gbarry

Other Announcing the new Evernote for Outlook

Idea

Today we are announcing Evernote for Outlook, a new add-in that is now available to Outlook users. The add-in is available in the Microsoft’s Office Store today for all Outlook 2013, 2016 and Outlook on the web users with Office 365 mailboxes. It is also now available to users of the new Outlook.com.  

What is Evernote for Outlook?

With the Evernote for Outlook add-in you can access your Evernote account without leaving the Outlook client. Just click on Evernote from the new add-in commands in your Outlook to try these features:

1) Save emails to Evernote
Save important emails directly to the notebook of your choice. You can also add tags and remarks to give the email context. Want the whole thread and save the attachments too? No problem.

2) Attach Evernote note into your email
Browse through your Evernote notes from the add-ins sidebar. When you find a note you want to share, the add-in can place a preview snippet inside the body of your message. When your friends and colleagues click it, they'll go directly to your note.

How do I get Evernote for Outlook?

Here are instructions for finding and installing the add-in, as provided by Microsoft:

For Outlook.com users, you will soon be able to access the Evernote add-in via an add-in command on the top of the screen. Simply click on the Evernote logo at the top of the screen to launch the add-in. The add-in commands are rolling out to users in North America over the next few weeks, and then to users in other parts of the world. In the meanwhile, users can access the add-in through the steps below:

• In Outlook 2013 or Outlook 2016, click the File menu and then click Manage Add-ins. For Outlook Web App or Outlook.com, click on the gear icon (top right) and select Manage Add-ins
  • In the Manage Apps/Add-ins page, click the + sign and then select Add from the Office Store.
  • Select the add-in you want to install and then click the Add button to begin installation.

The above mentioned add-ins work in Mac Outlook 2016 in message read experiences only.  

*Please note that you might see slightly different variations of this add-in in the menu, or find it in a different location in the window, depending on Microsoft’s release schedule.

To learn more about the add-in and how to use it, see our Help and Learning article.

3 people like this

43 replies to this idea

3 minutes ago, gbarry said:

The above mentioned add-ins work in Mac Outlook 2016 in message read experiences only.

Sounds interesting.  Could you please explain in detail what this means?

More specifically, this means that Mac Outlook does not support Evernote/other add-ins in compose experiences, i.e. when a user composes a new message/reply, they cannot insert notes from Evernote into the message. There's work underway to bring compose functionality into Mac Outlook, but nothing ready to be announced.

3 people like this

The Mac Outlook 2016 supports add-ins in the read case only. So the Evernote for Outlook add-in for Mac Outlook 2016 can save a received message to Evernote (the read experience). 

2 people like this

35 minutes ago, gbarry said:

insert notes from Evernote into the message. There's work underway to bring compose functionality into Mac Outlook, but nothing ready to be announced.

That would be really cool, and very useful.  As I'm sure you are aware, many people experience issues sending a Note from Evernote via email.  Being able to send it via our preferred email app would be awesome.

1 person likes this

Tried to install the add in and got the message:

" We can't install the add-in right now. We're in the process of updating all outlook.com accounts, but haven't reached "

Will try again later, looking forward to this feature

2 people like this

Let us know when you do! 

I am looking forward to this being fully implemented. The only add-in I can see loads very slowly/not at all in the latest version of Outlook (I just updated it).

In Outlook 2016, after clicking the File menu, I do not see "Manage Add-ins". How can I add this new Evernote Add-in? 

Image.png

Often when I open Outlook I get a warning that the clipper has been disabled, or is taking a ridiculously long time to load. Something needs some work here!

On 2/27/2016 at 10:15 PM, Little_Sun said:

In Outlook 2016, after clicking the File menu, I do not see "Manage Add-ins". How can I add this new Evernote Add-in? 

Image.png

You have to go one step further and click on options. Add-ins will be in the menu on the left. Then you can manage them.

On 28/02/2016 at 10:08 AM, FactMan said:

You have to go one step further and click on options. Add-ins will be in the menu on the left. Then you can manage them.

I went into the Add-ins page, and I clicked this button. 

