Jump to content
  • 5
Stephane Lo

New Evernote for Windows 5.9.7 Beta

Idea

Hey everyone! My name is Stéphane and I am the new product manager for Evernote Windows. Justin is still around and will spend more time on the Android side of things.
 
 
Before the release notes, I want to take a minute to provide a brief update. 
 
The Windows application has many of our most active and engaged customers; people like yourselves, that love and rely on the product, and sometimes even know its intricacies and workarounds better than we do! As such, we deeply value your feedback, ideas, and opinions. This forum is the place where we will listen, and gather ideas to shape our roadmap. 
 
We have been quiet in the last couple of months, and our team has been hard at work to make fundamental improvements to the core experience. Rest assured that we are committed to make this product the best it can be. Bigger changes are coming and we can't wait to show you more than this rough sneak peek.
 
For now, we have a beta containing many fixes and under-the-hood reliability improvements. We’d greatly appreciate if you can try it out and help us catch issues before we roll this out. Then, stay tuned in the coming weeks for a private beta of what we've been up to!
 
Our deepest thanks,
 
- the Windows team

---

A new beta version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here
**Edit: the DLL error message on upgrade from 5.9.6 has been resolved in the updated download link. **
 
 
Improvements
  • Better handling of CJK languages in search
  • Search now returns more consistent search results, across Evernote applications
  • Fixed multiple sync and performance issues
  • Notebook selector displays much faster to quickly jump between notebooks
 
Fixed:
  • Crash when viewing specific PDFs within notes
  • Bug that caused a sync error icon to show unexpectedly
  • Bug when moving a pasted image within a note made it broken
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Recommended Posts

  • 0
7 minutes ago, pepr said:

The tittle dissappear suddenly, my god...

I think we may need a little more detail than that...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2/6/2016 at 7:31 PM, Stephane Lo said:

Hey everyone! My name is Stéphane and I am the new product manager for Evernote Windows.

@Stephane Lo, where are you?   Are you still with us?

Your one and only post was on Feb 6.  It has now been over a month.  If you are going to be an effective product manager for EN Win, then we will need to see and hear from you more often.

EN-Win-Stephane.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, EdH said:

This is a Windows problem. App developers can work around it, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but Windows was never designed to run properly at these insane resolutions

Ed, your assertion is not supported by the very reference you gave:

From your Ref: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/LivingAHighDPIDesktopLifestyleCanBePainful.aspx 

Quote

You can say all this talk of High-DPI is a problem with Windows, but I think it's a problem with the app developers. The documentation is clear on High-DPI and developers need to test, include appropriate resources or don't claim to support high-dpi.

 

4 hours ago, EdH said:

Even MS hasn't, and likely won't for a long time, move Office apps to the new UI.

According to your reference, MS Office works fine:

Quote

Word 2013 and all of Office look great at High-DPI. They've got great icons, great fonts and generally are awesome.

I have no doubt that Microsoft has made support of the high-res screens much harder that it need be.
None the less, Evernote seems to be falling far short of providing the high-res support that they should.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

The old Windows API is too difficult to easily work with for high res screens. Developers need to do 10 times as much work as necessary to get it to work. This isn't the case with the modern UI.

I never said Office didn't look fine. Office 2016 looks great. Obviously MS developers did spend the time to get it to look right. What I said, that you quoted and still didn't understand apparently, is MS hasn't and likely won't for a long time move office apps to the new UI. What I meant by that is MS hasn't and likely won't for a long time move office apps to the new UI. If you diagram that sentence, you'll find that the underlying meaning is MS has't and likely won't for a long time move office apps over to the new UI.

I think by the MASSIVE amount of "classic" apps that look like ***** on high res Windows 10 screens, there is clearly something extraordiinarly difficult, tedius, and/or time consuming for developers to get their apps to look right on all of the rapidly exploding volume of pixel-dense screens.

But maybe you are right. MS did it all correctly, and all of these developers are just lazy, inept, unskilled, or some combination of these. Or maybe not given how MS threw in the "DPI Magnification" hack in the control panel.

 

10 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

I have no doubt that Microsoft has made support of the high-res screens much harder that it need be.
None the less, Evernote seems to be falling far short of providing the high-res support that they should.

