Usage Limits Showing As Exceeded - Meter Has Gone Haywire

I am running Evernote on Windows 7 desktop client, Nexus 7 (2012 edition) running KitKat 4.4.4 and iPhone 5 running iOS 7. Have been using Evernote for about two years, Basic Edition, about 6,000+ notes. The discrepancies between when the monthly usage meters reset among my two mobile devices and my laptop have always been an issue – they do not reset on the same day. I have reported this to Evernote several times without any resolution. In the past few months, my iPhone 5 has been displaying frequent messages that my monthly upload limit has been exceeded while my desktop version and Android app indicate I am well within my 60MB. My iPhone 5 appears to be uploading, despite the warnings.

About two weeks ago, my devices reset (over a period of a few days). Almost immediately, my usage meter started going up very quickly despite very few notes created and most of them text or small web clips. By the fourth or fifth day of the monthly usage cycle, the meters turned red and indicated my limit was exceeded. I reported this to Evernote Support, along with Activity Logs from my laptop and two mobile devices. The Evernote rep gave me one week of Premium, so that I could sync my notes and catch up. That worked well, until the week expired. The day it expired, my Windows desktop client reset to 60 MB. Later that evening, I was working on my Android tablet and noticed it was still in Premium mode. About 11:45 PM EST that evening, it reset and the usage meter reported that I had used 186% of my monthly allowance -- or (negative) -117,041,792 bytes remaining. It also showed reset in 23 days rather than a new cycle beginning with 30 days. In fact, 23 days is exactly where I left off before the Evernote tech gave me the week of Premium upgrade. As soon as the Android meter reported negative usage of 186% of my monthly limit, the other meters on my Windows desktop client and my iPhone turned red and showed usage exceeded monthly limit.

I have written to the Evernote rep daily. Sometimes, depending on his work schedule, I guess, I do not hear anything for one or two days. I cannot work in Evernote. All usage meters are red. I have tried to suggest that the return to Basic be at the beginning of a new monthly cycle, but I was told to sign out and log back in to my Android Evernote app. When I did that, all 6,000+ notes were downloaded again, as the Activity Log showed 0 notes after clearing cache upon sign out. I asked that my case be escalated, and was told it has been, but based on past experience, it could be weeks before I hear from a tech. I have considered upgrading to Plus for this month, but since there was obviously a bug in one of the apps (I suspect the Android app), I fear the issue with exceeding monthly limit will just reappear. 

I don’t believe the reset from Premium was handled correctly, and Evernote’s lack of responsiveness is extremely disappointing and frustrating. Except for searches of existing notes, I have had no access to Evernote for over two weeks. I don’t really need Plus or Premium most months. I have occasionally upgraded to Premium when I needed offline notebooks for travel.

The only ‘unusual’ things I can mention are that I found 500 notes in the Trash. I will admit I have not checked the Trash very often. I moved these back into my default notebook while I was in Premium mode, but unfortunately the way I chose to do it, my tags were wiped out, so I must now go back and retag at least half of them. Some of the notes in Trash were legitimate and others were bits of web clippings.

The only other thing I can think of that could have affected this usage meter having gone haywire is that sometimes when I am getting close to the end of a monthly usage cycle, if I have a good amount of storage remaining, I will upload notes I have stored elsewhere to use up my limit. With my iPhone thinking the limit has been exceeded despite my Windows desktop client and my Android tablet telling me I have several days and considerable storage left, perhaps these uploads to the server are actually occurring at what the iPhone app considers to be the beginning of a new cycle, but even then, it would not account for the meter showing I was out of upload space in the first few days of the month.

Can anyone please help me with this? I am far too invested in Evernote to just walk away, and I can’t get timely responses from Evernote Support.

• Level 5*
On 1/29/2016 at 0:44 AM, promosinc said:

The discrepancies between when the monthly usage meters reset among my two mobile devices and my laptop have always been an issue – they do not reset on the same day. I have reported this to Evernote several times without any resolution.
. . .
I don’t really need Plus or Premium most months. I have occasionally upgraded to Premium when I needed offline notebooks for travel.
. . .
Can anyone please help me with this? I am far too invested in Evernote to just walk away, and I can’t get timely responses from Evernote Support

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the monthly allocation.

