Evernote for Mac 6.5 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we're releasing Evernote for Mac 6.5.  Here are the official release notes.

New

• We changed the key command for increasing or decreasing font size. To increase, hit “⌘>” and to decrease, hit “⌘<. This aligns with other office productivity applications and allows us to use⌘+ and ⌘- for a future Zoom feature.

Fixed

• Fixed an issue where checkboxes didn’t print.

• Fixed an issue where tags with periods or other symbols wouldn’t be found in the tag filter.

• Improved initial Mac setup performance for accounts with 1000+ tags.

• Fixed 7 of the top 10 crashing bugs.

Beta Features (NOTE: These are only available on the Direct Download Version)

We have a couple of features that are not quite finished yet but are available for beta testing purposes.

• Zoom - Use “⌘+” and “⌘-” to temporarily zoom in and out. There are a few bugs, including an issue with resizing images when in zoom mode. To try it out, go to Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable zoom.

• Code Block - This feature basically takes any selected text and converts it to a monospaced font and creates a gray background around the line of text. This also has a few bugs. It’s not recommended to turn this feature on if you’re an Android user because editing the note on Android will undo the code block. This works fine if you’re using the Common Editor beta version of Android, but will break using the standard Android app. To try it out, go to Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable code block.

Please let us know if you find any issue and reply to this post so we can find them quicker. If you want to download the build you can get it here.

P.S. I also wanted to add with a lot of sadness that this is my last day at Evernote. It's been a real pleasure working with all of you. I think Version 6.5 will be the most stable version of Evernote Mac ever and I'm really proud of the work the team has made on fixing crashing issues and working on sync errors. I also can't wait until you see 6.6. Now that the product is in a pretty stable state, we started to focus on some of the long standing issues that many of you have been asking for and also working on some cool things that will be totally unexpected. I'm disappointed I won't be here when 6.6 finally ships but as an Evernote user I'm going to be ecstatic. Thanks again to all of you in the Evernote community who have commented in these forums and played a big part in making our favorite product better.

81 replies to this idea

23 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sorry to hear that.  What OS X ver are you running?

I'm now running EN Mac 6.5 on two Macs with Yosemite (10.10.5), and Ver 6.6 Beta 2 on a clean install of El Capitan.
I have not seen any performance issues on any of these.  I have about 15,000+ notes, most of which are less than 2 pages.

Hi @JMichaelTX, I'm on a macbook, with El Captain (10.11.3), and EN Version 6.5 (Direct), I have about 30,000+ notes, most of which are images (mostly one or two images per note) with text annotations. Have other computer, older, same version of OSX, EN installed via App Store. Thanks anyway for the interest. And let me ask for another help: how can I follow up an open support ticket? Only by email?

Got what seems like an automatic response from support, instructing me to "uninstalling and updating", even though I've sent the EN version in the original ticket and it was already the latest version. 

Anyway, I've done my part, followed the instructions, uninstalled and installed again and, as expected, the problem persists. 

Can't shake the feeling of being deceived, just so the support team can buy time and maintain their SLA statistics. I'm very disappointed. 

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Edu Tanaka said:

I've updated to 6.5 a few days ago, and the overall performance really get worst. Now when I create, edit or even delete a note, EN freezes for about 30 seconds, sometimes more. Already submitted a support ticket.

Sorry to hear that.  What OS X ver are you running?

I'm now running EN Mac 6.5 on two Macs with Yosemite (10.10.5), and Ver 6.6 Beta 2 on a clean install of El Capitan.
I have not seen any performance issues on any of these.  I have about 15,000+ notes, most of which are less than 2 pages.

On February 26, 2016 at 0:38 AM, JMichaelTX said:

Has anyone seen any real issues concerning performance or functionality (other than the KB shortcuts)?

I've updated to 6.5 a few days ago, and the overall performance really get worst. Now when I create, edit or even delete a note, EN freezes for about 30 seconds, sometimes more. Already submitted a support ticket.

I just want to say that its not working to enlarge the text fonts for me with the new set up. 

I just get the language control ( text control up ) instead.. 

and on smaller text nothing happens  cmd SHFT .  sigh and , I think it is right ? 

/ S

• Level 5
13 hours ago, juxtaposer said:

I am definitely up to date on the app (just checked in prefs) but I can't get zoom to do anything. Cmd +> does nothing and the window menu / doesn't really increase anything either just goes to full screen which is about 2% better.

I've seen the forum requests going back years and this release claims it is now done but it doesn't work on my iMac. 

Please note that this is a Beta feature which is only available on the direct download version and only after it is explicitly turned on (Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable zoom).

On 2/19/2016 at 3:04 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

We have a couple of features that are not quite finished yet but are available for beta testing purposes.

• Zoom - Use “⌘+” and “⌘-” to temporarily zoom in and out. There are a few bugs, including an issue with resizing images when in zoom mode. To try it out, go to Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable zoom.

On 3/5/2016 at 5:14 PM, OMNIZEN said:

I have no attachment to a particular feature right now. I just notice patterns where people ask for something and it goes ignored. Some features (font thing for IOS) is a feature request (posted by many people in new threads). This request, by many, hasn't been implemented for the span of years. This is clear indication that there is a disconnect. 

To be specific, you are seeing patterns in people asking for something *on this forum*. It's a vocal minority fallacy to say this demonstrates "a clear indication there is a disconnect" in any way beyond a disconnect with some forum users.

What proportion of Evernote users post in this forum or even read it? How much information does EV get directly from customers or via social media rather than on the forum? How much competitive intelligence do they do on other products? How much comes out of internal use and skunkworks?

Things like this public forum are only one part of how a smart product team plans for new features. The forums may be a good bell-weather, but don't draw too many conclusions from what you read on Internet public discussions.

I am definitely up to date on the app (just checked in prefs) but I can't get zoom to do anything. Cmd +> does nothing and the window menu / doesn't really increase anything either just goes to full screen which is about 2% better.

I've seen the forum requests going back years and this release claims it is now done but it doesn't work on my iMac. 

Why doesn't this fundamental need get addressed? 

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

"obviously high-priority" might be open for debate
I've seen it many times in the forum, a user expressing that their special interest is the "obviously high-priority" and should be addressed right away.

Evernote has implemented a tool in these forums for users to express their priority opinion.  This is the voting buttons at the top of the discussion.

I'm not sure I've seen your discussions on font options(size, type) and better readability feature but you might want to make sure they were posted in a feedback forum and encourage people to up vote them.

I have no attachment to a particular feature right now. I just notice patterns where people ask for something and it goes ignored. Some features (font thing for IOS) is a feature request (posted by many people in new threads). This request, by many, hasn't been implemented for the span of years. This is clear indication that there is a disconnect. 