Excellent thought. If only I had thought of that earlier to make my post more clear.

Oh wait... I did. :mellow:

5 hours ago, EdH said:

Not saying EN doesn't have work to do or bear some responsiblity for letting the app out as it is without really tuning for high-res screens, but MS hasn't made it easy at all.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
55 minutes ago, EdH said:

But maybe you are right. MS did it all correctly, and all of these developers are just lazy, inept, unskilled, or some combination of these. Or maybe not given how MS threw in the "DPI Magnification" hack in the control panel.

I never said nor implied that, and you know it.  Given that you won't even accept my agreement with you, in some cases, I see no point in continuing this discussion.  Have a nice day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
hace 8 horas, JMichaelTX dijo:

@Stephane Lo, where are you?   Are you still with us?

Your one and only post was on Feb 6.  It has now been over a month.

I wanted to write about this too. One month, more than 100 messages and not a single answer, nor new version.... In the meantime I saw 3 betas and 1 stable release in the Mac version... That just keep convincing me that evernote will never receive the love it deserves in Windows:(.

My only hope is that after this long wait we finally see the number 6 in Evernote for Windows.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
13 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

@Stephane Lo, where are you?   Are you still with us?

Your one and only post was on Feb 6.  It has now been over a month.  If you are going to be an effective product manager for EN Win, then we will need to see and hear from you more often.

EN-Win-Stephane.png

Sure it would have been nice to get some more updates, but it's plain disrespectful to tell the guy what needs to be done for him to do his job. And he can surely be an effective product manager without posting on internet forums.. You must have his job title confused with something else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
7 hours ago, nicobro88 said:

I wanted to write about this too. One month, more than 100 messages and not a single answer, nor new version.... In the meantime I saw 3 betas and 1 stable release in the Mac version... That just keep convincing me that evernote will never receive the love it deserves in Windows:(.

My only hope is that after this long wait we finally see the number 6 in Evernote for Windows.

I agree. I have been checking most days on this topic too see if Stephane would post again to answer some questions posted to him but nothing. I don't understand why make the original introduction if you are not going to go back on the forum at least once a fortnight to see what the users are saying..

It does seem like more resources have been pumped in to the Mac version. It is taking a long, long time to get this beta out.. Maybe I should buy a Mac?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Manya70 said:

I agree. I have been checking most days on this topic too see if Stephane would post again to answer some questions posted to him but nothing. I don't understand why make the original introduction if you are not going to go back on the forum at least once a fortnight to see what the users are saying..

It does seem like more resources have been pumped in to the Mac version. It is taking a long, long time to get this beta out.. Maybe I should buy a Mac?

 

The Mac version is definitely more refined. I much prefer to use my Mac than my Surface Pro 4 when it comes to Evernote. There are a few issues with the Mac version:

  1. double clicking on a PDF does mostly nothing. You have to right-click to open in an outside client.
  2. It will not merge notes in the order selected. It only merges in the order modified, so you have to modify each note in the order you want the merge to happen. Royal pain. SO much so more often than not, I just put the notes in a temp folder and merge them when I get to my SP4.

But the Windows version is really unusable to me. I constantly get the (not responding) in the title bar when typing or doing any kind of editing. At work, I usually open the website and use that. That is how bad the Windows client is for me.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Thanks everyone for the feedback on 5.9.7 beta 1! I've been reading the replies as they come. A lot of good points made, and I definitely hear the call out about being more active on the forum. 

The team has been focused on our upcoming v6 client, with many improvements to the overall experience of Evernote. Among them:

  • HDPI support !
  • Cleaner and more efficient navigation 
  • Improved and assisted search
  • and many more.

We’ve started collecting early feedback in a limited private beta the past couple of weeks and we’d like to invite more of you into our private beta!

If you are already have access to the private area, give our latest v6.0 beta 2 a try.

For more context on the changes of v6, we recommend you read this original v6.0 beta 1 post first.

If these links don’t work for you, you’ll need to apply for the private beta first.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Sounds like my birthday came early!  I know a lot of people are going to be very happy - provided everything works OK.. :)  I look forward to seeing this live.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Stephane Lo said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback on 5.9.7 beta 1! I've been reading the replies as they come. A lot of good points made, and I definitely hear the call out about being more active on the forum. 

