Evernote not ready to accept clips

All of a sudden when I attempt to run Evernote, there is a delay and then I get a popup that says "Evernote is not ready to accept clips. Please open the database and try again."

I am not trying to "clip" anything. Just want to open Evernote. I am running Windows 7. Just did a bunch of windows updates last night so it likely has something to do with that, but why?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Standard process for features that stop working..

1. Log out of everything,  switch your system off and back on again.
  2. Uninstall and reinstall the app that's showing the problem
  3. Step your system back (windows) to a previous boot
  4. Contact Support

Issues do pop up from time to time - computers (and software developers) aren't perfect,  and sometimes things just happen...

• 2 years later...

With all due to respect to superguru gazumped, I will just say that while I have suffered this error myself occasionally, I definitely have NOT had to resort to such arduous steps as rebooting, uninstalling, or especially using Windows restore.

What's worked for me has been much simpler : just kill the Evernote processes. In Windows, do that by opening Windows Task Manager to see the list of running processes (varies a bit per different Windows editions over the years), then sort that list by process name, and just delete (or right-click and choose "end task" on any listed Evernote processes.

In doing that, I have then been able to re-open Evernote, and I've never found that I lost any notes or had any corruption. Still, YMMV and I don't guarantee that this will work for all occurrences of this error. But I would just say that it seems worth trying, before resorting to the more time-consuming steps listed above. :-)

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, carehart said:

What's worked for me has been much simpler : just kill the Evernote processes. In Windows, do that by opening Windows Task Manager to see the list of running processes (varies a bit per different Windows editions over the years), then sort that list by process name, and just delete (or right-click and choose "end task" on any listed Evernote processes.

It's actually easier than that: File / Exit in the Evernote client should do it (or right-click on the Evernote taskbar icon, and select 'Quit Evernote'). This should evidently be step 0.5...

Edit: Hmm, at least the above used to do it; looks like the Evernote Clipper process is still hanging around, even though the screen clipping functionality is not available. You can kill that with Task Manager. Wonder if that's intentional behavior, though...

• Level 5*
On 11/02/2016 at 5:53 PM, gazumped said:

Log out of everything,  switch your system off and back on again.

Hmmn.  I might have been having a bad day a couple of years ago - I agree that's a bit extreme for a first step on an app-based issue.  Logging off and back onto the app would be a first step,  then shutting it down (and checking Task Manager that the app really has gone away) and restarting. 

Mind you I always have been a bit 'take off and nuke it from orbit' on tech fixes...

Archived