Turn off syncing?

I'm a piano teacher and use Evernote to make assignment notes for my students, among other things. I do this in real time during lessons, making notes to myself as we go, and then putting the notes in a more understandable and helpful form when I finish teaching for the day. Each student has a notebook I've shared with them, so this works really well. Especially since I can insert recordings, videos, pdfs, etc. But too often, Evernote gets hung up syncing during lessons. I do not know why it does, but sometimes it will be syncing most of the time for 2 or 3 hours. During these times it is extremely slow, frequently freezing. I generally use it on my iPad during lessons, but when this problem occurs it affects the desktop version, as well. So I have to resort to jotting down notes in something else. This is more cumbersome, as my notes are not so well coordinated with the student or what they've been doing and I have to adjust formatting when I copy into Evernote or re-type them. But there seems to be no way to stop syncing. At least on the desktop version I can set a time between syncing, although that does not seem to have anything to do with this problem. On my iPad, though, all I could do, I guess, is turn off Wifi. But I use it while teaching. It's part of the benefit of using my iPad. Is there any way around this issue?

• Level 5*

The syncing shouldn't be causing a problem like that.

Regardless, you could always use another app then load it into Evernote afterwards.
I actually use the Notability app for most of my serious note taking.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, kguess said:

Evernote gets hung up syncing during lessons. I do not know why it does, but sometimes it will be syncing most of the time for 2 or 3 hours. During these times it is extremely slow, frequently freezing.

Unless someone else has access to your account, or other users are adding a lot to you shared/joined Notebooks, this should  not happen.  My first guess would be a connectivity issue.  When this happens, you might switch to the SpeedTest.net app, and check your speed.  If this keeps happening, save a copy of your Evernote Activity Log, and submit a bug report, with the log attached.

2 hours ago, kguess said:

Each student has a notebook I've shared with them

How many shared notebooks do you have?

You might try these fixes:

1. Restart the EN iPad app
    1. First make sure all your EN notes are sync'd
    2. Switch to another app
    3. Double-tap the iPad Home button, and close/quit EN by swiping up
    4. Restart your iPad
    5. Restart EN iPad
  2. If nothing else works:
    1. Delete your EN iPad app (make sure all notes are sync'd first)
    2. Restart your iPad
    3. Redownload/install EN iPad

If you can't resolve this in short order, then submit a bug report.  If you are a Premium/Business account owner, you can contact Evernote via Support Chat.  This would be the fastest way to get support.

See Evernote Chat Support., available business days 7am-7pm US CST, but only for Premium or Business users. 

(Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.)

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

• Level 5*

Workaround in the interim, you could try disabling connectivity on your iPad before the session, back on after the session.  This should prevent any syncing during the session, not optimal for sure, but should let you do the job and isolate as to whether connectivity is the issue.

• Level 5*

If you plan to use Evernote during these sessions, you should try to fix the problem.

@JMichaelTX gave detailed instructions above, but I can appreciate it's not something you want to take on.
For minimum effort, you might try simply deleting the Evernote app and then reinstalling.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

For minimum effort, you might try simply deleting the Evernote app and then reinstalling.

That was my suggested fix #2.

IMO, minimum effort is my fix #1, restart the EN app.

I have tried everything JMichaelTX suggested except support chat, which I'm about to do. But I have learned it's not a syncing issue—or at least, it's not slowing/freezing because it's syncing. Turning off wifi does nothing. I have both my iMac and iPad in my studio, and if this happens on one, it happens on the other. Last night, it happened on my iPad although wifi was off. I just immediately restarted my iPad and went to my iMac. It was happening there to, and it wasn't syncing. I turned of wifi anyway, and it still happened. It was completely unusable for over half an hour. And then it was fine. 

I have submitted a bug ticket before concerning this issue, but nothing came of it. So I will do that again, as well as trying support chat. 

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, kguess said:

I have both my iMac and iPad in my studio, and if this happens on one, it happens on the other.

That is very abnormal - I haven't seen it before.  Also, you identified it on two platforms, with wifi off.  
Please let us know if you get it resolved.
I hope you get it worked out because these are great tools for your teaching.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, kguess said:

I have both my iMac and iPad in my studio, and if this happens on one, it happens on the other

This suggests that there may be one or more Notes that Evernote is having trouble with.  When it happens, immediately look at the bottom of the Evernote Activity Log for clues on what Evernote is doing, and maybe which Note it is processing.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm not totally sure, but it may have happened during the same students' lessons. It has definitely not happened during every lesson and I do believe it has happened, roughly, around the same time when it happened. It hasn't happened tonight, so I looked at the activity log from last night when it did happen and I found something curious. It was humming along quite regularly, doing something ever few seconds or microseconds and then what is shown in the attached file happened. That was when it started delaying and freezing. I just opened the note I had opened then and the slow responding began. Why would a particular note cause that?

iPadActivityLogExcerpt.rtf

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, kguess said:

Why would a particular note cause that?

Hard to say.  I would

1. copy the contents of the suspect note(s) out to another app,
  2. delete the Note in Evernote,
  3. empty the Evernote Trash, sync,
  4. restart Evernote.  
  5. sync all of your other devices.  
  6. create a new Note and copy the contents back in.
  7. Sync the device, and then all devices.

Sorry, I didn't have  a chance to review your log.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kguess said:

Why would a particular note cause that?

That's fantastic - you were able to I isolate the problem.

i'd give this to the support desk - at least it's something for them to look at.

one thing you can do is to remove any complicated formating.  We have the option on the Mac.  Or just nuke the note, as JM said  kill it in the trash too.

It hasn't only happened with that student, but now I at least know something else to try if it happens again. Would love to know what caused it, as I have 26 students, each with an assignment note and various other notes, and the only thing that really varies from note to note is that certain notes include a table, and there may or may not be a recording, video or link inserted in a note. Tables is the most advanced formatting I use with them. At least, unless you consider lists or colored text advanced formatting. Yet, the problem is very intermittent. 

Archived