Smart Notebooks

Hel10s

Idea

One thing I would love to see is the ability to create a "Smart Notebook", or a notebook or stack based on search criteria. Essentially, we would be able to create a notebook that is based on either a search or tag(s). There are often notes that I take, or websites I capture, that would fall under multiple notebooks for multiple projects. Being able to put a note about underwater photography in my "Photography" notebook, and then create a new Smart Notebook under my ecotourism project stack that would have those pages I tagged as "Photography" and "Diving", as well as a search for the term "camera housing".

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Hel10s said:

One thing I would love to see is the ability to create a "Smart Notebook", or a notebook or stack based on search criteria. Essentially, we would be able to create a notebook that is based on either a search or tag(s).

I don't use notebooks like that; however smart tagging would be a useful feature.

Some platforms have a smart filing feature.  I haven't turned it on - I don't want anything automatically moved out of my inbox

38 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I don't use notebooks like that; however smart tagging would be a useful feature.

Some platforms have a smart filing feature.  I haven't turned it on - I don't want anything automatically moved out of my inbox

That would actually be the beauty of this type of Smart Notebook... It doesn't actually move anything at all. Think about if you use the search feature in Evernote. The Smart Notebook would essentially be that search, saved and displayed as a notebook.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Hel10s said:

There are often notes that I take, or websites I capture, that would fall under multiple notebooks

And that is the downside of using notebooks for organization.  Tags solve this.

Have you looked at saved searches?  Granted the boolean syntax is limited.
(We crossed posts on this - I see you mentioned saved searches in your second posting)

• Level 5*

Hi.  Can you explain your proposed use case in more detail please?  I don't see why you wouldn't just tag your clip on underwater photography with <photography>, <diving>, and <camera housing> to have it pop up whenever you did a search on those terms.  Your 'smart notebooks' could surely be replaced by simple saved searches.  ??

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Can you explain your proposed use case in more detail please?  I don't see why you wouldn't just tag your clip on underwater photography with <photography>, <diving>, and <camera housing> to have it pop up whenever you did a search on those terms.  Your 'smart notebooks' could surely be replaced by simple saved searches.  ??

You could for a basic search, but let's say you want to search for multiple tags, and a search term. Or you also want to limit that search to select notebooks. The idea is that you may have notes in separate notebooks, but that would all go together for a project. In that case, I could go back through and re-tag all those notes, but this idea would be simpler. A Smart Notebook is a saved search (with the ability for complex search queries)... it would just appear as a notebook with all the others.

• Level 5*

Maybe I'm just not getting this,  but combining a saved search with new elements is easy - run the saved search and then search within that selection for the extra term(s) - or do it the other way around if the new term is more significant.  And while there's no guarantee that an article on underwater photography will use the word 'camera',  it very probably will - so tags for <photography> <underwater> and <camera> are superfluous in that context - a standard search for those terms will find plenty of hits. 

Pulling together a series of notes for a new project is just a matter of searching for relevant keywords.  Evernote will already suggest additional notes that may have the same context

I don't need Evernote to copy notes into a separate notebook - the search hits can be copied into a Table of Contents note so I can work through them as necessary. 

The suggestion is made however - the Devs are smarter than I am;  it's their job to work out whether this is a good idea and if so,  how to do it...:)

Archived