatly changed how I use Evernote. Basically, I've stopped using it to take notes, now it is only an archive. And with a new version on the horizon, I don't expect it to be fixed until that version is released. On iOS bug fixes or improvements have essentially stopped.

I have iPhone SE 13.3.1  Same issue w cursor resetting to top of open note when switching back fr other app or screen being off. 

I’ve used Evernote for years. But can no longer put up with this. I’m not a power user, nor need 1/1000 of embedded features like vast collaboration, delegating, hi-test search capability, ....

So, migrating all my simple user data over to Apple Notes which so far seems to do everything I need plus has capability of both adding tags AND creating nested folders. 

Oh well... at least I can stop paying for Premium version 

The Evernote dev team does one thing consistently well: it lets user requests and complaints persist for years without ever addressing them. Well done! Turns out that half-assed is half a cheek too much in Evernote’s management team.

I was thankful to find this discussion, as I’ve had an issue with this for years now. I’m deeply imbedded in the Evernote ecosystem, unfortunately, as it was marketed to me as a place to keep reference information. This persistent issue is so annoying though, that after 10 years of an Evernote paid subscription, I’ve about had it. Especially seeing how long this issue has persisted without a fix.

Here’s my experience:

When I reference a note, or even create a reference note and then switch apps to read/copy/paste/type information, (a very typical user behavior in my opinion) I get the annoying skip/jump back to the top of the note after having to first wait for a refresh of said note.

This totally destroys the usability of Evernote and ruins the experience. I’ll give another use case that others have mentioned, but from my perspective; cooking.

When I pull up a recipe, (a well known and documented use of Evernote by the company themselves) I do so with a search. Firstly, if you click on the auto complete result which Evernote is smartly and intuitively suggesting, you’re taken to said result. If you click on that suggested result before hitting return, it’s only a temporary result. Meaning I say “oh cool, there’s the recipe I need!” Then if my phone locks or I switch apps for any reason, say even getting a phone call, the note is kicked out and I have to search again.

However, if I just hit return on the few letters I’d started to type of a search, clicking on any of those results will provide a list of results that when clicking, remain open after an app switch. Now though, the note does the craziness of refreshing and jumping to a different place (most often all the way at the beginning) in the document before I can view it again.

Losing my place in the recipe I was reading is very annoying, as is waiting in the refresh to read it again. Yes it’s quick, but when your making a meal, it’s often just that quick look to see if it was a 1/2 cup of flour or a 1/4 cup.

I hope this adds further input into the issue and Evernote is actually reading this. I’m on an iPhone Xs running iOS 13.3.1 and my Evernote is up to date as of this comment on 3/24/20. 

p.s. I just had to leave this screen to double check the date and then come back to type it in and this Safari browser window didn’t have to refresh, or jump to the top of the document, forcing me to wait and then scroll down to where I was at typing this comment. If it would have been the Evernote App, it would have done that to me. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bryan Black said:

I’ve about had it. Especially seeing how long this issue has persisted without a fix.

Hi.  Sympathies that this particular 'feature' of Evernote's current operation is a major issue for you,  but as I posted 2-3 months ago Evernote is in process of reinventing the app across all clients.  The most recent Web client is a precursor to behaviours being introduced across their account. The ongoing work means they can't step back and fix the 'old' editor while working on introducing a new version: so short term nothing much is going to change.  Longer term we'll have to wait and see.  What we as users need to do in the meantime is up to us.  Stick it out if you can - look elsewhere if you can't.

29 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Sympathies that this particular 'feature' of Evernote's current operation is a major issue for you,  but as I posted 2-3 months ago Evernote is in process of reinventing the app across all clients.  The most recent Web client is a precursor to behaviours being introduced across their account. The ongoing work means they can't step back and fix the 'old' editor while working on introducing a new version: so short term nothing much is going to change.  Longer term we'll have to wait and see.  What we as users need to do in the meantime is up to us.  Stick it out if you can - look elsewhere if you can't.