1 hour ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

What specific font formatting features are you looking for?  Currently Evernote uses CMD+T or Format: Show Fonts to display the Mac OS font dialog which I think gives you all the font formatting capabilities one would want.

Evernote is a service and Alternote is a partner.  On some level it doesn't matter what client you use as long as the service is Evernote.  If people like Alternote that's great.  Choice is good for customers.  

I think we're in agreement.  For the longest time Evernote was focused on expanding the business by acquiring, building or partnering with 3rd parties to add more clients to the core Evernote service or focusing on collaboration/messaging as an extension to the sharing experience.   I think the point you may have missed is that the new management team has changed course.  The new focus is on the "note" but before the company tries to run, the team must first ensure that the basics of reliability and stability are taken care of.  This is what the Mac team has been focused for the past 3 months.  My point is that they are starting to turn the corner and will be able to get back to addressing missing features and innovating again.  My other major point is that new competition and/or bad press has not had a material affect on the fundamental business.  Evernote is in great shape.  

Let the Evernote team know explicitly what you are looking for.  Vague and broad statements don't help.  Cheers.

Thank you for your response and insight. Im specifically talking about the disconnect coming about the handling with user requests. There seems there is a fundamental lack of prioritization, just my view, but looking at the forum and trend of updates, its apparent that there is a disconnect. 

Mac is good with formatting. But the features to edit and write on IOS is well behind the competition and the main complaint I've encountered with people i've recommended EN to. They all say the same "why is it so difficult to view my notes" ??? (I'm like "idk anymore:(

In sales, a good word travels fast, a negative word travels 2x's faster. 

Fundamentally the "market" only lets competitive companies thrive. EN can have different focus, course correct, try this or that. This is all great. But, the fundamental idea of listening to the consumer base (complaints, requests, general customer service) are what keep people coming back, it projects companies into big profits & usability of their product / service. And when companies loose sight of that, they begin to struggle. 

I say all of that, to say this: "the EN team and developers have fundamentally and continuously lapsed in managing popular requests, they have fallen out-of-tune with that which makes up the user-base. There is an apparent and obvious disconnect. As a result, there have been nuermous "negative press" (dead unicorn, Evernote in trouble, people resigning, negative reviews, offices closing, ect). It is my hope and desire to see EN management to fix the fundamental issue.  Introspect, the manner in which updates/features are implemented. Prioritize what people want out of product. EN developers / team can be more innovative but first comes the opinions of the body which make up EN. Less EN more EN community. 

17 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

I fully supported the 3 month effort to focus on quality vs features.  I think that phase is coming to an end and you'll start to see more new features coming in the not too distant future.

TBH, this probably saved me from going over to OneNote. The trouble/changes with getting tables right, particularly lists in tables, was very frustrating. I prefer EN's classic editor feel to OneNote's layout mode, but I often want to maximize visible screen real estate by using tables to create columns. More companies should consider having "release/month of quality/refactoring" in their annual dev calendars.

It's not all about a rush to have the most features or slavishly prioritize by what some people think is the highest priority. As a developer, you have to make a product you're proud of and one that you want to use yourself.  The opposite approach is how the Office products became such a mess and why simpler, better focused alternatives have been gaining traction over them.

17 minutes ago, OMNIZEN said:
The feature request that i cared most about was font options (size, type) and better readability feature.

What specific font formatting features are you looking for?  Currently Evernote uses CMD+T or Format: Show Fonts to display the Mac OS font dialog which I think gives you all the font formatting capabilities one would want.

19 minutes ago, OMNIZEN said:
With growing frustration, I actually found an alternative. Resorting to a to third-party software (Alternate) which gives me exactly what I want, which is a better looking Evernote. Which says something. That there is such a disconnect between dev’s EN team and consumer base that a considerable amount of talented and frustrated people developed an entire software specifically to fix there concerns (making EN look better (reading / writing). So you have a software that has been available for years, where people themselves took it upon themselves to DEVELOP a non existing software to make EN material look better

Evernote is a service and Alternote is a partner.  On some level it doesn't matter what client you use as long as the service is Evernote.  If people like Alternote that's great.  Choice is good for customers.  

23 minutes ago, OMNIZEN said:
The competition in a seemingly flooded market: Google, Apple, Microsoft, all have massive user bases and more even resources than Evernote. With notes technology becoming more competitive more customers have more options.

Does anyone else see what I mean? 
It takes time to develop software. The software has been out for years. They have quite bit of users and are popular, so what they developed there was a big enough demand that people have purchased there software. Which is to say that the demand for EN to look better hasnt been prioritized (disconnect) or simply ignored. Because if it was Alternote software may not even exist or be popular. If EN was more in tune with community forums and userbase, we would have seen UI or font style improvements a long time ago. 

If I sound repetitive on the forms it's because Im trying to communicate effectively, because I feel I wasn’t doing a accurate job of what what I meant. 

It's frustrating to see that features that are obviously high-priority go ignored for so long and see the disconnect. 

I think we're in agreement.  For the longest time Evernote was focused on expanding the business by acquiring, building or partnering with 3rd parties to add more clients to the core Evernote service or focusing on collaboration/messaging as an extension to the sharing experience.   I think the point you may have missed is that the new management team has changed course.  The new focus is on the "note" but before the company tries to run, the team must first ensure that the basics of reliability and stability are taken care of.  This is what the Mac team has been focused for the past 3 months.  My point is that they are starting to turn the corner and will be able to get back to addressing missing features and innovating again.  My other major point is that new competition and/or bad press has not had a material affect on the fundamental business.  Evernote is in great shape.  

Let the Evernote team know explicitly what you are looking for.  Vague and broad statements don't help.  Cheers.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, OMNIZEN said:

It's frustrating to see that features that are obviously high-priority go ignored for so long and see the disconnect. 

"obviously high-priority" might be open for debate
I've seen it many times in the forum, a user expressing that their special interest is the "obviously high-priority" and should be addressed right away.

Evernote has implemented a tool in these forums for users to express their priority opinion.  This is the voting buttons at the top of the discussion.

I'm not sure I've seen your discussions on font options(size, type) and better readability feature but you might want to make sure they were posted in a feedback forum and encourage people to up vote them.

16 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

Are you using CMD + SHIFT+, or CMD + SHIFT+.  It's a little confusing.  The key command is ⌘> but this means you have to use the SHIFT key to get them.  I think Evernote could also make CMD+, and CMD+. do the same functionality which would make this easier for US Keyboard users.  The issue is you can't display the key command with the shift key because then it wouldn't work for European keyboards like German which have < > on the same key.