@Stephane Lo, it's great to hear from you!  Thanks for sharing the info on the beta updates.  Please don't be a stranger.  ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hi Stephane Lo,

On 3/10/2016 at 8:17 PM, Stephane Lo said:

The team has been focused on our upcoming v6 client, with many improvements to the overall experience of Evernote. Among them:

  • HDPI support !
  • Cleaner and more efficient navigation 
  • Improved and assisted search
  • and many more.

We’ve started collecting early feedback in a limited private beta the past couple of weeks and we’d like to invite more of you into our private beta!

The upcoming v6 client news is great to hear. v5 is showing signs of age - slowing down! There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern that I have been able to capture, but I am getting frequent freezes without any signs on the GUI or in the log. If that can be fixed that would be great! I would love to have more info on the timeline for the next release (this quarter, 2nd quarter? With MS releasing a way of importing notes directly into OneNote, maybe additional resources should be put into an early release of a "healthy" Evernote 6.0 before many people abandon this platform. I have too much time and effort invested in Evernote to be one of them!

I also hope the editor is improved further - I have problems with line spacing and font sizes when using the Clip to Evernote extension in Chrome. The old way of clipping worked much better (up until sometime in 2015).

I would love to be part of the beta team, but I really don't have the time to be able to really test anything - for me the public betas have been great, provided those who do have the ability to contribute to the squashing of database-corrupting bugs continue to do so before the public beta stage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, FactMan said:

but I am getting frequent freezes without any signs on the GUI or in the log. If that can be fixed that would be great!

Amen. this has been a problem since 4.x. My UI does how (not responding) in the header, but that is Windows doing it. EN shows no sign it is busy. It just freezes until it is done messing with the database.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 10/03/2016 at 0:17 PM, Stephane Lo said:

The team has been focused on our upcoming v6 client, with many improvements to the overall experience of Evernote. Among them:

  • HDPI support !
  • Cleaner and more efficient navigation 
  • Improved and assisted search
  • and many more.

We’ve started collecting early feedback in a limited private beta the past couple of weeks and we’d like to invite more of you into our private beta!

 

Hi Stephane,

Thanks for your post. I would love to be a beta tester and filled out the form, so lets see. I have recently been frustrated by the perceived lack of progress and I guess lack of news on the v6 beta.  

I had actually made the decision to move to One Note. Looks great, Colours, and can move the pages where I want. The first notebooks imported fine into OneNote but not my big one with 1500 notes.. spent 2 days trying to get them imported meanwhile got intermittent crash's, sluggish performance and syncs that ran all night without finishing. I then found that Microsoft released a new Evernote to Onenote import program which I installed on my PC. It ran for about 2 minutes then gave me a message saying an error occurred, "Try Copy and Paste the notes manually". Well that did it for me. 48 hours of my life that I wont get back..  

So, I'm back with Evernote, grey colours, and one or two irritations,  but a fast, solid and reliable service that has rarely let me done in 5 years that I have been using it...My birthday is coming up in May, so maybe I can get an early birthday present; V6 beta access. :-)          

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 minutes ago, Manya70 said:

I had actually made the decision to move to One Note. Looks great, Colours, and can move the pages where I want.

There is ABSOLUTELY no doubt in my mind, OneNote is visually more appealing as I can use colors to help distinguish things. Evernote's increasing use of gray, lighter gray, and white, is making it look more like Notepad.exe than a productivity app.

Functionally though, OneNote lacks too many features, tags being the big one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, EdH said:

There is ABSOLUTELY no doubt in my mind, OneNote is visually more appealing as I can use colors to help distinguish things. Evernote's increasing use of gray, lighter gray, and white, is making it look more like Notepad.exe than a productivity app.

Functionally though, OneNote lacks too many features, tags being the big one.