Thanks for your reply, I completely understand how they may be taking the position of waiting for the new release that I'm sure they're pouring a ton of resources into. I would hope there would still be room to address issues like this without having to wait, being that I can't see a way they couldn't also still develop (so to speak) for the existing platform.

I'm too embedded to switch and really don't want to tackle the headache of a new system and porting everything over, so I do hope there's a solution on the horizon with their new version.

Can you explain a bit more what you mean by "The most recent Web client is a precursor to behaviors being introduced across their account" do you mean it worked correctly before Evernote suspended development on the current editor and then operating systems or clients were updated and it broke the fix Evernote had in place already?

Thanks again,
Bryan

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Bryan Black said:

Can you explain a bit more

If you play with the latest web version for a while you should notice that it has a different layout;  the search feature will suggest options as you type to help you find what you need and there are various other tweaks that might be helpful.  See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209006027-What-s-new-in-Evernote-Web for more on that... 

The intention - as we currently understand it is that the web version will be developed into a common interface for all Evernote's apps and clients.

As to continuing to fix the old version,  that's an investment of unknown time and effort into something like Microsoft fixing bugs in Windows 7...

Thanks for the additional info, I'll check out the newest web version. I understand your point with the potential investment Evernote would need to make in resources to get the fix implemented, but the trade-off is more of this kind of thing happening and disenfranchising their long-time customers.

I appreciate your time in following up with me on all this,

Bryan

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Bryan Black said:

Thanks for the additional info, I'll check out the newest web version.

Full disclosure, there are some features not yet implemented in the newest version and a few more bugs than in the previous (current) version.  If they don't impact you it should be great.

On 3/24/2020 at 8:26 AM, gazumped said:

What’s the ETA for an updated iOS version?

• Level 5*
On 3/28/2020 at 3:46 PM, dwj314 said:

What’s the ETA for an updated iOS version?

One just came out in the last week.  Seems to have fixed the issue best I can tell. If your app hasn't updated yet you can search for Evernote on the app store and force the update.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CalS said:

One just came out in the last week.  Seems to have fixed the issue best I can tell. If your app hasn't updated yet you can search for Evernote on the app store and force the update.

The issue still persists for me. I made sure I’d updated to 8.24.4 and did both a power on/off and a reset to my iPhone running iOS 13.4 (most current version as of this comment)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Bryan Black said:

The issue still persists for me. I made sure I’d updated to 8.24.4 and did both a power on/off and a reset to my iPhone running iOS 13.4 (most current version as of this comment)

Same versions for me and it appears to be returning to the same spot in EN after I switch to a different app.  

What are your exact steps to see if I can replicate, if you want. 

14 hours ago, CalS said:

Same versions for me and it appears to be returning to the same spot in EN after I switch to a different app.  

What are your exact steps to see if I can replicate, if you want. 

Hi CalS, thanks for your willingness to help. I do now see that my cursor is staying in the right place within a document (so far), however the refresh is still taking place each time I come back to the note after switching to another app for more than a few seconds. Are you seeing this too?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bryan Black said:

Hi CalS, thanks for your willingness to help. I do now see that my cursor is staying in the right place within a document (so far), however the refresh is still taking place each time I come back to the note after switching to another app for more than a few seconds. Are you seeing this too?

Well, I started EN to do a quick test on my iPhone and it opened in position in the note I had open last night.  That surprised me a bit since I thought I had closed EN last night.  Any way, pressed the home button and selected safari and browsed about for a bit, at least three minutes, even clipped something to EN.  Hit home button twice, selected EN, and ended up back in the note where I left it.  So it seems to be working for me.  Pixie dust?

Out of interest, are you selecting a link in the EN note to exit EN?  Didn't try that, not sure how that goes.  

On 4/1/2020 at 6:45 AM, Jake567 said:

Just tried again with latest app version to confirm. It seems that it saves the position for short amounts of time if you put the cursor down in the document and leave the keyboard open.

