Customizing and Hiding Toolbars Help

As an Evernote user who writes Evernotes on a laptop, I like to save screen real estate whenever possible. 

Most applications, especially those that are built with the purpose of reading and writing text, provide users with the option of hiding toolbars.

The multiple Evernote toolbars occupy approx three inches of unmodifiable grey space, so while I ruin my eyes reading my notes I have the pleasure of also having a redundant customized toolbar filled with icons, whose keyboard shortcuts I have memorized or never use.

The ability to effectively modify toolbars won't confuse or lose users, but the inability to read your text without going into presentation mode or copying and pasting into a more user-friendly application such as Notepad or Microsoft Word will. I heard this complaint before.

Thanks,

Justin

• Level 5*

A screenshot might help us understand here,  plus confirmation of your OS - I'm using Evernote Windows Desktop,  and while there is a grey bar at the top of my (1080p) screen,  it's maybe 10% of the total screen height.  85-90% usable white space doesn't seem too bad...  If you prefer a plain screen,  there are apps out there that will give you that,  and you can copy/ paste the resulting text into a note,  or attach the output file from your external app so you can edit it anywhere you access Evernote and have the editing software installed.

• Level 5*
On January 26, 2016 at 10:38 PM, JustinJsen said:

Most applications, especially those that are built with the purpose of reading and writing text, provide users with the option of hiding toolbars.

Which platform?  On the Mac we have the option of hiding the toolbar.

Which platform?  On the Mac we have the option of hiding the toolbar.

Windows 7

10% of the total screen height.  85-90% usable white space doesn't seem too bad

This is much more than 10%. See attachment. Windows should have the same option as Mac to hide all of this unnecessary space.

evernote.PNG

This is the single note view on Windows, correct? 

What you can do is go under "File" and select "Print Preview." This will give you a clean format to read from.

Here's a note I used this on to show you what it looks like

Print Preview Screen.jpg

On 1.2.2016 at 7:59 AM, Candid said:

This is the single note view on Windows, correct? 

What you can do is go under "File" and select "Print Preview." This will give you a clean format to read from.

I appreciate this function for presenting the document, but this doesn't really solve the problem I am having.

While I am writing notes on the single note view for Windows I would like to be able to hide the toolbars I marked in my attachment like in the OSX version.

Thanks anyways.

• 2 months later...

+1 for this feature, please! Toggling the toolbar in a note is a huge game changer if your trying to use evernote as a sticky note with checkboxes and just need a small clutter free space for a couple items to live on your desktop

Archived