Highlights

• Level 5*

Hi.  No.  Can you give us a bit more information about what you're trying to accomplish?  Offhand I can't think of any software that would collate random highlighted text from a series of notes in one place..

I have several notebooks full of long articles that I've made highlights in. It would be nice to have an additional note that would gather all of the highlights, with links to them in the articles. An index of sorts.

• Level 5*

It would be possible to do this in a Wiki set-up.  Parts of various pages (ie your highlights) could be displayed onto an 'index' page,  with links back to the original page;'  but you'd still have to go through each page with highlights and mark the highlighted sections to appear elsewhere. 

It would be possible to do something similar in Evernote - copy your highlighted words into a note,  then create a hyperlink from those words back to the source note,  and for convenience add a link from the source note back to the index page.  In either case it's a lot of work,  and software won't do any of it for you - it's copying,  pasting and creating two-way links for each highlghted section.

At a somewhat lower level of interaction you could copy and paste all your highlighted text into one document,  and run searches for main keywords to find the original notes.

Good luck with your quotes - let us know what you decide to do!

• Level 5*
On 2/15/2016 at 6:33 AM, brishen said:

I have several notebooks full of long articles that I've made highlights in. It would be nice to have an additional note that would gather all of the highlights, with links to them in the articles. An index of sorts.

I agree, that would be very useful.

I don't think it would be that hard to do, since it is just a matter of searching the HTML code for a specific background color of text.

If you, or someone you know, have experience with HTML code and programming, you could probably export the notes to ENEX, and then process the file with your program/script.
OR
If you are using a Mac, you could use AppleScript to  process all of the Notes in a NB, reading the HTML code, and searching for the highlights.  If you know both AppleScript and HTML code, this could be done with a modest amount of effort.

Archived