However, if you just scroll down in the document - without putting down the cursor - and then switch applications, the note still refreshes and resets to top position.

So:

1) If you forget to put down the cursor, your position will be lost when e.g. switching apps

2) If you just want to read a note and don't want to put down the cursor (to avoid bringing up the keyboard and obstructing a lot of your screen), your position will be lost when e.g. switching apps

This issue is not fixed yet.

Thanks for a useful update, Jake.

As you say, still not fixed - and on IOS it's even more of a problem than pc.

Please please fix this bug!

• Like 1

Same. I'm starting to hate it too after many years of using it. I need it to stop resetting to the top of the note.

And.

I need to be able to collapse sections within a note. Please help! June 2020.

I admit I have not read every single response to this issue. So I apologize if this is already been stated.

The problem that I have in addition to the original problem is that when I’m in a note especially a note that has a PDF attachment... When I switch from Evernote to Safari to look something up (example of a book that I might be interested in from the footnote in the PDF article)... The note doesn’t just jump to the top it completely closes and I have to research for it. This is extremely frustrating.

And I agree with everybody else why hasn’t this been fixed.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, museumgirlknitz said:

when I’m in a note especially a note that has a PDF attachment... (edited out) The note doesn’t just jump to the top it completely closes...

Hi.  This may be an indication that iOS is not a totally desktop environment....  what would you prefer that happpened?

12 hours ago, gazumped said:

I guess so. I use the iPhone app a lot - especially when I’m cooking and using a recipe I saved. Or when I’m shopping online or researching something to buy. I flip back and forth between Evernote and Safari. When Evernote takes me back to the search screen, it Is just annoying. 

Also when I’m annotating a article for a research project, if I stay in the annotation function the whole time it’s fine. But if I save my annotations, it takes me back to the top or to the note page and I have to reopen the PDF. A lot of times when I’m reading an article for research I go to Safari to look up a source or Clip something related to the article.

I just do so much of this usual desktop work on my mobile devices now.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Jrun said:

As if a global pandemic wasn’t enough, this is STILL an issue! 6 years later! Evernote, please fix this! 

Problems of equivalent significance for sure.

• Like 1
On 2/27/2016 at 2:50 PM, garumike said:

After this last update, I am assuming, my notes auto-reset/scroll back to the top of the note after editing a note. So I can be editing a note halfway through a long note and when I hide the keyboard after edit it shoots the document back up to the top, losing my place in the note. How do I fix this?

this is now July 2020.

The problem of resetting to top of a note after switching iOS to different app and then back to evernote is STILL here.

The problem is real, as comments indicate. I personally experience this on iOS 13.4.1 with evernote 8.24.6.370571. And I watched this problem over last few years not fixed after every upgrade.

And the problem is a productivity killer. 

And evernote is marketed as a productivity tool!

How come the problem is not fixed?

But wait for it...

On Mac the current app does NOT have this issue.

But the new Beta version seem to work exactly the same on Mac as on iOS! 

It resets the notes back to top.

I suspect this is due to choice of underlying architecture to implement the UI. It probably was more 'efficient'. Some kind of HTML based framework which does not remember the state. Easier for devs to keep maintaining and porting to other platforms. But HORRIBLE for rich user experience!

So we may get this 'behaviour' on Mac soon.

Would anyone be upset about this?

How can we make evernote to prioritise this to be fixed on iOS and NOT happen on Mac?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Matei Corvin said:

How can we make evernote to prioritise this to be fixed on iOS and NOT happen on Mac?

"Make" ?

1 minute ago, Bryan Black said:

Maybe we can keep commenting to make this thread more visible? Hey Evernote, Can you hear us now? 

I may have mentioned before...  this is a (mainly) user-supported Forum.  Any noise you make here is just in this hen house.  Evernote will take note,  but they're not obliged to leap into action immediately... or at all...  unless it fits in with their plans and priorities.