Removing format from text

Naegele

Idea

Currently when you copy and past content from a website or another application it keeps the text format (font, size, color and background color) 

In Evernote there is only one way to remove the format for the original content is to hight it and go to the format menu and make plain text.

This is really not hard to do but I see your forms littered with post called "How to remove color background from text", and there needs to be a more intuitive way to fix the format from text that you past into your note.

I would recommend one of or both of these 2 solutions

1) Allow to past to match format like in most word processing programs like Word wand Google Doc's.

2) Put a button on the Evernote tool bar that is to remove formatting from text or match it to the format of the text currently set in the note.

This might seem small but I believe is a current pain point inside Evernote for a large amount of your clients.

Thanks in advance

Naegele

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Naegele said:

1) Allow to past to match format like in most word processing programs like Word wand Google Doc's

That is available now, using the standard Mac shortcut for Paste and Match Style:  SHIFT-OPT-CMD-V

Also from the menu:  Edit > Paste & Match Style,  and SHIFT-CMD-V

On February 26, 2016 at 9:50 PM, Naegele said:

Currently when you copy and past content from a website or another application it keeps the text format (font, size, color and background color) 

In Evernote there is only one way to remove the format for the original content is to hight it and go to the format menu and make plain text.

This is really not hard to do but I see your forms littered with post called "How to remove color background from text", and there needs to be a more intuitive way to fix the format from text that you past into your note.

I would recommend one of or both of these 2 solutions

1) Allow to past to match format like in most word processing programs like Word wand Google Doc's.

2) Put a button on the Evernote tool bar that is to remove formatting from text or match it to the format of the text currently set in the note.

This might seem small but I believe is a current pain point inside Evernote for a large amount of your clients.

Thanks in advance

Naegele

On the Mac it's super simple. There's a shortcut key for formatting. I think it's command control F.

I also think that having useful icons would be good. If it was done right. 

This would be helpful in so many situations.  I'm even reluctant to add content clipped from the Web to my notes, because it can carry so much heavy formatting.

In MacOS, there's a simple way to paste unformatted, text:  shift + option + command + v

That sometimes helps.  But it loses ALL formatting so, if there's a table or list, they become an unformatted block of text.

Three possible features would solve this:

1. paste and match like in word, as described by the OP

2. Make "simple" text, instead of plain text (keep tables, lists, divs, but strip color, font, images, anything else). There are a set of text 'structures' that are not formatting - similar to wiki text.  When you edit a wiki you specify lists, tables, and other structures, but the formatting is defined by the template.

3. allow toggle of individual formatting, but this is already complex with the existing formatting toggles, so this would only get more cluttered, and you may have to click 4 or 5 of them.

Archived