How can I rename a shared notebook?

• Level 5*

Hi.  That's similar to DropBox (and probably other services) - if I have a notebook called 'Archive' and share it with someone,  they might already have something similar in their own account and prefer that it be named 'Gaz's Archive'.  I however know it's my archive and don't want someone else messing with my account anyway.  So the naming of notebooks is down to the person in whose account they currently sit.  If you have 'Gaz's Archive' and I have 'Archive' for the same notebook,  this (or any other) difference in names won't affect the fact that the notebook is still shared between us.  If you prefer to follow the same naming system,  get the owner of the notebooks to set up a new note showing the hierarchy and keep it up to date so you can change it when necessary.

Is it just the notebook name that isn't reflected? Do changes to the note body come through? Could it be that you duplicated the original notebook and so it's just a copy. Probably not that... just checking.

Thanks for the responses!

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  That's similar to DropBox (and probably other services) - if I have a notebook called 'Archive' and share it with someone,  they might already have something similar in their own account and prefer that it be named 'Gaz's Archive'.  I however know it's my archive and don't want someone else messing with my account anyway.  So the naming of notebooks is down to the person in whose account they currently sit.  If you have 'Gaz's Archive' and I have 'Archive' for the same notebook,  this (or any other) difference in names won't affect the fact that the notebook is still shared between us.  If you prefer to follow the same naming system,  get the owner of the notebooks to set up a new note showing the hierarchy and keep it up to date so you can change it when necessary.

So I should be able to change it's displayed name from my account? Because currently it doesn't allow me to rename it from my end (the text input field can't be edited).

18 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

Is it just the notebook name that isn't reflected? Do changes to the note body come through? Could it be that you duplicated the original notebook and so it's just a copy. Probably not that... just checking.

Changes to the notes and new notes are correctly synced, it's just the name. 

13 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

Another question: does the Notebook name appear the same online in the Web client and on other platforms (mobile/ desktop clients)?

Hey you solved it! So the notebook appears the same on both web client and mobile client, but difference is I can change the name of the shared notebook on the web client and the changes are reflected throughout my account! Interestingly, the notebook name is locked on my iPhone app (literally an icon of a lock next to the name in the settings), so the web app was the only way to change it. 

Thanks for the help!

Archived