Both Zoom and Code Block have been requested by Evernote forum customers.  Zoom in particular has a forum thread that is 2+ years old so I don't think you can make the argument that Evernote isn't starting to address some of the long requested features by customers.  They may not be the ones you've requested but they are features people have asked for.   There is also a bug fix in the tag filter that was addressed in 6.5 which was also something discussed at length in the forum by a number of people.   Evernote has been focused on stability and reliability for the past 3 months.  7 of the top 10 crashes are fixed in 6.5 which I think everyone can appreciate and I know many would argue are more important than more features.  

I've read posts in the forum where people think Evernote isn't doing well because of news reports they've read and then they make the argument that if only Evernote management listened to their customer then they would be doing much better.  I know this wasn't brought up in the above comment but I've read it in other posts.  The funny thing is that Evernote is doing great.  The company is on target financially and active user numbers have never been better.  In particular the Mac product is doing fantastic based on all the usual metrics one would consider for success so don't believe everything you read and don't believe that Evernote is faltering.  I fully supported the 3 month effort to focus on quality vs features.  I think that phase is coming to an end and you'll start to see more new features coming in the not too distant future.

The competition in a seemingly flooded market: Google, Apple, Microsoft, all have massive user bases and more even resources than Evernote. With notes technology becoming more competitive more customers have more options. This aside from the recent negative headlines. EN is at point where they are up against tycoons. Appealing to the masses (EN community) is at this point, in my opinion is the highest priority. I don’t feel focusing on smaller (tweaks) like code block and others are what people desire most. 

I have no dog in this fight, i am unbiased. The feature request that i cared most about was font options (size, type) and better readability feature. With growing frustration, I actually found an alternative. Resorting to a to third-party software (Alternate) which gives me exactly what I want, which is a better looking Evernote. Which says something. That there is such a disconnect between dev’s EN team and consumer base that a considerable amount of talented and frustrated people developed an entire software specifically to fix there concerns (making EN look better (reading / writing). So you have a software that has been available for years, where people themselves took it upon themselves to DEVELOP a non existing software to make EN material look better

Does anyone else see what I mean? 
It takes time to develop software. The software has been out for years. They have quite bit of users and are popular, so what they developed there was a big enough demand that people have purchased there software. Which is to say that the demand for EN to look better hasnt been prioritized (disconnect) or simply ignored. Because if it was Alternote software may not even exist or be popular. If EN was more in tune with community forums and userbase, we would have seen UI or font style improvements a long time ago. 

If I sound repetitive on the forms it's because Im trying to communicate effectively, because I feel I wasn’t doing a accurate job of what what I meant. 

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

I fully supported the 3 month effort to focus on quality

Many thanks for your leadership on this, Marcus.  It was sorely needed.  New features in a buggy product are not really useful.

I can testify to the big improvement in quality under the leadership of Marcus.  For the last several EN Mac updates, I have been able to update within a week or so of the release with no new material bugs.  You may say so what, that's to be expected, but I can tell you that prior to Marcus I often had to wait months after a major release before all the new bugs were ironed out.

30 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

I think Evernote could also make CMD+, and CMD+.

Please don't do this.  Shortcuts are a scarce commodity.  For those few users who really need/want this, they can create those shortcuts themselves.

2 hours ago, kominetz said:

It was a top priority for me, and it's gotten me to move taking code-related notes out of Google Docs and into Evernote; I was struggling with looking for yet another tool to manage this kind of content literally the day after you released this version. Plus <code> is actually a part of html, so supporting it isn't weird or a complete waste of time. Plus the markdown shortcut approach is a lovely touch.

Anything you can do to make it easier to work in Evernote without having to touch the mouse is greatly appreciated. I'd love you forever and ever if you added more markdown-like and wiki-like keyboard smarts, especially something wiki-like to add note links inline (e.g., [[ My Other Note ]] auto-completing.) Please schedule more hackweeks if this is the kind of thing that comes out of them!

Thanks for bringing clarity to my confusion. Now that j have better understanding it's good to know. However, I feel this feature is geared more towards the techy person and not so much for the mainstream. Which is my biggest agitation. I think that Evernote should takw the three most requested features (whatever they may be) and work on that. 

I am at a point where I'm content with my Evernote app. But knowing how many people have turned away, whether for displeasure or competing, I think it would make sense to adapt to the market / customers requests. 

Its about competition. People go after what is simple, easy to use, reliable and looks nice. That to me has been the proven formula. Adding features like code block are good edition but feel in current state, the teams @ EN need to proporitize. Turn EN around. 

On 3/3/2016 at 4:33 AM, phil vS said:

I just upgraded to 6.5. Seems this was a mistake!  I use the + and - to increase font size all the time, in this and other Mac apps. I was willing to go along with the cmd> version. But it does NOT work on my mac?  Is there some setting I'm missing?

Are you using CMD + SHIFT+, or CMD + SHIFT+.  It's a little confusing.  The key command is ⌘> but this means you have to use the SHIFT key to get them.  I think Evernote could also make CMD+, and CMD+. do the same functionality which would make this easier for US Keyboard users.  The issue is you can't display the key command with the shift key because then it wouldn't work for European keyboards like German which have < > on the same key.

15 hours ago, OMNIZEN said:

Please someone tell me how code block is valuable to the average note taker?
how is this justified as top priority?
Please someone explain how out of all the feature requests I've seen from fellow EN users on this forum, how code block trumps them all ? 
I've seen so many good feature requests both unique and obvious on the forums. The decision to develop such a lackluster feature frustrating.
Look at all the good ideas of feature requests. People are telling you exactly what they want. I see so many unique and useful ideas.
Evernote management. Please do something about the way feature suggestions are being handled. So many ideas (with setup and team) go unnoticed and ingnored.

Both Zoom and Code Block have been requested by Evernote forum customers.  Zoom in particular has a forum thread that is 2+ years old so I don't think you can make the argument that Evernote isn't starting to address some of the long requested features by customers.  They may not be the ones you've requested but they are features people have asked for.   There is also a bug fix in the tag filter that was addressed in 6.5 which was also something discussed at length in the forum by a number of people.   Evernote has been focused on stability and reliability for the past 3 months.  7 of the top 10 crashes are fixed in 6.5 which I think everyone can appreciate and I know many would argue are more important than more features.  

I've read posts in the forum where people think Evernote isn't doing well because of news reports they've read and then they make the argument that if only Evernote management listened to their customer then they would be doing much better.  I know this wasn't brought up in the above comment but I've read it in other posts.  The funny thing is that Evernote is doing great.  The company is on target financially and active user numbers have never been better.  In particular the Mac product is doing fantastic based on all the usual metrics one would consider for success so don't believe everything you read and don't believe that Evernote is faltering.  I fully supported the 3 month effort to focus on quality vs features.  I think that phase is coming to an end and you'll start to see more new features coming in the not too distant future.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, OMNIZEN said:

3 hours ago, ziru said:

It actually came out as one of the experimental features created during the company's hackweek in Jan.