ScreenClip.png.35d54db1ac3ed08e439a94812

And it said,

56d48b6044d70_ScreenClip2.png.24ad2cbb10

I still cannot find the way to install the add-in. 

It's possible that you don't have access to it yet. Microsoft is doing a rolling launch, adding additional groups of users every day. You may need to be patient as they complete their rolling launch process.

I visited this forum just for this! This is great news!

On 2/28/2016 at 4:07 PM, FactMan said:

Often when I open Outlook I get a warning that the clipper has been disabled, or is taking a ridiculously long time to load. Something needs some work here!

Disabled warning: Not sure what you mean, could you share a screenshot?
Loading speed: Yes, you're right. We're working on it. You'll see an improvement with next version.

1 person likes this

Just had a thought. I have a lot of rules set up to assign categories to my emails in Outlook. Can the clipper tool turn those into Evernote tags?

When can we expect the regular web clipper to work with our office 365 webmail like it does with Gmail? Right now it wants to highlight my folders list if I want to focus it down from the full article. I really don't want a separate workflow when working primarily in a browser.

Do you have any idea when the rollout/upgrade from Microsoft will be finished?

I'm currently using a trial account, and really want to test this before subscribing to Outlook.

I can't find any plans from Microsoft...

Hi
I add the Evernote addin on my Outlook 2016 from Office Store to my Office 365 account and I want to know if this behaviour it's normal.
Every time that I use Evernote addin on my Outlook, Evernote ask me for login.
This way make use of Evernote in Outlook 2016 very difficult.
It's normal or it's a problem ?
Can you help me please ?

On 3/23/2016 at 3:34 AM, saintchelo said:

Hi
I add the Evernote addin on my Outlook 2016 from Office Store to my Office 365 account and I want to know if this behaviour it's normal.
Every time that I use Evernote addin on my Outlook, Evernote ask me for login.
This way make use of Evernote in Outlook 2016 very difficult.
It's normal or it's a problem ?
Can you help me please ?

No, this isn't normal. Evernote should remember the login info.

As this doesn't seem to be a general problem, please contact support to sort this out.

On 3/22/2016 at 8:35 AM, JohanH said:

Do you have any idea when the rollout/upgrade from Microsoft will be finished?

I'm currently using a trial account, and really want to test this before subscribing to Outlook.

I can't find any plans from Microsoft...

We don't have this kind of info, please contact Microsoft to find out.

Hello.  I'd like to report a bug.

I am using Evernote for Outlook on Outlook 2016 on Windows 7 Enterprise through my workplace's Office 356 subscription.  Whenever I try to clip an email, the subject line of the email is copied to the title of the new Evernote note.  I often want to add text before the subject line of the email in the Evernote note title.  When I try to type at the beginning of the title of the note in the Evernote for Outlook window, the cursor keeps jumping to the end of the line after every character I type.  Thus, I've had to type my additional text at the end of the line (after the email subject) and then copy and paste that text at the beginning (before the email subject).  Please fix this bug.  Thank you!

Otherwise, this is a great app!

Great, great work!

I am finally able to replace the Powerbot app, which was very buggy.

Really like the way we can select/de-select different emails in a conversation.

It fits my workflow in a perfect way.

On 4/12/2016 at 5:33 PM, klliopatra said:

Hello.  I'd like to report a bug.

I am using Evernote for Outlook on Outlook 2016 on Windows 7 Enterprise through my workplace's Office 356 subscription.  Whenever I try to clip an email, the subject line of the email is copied to the title of the new Evernote note.  I often want to add text before the subject line of the email in the Evernote note title.  When I try to type at the beginning of the title of the note in the Evernote for Outlook window, the cursor keeps jumping to the end of the line after every character I type.  Thus, I've had to type my additional text at the end of the line (after the email subject) and then copy and paste that text at the beginning (before the email subject).  Please fix this bug.  Thank you!

Otherwise, this is a great app!

Thanks for the bug report. It'll be fixed.

On 4/17/2016 at 5:22 PM, fredhammersmith said:

Great, great work!

I am finally able to replace the Powerbot app, which was very buggy.

Really like the way we can select/de-select different emails in a conversation.

It fits my workflow in a perfect way.

Many thanks for the feedback, I'll pass it to the team.