Strange and scary bug...

It has happened to me many times lately, while I am cleaning my financial records, using Evernote as an electronic file cabinet.

I scan all kinds of financial records, put them inside notes.

Well lately, some attachments seems to disappear suddenly. I can see them in the preview pane, but they disappear when I open the notes.

In the status bar, I can still see the reference to the attachment (for instance: PDF:1  Size: 462 KB).

But they just don't appear anymore.

And if I do something like "Simplifier le formattage", hoping to make the display more easy for the program, the attachment won't come back, and suddenly the status bar won't show it anymore.

It happens often when I copy the URL of the note in another note... but it is not the only time it happens.

Any idea?

• Level 5*

I would submit a bug report.

Workaround.  This has happened to me before as well.  To get to the attachment try right clicking in the note and then select save attachment.  I have then added the attachment back into a new note and removed the old note.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, fredhammersmith said:

Well lately, some attachments seems to disappear suddenly. I can see them in the preview pane, but they disappear when I open the notes.

Please do submit a bug report.  This greatly concerns me.  Evernote can't be used if there are issues of data integrity.
I mostly use EN Mac, and have not observed this loss of PDF.  But who knows, maybe there have been some losses I just did not see.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

• Like 1

So I am reporting back, because I've learned something that may be useful to others.

Tech support did not tell me anything specifics, but suggested me a couple of things I might be willing to try.

They are what I would call hidden features, and I am not sure why they are hidden.

If you press CTRL and go to the Help menu, you will find plenty of items in terms of database management.

As my database (15 000 notes) was getting very slow at times, I was about to ask for help in this exact matter.

So here you go.

As far as disappearing PDF files, I'll see if the problem happens again after some database management and report back if this is the case.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

As far as disappearing PDF files, 

You reported this problem for the Windows platform.

Are you able to check the same notes on the web platform to identify if it's a data problem, or specific to Windows?

• Level 5*

Did you try the Save Attachment workaround to see if the attachment was in the note yet not visible.  Another easy way to check is to look at the note size in list view.  Not contesting that the PDF should be visible just trying to see if you can get it back.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the follow up. 

9 hours ago, fredhammersmith said:

As far as disappearing PDF files, I'll see if the problem happens again after some database management and report back if this is the case.

That would be helpful thanks.

• 8 months later...

Back to an old problem.

Created a note from a PDF.

I can "see" the thumnail of th PDF in tje note list.

The status state says: 1 PDF attachment, 5,4 Mb

But the note itself: empty

I tried to simplify the format. Nothing changed.

I went to the web client. Can't see the attchment.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got this EXACT same problem and it's driving me NUTS!

When attaching a PDF file stored on my PC, I can see the PDF in the thumbnail ... but the note itself is BLANK!

HOWEVER ... when I use the clipper to save a PDF file from the web to an Evernote Note it DOES display the PDF inside the note.

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem?

• 1 year later...

I also have this problem. I'm using the windows app on Windows 10.

I am annotating an inline pdf in Evernote using their own annotation tool.

The annotation screen is a separate window that pops up. Sometimes when I am still annotating, the main pdf in the note itself would get updated by itself. At other times, these annotations do not appear automatically..  but then when I quite the annotation window, expecting the main pdf display to update... instead the pdf itself disappears from the note! It still shows in the thumbnail of the notes list.. but then the note itself is blank! There is no way to get the attachment although the note size shows it... I had to go get the previous note version, export it, download the attachment pdf, and then re-insert it into my note... sigh.. not good.. and I lose my last annotations...   why is this such a long standing bug?

• 8 months later...