Evernote for iOS 7.11 (& 7.11.1) Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

2/25/16 Update: We released Evernote for iOS 7.11.1 today to address a spike in app crashes.

Hi all,

We released Evernote for iOS 7.11 earlier today.

This release contains Clipper improvements, sync improvements, additional note editing keyboard shortcuts, 1Password integration, and lots of bug fixes.

Notable fixes and improvements:

• Clipper improvements
    • Faster, more reliable clipping
    • Ability to add tags during clipping
  • Keyboard shortcuts for note editing
    • Text formatting shortcuts plus To dos, bulleted, and numbered lists
    • Insert date and insert time shortcuts
    • Hold down the ⌘ key to expose available shortcuts
  • 1Password integration
  • Improved sync performance
  • VoiceOver improvements
    • Fixed a few issues on home screen and note lists
    • More improvements coming soon
  • Added right angle snap to shape to sketching
  • Fixed crash when tapping on the note overflow button
  • Fixed issue where the top of note lists or reminders were getting hidden behind the navigation bar
  • Fixed issue where PIN entry was blocked by the keyboard
  • Fixed issue where business card notes lacked some functionality when opened from the app home screen
  • Fixed issue where torch turned off after first document capture

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

36 replies to this idea

Please please please can you resolve the issue that you have introduced in this version regarding checklists.

As pointed out in a previous reply, unchecking/checking a checklist item resets the position of the note right to the top. It makes the entire app unusable for me.

• Level 5
11 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Hi there,

With respect to clipping on the IOS app, is it possible to just clip the title and URL of a webpage, instead of the whole page?

What I'm trying to do is similar to the "bookmark" option on the EN web clipper.

I use EN for my bookmarks so this is something that would be very useful for me, clipping just the title and URL and possibly a snippet of text from the page.

--

Wolf

Hi Wolf,

This is not currently doable in the latest version of Evernote. You can post as a separate topic in this forum if you'd like to get others' feedback and allow people to vote it up.

For Plus / Premium users, you can send Title and URL as an email into Evernote by tapping the share button within Safari, choose Mail, and send the email to your Evernote address (found in Settings > General > Evernote Email Address).

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Jeff Brown said:

Ability to add tags during clipping

Great idea, bad implementation. I've been asking for this ability for a while now.  But why not implement it the same way as it is in the app? I tap the tag area and then start typing the tag I want. This makes perfect sense. But the way you have implemented it in the clipping/share sheet is terrible. I have to scroll through a list of all my tags. Not the best way to do this.  Maybe this is a limitation of the share sheet and if so then so be it. I think it could be better.

Hi Jeff,

To reduce the scrolling effort, you can tap on the index control on the far right of the tag list to scroll to a certain letter faster.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5

Hi all,

Please note that we released version 7.11.1 earlier today to address a frequent crash issue. We'll keep this thread for both 7.11 & 7.11.1, but I encourage you to upgrade to the latest version.

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, cifip said:

For Plus / Premium users, you can send Title and URL as an email into Evernote by tapping the share button within Safari, choose Mail, and send the email to your Evernote address (found in Settings > General > Evernote Email Address).

Works like a charm.

ScreenClip.png.546394a2b9e14e563827c660c+

27 minutes ago, cifip said:

Please note that we released version 7.11.1 earlier today to address a frequent crash issue. We'll keep this thread for both 7.11 & 7.11.1, but I encourage you to upgrade to the latest version.

And I thought it was just me.  Thanks.

Something that has been an issue with the latest updates for me is the camera function. When I try to use the camera to insert a picture in a note, it automatically kicks the new picture down to the bottom of the note. This means I have to manually place any new photos in my notes. I use Evernote to keep portfolios of student work in chronological order, and this bug is a major inconvenience! I've lived with the camera crashing the app on occasion, but this could be a deal breaker for me, as eliminates the streamlined process of organizing student work.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Teacher Dave said:

Something that has been an issue with the latest updates for me is the camera function. When I try to use the camera to insert a picture in a note, it automatically kicks the new picture down to the bottom of the note. This means I have to manually place any new photos in my notes. I use Evernote to keep portfolios of student work in chronological order, and this bug is a major inconvenience! I've lived with the camera crashing the app on occasion, but this could be a deal breaker for me, as eliminates the streamlined process of organizing student work.

Hi,

Ouch - I can feel the productivity hit. We're looking into this, and we'll get it fixed. Very sorry for the inconvenience.

-Chuck

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Teacher Dave said:

Something that has been an issue with the latest updates for me is the camera function. When I try to use the camera to insert a picture in a note, it automatically kicks the new picture down to the bottom of the note. This means I have to manually place any new photos in my notes.

What he said - same problem - and it's so much fun moving pictures on the iPad 

Hi there,

With respect to clipping on the IOS app, is it possible to just clip the title and URL of a webpage, instead of the whole page?

What I'm trying to do is similar to the "bookmark" option on the EN web clipper.

I use EN for my bookmarks so this is something that would be very useful for me, clipping just the title and URL and possibly a snippet of text from the page.

