mattrickman

Losing "sketched" notes on iPad Pro

Love that i can finally take notes directly in EN with the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.

But.

I frequently lose notes.  If your in the middle of taking a note (in the sketch mode) and lets say you switch over to another app (checking mail for example).  Quite often (but not always) - I come back to EN to find that it has closed out of my sketch note  - meaning I have lost everything.

So - what I try to do is open up a sketch note... and then routinely click DONE and then go back into the sketch to keep working (this functions as a "save").

But - over the course of the day - it's easy to miss doing this - and subsequently I end up losing notes.  Hopefully this is something that changes in the future.

Does anyone else have this problem?

• Like 1

Yes, I'm having this problem. Just took an important client note and it was lost completely. Will have to start using Apple notes and transfer them across somehow.

Have you figured out a way to recover them?

I get this problem a lot and wish Evernote would resolve it.

I try to minimise the risk by frequently saving the sketch and I also make a note of the sketch version each time I reopen it, so I can keep track. But that only helps if the sketch shows all the different versions on the same note, which often happens; at least then you can choose the correct one. It doesn't help if you lose the sketch completely.

It's a real shame because the integration of the pencil, sketch and Evernote is a fantastic idea in concept especially if, like me, you create a lot of hand-written mindmaps. I persist because it is so useful. But I wish I could rely on it more than is currently possible.

Unfortunately the Evernote support folk just say it's a unique problem to me that they can't replicate. It's good to know that this is not in fact true and that others suffer the same problem.

I always use Goodnotes with auto save to Googledrive - that way when I add a link in evernote they will always be there and updated.  Goodnotes is a VERY solid app.  Have been using it on my iPad since it 1st hit the appstore years ago.  Have tried many times going to Evernote for handwritten notes instead since everything I do is in there ... but the unstability makes me not trust it.  maybe someday...

I have a lot of duplicates of my sketches notes. Anybody know how to fix it?

I also have the same problem, albeit erratically.  Very frustrating as others have said and certainly undermines my trust in using evernote for important hand written notes.

To chime in I also have this problem.  I just lost another note. Note still there but all content gone.  It happens erratically so I can’t reproduce it but it seems to be associated with a network not be fully connected to iPad.  

Evernote are you listening?  I’ve been using this since Apple Pencil cameand this happens enough that I am considering giving up. 

Same for me. Very annoying: notes are still there, but hand-written content is lost. I double the opinion above that this somehow is related to network/sync problems.

So frustrating that this problem is not fixed.  I lost another set of notes today and have finally decided after using evernote for more than 5 years that I'm going to have to use something else.   I can't afford to use a note program that discards my work without warning. 

I've experienced this before as well. After being away from Evernote for a few minutes it stops running in the background so that's probably why the sketch isn't saved. I think if you press "Done" on your sketch and then swipe down on the side bar you can force a sync to be sure it's saved. Definitely annoying though. I personally think Notability is a bit better for handwriting anyways and then very easy to send to Evernote when you're done.

I also experienced a problem where I lost my handwritten notes.  Please Evernote!  Auto backup please!!!

20 hours ago, choikee said:

I also experienced a problem where I lost my handwritten notes.

As a premium member you can report this directly to Support - if Evernote haven't yet found the cause of this sort of data loss,  your additional input may be what they need...

I asked support about this (they made a feature request) over a year ago. I made another one 4 weeks ago for the same issue. At this point, unfortunately, I'm done. No other sketching app I have on my iPad Pro discards my work if I don't actively save it. Autosave has been part of iOS for years and especially in a note taking app this is ridiculous. If I'm in a meeting, taking notes, and I stop for 5 minutes to discuss something, I don't expect my notes until that point to be deleted.

Obviously Evernote has had a lot of issues lately, both with corporate departures as well as a fair amount of negative press for becoming stagnant. I had really held out hope for Evernote. I've been an iOS user for over 8 years, and most of them have been a paying premium user. Looks like it's time to find another solution and recommend my clients do the same. ?

1 hour ago, JimLaPier said:

If I'm in a meeting, taking notes,

You have many choices for editors; are you using the best tool?
My favourite note taking editor is Notability on my iPad.  I send (share menu) the document to Evernote in .pdf format; .note format if there's audio recording.

>>find another solution and recommend my clients do the same

Evernote's editor is ok for basic notes.  I don't recommend it for serious work
For note taking, I recommend Notability
For word processing, I recommend Word/Pages.
For spreadsheets, I recommend Excel/Numbers.

Note attachments can be any file format.  
Evernote works well with images, pdfs and Office/iWork documents

This keeps happening to me too. Every few days I’ll forget to hit “done” before I switch to another app and I lose my note. Super frustrating. 

@DTLow Really? If Evernote Premium, which costs the same as MS Office 365, isn’t for serious work then what are we paying for? Doodling space? Sorry for being in a bad mood, but Evernote’s had this issue for years and some updates seem to fix it temporarily but it always comes back. Worse is when you start losing sketches from notes that were alredy saved fine. There’s just no excuse for this. I have always preferred Evernote for organising my work and mainly because the apple pencil writing and sketching experience is much better than other apps. I just wish I could only rely on it more. I have raised this issue to Support in the past and they have recommended upcoming updates, which usually do fix the issue, but then they start happening again. This thread was started in 2016, but this is still happening in 2019, and there isn’t a single comment here from Evernote Admins. Whether the app should be used for serious work or not is besides the point. The point here is that Evernote should deliver on their promises and ensure the app works, and not take paid users for granted, which is how I feel at the moment. As someone who does a lot of work on iPad, I already pay for MS Office 365 which gives me more than enough tools to get my notes done, but I prefer the Evernote interface, and have been a paid premium user for a number of years, and feel like I have to migrate to another tool just because I now primarily take notes using Apple Pencil and can no longer compromise on that.

8 hours ago, RayMas said:

I have always preferred Evernote for organising my work and mainly because the apple pencil writing and sketching experience is much better than other apps.

[Really]
I feel the same way about using Evernote for storing and organizing my work.  
I consider this to be the core function, and that's what I'm paying for.

For writing and sketching, I prefer to use dedicated apps
I find the Evernote editor and format only provides basic features
As I mentioned Notability is my choice for the iPad

all of you having issues please file a support request / bug report. This forum MAY help, but doesn‘t fix software bugs 🙂 EN has to be aware of that, so send them bug reports, just do it. Now! 🙂

• Like 1

I just had this happen to me, and submitted the bug report. It’s very frustrating. 

Just gave Penultimate another try. If you are used to some solid note taking with Apple Pencil and iPad Pro, the app is an outdated joke.

Personally I use Goodnotes for all handwritten stuff, but I hear a lot of good things about Notability as well. If I need some of it in EN, I have to export it as a pdf and send it via share as a note to EN.

EN for me is far away from being a serious contender in the race for taking handwritten notes. Make a few quick annotations, fine. But not taking notes !

Every bug report on this is justified !