Evernote Basic vs. paid subscriptions

Hello,

I need to decide whether to continue using a complimentary Evernote subscription, or whether reverting to Evernote Basic is fine for my needs. It's personal use only (some extensive note-taking, but otherwise just as a personal organiser). No groups or business use. Apparently Evernote Basic doesn't allow offline access to notes via mobile (see image), which seems weird. I don't need notes to necessarily sync straight away, but surely I can still create and save a note to mobile under the Basic package, even if I have no Internet access?

Thanks for any thoughts. 

Screenshot_2016-01-27-15-07-31.png

• Level 5*

You should be able create/save a note without a connection, try it.  Turn off your connection and create a note.  It should sync when you enable your connection again. 

You just can't download the contents of an existing note without a connection. 

Thanks for replying :)

Creating/saving notes without Internet connection works fine.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "download the contents of an existing note". Is that any different than syncing? I know a connection is required for that. 

Basically, I don't see what I would *not* be getting, if I go back to the Basic package. The second bullet point above confuses me. "For Basic, offline access to notes is available only via Desktop". That suggests that I can't access previously-synced notes on my smartphone, if I have no Internet connection. If that's not the case, and any synced notes are accessible with or without Internet access, then I'm fine with Basic.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, MattSM said:

That suggests that I can't access previously-synced notes on my smartphone, if I have no Internet connection.

This was my understanding, not just smartphone - any mobile device.
A premium feature is that you can mark a notebook as offline; a copy of the notes would be downloaded to your device and always available.

Ok, many thanks.

I wasn't even aware of that feature. I just make sure to sync on a regular basis, so effectively I have up-to-date access on any of my devices. No need for a subscription, for my needs.

Thanks again!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, MattSM said:

Thanks for replying :)

Creating/saving notes without Internet connection works fine.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "download the contents of an existing note". Is that any different than syncing? I know a connection is required for that. 

You are welcome.  What it means is that without a connection you cannot see the contents of the note.  So if you have two pages of text and/or images in the note for example, you will not be able to see that on your mobile.  There is as caveat in that if you recently viewed the note on your mobile, the contents of the note may still be in cache on the mobile.  But no guarantee of that.  

As a basic subscriber you need a connection to pull the contents of the note down from the EN servers.  With a paid subscription you can identify which notes to have fully resident on your mobile by defining which notebooks for offline access.  So depending how often you want to be sure and have the contents on your mobile would drive your decision I would think?  That and which of the EN upload limits makes the most sense for your use case. 

Archived