 

I have access to OneNote on my virtual desktop at work. It is OK for a small number of notes, but for the 15000 notes I have it would be a disaster in trying to organize them. I hate several things about it, but I am learning that I really love the tags in Evernote. It took a long time to get them set up, but the ability to narrow down the list of notes in a category (and check that they are in the correct notebook) is a wonderful time saver. I agree that colors would be useful, but it is not a game changer for me. Oh, and the version of OneNote that comes with Windows 10 is a disaster compared with Evernote! Maybe it would be better if I upgraded to 10 Pro, but why bother?!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, FactMan said:

I have access to OneNote on my virtual desktop at work. It is OK for a small number of notes, but for the 15000 notes I have it would be a disaster in trying to organize them. I hate several things about it, but I am learning that I really love the tags in Evernote. It took a long time to get them set up, but the ability to narrow down the list of notes in a category (and check that they are in the correct notebook) is a wonderful time saver. I agree that colors would be useful, but it is not a game changer for me. Oh, and the version of OneNote that comes with Windows 10 is a disaster compared with Evernote! Maybe it would be better if I upgraded to 10 Pro, but why bother?!

OneNote in Windows 10 is useless. OneNote 2016 is not. I use it as my primary work note system, partially because I want to keep work/personal separate, and partially because we have an Office 365 account and the Sharepoint integration with OneNote is very handy.

But tags are the major deal breaker for my personal stuff. Hands down, EN clobbers ON in this regard.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

bug: when you open an encrypted text and select a word to add a URL (qith ctrl+k) this is pasted out of the encrypted text.

 

best regards,

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Odd Outlook bug.  When I clip an email I get an Outlook Window to allow me to edit the title,  add tags etc.  When editing the title,  if I use <spacebar> anywhere,  focus in the main window jumps to the next email in the main window and I can't edit the Outlook Clipper Window details any further.  I need to click back on the email in Outlook that I just clipped,  then I get the clipper window open for editing again...

Multiple email selection is good though... B)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 3/12/2016 at 10:43 AM, EdH said:

Amen. this has been a problem since 4.x. My UI does how (not responding) in the header, but that is Windows doing it. EN shows no sign it is busy. It just freezes until it is done messing with the database.

Thank you, EdH. I simplified formatting on all of my 15,300 notes and it has almost stopped the freezing problem. Only issue with that is that I know for some (mostly older) notes that had tables in them, those tables will probably be gone now. However, I think I prefer the faster operation of Evernote! I sure hope this is fixed in 6.0!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
41 minutes ago, FactMan said:

I simplified formatting on all of my 15,300 notes and it has almost stopped the freezing problem

How in the world did you do that? One at a time?

Not sure why that would cause the database to work any differently, though it might get a bit smaller with less formatting information. Still, shouldn't be necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, FactMan said:

Only issue with that is that I know for some (mostly older) notes that had tables in them, those tables will probably be gone now

Have you checked your notes with tables?  In EN Mac Simplify Formatting preserves the tables, but simplifies the format of the table contents.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 hours ago, EdH said:

How in the world did you do that? One at a time?

Not sure why that would cause the database to work any differently, though it might get a bit smaller with less formatting information. Still, shouldn't be necessary.

Select all the notes, then format/simplify formatting. There was definitely something up, but it is not all fixed. When I search on "table" I get 1105 results, but Evernote froze for several minutes. Newer notes look like they have retained the formatting, but I found one note from 2014 that had the table destroyed which may reflect when there were changes to the editor. I did not look for others.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 16.3.2016 at 1:02 AM, gazumped said:

Odd Outlook bug.  When I clip an email I get an Outlook Window to allow me to edit the title,  add tags etc.  When editing the title,  if I use <spacebar> anywhere,  focus in the main window jumps to the next email in the main window and I can't edit the Outlook Clipper Window details any further.  I need to click back on the email in Outlook that I just clipped,  then I get the clipper window open for editing again...

Multiple email selection is good though... B)

I experienced the same problem. Workaround is to turn off "Single key reading using space bar" in Outlook. Found in Options/Mail/Outlook Panes - Reading Pane.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:56 AM, nicobro88 said:

Actually this is possible right now. Don't know if there's a button or menu option, but the Ctrl+Shift+F5 shortcut toggles between top and right list view panel. Hope you can do that in your tablet...

ok, this worked. Fortunately I don't need to switch it because using shortcuts like that on tablet is difficult without popping my fingers out of the joints

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:02 PM, EdH said:

I have a Surface Pro 4, and when using the touchpad, it should simulate a scroll wheel when using two fingers. So a two finger swipe up will scroll Chrome down for example, as if I were pushing the web page up.

