can see preview of pdf but not visible in main body

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, todd1611 said:

I can see a preview of the note I need in snippet view, but the note is not visible in or accessible from the main viewing screen. I'm having the same issue trying to access it online. Windows 8.1 Thank you.

I would try to detach it (export) from Evernote and use Acrobat to view it.  
If that fails, I think you're out of luck.
I haven't seen Evernote corrupting attachments. but there's aways a first time.  Possibly go to the note history or backups to see if there is a valid version of the pdf.

Fortunately I had a copy someplace else, but it is a little disconcerting to lose a copy of a note that I thought I had - the one I needed. How long do you keep backups of scanned images? Because I usually delete them from my external hard drive after I've titled and tagged the note. I keep a copy of a current EXB. file saved on an external hard drive. Thanks, Todd

• Level 5*

Hi.  I had a confusing situation like this recently - double-clicking on the note title (which wasn't the file name) would display the content,  although the note appeared completely empty - but the note was still 4MB in total...  Odd.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, todd1611 said:

Fortunately I had a copy someplace else, but it is a little disconcerting to lose a copy of a note that I thought I had - the one I needed. How long do you keep backups of scanned images? Because I usually delete them from my external hard drive after I've titled and tagged the note. I keep a copy of a current EXB. file saved on an external hard drive. Thanks, Todd

I also delete scanned images immediately after loading into EN.  If you are a premium EN user you can use the history function to see if an older version of the note contains the PDF.  I think it is easier to restore a note if you keep ENEX backups, search the forum and you will find many threads on backup/restore.

27 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  I had a confusing situation like this recently - double-clicking on the note title (which wasn't the file name) would display the content,  although the note appeared completely empty - but the note was still 4MB in total...  Odd.

Yeah, I've had this before.  Fix for me was to right click in the note, use the Save Attachments option, and then add it back into the note.  Clueless as to why the attachment disappeared in the note view in the first place though.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, todd1611 said:

How long do you keep backups of scanned images?

Glad you got it worked out.

I'm on a Mac with automatic backups controlled by the Time Machine app.  Its very extensive.   it automatically makes hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for all previous months. The oldest backups are deleted when your backup drive is full.
Left up to me, it would be slightly less complete.
I keep my scans and delete them at the day - this allows them to enter the backup process,
Likewise it covers my Evenote database files, and my export files (ENEX and HTML)

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, todd1611 said:

I can see a preview of the note I need in snippet view, but the note is not visible in or accessible from the main viewing screen

Please submit a formal bug report on this.  I have seen similar issues reported elsewhere, and there are other users in this thread with similar issues.  Data integrity is, and has to be, top priority.  When you fill out the support form, choose "Data Loss" as the ticket type, and then in the the subject/title, you might put something like "BUG:  Data Loss of PDF Attachment".

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

@gazumped and @csihilling:  I hope you guys will also submit a bug/data loss report if you have not already.

Archived