Code Block is probably not the most highly requested feature, but it has been requested often in these forums.  The biggest reason is that sometimes when you paste code (copied from a code editor) in Evernote, Evernote would change the code and the spacing.  This rendered Evernote as unusable to reliably store any code snippets.

The internal Evernote code for the Code Block feature came from the   hackweek where the teams were given the freedom to work on whatever they so chose.  Once the code was available, it would be a shame to not put it to good use in the actual Evernote product.

Maybe the next time Evernote has a "hackweek", they will identify the top 10 features requested, and have the teams compete on providing the best solution for those requested features.

2 hours ago, ziru said:

You are right that Code Block might not be justified as the top priority.  It actually came out as one of the experimental features created during the company's hackweek in Jan. This was mentioned in the forum post of the 6.5 beta 1.

Since we already have this feature baked in internal builds, we'd like to share with other Evernote users who also want this (off by default) and like to see how big the audience it would be.

It was a top priority for me, and it's gotten me to move taking code-related notes out of Google Docs and into Evernote; I was struggling with looking for yet another tool to manage this kind of content literally the day after you released this version. Plus <code> is actually a part of html, so supporting it isn't weird or a complete waste of time. Plus the markdown shortcut approach is a lovely touch.

Anything you can do to make it easier to work in Evernote without having to touch the mouse is greatly appreciated. I'd love you forever and ever if you added more markdown-like and wiki-like keyboard smarts, especially something wiki-like to add note links inline (e.g., [[ My Other Note ]] auto-completing.) Please schedule more hackweeks if this is the kind of thing that comes out of them!

On 2/20/2016 at 0:04 AM, SoftwareMarcus said:

• Code Block - This feature basically takes any selected text and converts it to a monospaced font and creates a gray background around the line of text. This also has a few bugs. It’s not recommended to turn this feature on if you’re an Android user because editing the note on Android will undo the code block. This works fine if you’re using the Common Editor beta version of Android, but will break using the standard Android app. To try it out, go to Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable code block.

I was very glad to discover that this feature is now included. But nothing happen'd until I found out in this contribution that it has to be activated in preferences. Thank you for that precision. Whatsoever:  What about a error message that tells about the pref when you use this and its not activated?

• Level 5*
On 4/20/2016 at 7:39 AM, xavier10 said:

I am very often using this feature (key stroke to change the font size), and got used to the new key stroke, but it seems that it is now broken (version 6.6).

It is working for me in EN Mac 6.6.1 on Yosemite (10.10.5).

Technically, the shortcut key to increase font size is CMD+SHIFT+.  and to decrease is CMD+SHIFT+,  for US English keyboards.
So CMD+SHIFT+. is same as ⌘>
and CMD+SHIFT+, is same as ⌘<

On 2/18/2016 at 0:04 AM, SoftwareMarcus said:

Today we're releasing Evernote for Mac 6.5.  Here are the official release notes.

New

• We changed the key command for increasing or decreasing font size. To increase, hit “⌘>” and to decrease, hit “⌘<. This aligns with other office productivity applications and allows us to use⌘+ and ⌘- for a future Zoom feature.

I am very often using this feature (key stroke to change the font size), and got used to the new key stroke, but it seems that it is now broken (version 6.6).

How to (1) change the font size without mouse interaction ? (I like key strokes more than icons) and (2) use intermediate font sizes ? (the menu proposes only a few of them: 14, 18, 24...)

Thanks !

Is the code/text in the code block plain text? Or do you still do formatting in there.

Regularly i have commands or code with the apostrophe replaced by a "smart quote", or with a new line after the command (which is not great when you want to paste it directly into a terminal. I hope the new code block will resolve this problem.

Also, it would be great it you make selecting the code in a code block easier. Now i still have to select the entire content, but it would be great if the first click in the code block would do this for you.

Spotlight search is not working on my mac OS version: 10.11.3 (15D21) , Evernote version: Version 6.5 (453172 Direct)

Notes are local on my mac.

At least expected Notes headers are searchable in spotlight search.

Please help

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, chrisbulle said:

yes, JM, the horizontal line. The web interface mouseover text calls it "divider line" so I guess we are both wrong ;-) 

Just to be clear, technically it is a HTML tag that is called "Horizontal Rule", which is also what it is called in the EN Mac 6.5 Format menu.
Unfortunately I have developed the bad habit of calling it "Horizontal Line" when speaking to non-technical folks, since sometimes the term "Rule" is misunderstood to mean "ruler".

11 hours ago, OMNIZEN said:

Please someone explain how out of all the feature requests I've seen from fellow EN users on this forum, how code block trumps them all ? 

You are right that Code Block might not be justified as the top priority.  It actually came out as one of the experimental features created during the company's hackweek in Jan. This was mentioned in the forum post of the 6.5 beta 1.

Even though we've been mostly working on stability stuff we have a few cool things we’ve added to the Mac client.   2 weeks ago Evernote held it’s first ever hackweek where everyone stopped their day-to-day work to spend a week designing, prototyping and building whatever they had a passion to work on as long as it was related to Evernote or could help Evernote customers. There were 54 separate teams and lots of really cool stuff produced.   A couple of these cool things are showing up in this release.

Since we already have this feature baked in internal builds, we'd like to share with other Evernote users who also want this (off by default) and like to see how big the audience it would be.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Edu Tanaka said:

Thanks @JMichaelTX, but resync is as far as I can go. Can't do all that manoeuvre (to create another account, test clippings, etc). I'm not willing to be a tester, just a customer who wish an stable platform to work

I completely understand.  Neither you nor any of us should have to be "testers" for Evernote.  It's kinda like this.  When I go down to Home Depot and buy a new saw, I want to take it home and get to work on my new project.  I don't really want to spend hours "debugging" the saw.  In fact, if it doesn't work, I don't test it for hours/days, I just take it back and get another brand/model.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

On March 15, 2016 at 1:06 AM, JMichaelTX said:

Try web clipping a few web pages to generate some mostly text notes, and see how the performance is for viewing/editing those.  Even better, create a new EN account, and clip the pages to that account.  The purpose of these tests is to determine if there is anything specific to your Mac that could be causing the issue.

I'm still waiting to re-download everything. Although the process is time consuming, after delete all local data and resync, everything seems to back to normal. Still I do not consider the best solution, but it worked so far. Thanks @JMichaelTX, but resync is as far as I can go. Can't do all that manoeuvre (to create another account, test clippings, etc). I'm not willing to be a tester, just a customer who wish an stable platform to work. Anyway, really appreciate and admire the commitment of the EN community. :) Keep up the good work.

