Reminders versus tasks

Chris Textor

Idea

I would like to ue the reminders as a task list.

This works almost perfect with the reminders.

However, a task with a reminder will stay an 'open' note after marking the reminder as completed.

So my task list is growing and growing.

Would it be possible to move a note automatically to an archive tasklist (notebook) or add a label 'completed'?

If you choose for a label, then it would be good to have a filter option to show only open tasks.

Thanks

14 replies to this idea

I agree. I know there are arguments over whether Evernote is the best suited for a task list. I've tried to use it as such at different times. I almost prefer it to various other task programs. But this is a major pain point when trying to do this, because you cannot easily hide completed tasks.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Chris Textor said:

I would like to ue the reminders as a task list. This works almost perfect with the reminders.Would it be possible to move a note automatically to an archive tasklist (notebook) or add a label 'completed'?

I use tag !Actionable to indicate tasks.  
I also use tags When Now, When Soon, When Later, When Someday for scheduling.
I use tag !Archive to indicate archive; I use this to exclude notes from my searches.
This allows the use of saved searches to produce a task list.

The only time I use Reminders is as a step to a Calendar entry.

>>However, a task with a reminder will stay an 'open' note after marking the reminder as completed. So my task list is growing and growing.

When completing the reminder, there are various options.  
If you completely remove the reminder, it should be dropped from the reminder list

• Level 5*

If this is happening on IOS I would submit a bug report.  Whenever I Mark a reminder as done the reminder is removed from the list.  This is via opening the note and pressing the reminder icon in the bottom left on the iPhone, I forget where on the iPad at the moment.

If on a desktop version of EN, there is a Show Recently Closed option after clicking the gear icon above the reminders.

I understand the OP's intent to be different - not only to remove the completed reminder from the reminder list (which does happen unless it has changed recently), but also to send it to another "Archive" notebook or else to add a completed tag. If you have a !Tasks notebook, it can easily become cluttered with completed and in-progress tasks. If you have it sorted by date, you may have completed tasks that were created later but finished sooner above or even interspersed with incomplete tasks.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, DGW said:

If you have a !Tasks notebook, it can easily become cluttered with completed and in-progress tasks

I am anti-notebook (tag person), but I understand the convention is to have two notebooks !Open Tasks and !Completed Tasks
When a task is completed, it is dragged to the completed notebook. (reference The Secret Weapon)

• Level 5*

@DGW

Good read.  I was reacting to the task list growing and it does seem to be the note list growing.  Hard to differentiate among note/task/reminder in EN depending upon one's perspective. 

Workaround, if all the notes with reminders (tasks) are in one notebook you can select the notebook and do a -reminderdonetime:* search to only see notes with open reminders.  If the notes with reminders are in all notebooks you can do a reminderorder:* -reminderdonetime:* search and see only notes with open reminders.  You can save the search and put it in the shortcuts bar and you are always one click away from notes with open reminders.  FWIW.

59 minutes ago, csihilling said:

If this is happening on IOS I would submit a bug report.  Whenever I Mark a reminder as done the reminder is removed from the list.  This is via opening the note and pressing the reminder icon in the bottom left on the iPhone, I forget where on the iPad at the moment.

If on a desktop version of EN, there is a Show Recently Closed option after clicking the gear icon above the reminders.

Thanks csihilling.

This is a great workaround. 

I also changed by default notebook to the Task notebook, so as soon as I make a reminder from the button bar, it will be stored in the proper notebook.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Chris Textor said:

I would like to ue the reminders as a task list.

Looks like you have received a number of great workarounds for managing tasks in Evernote.
If you are satisfied with how things work with Evernote, then great.

But if you'd like a more robust, more fully featured, easy-to-use, task manager that is tightly integrated with Evernote, then you might take a look at tools like IQTell.

Archived