--

Wolf

I have posted this with the beta app, but have received not response.  When I use the search box at the top of the sidebar, EN doesn't complete the search, instead locking up and requiring me to end the app process (up swipe) and relaunch. The search completes after about the fourth/fifth attempt at this process. 

Jay

• Level 5
On March 19, 2016 at 7:28 PM, JayF said:

I have posted this with the beta app, but have received not response.  When I use the search box at the top of the sidebar, EN doesn't complete the search, instead locking up and requiring me to end the app process (up swipe) and relaunch. The search completes after about the fourth/fifth attempt at this process. 

Jay

Hi Jay,

If you're experiencing this on the beta version and app store version, there is likely something in your account that is amiss. Can you please file a support ticket and include your activity logs?

Thanks,
Chuck

16 minutes ago, Arkitekt said:

Hi. I am not seeing date and time stamps in the shortcut menu on my iPad. What am i missing?

Nothing. It's because they've still not done it - only keyboard shortcuts. Who uses a keyboard within iPad / iPhone? Come on Evernote - make us happy, before we leave.

2 minutes ago, RJG said:

Nothing. It's because they've still not done it - only keyboard shortcuts. Who uses a keyboard within iPad / iPhone? Come on Evernote - make us happy, before we leave.

I had a windows based HP / Compaq iPAQ 10-15 years ago. That could do time and date stamp in notes then! 

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

For the current options, see https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/216788038-Keyboard-Shortcuts-for-iPad-iPhone-and-iPod-Touch

I'm not seeing an option for date/time stamps

Ok, so the release notes are incorrect then. Thanks for letting me know. Hope this is included in a near update. Looked into TextExpander for this, but it is not supported by EN (yet?)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, tonycspc said:

Hi - where is the palm rejection or palm rest for inking?   how is the ability to auto correct a right angle more important than the actual ability to write comfortably on the ipad?   Hello?  Help?  What?  sigh.... 

For me, it is a tissue under my palm.  Seems to work well.

@cifip - Great. - - - The ability to enter date and time with keyboard shortcuts is going to make a lot of people happy.

I thought I knew a lot about Evernote iOS. So, this question is likely to embarrass me, but where is the key?

It needs to be obvious on the Note Editing screen.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Analyst444 said:

@cifip - Great. - - - The ability to enter date and time with keyboard shortcuts is going to make a lot of people happy.

I thought I knew a lot about Evernote iOS. So, this question is likely to embarrass me, but where is the key?

It needs to be obvious on the Note Editing screen.

Ready for the bad news - Keyboard Shortcuts are for those using external keyboards, all ? of them

Yes, very disappointing.

Even on my iPhone 5S, there is room at the top of the Note editing screen for a   button.

As @DTLow pointed out above, there must be very, very few iOS users who have an attached keyboard.

@cifip - I think it would behoove you (and the other Evernote developers) to offer the good reason why you didn't implement the date/time keyboard shortcut for the millions of us who do not have an attached keyboard.

Hi - where is the palm rejection or palm rest for inking?   how is the ability to auto correct a right angle more important than the actual ability to write comfortably on the ipad?   Hello?  Help?  What?  sigh.... 

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Analyst444 said:

Yes, very disappointing.

Even on my iPhone 5S, there is room at the top of the Note editing screen for a   button.

As @DTLow pointed out above, there must be very, very few iOS users who have an attached keyboard.

@cifip - I think it would behoove you (and the other Evernote developers) to offer the good reason why you didn't implement the date/time keyboard shortcut for the millions of us who do not have an attached keyboard.

Now you've done it - I'm going to get slammed by every external keyboard user :)

I have no idea how many keyboard users are out there, or the %.
But I know 100% of users would have access to a date/stamp command box on the screen
(except for those Markdown people who refuse to take their hands of the keyboard):)

Ability to add tags during clipping

Great idea, bad implementation. I've been asking for this ability for a while now.  But why not implement it the same way as it is in the app? I tap the tag area and then start typing the tag I want. This makes perfect sense. But the way you have implemented it in the clipping/share sheet is terrible. I have to scroll through a list of all my tags. Not the best way to do this.  Maybe this is a limitation of the share sheet and if so then so be it. I think it could be better.

1Password app users can easily sign-in with the 1Password app extension

This has been long awaited as well, thank you. Incidentally I do not use 1Password but I use LastPass and the app extension works with LastPass as well. Thank you!

One area for improvement would be the text formatting menu colors. For instance when I tap the "A" to choose formatting, underline, bold, etc. the menu is dark gray with dark green options. You can barely see them. Lighten up the green a bit and we should be able t see them.

• Level 5*

I'm gonna say something that I know you guys don't want to hear, and many of you will disagree.  But maybe it will be of some help to those considering iPads as a primary device for content creation.

The iPad has come a long way since its introduction.  I was one of the first to own an iPad since I had pre-ordered.  I had such high hopes for using it in mobile situations, like short trips and for taking meeting notes.  I went to extreme efforts to make the iPad work for me.  But it just couldn't be done.