Reading the discussion doesn't make this decision any better. It just tells everybody reading it how complicated this simple feature might be and that every smartass  will find the absolut correct argument. There is obviously no »right«. That said, our whole team is really annoyed. It's hard to keep them using Evernote at all, but changes that make things worse than better are not helping.

So here is the deal: Make it optional. Problem solved. Thank me later and get back to work!

On 24. Februar 2016 at 11:01 PM, JMichaelTX said:

RE:  Change in Shortcuts for Changing Font Size, & New Shortcuts for Zoom

Actually it was very carefully thought through, discussed much internally at Evernote, and then discussed at length in public in this forum.

At first, I also strongly objected to this change in shortcut keys for changing font size.  But after I did my homework, and actually analyzed what shortcuts are used by some of the most widely used Mac apps, I had to reverse my opinion, and agree with the change that Evernote has made.

I think Evernote made a big mistake by changing the shortcuts for font size. Maybe MS Word is the most used Word Processor, even on a Mac. But mac users do A LOT of work outside of Word. And most Mac apps use CMD-and CMD+ ! (see the list above and add Mail.)

Evernote, please change it back!

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Edu Tanaka said:

Kind of frustrating. One month of usage and already need to wipe out and clean install the software. Note that this is a new computer, but I'm also having problems related to performance and slowness for months in another computer.

I can certainly understand that.  I was just trying to think why you  are having performance issues and I'm not.   I just reread your above post:

3 hours ago, Edu Tanaka said:

I have about 30,000+ notes, most of which are images (mostly one or two images per note) with text annotations

I suspect the large images may be a big contributor to your issue.  Try web clipping a few web pages to generate some mostly text notes, and see how the performance is for viewing/editing those.  Even better, create a new EN account, and clip the pages to that account.  The purpose of these tests is to determine if there is anything specific to your Mac that could be causing the issue.

What are the specs on your new Mac?

31 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

You may be surprised at how many times a simple app reinstall will resolve/fix the issues the user is having.  It is a sound approach for issue resolution.

The next step, maybe for you, is to do a clean reinstall.  This removes everything related to the EN app on your machine, including data.  Sometimes app files, plists, data, etc. can become corrupt, and a clean install fixes that.

If you want to try it, see How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

The support team instructed me to delete all local data and resync as well. Still waiting for the download/sync to finish.

Kind of frustrating. One month of usage and already need to wipe out and clean install the software. Note that this is a new computer, but I'm also having problems related to performance and slowness for months in another computer.

I really love EN, it's a great product. I've been using for almost four years. But the last year or so, the problems are increasing (parallel to the volume of my database). So, you see, how can it provide 10GB of uploads per month if a database of about 30GB (in my case) crashes it? I don't even use the entire allowance... :/

Anyway, thanks again. I really appreciate your willingness to help. :)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Edu Tanaka said:

how can I follow up an open support ticket? Only by email?

Yes, primarily by email.  Keep in mind that if you have uncovered a bug, it could take a while, even months, to release a version that fixes the bug.
But you can keep the pressure on by replying to the EN Support email once a month, asking for status/update.

You can also:

• Post your issue on Twitter
  • Post your ticket# here and ask for help.
  • If you have a Premium or Business account, you can use live EN Support Chat
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Edu Tanaka said:

Got what seems like an automatic response from support, instructing me to "uninstalling and updating", even though I've sent the EN version in the original ticket and it was already the latest version. 

Anyway, I've done my part, followed the instructions, uninstalled and installed again and, as expected, the problem persists. 

Can't shake the feeling of being deceived, just so the support team can buy time and maintain their SLA statistics. I'm very disappointed. 

You may be surprised at how many times a simple app reinstall will resolve/fix the issues the user is having.  It is a sound approach for issue resolution.

The next step, maybe for you, is to do a clean reinstall.  This removes everything related to the EN app on your machine, including data.  Sometimes app files, plists, data, etc. can become corrupt, and a clean install fixes that.

If you want to try it, see How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

51 minutes ago, Bob Lonski said:

I have several MAC computers at home and work. On one of the MACs the "Software Update" tab is not available in the Preferences panel. Why would it be available in installations of EVERNOTE and not others. I am running the latest version of Evernote 6.4 and trying to update another computer to 6.5! I am running OS X 10.11.3.

The Software Update tab is only available on Direct Download versions of Evernote.  The Mac App Store has it's own mechanism for updating software and therefore this tab isn't needed.  Because of this only people that have the direct download version of Evernote will be able to beta test the Zoom and Code Block features.

Re @kominetz and @fnl:

See this earlier post regarding why we chose ⌘+ / ⌘- for the Zoom feature and “⌘>” / “⌘<” for the font size change feature.

As to the Zoom feature, it is off by default.  You need to go to Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable zoom.

2 hours ago, kominetz said:

The other thing I mentioned above, and maybe this is a config error on my part, but I have to use SHIFT in addition to the other keys in the chord.  In text edit, both COMMAND-+  and COMMAND-SHIFT-+ are treated as the same thing. Not so in Evernote.

COMMAND-+  and COMMAND-SHIFT-+ are treated as the same thing in Evernote, if you enabled the Zoom feature.  Does that not work for you?

14 minutes ago, fnl said:

Apple's OSX UI/UX use the key-combo [CMD]-[-] and [CMD]-[+] everywhere and universally to change font size. I use this key-combo a lot, several times a day, in Evernote, Mail, and other apps. Can you explain to me why changing this combo and swimming against the entire ecosystem of Mac Apps is a good idea?

I use Evernote on Mac and Windows in addition to other apps on both platforms. It's bad enough having to remember both, but apps that add a third way frustrate me. It wouldn't be so bad if I could remap keys--and even better transfer them among Evernote installations as a file or via cloud-managed settings.

The other thing I mentioned above, and maybe this is a config error on my part, but I have to use SHIFT in addition to the other keys in the chord.  In text edit, both COMMAND-+  and COMMAND-SHIFT-+ are treated as the same thing. Not so in Evernote.

Some more apps that use the [CMD]-[+/-] key-combo to change the font size on OSX:

• Adium
  • Firefox
  • Chrome
  • Pages
  • Numbers
  • MacVim
  • Terminal
  • Slack
  • Keynote
  • Stickies
  • PyCharm
  • IntelliJ
  • RStudio
  • Xcode

I.e., this "one new feature" in 6.5 is really strange, to say the least.

Apple's OSX UI/UX use the key-combo [CMD]-[-] and [CMD]-[+] everywhere and universally to change font size. I use this key-combo a lot, several times a day, in Evernote, Mail, and other apps. Can you explain to me why changing this combo and swimming against the entire ecosystem of Mac Apps is a good idea?

