Fixed tags for searching (Feature request)

I am a happy evernote user, and I think the tags are a well functioning feature, and use them a lot.

I Have a large number of notes in evernote, all around the same subject. These notes have many different tags.
But there are 3 tags in particular, where 1 of them and only one, is assigned to every note.

Lets call the 3 tags   2014, 2015 and 2016

When I search, I often have the need to search for notes with one of the tags, and to continue doing that for the entire day.
At the same time, I also have the need to search all notes except notes with one specific tag. (eg "yellow")

I am aware that I can search with tag:2015  and -tag:yellow, but what would be really nice is a possibility to set one or multiple "sticky tags" to be used in all searches.
Then I could set the sticky search string to tag:2015 -tag;yellow  and whatever new search I then made would only include notes with the tag "2015" and never the tag "yellow"

The sticky search string should be easy to clear or change. and could be a searchbox next to the regular searchbox.

This would save me a lot of typing in the search box.

Regard

11 minutes ago, csihilling said:

In the meantime you could use something like PhaseExpress to create some hotkeys that represented your "sticky" searches.  Or used saved searches.

Thanks
I do use saved searches, works but not as easy and seamless as the "Sticky search" would . also I would have to create new ones all the time.
Have not heard of PhaseExpress, will check it out, to see what it can do.

• Level 5*

I'm not affiliated with PE in any way.  I just find it to be a helpful tool for any kind of repetitive keyboard task, which can happen within EN.  For example I created some reminder searches, an example being Shift-Ctrl-W returns all reminders for the next week.  A lot simpler than typing the date parameters into EN.  :)

Good luck.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Homegrown said:

When I search, I often have the need to search for notes with one of the tags, and to continue doing that for the entire day.
At the same time, I also have the need to search all notes except notes with one specific tag. (eg "yellow")

I am aware that I can search with tag:2015  and -tag:yellow, but what would be really nice is a possibility to set one or multiple "sticky tags" to be used in all searches.

I totally get what you want to do, and some enhancement to Evernote would be helpful.

Until/IF Evernote provides this feature, I have found this approach to work very well:

• Create a Saved Search that has the base tag (or other search criteria) set at the beginning, and then add a Search qualifier without the text at the end
  • When you run this search, it ignores the Search qualifier at the end
  • For Example:
    tag:2015 -tag:  
  • The results of this search are the same as
    tag:2015 
  • Then when you want to add more search criteria, just type yellow for example.  So you now have 
    tag:2015 -tag:yellow

I have used this approach with other Search qualifiers, and they all seem to work fine.  For example:
tag:SW.AppleScript intitle:  

BTW, this is how Search works in EN Mac 6.4.  I have NOT tested it in EN Win, EN Web, or elsewhere.

HTH.

12 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Create a Saved Search that has the base tag (or other search criteria) set at the beginning, and then add a Search qualifier without the text at the end

Thank you :-)
I also do this, and it is a help but still not as easy as my suggestion :-)

I use combinations of saved searches, all the time, but find that If I have too many saved searches it takes too long to select the one I need.

Archived