Bottom line:  While the form factor of an iPad is very attractive, it still, as of today, is not well-suited for many content creation tasks.  A MacBook Air (about the same form factor) will serve you much better.
I love and use both the iPad (I own 3 of them) and the iPhone for viewing content, and for quick (and dirty) content creation tasks (like a note to self).

The Evernote app is a primary example.  There are many, many things I can easily do in EN Mac, that are either impossible, or hard to to in EN iPad.

IMO, if you want great portability, and great capability, then checkout a  MacBook Air 11-inch.  EN Mac is, IMO, the best Evernote app available today.

Having said that, I will say this:  There are some tools, some apps, that the iPad excels in.  Graphics art is one of them.  There are others, like viewing the night sky.
But for business productivity apps, it is very hard to beat a Mac.

My apologies to those of you who have heavily invested in iPads for business use.

57 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

I'm gonna say something that I know you guys don't want to hear, and many of you will disagree.  But maybe it will be of some help to those considering iPads as a primary device for content creation.

The iPad has come a long way since its introduction.  I was one of the first to own an iPad since I had pre-ordered.  I had such high hopes for using it in mobile situations, like short trips and for taking meeting notes.  I went to extreme efforts to make the iPad work for me.  But it just couldn't be done.

Bottom line:  While the form factor of an iPad is very attractive, it still, as of today, is not well-suited for many content creation tasks.  A MacBook Air (about the same form factor) will serve you much better.
I love and use both the iPad (I own 3 of them) and the iPhone for viewing content, and for quick (and dirty) content creation tasks (like a note to self).

The Evernote app is a primary example.  There are many, many things I can easily do in EN Mac, that are either impossible, or hard to to in EN iPad.

IMO, if you want great portability, and great capability, then checkout a  MacBook Air 11-inch.  EN Mac is, IMO, the best Evernote app available today.

Having said that, I will say this:  There are some tools, some apps, that the iPad excels in.  Graphics art is one of them.  There are others, like viewing the night sky.
But for business productivity apps, it is very hard to beat a Mac.

My apologies to those of you who have heavily invested in iPads for business use.

I don't think that asking for some features such as an "Insert date and time" and Palm rejection/palm screen (something that exists in Penultimate already!!) should make us run back to a MacBook.  Everyone works differently and has different needs.  

This is what makes these boards so frustrating.. Evernote and their gurus have been telling us for years that we are working wrong instead of just helping us work the way we want.  How many lectures on "tagging is the future" did we have to get simply because we preferred subnotebooks?  Oh hey - here are some stacks.  these are the future.    And now there are tons of articles about how tagging is not the future.     And please don't apologize to me for not using the same tool you do.  Thanks.

• Level 5

Hi folks,

With every release we hope that users will find something that makes Evernote better for them.

Adding external keyboard shortcuts has been a long-standing request that we were able to accommodate with no UI changes. These shortcuts help Mac client users when using the iPad with a keyboard.

We have some big changes to improve note editing - as mentioned in The Future of Writing in Evernote - that are live in some clients now and coming to iOS soon. We'll continue to explore how best to add highly suggested features, such as easy date/time stamp entry using only the onscreen keyboard in future releases.

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5
15 hours ago, dglennsmith said:

Since yesterdays update, when checking or unchecking any list items the note scrolls right to the top, losing your place in the note.

Smitty

Thanks. We're working on a fix for that.

4 minutes ago, cifip said:

Hi folks,

With every release we hope that users will find something that makes Evernote better for them.

Adding external keyboard shortcuts has been a long-standing request that we were able to accommodate with no UI changes. These shortcuts help Mac client users when using the iPad with a keyboard.

We have some big changes to improve note editing - as mentioned in The Future of Writing in Evernote - that are live in some clients now and coming to iOS soon. We'll continue to explore how best to add highly suggested features, such as easy date/time stamp entry using only the onscreen keyboard in future releases.

Cheers,
Chuck

Chuck - you guys are certainly more responsive than in the old days.  thanks!!!

@JMichaelTX - I happen to agree with your message.

2 and a half years ago, I bought the first iPad Air. I've loved it and carry it with me to many places. When the iPad Pro was announced and I read the reviews, I had in the back of my mind to get one when the iPad Air needs to be replaced.

Then, I bought my wife a MacBook Pro. The entire device is not much bigger (size and weight) than the iPad Pro, in particular, it's 13.3" screen is even a little bigger. It's standard Apple apps (like calendar, contacts, reminders) have more functionality than I presume iOS does on the iPad Pro. It runs MS Excel, which I use a lot. The built-in keyboard is very helpful to the kind of work I do. I love its solid state design which is completely quiet. As I'm not artistic, I don't need any of the sophisticated drawing apps available on the iPad.- - - In short, I've concluded that my next Apple device will be a MacBook Pro. - - - The extra couple hundred dollars of the MacBook Pro over the iPad Pro is worth it for my needs.

However, none of my comments here change my mind about the need for a  button for iOS devices that do not have attached keyboards.

6 hours ago, cifip said:

Hi folks,

Cheers,
Chuck

Thanks for taking the time and effort to read and reply.  Keep up the good work! 

Archived