Coincidentally, I was just pasting lots of code into notes yesterday and getting annoyed that there wasn't a "format code block" feature. Then this morning I pull down the update and "voila!".  The ``` is a nice touch; does this and the lists shortcuts for a few revs ago mean we'll be getting closer to markdown soon?  So far these seem like reasonable ways to have the text entry speed of markdown and stay WYSIWYG.

On a related note, I hope we either get shorter key chords or a way to change key-binds or an actual markdown editing mode. I find the four-key chords (because of shift) for text justification too cumbersome, and the new bigger/smaller at three keys is pushing it.

I'm new to Evernote. I'm using on my Macbook. Is there a way to change the font when I am annotating a pdf? When I create a text box I can only get it to let me change from plain text or outlined text, but I can not change the actual font. Please help!! 

This may not be specific to this EN version, but I am getting a HUGE delay (>2-3 minutes) when I try to scroll my sidebar by sliding my finger down my touch pad.  This could only be a problem for folks with many notebooks and tags displayed in sidebar, but might be worth investigating internally and fix to allow for large collections. This delay occurs as a slide down the list.  Cursor becomes a spinning ball, and other actions are not possible. 

Jay

19 hours ago, acavness said:

I'm new to Evernote. I'm using on my Macbook. Is there a way to change the font when I am annotating a pdf? When I create a text box I can only get it to let me change from plain text or outlined text, but I can not change the actual font. Please help!! 

I don't know how to change the font, but in case you want to change the font size, here is how:

http://cl.ly/3H2R2D1O2D1A

I have several MAC computers at home and work. On one of the MACs the "Software Update" tab is not available in the Preferences panel. Why would it be available in installations of EVERNOTE and not others. I am running the latest version of Evernote 6.4 and trying to update another computer to 6.5! I am running OS X 10.11.3.

Thanks

Bob

Thanks for all the nice comments. I think the Mac team is in really good shape and will be able to deliver some really great features in the upcoming releases.  I've defined what I felt were the top things to address through to the Summer and the executive team supports these changes.  

I also want to point out that I think Evernote as a company is in great shape despite some negative articles.  I'm reluctantly leaving because I got an offer I couldn't refuse.  It had nothing to do with Evernote itself.  

In any case, thanks again for all the nice words.  Don't worry the Mac team is in good hands and all of us customers will benefit from their hard work.    

• Level 5*
On 2/19/2016 at 6:04 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

P.S. I also wanted to add with a lot of sadness that this is my last day at Evernote.

This saddens me greatly, because I'm selfish. I'm sure you're off to do amazing things elsewhere, but I'll miss your presence in the forums. You were a breath of fresh air when you came; you replied to us, chatted with us, and were frank with us. When I think of actual faces — people who take the time to chat and be present in the forums — behind Evernote (versus just the big corporation) I think of only two: @gbarry and you. You've made running Evernote on my Mac a joy, even when bugs and glitches have popped up. Thank you for all you've done here.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

• Level 5*
On 2/19/2016 at 5:04 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

P.S. I also wanted to add with a lot of sadness that this is my last day at Evernote.

Marcus, while I wish you the very best wherever you go from here, I can say that I, and many others, will greatly miss your presence here.

You have not only provided outstanding leadership and guidance for the Mac product, but you have done so in a great style.  Your willingness to be open and discuss hard issues, to share a lot of insight into the Evernote process, and to always remain civil and professional is rarely found in today's  world.

Live long and prosper, my friend.

Best regards,
JMichaelTX

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

P.S. I also wanted to add with a lot of sadness that this is my last day at Evernote

Hey Marcus - we're sorry to see you go!  I'm one of those evil people who use Android and Windows so I've not had the opportunity to try out your software versions in the wild,  but your posts are always helpful,  informative and good-humoured,  and my impression is that the technical content is second to none. 

You're a sad loss for the user-base,  but I'm sure we all wish you well.  Please don't be a stranger in the forums,  and if you're up to anything interesting,  let us know in the Off Topic forum!

Gaz.

1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

How to we paste code (copied from a code editor) into a new Code Block?

There are a few ways you can create a new Code Block (after enabling the Code Block feature from Preferences):

- Click the {} button from the UI formatting bar (with no text selected)

- Press Cmd+Ctrl+B

- Type ``` and then press Enter (if you have Auto Format feature enabled in Preferences -> Formatting)

Once a new Code Block is created, the cursor should be placed within the empty Code Block.  You can then use Cmd+V or context menu to paste code from your code editor into the note.

Another possible way is to first paste the code into the editor as usual, and then select all text of the code, and then click the {} button or press Cmd+Ctrl+B to convert the currently selected text into a Code Block.

Hope that helps.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

Today we're releasing Evernote for Mac 6.5

Thanks for the update.

19 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

Code Block - This feature basically takes any selected text and converts it to a monospaced font and creates a gray background around the line of text.

How to we paste code (copied from a code editor) into a new Code Block?

Previously, Evernote would sometimes add one or more spaces to code that was pasted into an EN Note.  I want to make sure I avoid this.

18 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:
  • Fixed an issue where tags with periods or other symbols wouldn’t be found in the tag filter.

Thank you very, very much!

Problems with Web-Links (EN Mac v6.5.0 and earlier)

(filed as Support-Ticket #1470657)

1) Support Web-Links with Parameters (? and &)
I do need to add links with parameters.
Please add support for links in the format: http://www.test.com?ParameterA&ParamterB

2) Support Web-Links with changed Link-Name
I would like to shorten long Links like the following example:
At first this seems to work, but at some point while syncing to another Mac those links will be transformed to plain text.
Will be transformed to: http://www.test.com/../test/ (plain text, not a link anymore)

When i copy the link the link URL gets transformed to the link Name:
Link URL: http://www.test.com/.../test/ (not the same URL as in the source)

Please add support for changed Link-Names like the examples above.
On February 19, 2016 at 3:04 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

New

Fixed

• Fixed an issue where checkboxes didn’t print.

• Fixed 7 of the top 10 crashing bugs.

Please let us know if you find any issue and reply to this post so we can find them quicker. If you want to download the build you can get it here.

P.S. I also wanted to add with a lot of sadness that this is my last day at Evernote. It's been a real pleasure working with all of you. I think Version 6.5 will be the most stable version of Evernote Mac ever and I'm really proud of the work the team has made on fixing crashing issues and working on sync errors. I also can't wait until you see 6.6. Now that the product is in a pretty stable state, we started to focus on some of the long standing issues that many of you have been asking for and also working on some cool things that will be totally unexpected. I'm disappointed I won't be here when 6.6 finally ships but as an Evernote user I'm going to be ecstatic. Thanks again to all of you in the Evernote community who have commented in these forums and played a big part in making our favorite product better.

I've seen so many good feature requests both unique and obvious on the forums. The decision to develop such a lackluster feature frustrating.

