Image Annotation

Is there support for Image and PDF annotation support on Android 6.0.1 tablets and phones?  Per this link https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005587-How-to-annotate-images-and-PDFs-in-Evernote there is supposedd to be this support, but the annotate icon is not present when opening an image from a note.  I am a premier member, the account settings indicate so, but I canot do any annotation on an Android 6.0.1 device.  Is there another app that needs to be installed? 

I have version 7.5.1 installed on the tablet, Nexus 9.

I can annotate from the Windows app, but I really need to annotate on the tablet for business reasons.  Please help.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Have you tried uninstall / restart device / reinstalling the app?  Can you read PDF files on your tablet outside of Evernote?  AFAIK You should be able to use the annotation feature,  but even if that's not possible within Evernote there are other apps that can open the files and allow you to add comments...

Hello @Inzt,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums. If you were a user of Skitch and still have it installed you can annotate images with this from your Nexus 9.

When annotating PDF's on Android, you will want to turn to Adobe Acrobat Reader and then share the annotated PDF back into your Evernote through the share option.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any questions.

• 4 weeks later...

That doesn't help me.

Using Android, if I create a picture in Evernote and edit it skitch launches. This is how it has always been on my phones through all previous versions of Evernote. I can annotate the image in skitch. When I hit save, it asks me where I want to save it. I choose Evernote. In the past, the image would save as normal to Evernote. Now, however, this action creates a new uneditable note. This is really frustrating, because in the past, the notes could be edited with accompanying text.

For example, I do home improvement work and Evernote is critical for that. I used to be able to take a picture with Evernote. I'd tap to edit it in Skitch and mark up my pictures. A great example is my son's closet where I installed built-in shelves. I used skitch to record the dimensions of the closet. That image would save back to that note where I had a checklist of all the pieces that needed to be purchased at Home Depot. This is no longer possible.

Most recently I had to repair gables in my home. I used the app to mark the measurements of the gable vents. When I saved the picture back to Evernote it created an entirely new note and there is no way for me to embed the annotated image with my shopping list or other notes related to the repair.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be saving skitched notes back differently to Evernote? I understand that skitch is a discontinued app. Has its functionality been placed into Evernote proper?

On 10/03/2016 at 6:28 PM, jmint0 said:

That doesn't help me.

Using Android, if I create a picture in Evernote and edit it skitch launches. This is how it has always been on my phones through all previous versions of Evernote. I can annotate the image in skitch. When I hit save, it asks me where I want to save it. I choose Evernote. In the past, the image would save as normal to Evernote. Now, however, this action creates a new uneditable note. This is really frustrating, because in the past, the notes could be edited with accompanying text.

For example, I do home improvement work and Evernote is critical for that. I used to be able to take a picture with Evernote. I'd tap to edit it in Skitch and mark up my pictures. A great example is my son's closet where I installed built-in shelves. I used skitch to record the dimensions of the closet. That image would save back to that note where I had a checklist of all the pieces that needed to be purchased at Home Depot. This is no longer possible.

Most recently I had to repair gables in my home. I used the app to mark the measurements of the gable vents. When I saved the picture back to Evernote it created an entirely new note and there is no way for me to embed the annotated image with my shopping list or other notes related to the repair.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be saving skitched notes back differently to Evernote? I understand that skitch is a discontinued app. Has its functionality been placed into Evernote proper?

I've given up trying to use annotating in any version of Evernote.  Instead, I know use a free PDF Reader and Editor called Xodo, which can be found on Google play.  Then I Share, using android's native Share Function, any PDF I want to keep in Evernote.  You do need to sign up for a Xodo account at there website, which you'll find a link to in the Xodo app's "Read More" area in Google play.

It's easy and free.  Can't beat that combination!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @jmint0,

It sounds like you are doing everything right. After annotation it will save into a new note as opposed to appending or replacing the existing image as it previously did. We are currently working on incorporating features into Evernote for Android that will help better address this in future updates. In the meantime you can of course save the images just into your Gallery on your device and then when finished with the images, you can upload them into a note using the paperclip icon when in the note editor. This will make sure all of the images are found within a single note and not separated across several notes.

In the meantime though, @Wordsgood provides a good alternative that will address what you are needing while we continue to work on Evernote for Android.

Archived