version control

hi, I tried searching "10.6" and "Mac 10.6" in the forum search, came up with nothing.

How do we know what version is compatible with what operating system?

I have 10.6. What version do I need? 

Where can I get it?

thanks.

• Level 5*
On 1/27/2016 at 7:23 AM, PhilHD said:

How do we know what version is compatible with what operating system?

That's a very good question. I don't know of anywhere you can find this information in a consolidated list.
In general, if memory serves, these are the minimum OS versions required:
(if anyone has better, more reliable info, please post)

• EN Mac 6.4
    • Min:  Mt. Lion
    • Preferred:  Mavericks (10.9)+
      (I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5)
    • Latest:  El Capitan (10.11)  -- still some issues
  • EN Win 5.9.6
    • Min:  WinXP SP3
    • Preferred:  Win7+
    • Latest:  Win10 -- still some issues
  • EN iOS 10.10
    • Min:  iOS 8
    • Preferred:  iOS 9+ (this may be required now)
    • Latest:  iOS 9.2.1  (no known issues)

Evernote offers a download of only one version for each platform:  The most current version.
But you can access prior versions here from the web site FileHippo.com, which maintains a history of prior versions for Evernote (and other apps):

While Evernote usually says that the latest version of Evernote on a specific platform will be compatible with the latest platform OS version, that is not always the case for all users.  For example, EN Win 5.9.6 is still having some issues with Win 10, and EN Mac 6.4 is still having some issues with Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11).  So I don't upgrade my OS until I know that apps critical to my workflow will work properly on the new OS version.

You can usually find an announcement of the latest version update in the Product Feedback forums:

Often in these update announcements the EN product manager will mention if there are any issues with a specific OS version.

Of course, in EN Win and EN Mac, you can goto Help > Check for Updates (Win) and Evernote > Check for Updates (Mac) at any time.

My recommendation is to review the version update thread in these forums first before you install any updates.  Make sure you don't see any issues that would affect your workflow.  I usually wait at least a week after the announcement before I install any updates.

Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Archived