Look at all the good ideas of feature requests. People are telling you exactly what they want. I see so many unique and useful ideas. 

Evernote management. Please do something about the way feature suggestions are being handled. So many ideas (with setup and team) go unnoticed and ingnored.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, phil vS said:

BTW, I believe the logic of following Word or Google Docs is ok, but actually these days I think the vast majority of text writing is done in emails where the standard is cmd+ and cmd- in the Mac World.

Therein lies the rub.  Neither Apple nor Microsoft have consistently implemented font size change in all of their Mac apps.

You make a good point about time spent writing emails, but it's not clear what the stats are.  Most of my emails are short, especiallly the replies.  If I need to compose a longer email, I usually do it in either Evernote or Word.

18 hours ago, phil vS said:

It would be most helpful if you could simply let users set this in Preferences.

Fortunately for Mac users, we can do this in Mac System Preferences.  There you can set KB shortcuts either on a app by app basis, or for ALL apps.  I just tried the all apps, and I successfully changed Outlook "Increase Font Size" to CMD+SHIFT+>.

1. Goto Mac System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts.
  2. Click on "App Shortcuts"
  3. Click on "All Applications" at the top in the right panel.
  4. Click the "+" button at the bottom of the panel to add a new shortcut
  5. Enter exactly "Increase Font Size" and whatever shortcut you'd like.  I used  CMD+SHIFT+> to make Outlook work like Evernote.
  6. Repeat this for "Decrease Font Size"

Notice:  

1. Assigning a shortcut for ALL Apps might have unintended consequences.  It might generate some conflicts in some apps, so pay attention.  If thing start acting weird, try removing the ALL Apps shortcuts.
  2. If an app does not use the exact same string for changing the font size, then it won't be applied to that app.
  3. For more info, see OS X Yosemite: Create keyboard shortcuts for apps 

I just upgraded to 6.5. Seems this was a mistake!  I use the + and - to increase font size all the time, in this and other Mac apps. I was willing to go along with the cmd> version. But it does NOT work on my mac?  Is there some setting I'm missing?

BTW, I believe the logic of following Word or Google Docs is ok, but actually these days I think the vast majority of text writing is done in emails where the standard is cmd+ and cmd- in the Mac World.

It would be most helpful if you could simply let users set this in Preferences.

Cheers!
Phil - a (normally) very happy, heavy Evernote user.

On 28. Februar 2016 at 9:50 AM, bambooparadox said:

(filed as Support-Ticket #1470657)

I'm sorry my samples were not showing my problems :-(
(I should have tested it better)
Please see a new sample for Problem 1 below.

Problem 1) Support Web-Links with Parameters (? and &)
I do need to add links with parameters (Query string).
Please add support for links in the format: http://www.test.com/?a=1&b=2&c=3
(I could only reproduce it with at least two & in the parameter list)

Steps to reproduce the behavior:
You need 2 Macs with the same synced EN-account to reproduce this behavior!
1) Insert Link on EN-Mac1 and save/sync note. (Link stays intact on EN-Mac1)
2) View Link on EN-Mac2 after sync. (Link is now Text-only on EN-Mac2)
It's the same if you do it the other way round. (Insert on EN-Mac2 and View on EN-Mac1)

Problem 2) Support Web-Links with changed Link-Name
Right now, i'm not able to reproduce the problem :-(
But i've seen it happening several times.
I guess there must be something additional that leads to that problem.

I have never seen the problem, when i use a Link Name such as "Link 1".
It seems to happen only when the Link Name looks like an URL.

Thanks for the new release - it's appreciated!

Notifying you of an error. In 6.5, if I delete a note or edit a note's tags while in a saved search, the note is not removed from the search until I go to all notes, and then back to the search.

• Level 5
9 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

I agree.  Since the user creates the Code Block (unlike web clip or paste), it should be protected from the Simplify Formatting action.

Noted.

On 28. Februar 2016 at 6:54 PM, JMichaelTX said:

I just tested this in EN Mac 6.4 on Yosemite (10.10.5), and I don't see any of the issues you described.

What OSX ver are you running?

Thanks for testing!

I'm running El Capitan (10.11.3)

• Level 5*

The beta function "code block" is great, but it will be destroyed using "simplify formatting". I want it to be kept in the "simply formatting", as with "table" and "bullet list".

I agree.  Since the user creates the Code Block (unlike web clip or paste), it should be protected from the Simplify Formatting action.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, bambooparadox said:

I just tested this in EN Mac 6.4 on Yosemite (10.10.5), and I don't see any of the issues you described.

What OSX ver are you running?

I don't understand why in the latest update of the Evernote desktop client you have statically changed the hotkeys. I want to be able to set my own hotkeys. I also want to be able to determine what things get autoformatted in a note. I do want asterisks to change into bullet points, but I don't want a sequence of dashes to change into a horizontal rule. These options should be opened up so the user can customize, just like in Adobe Photoshop. I love setting my own hotkeys and using them in Photoshop, it makes me so much more productive. If you did this it would make Evernote much more pleasurable to use.

@Software Marcus While I still prefer to disagree about the "right" way here, I guess that is common across the OSX application landscape (for example, I realized here that only "my" Firefox scales fonts but not images with CMD-[+/-], while Chrome and Safari do not...), so I can understand your argument. Plus, if your A/B testing team has determined it is the greater portion of your paying pro users that is "happier" with this change, there is little to be argued here, anyway. For now, I guess I'll just need to see how this change plays out for me on the long term. Changes to Evernote are very important to me, as it is a vital part of my digital life - and I certainly am looking forward to the long-awaited code-block feature!

However, I certainly appreciate the time you took to explain Evernote's viewpoint here. And all the best on your new endeavors!

• Level 5*

Well, the good news is that (in spite of a few complaints about KB shortcuts), this new EN Mac version seems to working well.  I've seen only one minor issue reported (about scrolling via the touchpad).  That is really great!  So, time permitting, I'm going to pull the trigger later tonight, or first thing tomorrow.  Lot's of great stuff here, but I've really looking forward to the new code snippet feature.

Has anyone seen any real issues concerning performance or functionality (other than the KB shortcuts)?

@fnl Your argument doesn't hold on lots of different fronts.  First MS Office was one of the first programs on the Mac and was on the Mac before Windows so it's not a Windows transplant.  If anything it helped define some of the standards that are now common on the Mac.  Remember the Mac originally didn't have contextual menus or a "right" click.  Second just because you use Pages it doesn't mean lots of people use Pages even if it's free.  The majority of people use and are familiar with MS Word.  Microsoft is by far the largest "seller" of Mac software and because it's so pervasive in business one could argue that it sets standards for how things work in productivity apps.  Third you can't dismiss Google Docs as just a web page.  I don't know about you but most of the kids I know in both high school and college in the US use Google Docs.  It's also very popular internationally especially in markets where they can't afford MS Office.  

