Need to see author and publication date metadata when clipping articles

Joseph Cole

Idea

In my research, I clip a lot of newspaper and blog articles from the web. I love Evernote Web Clipper's simplified article view, but it doesn't include the article metadata like the post author and post publication date. Please include these crucial pieces of information!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Joseph Cole said:

I love Evernote Web Clipper's simplified article view, but it doesn't include the article metadata like the post author and post publication date. Please include these crucial pieces of information!

I completely agree.  We really need this critical information on every web page clipped.  Currently I am having to manually type this in, and it really slow me down.  

Everyone who wants this feature should click the vote-up button at the top left of this page.

• Like 1

(repost of my comment posted here, in hopes of finding others who are interested in this issue)

I very much need the same things mentioned by the OP. This issue most often comes up when I clip from news sites. 

What I need: A clipped article, complete with publication name, headline, date and author's name -- preferably without the side columns of additional articles, random ads at the bottom, etc. I need this in order to share those articles, often combined into a packet of articles. 

Publications that offer "print versions" of individual articles solve the issue for me. I can clip a perfect-looking article, with all the needed elements, for saving and sharing. The issue is that not all publications do this.

Therefore, using Evernote, my choices are: 

1.) Clip as an "article," which keeps the date and the authors, but strips out the publication name.

To @DTLow, I understand that I could add in the information myself, but that is cumbersome when clipping numerous items. Also, this leaves me unable to keep the font/style/etc. of the publication name, which makes the clipped article look better for printing, sharing, etc.

2.) Clip as a "simplified article," which strips out the date and the authors in addition to leaving out the publication name.

In short, "simplified article" ought to include all the basics of identification: Publication name, headline, date and author's name, as well as the article itself.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, M. Black said:

Publications that offer "print versions" of individual articles solve the issue for me. I can clip a perfect-looking article, with all the needed elements, for saving and sharing. The issue is that not all publications do this.

Can you expand on this.  I have the same problem extracting the "needed elements" and still end up manually adding the metadata

On 7/22/2017 at 10:48 AM, DTLow said:

Can you expand on this.  I have the same problem extracting the "needed elements" and still end up manually adding the metadata

Sure, @DTLow:

Back in the old days of about a year ago or more, you could hit "print" and a very pretty version popped up so that you could print -- or clip -- a very nice version of the page. When that's an option, it works perfectly for clipping. 

Now, however, many sites offer a print option that forces a printer dialog pop-up. The clunky workaround I've found in those cases is to "print" as a saved PDF, then upload that PDF to Evernote. 

As I said, it's clunky, but often the best-looking option for saving an article that includes publication name, date, author, etc.

I sure wish Evernote offered a clipping option that included all those things without the extra steps.

Hope that helps.

MB