Constantly kicked out of encrypted text area

I'm running Evernote for Windows v5.9.6.9494 and have recently started using the "Encrypt Selected Text" function. When writing inside an encrypted text block, I find that I get repeatedly kicked out of it (approximately every couple of minutes, but the timing seems to be random). In mid-flow, the encrypted area will close and the caret will be positioned back at the beginning of the document. This seems to happen whenever the note is marked for update with the blue update flag. At that point I have to remove any text that might have been typed outside the area, open it up again, find my position again and carry on typing from where I left off. As you can imagine that's annoying almost to the point of making the feature unusable, so I'm hoping there's a fix in the pipeline or some workaround.

Any ideas?

Hit similar issue with other aspects.

I use encrypted notes on a very limited basis. When I bought a very high resolution laptop 2 years ago, I ran into issues with how EN displayed - as in very, very tiny. I fixed that issue but in my encrypted notes, the font sizes were all messed up - some items larger, in some cases letters in the same text string jumped 2-3 points in size...

Since I have always felt that formatting in EN sucks and have said so only to get some EN apologist to say that they are working on "other things". I am working on moving to MS OneNote... Enough sidebar.

My immediate issue was an attempt to fix the above font sizes by selecting text and using the font size drop down to change the font. My to my surprise it simply tossed me out of the note as you have described. First thought was that I was inaccurate in selecting the font size so I tried it several times to no avail. Then, to my horror, I saw that the selected text for re-sizing had vanished!!! Great.

I mucked around a bit - then removed the note encryption entirely - and then found that in my attempt to fix the note that EN had "duplicated" the entire note text within the note all with strike out - three times that I can see. I know this happened as when I was trying to resize fonts, I had directly typed in some new text (which was duplicated and struck out as well.

I cannot share this note as it has sensitive info in it.

This is unacceptable behavior in a widely used product. I will be amazed to get a helpful response. BTW: my EN versions are current.

• Level 5*

Workaround.  You can check the Remember passphrase until I quit Evernote option when you open the note and it should stay open.  Downside is it will stay open until you quit. 

So if you have a lot of editing to do check the box, open the note in its own window, do your editing and when done File - Exit (not x out).  FWIW.

Since there is a limited number of Notes that I have encrypted and usually only open them at home, I almost always select the remember the passphrase until I quit. That would not appear to fix my issue...

• Level 5*

As this issue involves confidential data I'd strongly suggest that you raise a support request direct with Evernote.  Submit a lost data report by choosing "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

You might also like to try alternative forms of encryption such as Saferoom

If you can work in another app - a word-processor for instance - it might also be a useful work-around to attach the output file for the document to the note,  and decrypt that for editing.  The file will remain open in your editing software and can be saved back into the note when you finish editing.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, lhim said:

Since there is a limited number of Notes that I have encrypted and usually only open them at home, I almost always select the remember the passphrase until I quit. That would not appear to fix my issue...

Do you then open the note in its own window?  I've only done this a few times when I had major edits to perform, but the note did stay open for the period of the edit.  And this was after the same frustrations as listed above re the note closing and location/typing being lost.

I did not double click the encrypt so I opened it in the right side EN window as I usually do.

The idea of attaching a file to EN that itself is protected - by a 3rd party app - is likely the best way to go as gazumpped suggested.

• 3 years later...

I am too having this same issue. I totally agree with MissingSemicolon. Totally makes evernote useless to me. Encrypted feature is the only reason I use Evernote.

"Workaround.  You can check the Remember passphrase until I quit Evernote option when you open the note and it should stay open.  Downside is it will stay open until you quit. " by CalS (Did you even try this yourself CalS)

I have done this CalS and it still  keeps closing. When I click back on the note it returns to the top of the the note and I have to scroll down to where I left off, and not to the end, this is so unproductive. Sometimes I lose data as well. If Evernote could remember my last position when I return, then this would not be a problem for me. If I alt-tab to another program, copy or view my data, then alt-tab back to evernote it will have closed my encrypted note, within the timeframe of a couple seconds. This almost happens ALL THE TIME.

P lease Please Evernote, fix this.

I am using the desktop application version 6.17.6.8292 (308292) Public (CE Build ce-62.1.7539) for windows 7

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, RobinWould said:

Did you even try this yourself CalS

Relatively insulting question, thank you.

You mention back to the note.  Two separate issues, encrypted text closing and maintaining position when leaving/returning to a note. 

1. Remember passphrase keeps the encrypted text open for me in any case when editing.  Double click will open the encrypted text from that point forward. 
  2. Returning to the same spot in a note is another kettle of fish of which there are numerous posts on this forum requesting a change.

Archived