Problem with PDF with AES256 encryption

Hi,

I can not open on my iPhone or iPad (both with iOS 9.2.1 & EN 7.10) a PDF file that I encrypt using PDFPen Pro with AES256 security .

The problem is when I try to enter the password, which it is rejected as if it were wrong. However, I can open the the same file with the same password with EN desktop in my iMac.

This problem does not exist if I use AES128 encryption.

This is a bug, or EN for iOS is not compatible with AES256 encryption?

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, rbianchi said:

Hi,

I can not open on my iPhone or iPad (both with iOS 9.2.1 & EN 7.10) a PDF file that I encrypt using PDFPen Pro with AES256 security .

The problem is when I try to enter the password, which it is rejected as if it were wrong. However, I can open the the same file with the same password with EN desktop in my iMac.

This problem does not exist if I use AES128 encryption.

This used to be a problem a few years ago. I thought they had fixed it, but maybe it has cropped up again. Besides the pain of having to encrypt each and every file before putting it into Evernote (no note- or notebook-level encryption), having the content become inaccessible also discouraged me from using Evernote to store sensitive data. You may want to stick the PDF into Adobe's iPad app instead -- it opens 256-bit stuff just fine.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, rbianchi said:

I think it is BUG that has reappeared.  I suggest you submit a bug report.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

GM & JM thanks for the reply.

I submit the BUG report, ticket is #1415798.

However, the Spanish version of EN Support do not have 'Report a bug' as an item to select. Only allow 'questions'

I do not have a good experience with spanish EN Support, and I can not post the report in the engish version...

In the midtime, I will use AES128...

• 1 month later...

I just submitted a ticket about this same issue. Fortunately I have a script that automatically encrypts and pw protects using PDF Pen Pro so altering the script to use AES128 is not time consuming. However, I prefer AES256 and also all the hundreds of files I've encrypted at that level are now unusable on my iPad and iPhone. I hope they resolve this issue quickly. If you have this problem please submit a ticket. Maybe that will move things along. 

On January 29, 2016 at 7:29 PM, GrumpyMonkey said:

This used to be a problem a few years ago. I thought they had fixed it, but maybe it has cropped up again. Besides the pain of having to encrypt each and every file before putting it into Evernote (no note- or notebook-level encryption), having the content become inaccessible also discouraged me from using Evernote to store sensitive data. You may want to stick the PDF into Adobe's iPad app instead -- it opens 256-bit stuff just fine.

Yes that's an option but not for those of us who really like Evernote and rely on it heavily for business. I've changed my encryption level until they figure this out, pain in the neck.

• 10 months later...

And now, on iPad/iPhone with iOS 10.1.1 and Evernote v7.18, this happen also with AES128 encryption!

So, I can´t read any PDF with AES 128 encryption on my iPad or iPhone. I must do it on desktop only...

Archived