Do I need to update evernote on my mac?

When I open my Evernote it looks like the image below (in black and brownish) but then I see another version that seems newer in green. Why? Do I need to update my version and download something new? If so, how? Do I then have to get rid of the Evernote software I already have on my mac and download new version?

Mangy thanks, Lotta

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 21.43.09.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  Have a look at this Update help page...

It's good to keep your app updated,  because you then get the benefit of all the latest bug fixes and new features (and colorschemes);  but it's sometimes a little... exciting... if the new version includes a new bug or a feature you really,  really hate.  Some folks find a version that works for them and stay on it for as long as they can.  Others wait until a month or so has passed after an update is released so that more adventurous souls can sort out most of the bugs with Evernote.  Up to you whether you want to be a finder or a follower!

:)

• Level 5*
On 1/26/2016 at 0:52 PM, ladelstal said:

When I open my Evernote it looks like the image below (in black and brownish) but then I see another version that seems newer in green. Why? Do I need to update my version and download something new? If so, how?

It is hard to tell for sure, but it looks like you have a very recent, if not the latest, version of EN Mac.  You can find out by going to Evernote menu > check for updates.  Evernote > About will show you the version you have installed.

There are two settings that can affect the appearance of EN Mac:

1. Evernote > View > Sidebar Options > Use Light Sidebar OR Use Dark Sidebar
  2. Mac System Preferences > Accessibility: (will affect ALL Mac apps)
    1. Reduce Transparency
    2. Increase contrast

I would NOT rush to install updates to Evernote.  Although this is improving, in the past some updates have contained bugs that may have adverse impact on your workflow.  I usually wait at least a week, or longer, after the update is released.  Check the update release thread in  Mac Product Feedback.  The latest is Evernote for Mac 6.4 Released.

Thank you Sophie and Guru!

I am not that IT savy, and now I understand the basic, but for me new, fact that there is a desktop and a web version. So what I have on my computer/mac is the latest 6.4 desktop version, and the one i am referring to in green is the web-based app :). Learning by the day.

I don't really know why I would want to be using the web version on by desktop. I mean, even if I would be using another persons computer I would still be able to access my ENs. Right? Why do people use the web based version? 

Thanks a billion for taking me by the hand :).

Lotta

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ladelstal said:

Thanks a billion for taking me by the hand :).

Glad we could help.  BTW, you can call me JMichaelTX.  "Guru" is a meaningless label that the Evernote forum software has applied to various users who have more than 300 posts.  It really doesn't mean anything.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, ladelstal said:

I don't really know why I would want to be using the web version on my desktop. I mean, even if I would be using another persons computer I would still be able to access my ENs. Right? Why do people use the web based version? 

You mentioned the user case yourself.  
If you're using another persons computer, they might be peeved if you started installing apps.  
It also might not even be allowed, for example on the computer at the library.
And while Evernote covers a multitude of platforms, there are some exceptions, for example Linux.

Archived