Clearly is unsupported no more, but Web Clipper doesn't provide the same solutions

PH

Idea

As we know Clearly is no longer supported and is suggested to be replaced by Web Clipper.

But I've found Web Clipper does not provide the same uniform formatting funtionality like Clearly does.

Many webpages were clipped with backgound colour enable, which is undesirable.

I am aware of the "simplify formatting" funtionality, but it also takes away all the text formatting, which I want to keep.

The Web Clipper just doesn't provide the kind of uniform formatting feature like with Clearly.

10 replies to this idea

I have run several tests using Clearly and the Evernote Web Clipper using both Firefox and Chrome. Clearly, comes out the winner each time, two fewer clicks using Clearly and very consistent formatting. I do not have to tell Clearly, where to stop or start in the selection process, and it captures all of the information, including the photos in the article. If the company continues to remove this product, I feel that several unintended consequences will result in this unwise action!
Regards,
David in Wichita

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, ClutterBGone said:

I have run several tests using Clearly and the Evernote Web Clipper using both Firefox and Chrome. Clearly, comes out the winner each time

I see no reason why Evernote shouldn't just combine the two into one product, allowing the user to set the default view:  for reading or for clipping.

17 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I see no reason why Evernote shouldn't just combine the two into one product, allowing the user to set the default view:  for reading or for clipping.

That would be just too simple! The world does not run on simple and what works well anymore!

I can saw they were going crazy with too many futile projects - food etc. Penultimate.  There is a need to get back to the basics. Maybe they can upgrade Clipper - as Clearly was superior for reading - often for clipping!  In chrome on the mac anyway.

I understand why Clearly was dropped, as it duplicated much of what the Clipper does.

However, I really miss the ability to PRINT the Simplified version directly from the pop-up dialog/confirmation. Now I have to save the clip, go to Evernote (either local or web version) and print the new note. Often I don't even want to create a new note; I just want a printout. This applies to email clips and Selected clips as well.

I want to chime in with my frustration at the discontinuation of Clearly. It was a vastly superior product to the supposedly equivalent functionality added to Clipper.

I used Clearly a LOT every day since it was released and had come to depend on it as part of my workflow. When I upgraded computers I was angry to see it missing from the Chrome toolbar. If I'd known I would have stuck with the old system just to keep the Clearly extension.

Aside from the fact that the Web Clipper "Simplified Article" function is more clicks to get to, it's also quite inferior in functionality. Worst of all it traps the created content in the Evernote ecosystem. With Clearly I was able to print it's output simply from the browser. Clippers output has to be sent to Evernote first.

As a Premium customer since Evernote was first released, I feel justified in complaining about this very customer unfriendly decision by the company. 

Evernote team: Either bring back Clearly, or at least migrate it's entire algorithm and functionality into Web Clipper! 

Archived