Sounds like you have a very complicated situation.  I'm not sure that anyone other than Evernote can really resolve this issue, since it primarily concerns how Evernote tracks and reports your monthly usage.

I know you don't want to upgrade, but in addition to the extra allowances and features, the paid accounts offer direct support from Evernote.  The free account does not offer direct support.  Only you can decide if the few bucks a month for a Premium account are worth getting the support you need, and resolving this issue once and for all so you don't have to spend time and effort worrying about it.

I have been a Premium account owner for years now, and not once have I ever concerned myself with going over the monthly allowance.  Whenever I have had issues or just questions, I've received immediate support from Evernote via EN Chat and email support.  So, for me, it's money well spent.

I'm not pushing Evernote upgrades, just offering my opinion about what it is worth to me.  YMMV.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Hi JMichaelTX,

Thank you so much for responding -- I was beginning to feel all alone out there :) 

I think your points are very well taken, and I have thought about upgrading to either Plus or Premium many, many times. I suppose if ever there was a time that was right for me, it would be now --  my only reservation being that if there is a bug in the most recent Android or iPhone app, my usage meter might go haywire again, so I was hoping to see it through with Evernote Tech Support. The haywire meters resolved immediately with the Premium week-long upgrade, so it's probably safe to assume I'd be OK with Plus too, since I am a fairly lightweight user most months.

For the record, I did get a fast email response from Evernote once I requested support, but the temporary upgrade was a band-aid and not a solution. It seems if they would just reset me to a new cycle rather than a retro return to where I left off, we could at least judge if the issue persists. Once I pointed out to the Evernote person who was helping me, that my usage meter returned to 'haywire' along with the return to Basic, he promised me he had escalated my issue to Technical Support (I thought he was in Technical Support but apparently not), but that is where the communication has dropped off. He is no longer responding to my emails, and I suspect it will be weeks before I hear from a tech, because Basic users are a rather low priority, as you pointed out.

I may try to wait it out until the end of this cycle -- still 19 days away (a very long time for an Evernote user), just to see if it was a fluke, but you are right, if I can't get this resolved fairly quickly, I have no choice but to upgrade. Thank you for taking the time, as I think I needed to hear this....I will post again with the resolution.

• 2 years later...

I am experiencing a similar issue and hope someone from Evernote or the community can help. I have the Plus plan, which allows for 1GB per month of uploads. In my desktop client, I have used 960KB with 20 days left.

on my iPhone, this is reporting as using 1023.1MB of 1GB remaining, with 20 days left. I was getting a notification in iOS that one or more notes could not be uploaded because of size limits. I sorted all my Evernote notes that I had and none of them were 50MB+. I deleted a few older ones that had larger attachments as they were no longer needed. I logged out of the iOS app, logged back in and the message continued.

I even went as far as removing the iOS app and reinstalling from scratch. No matter what I do, the iOS app is telling me I'm over my monthly allowance, even though I've barely uploaded anything from my phone. 

Is the 1GB limit total notes synced in time (as in, am I only allowed to have 1GB of note storage) or is this supposed to be 1GB of uploads per month. I suspect the latter, but am looking for confirmation.

Evernote Support/Community: has anyone ever run into this problem? What can be done to resolve this? I don't want to upgrade to the next level just to get this to go away - I'm not uploading this much per month currently.

Please advise - thanks.

image.png.c44372ca672d53c919c7433111c733c5.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Nick Mantia said:

Is the 1GB limit total notes synced in time (as in, am I only allowed to have 1GB of note storage) or is this supposed to be 1GB of uploads per month. I suspect the latter, but am looking for confirmation.

The upload limit is the total amount of data that you can upload into your Evernote account in a month, across all of your devices. There are also limits on the sizes of notes that you can upload. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247-What-are-the-system-limits-of-Evernote-

Archived