Standards are not what a company defines but what the majority of people use and are familiar with.  Evernote needs to base decisions on what is the most popular "standards" in the market place and not necessarily what we individually use and are familiar with or a single platform defines.  In fact my guess is that there are MS Office and Google Doc users who have always felt Evernote violated the font key command "standard" because it didn't follow these 2 apps.

What also factored into the decision is that there was a feeling that more people would end up using Zoom vs the font increase and decrease key commands since there isn't UX for it where as the font size drop down is easily available.  If beta results are any indication, we were right.  Zoom is the 4th most used note editor feature even though it wasn't on by default.   The font increase and decrease key commands never reached that high of a ranking even though its available to everyone.

The bottom line is that change is hard.  The key point is that the Evernote team didn't take this lightly and put a lot of thought into it and I think this is the right decision.  Now there could be some tweaks required for international users and some other things that might make the new key command better for more people but I think the change is good.

Just because one program that isn't native to the Mac platform does not follow the Apple standard ("Oh, look, Microsoft doesn't follow Apple's UI design guidelines - how odd...") does not seem like a good reason to follow their lead. Even if it is MS Word. I at least don't even have any Office products because I think Pages and Keynote certainly produce more professional results at each of those use-cases (and Spreadsheets suck most of the time, anyway; as a matter of fact), they come for free with the OS, while MS licenses are chillingly expensive. As to Google Docs, that is not an app, just a webpage, so I also don't care about that. And I don't care if Photoshop/Safari/... zooms with CMD-Plus or whatever.

May I gently remind you that the use case of Evernote is (was?) taking notes, at least for me? So instead of discussing apps and things that do not have text editing functionality, take a look at cases that matter: apps with text editing functionality, where CMD-plus/minus does changes actual font sizes; Most of them follow this functionality (in alphabetic order, highlighting native apps in red): Adium, Mail, Keynote, Numbers, Messages, Notes, Pages, TextEdit, Stickies. And here are the ones that do not: Evernote, MS Word. Second, OSX has zoom built in (Sys Preferences -> Accessibility -> Zoom), so its not even a "new" feature for Mac users. Overall, the conclusion is therefore that you are only duplicating behavior that is there already while you are disabling behavior that is native to the platform.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, fnl said:

So this change is non-sensical and poorly thought through, to me in any case.

RE:  Change in Shortcuts for Changing Font Size, & New Shortcuts for Zoom

Actually it was very carefully thought through, discussed much internally at Evernote, and then discussed at length in public in this forum.

At first, I also strongly objected to this change in shortcut keys for changing font size.  But after I did my homework, and actually analyzed what shortcuts are used by some of the most widely used Mac apps, I had to reverse my opinion, and agree with the change that Evernote has made.

I know this will upset many Evernote Mac users.  But before you complain here, please take a moment to read the detailed discussion on this subject in this thread:  
Evernote for Mac 6.5 Beta 1 Released  

Here are a few highlights:

On 2/5/2016 at 6:38 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

CMD + + and CMD - - is the universal standard for Zoom in Safari and Chrome and in many other apps.  We felt this would be used often and should follow the standard.

Actually, it is the standard in all Mac browsers, AFAIK.

On 2/5/2016 at 7:56 PM, JMichaelTX said:

I totally agree with this.  The apps I most often use zoom is with Browsers, and all of them use CMD +/-
the other app is use zoom a lot is Adobe Acrobat.  It also uses CMD +/-

On 2/5/2016 at 6:38 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

we also felt that following the key commands of the top 2 word processors (MS Word and Google Docs) is the best option since people are familiar with these applications.  It almost doesn't matter what the Mac standards are if the top 2 word processors use a different set of keys. They define a standard that people know and are familiar with.

It is unbelievable that Apple violated their own standards with Pages.
The only real Apple competitor to Pages is TextEdit, which follows the so-called "standard"
Unfortunately, this has the effect of having NO standard for text size increase/decrease.

Since Apple really doesn't have a consistent standard for this, your [Evernote's] logic must prevail.
Since MS Word is, by far, the most used Word Processor, even on a Mac, I now have to agree with your choice

@Adjusting that is not quite correct. All apps that have WYSIWYG text editor functionality not only zoom, but also change the actual size of the text. Which I believe is extremely intuitive if compared to the Windoze way and even if you guys apparently think it isn't, most OSX users will have grown accustomed to that fact. So this change is non-sensical and poorly thought through, to me in any case.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, fnl said:

Some more apps that use the [CMD]-[+/-] key-combo to change the font size on OSX:

• Adium
  • Firefox
  • Chrome
  • Pages
  • Numbers
  • MacVim
  • Terminal
  • Slack
  • Keynote
  • Stickies
  • PyCharm
  • IntelliJ
  • RStudio
  • Xcode

I.e., this "one new feature" in 6.5 is really strange, to say the least.

Safari, Chrome and Firefox use Cmd-+ and Cmd-- for Zoom In and Zoom Out just like we do.

Terminal, Messages and Slack say that they do Bigger and Smaller, but the shortcuts apply to all text in the app and so are functionally equivalent to our Zoom In and Zoom Out.

Xcode doesn’t seem to have any shortcuts bound to Cmd-+ and Cmd--.

I understand any change can be disruptive, but please be assured that this is not a change we made lightly or without much discussion. Given the lack of a clear standard, we felt it was more important to follow the de facto text editing standards of Word and Google Docs (Cmd-> and Cmd-< for Bigger and Smaller)

42 minutes ago, ziru said:

Re @kominetz and @fnl:

COMMAND-+  and COMMAND-SHIFT-+ are treated as the same thing in Evernote, if you enabled the Zoom feature.  Does that not work for you?

I understand why you chose it, and I hope you understand why this change might be confusing to users of older versions and other applications. No one mapping will make everybody happy which is why this seems like a great opportunity for personalization.

I was talking about COMMAND-+/- in TextEdit above which uses that for changing font size like Evernote did pre-6.5.  The remapped font size key-binds (COMMAND-</> and COMMAND-SHIFT-</>) are not treated as the same thing in my current Evernote Mac 6.5.  Referring to the actual mappings, COMMAND-, opens preferences and COMMAND-. does nothing. (COMMAND-< is really COMMAND-SHIFT-, at the input level.)

I hadn't turned on zoom--code block was what got me excited--but you are correct, it treats the two binds (COMMAND-= and COMMAND-SHIFT-= as both COMMAND-+).  Can you make font resizing behave the same way?

23 hours ago, FloydB said:

How do I get the update-- there is no update available notice when I start the app and no update appears in App Store?

The Mac App Store version has been submitted and will be released soon.  The Direct Download version can be downloaded here.

Archived