How to create sub-pages?

I am researching on vacation places. I put all the notes in a Notebook called 2016-02-Vacation.

There are hotels, travel, restaurants, places to go... etc.

Ideally I would have one note per location with all the information, but as I browse through the web, I found lots of pages related to this place so I captured the useful pages into the notebook. Now I have several notes related to one topic, mixed with other topics in the same notebook. It makes finding the information very difficult in Evernote.

I've thought about using tags, but 1) tags are global, having one makes tag list look messy 2) topics usually have long descriptive names (titles). For these reasons tags are unsuitable.

I've thought about creating Table of Contents but every time I add a new page, I have to re-generate the ToC. And the pages are still all over the place in the Notebook. And now you have to actually look for the ToC note.

Last method is Merging all the notes, but again you can't really add new pages after you've created the merged note.

Or are there better ways to organize things?

• Level 5*

1. Search is how most Evernote users find data. Give it a shot. You can search on tags, words in the title, words in the note. Much faster than browsing through a notebook to find a particular note.

2. You can organize tags by nesting them. For example, you can create a 'vacation' tag, and then nest all your vacation related tags under the 'vacation' tag so they don't clutter up your tag list.

3. You can drag your ToC note to Shortcuts (on left side of screen), so it's easily accessible. When you're done with the vacation, you can remove that note from Shortcuts.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, yt8019 said:

Or are there better ways to organize things

For organization, my approach would be a master document holding links to sub documents.

Periodically I would review the list of sub documents and add the links to the master document.

Tags are useful for producing a list, however sequence options are limited.

In the master document, I can add the links in any order I wish, even using a table and/or headings to make it more presentable.

There are methods to make sure the master document is always at the top of your list and not having to search for it.

• Level 5*

Consider using location name as a tag as you do your research, preceded with LOC or the like for an easy all locations search.  If you want a "clean" view of tags put the location tags under a parent tag name Location, or the like. 

When you are done delete the "losing" location tags and notes if you like, or keep them for future reference.  I'd steer clear of the TOC until you have gathered all the information, and by then you may not need it.

• Level 5*
On 1/26/2016 at 8:31 PM, yt8019 said:

I am researching on vacation places. I put all the notes in a Notebook called 2016-02-Vacation.

There are hotels, travel, restaurants, places to go... etc.

Ideally I would have one note per location with all the information, but as I browse through the web, I found lots of pages related to this place so I captured the useful pages into the notebook. Now I have several notes related to one topic, mixed with other topics in the same notebook. It makes finding the information very difficult in Evernote.

I've thought about using tags, but 1) tags are global, having one makes tag list look messy 2) topics usually have long descriptive names (titles). For these reasons tags are unsuitable.

By using short tag names and hierarchical (parent/child) tags, you can keep your tag list compact, well-orgainized.

I have found the following works well, at least for me for researching and managing travel:

1. To identify notes about specific locations, I have this tag system and hierarchy:
    1. LOCATIONS
      1. LOC.US.WashDC
      2. LOC.FR.Paris
      3. LOC.IT.Rome
      4. etc
    2. "Master" Tag
      1. Often I will have many notes about one topic, one location
      2. To identify the primary, or master Note, I assign it a tag named "Master"
      3. The Master Note can provide an overview, summary, and include links to other related notes if you like
  2. Specific Trips
    1. In order to clearly separate/identify specific, actual trips from travel info and planning, I have a top-level "TRIPS" tag, and then sub-tags (child tags) for each specific trip
      1. TRIPS
        1. Trip.2015-08-15
        2. Trip.2015-12-21
        3. Trip.2016-03-10
        4. etc
    2. As soon as I have selected a specific departure date for a trip, I create a Master Note for it, and create/assign it a new Trip.xxx tag.  If the date changes later, it is very easy to change the tag name in Tag View, and all notes immediately reflect the change
    3. I create a separate note for each specific reservation, document, etc for the trip, all tagged with the Trip.xxx tag
      1. Assigning the Trip.xxx tag is easy.  I just start typing "trip.2016" and it shows all my trips for 2016.
    4. If I want to look back at my previous (or planned trips), I can do a search like this, which would show one note per trip, the master note:
      tag:trip.2015* tag:master

Of course you can use "Trip.xxx" tags and "LOC" tags to find trips to specific locations.
For example, this search would show all of my trips in 2015 to San Francisco:
tag:trip.2015* tag:loc.us.sfo

The use of tag prefixes is very powerful, and makes assigning tags and setting tag filter very easy.  In the assignment or filter block, I just start typing the prefix, like "LOC.", and it auto-completes and shows a dropdown list of matching tags.

Finally, I put all of these tags inside of (as child tags) to a top-level tag I call pseudo Notebook, ".NB.Travel".
I can collapse (hide) my entire set of travel tags when I don't need them, but then expand as deep as needed when I do.  Then just click on a tag, like "Trip.2016-03-01" when I want to see notes about that trip.

Hope this helps.  Feel free ask any questions and challenge my approach.

Archived