Ability to Hide Notebooks or Tags

nthdgreee

Premium user here, 

I tend to create Tags or Notebooks based on Logical events. For instance if I were to create a "Cruise 2016"  notebook or tag and place all of those specific items in there, I will have a "one stop" place to find everything related to this. But once that cruise is over I would still want to keep all my info. Chances are I will not use a Cruise 2016 Notebook or Tag again so it would be great if those could be "Hidden" or "Archived" in such a way that they no longer appear in my active list. They would hidden until I wanted to see them.

I realize there are potentially other ways to organize, for instance using key words or "Intitle" type searches to bring up what I need, but sometimes just having a folder (Notebook) to click on makes it easy. 

Thanks for listening.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, nthdgreee said:

Chances are I will not use a Cruise 2016 Notebook or Tag again so it would be great if those could be "Hidden" or "Archived" in such a way that they no longer appear in my active list. They would hidden until I wanted to see them.

I have my tags in a hierarchy with a prefix; for example

- Where

-Cruise 2015

-Cruise 2016

On my desktop taglist, I have the parent tags collapsed.  I only see four parents !What -Where When ?Who

When typing a tag name, for example a person, I start typing ?xxx

I never even see any of the where tags.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, nthdgreee said:

but sometimes just having a folder (Notebook) to click on makes it easy. 

Notebooks are not so easy when you start to reach the limit (250 notebooks vs 10,000 tags), especially if you are creating notebooks that you no longer need.

Creating a tag named Cruise2016 is more powerful, flexible, and gives better search results. A tag can be hidden with a - sign, a notebook cannot be hidden,

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, nthdgreee said:

Chances are I will not use a Cruise 2016 Notebook or Tag again so it would be great if those could be "Hidden"

Could you create a notebook stack "Hidden" and move the notebooks there
When you collapse the stack - they would be ...."Hidden" :)

It's definitely much cleaner to create a hierarchy and organize it like that. I guess I just realized I could've been more specific. On a mobile device when you're assigning a Tag to a new note the nested structure that exists on the desktop version no longer exists in the mobile version. You'll have to scroll through all your Tags, new and old to find what you need. Having the ability to hide unused ones (old ones) would be useful in this part of app software. 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, nthdgreee said:

On a mobile device when you're trying to pick a tag in the list

I know that so well - I set up an extensive hierarchy on my Mac and was shocked to find it all lost when I looked at the iPad.

Regardless, my naming strategy works, I start typing ? and the list is restricted to my who tags

I realize its not what your request was - hide/archive tags
Maybe rename the tag; zzzCruise 2016 would be moved to the bottom of the list

30 minutes ago, DTLow said:
54 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

Notebooks are not so easy when you start to reach the limit (250 notebooks vs 10,000 tags), especially if you are creating notebooks that you no longer need.

Creating a tag named Cruise2016 is more powerful, flexible, and gives better search results. A tag can be hidden with a - sign, a notebook cannot be hidden,

Interesting. Tags are the way I mostly Organize. I have a couple of Notebooks ie. Personal and Business, with multiple Tags that apply to each. My list of Tags is pretty long, especially when using the Tag picker (Android) to assign to a note. They're nested in the main part of the app but not nested when assigning a Tag - this is why I would wish to hide old or unused ones. How does - sign hide a Tag? How is that used?    

• Level 5
14 minutes ago, nthdgreee said:

My list of Tags is pretty long, especially when using the Tag picker (Android) to assign to a note

My latest count of tags (last year) was over 1,400 tags.How do I remember them all? I group similar tags together using a Parent /Child structure. Many of my tags start with a 3 character prefix. I used to run Evernote on my Android phone, but for security reasons, I erased it and only use Evernote on my desktop.

I use a naming convention trick to group my tags for easier memory and maintenance. I use a parent and child structure. Example:

Company

Com-Ford

Com-IBM

Com-Target

Insurance

Ins-Car

Ins-Dental

Ins-House

Ins-Life

Ins-Medical

Personal

Per-Exercise

Per-Gift

Per-House

Here is a link to a forum post on the benefits of tags

4 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

My latest count of tags (last year) was over 1,400 tags.How do I remember them all? I group similar tags together using a Parent /Child structure. Many of my tags start with a 3 character prefix. I used to run Evernote on my Android phone, but for security reasons, I erased it and only use Evernote on my desktop.

I use a naming convention trick to group my tags for easier memory and maintenance. I use a parent and child structure. Example:

Company

Com-Ford

Com-IBM

Com-Target

Insurance

Ins-Car

Ins-Dental

Ins-House

Ins-Life

Ins-Medical

Personal

Per-Exercise

Per-Gift

Per-House

Here is a link to a forum post on the benefits of tags

That's quite a list of Tags. Yeah, so there's the dilemma. On the desktop it's much easier to manage, on mobile, when assigning a note, you have to scroll through almost all of your tags all your tags to get down to "Per-House". Or in my case "Vacation"  sub Cruise 2016. It's this Tag picker that I wish I could pare down to only the ones I'm still using. For now, at least on Android I may just have to suck it up. The list of Tags will be ALL of them no matter how I organize them.     

• Level 5*

When you are done with the tag/notebook you could precede it with zz. or something (zz.ooldtag) and move it to a parent tag of zz.archived.tags for the desktop.  Or whatever names you like.  The tags would at least be at the bottom of the list when assigning a tag on any platform.

10 minutes ago, csihilling said:

When you are done with the tag/notebook you could precede it with zz. or something (zz.ooldtag) and move it to a parent tag of zz.archived.tags for the desktop.  Or whatever names you like.  The tags would at least be at the bottom of the list when assigning a tag on any platform.

That is a great suggestion, basically pushing them all the way to the bottom. It's a workaround to some extent but somewhat reasonable. I'll take a look at implement something like this - at least until they can be hidden. Thank you. 

• 1 year later...

I also need this feature.
In theory, this is not difficult to achieve. Just like css `display: none`, add an item in context menu when right click the tag, after choose it, just hide this tag in the view. No other extra behavior need.

Really hope this feature can added. I do not want to change my tag structure, it is an inconvenient and sloppy move.

Archived