When in Evernote in list view, this doesn't work. It sucketh mightily. it forces me to go grab the skinny scroll bar on the right.

Is this unique to the SP4 (the gods of Windows know the SP4 has its issues) or do others experience this with a trackpad that has similar shortcuts?

you can install TabletPro - TouchMousePointer. It kind of provides solution. Note - you can resize the artist pad and the side panel to size you want.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 minutes ago, cssyzesv said:

you can install TabletPro - TouchMousePointer. It kind of provides solution. Note - you can resize the artist pad and the side panel to size you want.

or they could fix it. It works fine in the note view and notebook list. It is just the list view in the upper right that doesn't work correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:00 AM, nicobro88 said:
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:43 AM, EdH said:

Amen. this has been a problem since 4.x. My UI does how (not responding) in the header, but that is Windows doing it. EN shows no sign it is busy. It just freezes until it is done messing with the database.

I wanted to write about this too. One month, more than 100 messages and not a single answer, nor new version.... In the meantime I saw 3 betas and 1 stable release in the Mac version... That just keep convincing me that evernote will never receive the love it deserves in Windows:(.

My only hope is that after this long wait we finally see the number 6 in Evernote for Windows.

Yes, that was issue on Windows since 4.x and version 5.x (I believe 5.7 and up) made it a bit faster but still holdups when doing searches, when I type something in search box it stops responding sometimes for 5seconds sometimes 30seconds!! Before it releases and I can continue finish typing what I'm searching for.

I was hopping this would be no longer issue with version 6; but it looks like this update is more about user interface. Compared to version 6 on OSX ithat received massive updates both on interface and database. I'm both Windows 7 user, Windows 10(tablet) user, and OSX user plus I also use Android tablet and iOS phone and tablet on daily basis not to mention my Chromebook.

I have to say Windows application of EN well designed when it was released years back but it shows signs of age. I admit at that time I used to complain to the CEO of Evernote about the OSX version not being as capable as Windows version. Well I guess my voice was heard, that's good, but now is the time to fix the Windows app. ☺

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:38 PM, EdH said:

There is ABSOLUTELY no doubt in my mind, OneNote is visually more appealing as I can use colors to help distinguish things. Evernote's increasing use of gray, lighter gray, and white, is making it look more like Notepad.exe than a productivity app.

Functionally though, OneNote lacks too many features, tags being the big one.

 

I follow the OneNote as well and by reading the community there it looks like OneNote has major issue and many users voice their opinion about major redesign update for OneNote is required - some demanding redesign from scratch.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Stéphane,

Do we get access to 5.9.8 Beta here or 6.0 beta here?  I'm kind of a bit lazy to go through registration. Once I register, do I get access to download directly, or do I need to wait for approval and then get email with download link?

When I press check for updates I get version 5.9.8 Public available but that's the classic version I guess.

Please post the links for 6.0 beta here, make it easy for the lazy folks among us and please don't make us wait ☺

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 minutes ago, cssyzesv said:

Stéphane,

Do we get access to 5.9.8 Beta here or 6.0 beta here?  I'm kind of a bit lazy to go through registration. Once I register, do I get access to download directly, or do I need to wait for approval and then get email with download link?

When I press check for updates I get version 5.9.8 Public available but that's the classic version I guess.

Please post the links for 6.0 beta here, make it easy for the lazy folks among us and please don't make us wait ☺

Oh, hey sorry, I should have checked, I didn't know this was posted already. Thanks, ignore this.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
11 minutes ago, cssyzesv said:

Oh, hey sorry, I should have checked, I didn't know this was posted already. Thanks, ignore this.

Be sure you are registered and have access to beta 6 forum. Beta 6 isn't feature complete. A few missing things. Not a big deal for me, but if you are 100% immersed in Evernote to get things done, you might be miffed until they are a bit further along.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I signed up for the beta thing some time back... How lucky do I need to be to get accepted to this VIP club?

I've been participating in the beta for iOS and Penultimate for ages... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...