checkbox - auto-move to bottom of note when checked

Martin rask

• Level 5*

Nothing in Evernote that I know of.

Checkbox features are very basic; on or off.
It can be used in a search, but I haven't much use for that.

Might be something for our more talented script programmers.

• Level 5*

You might be able to do something like this with a text expander like PhaseExpress in Windows or the like on the Mac.  After clicking the check box, the keystrokes to put in the macro would be:

1. Shift-End - to highlight the line
  2. Ctrl-X - to cut the line
  3. Ctrl-End - to go to the bottom of the note
  4. Carriage Return - to make sure you are on a new line
  5. Ctrl-V - to paste the line

Then you can hit the check box and a hotkey of your choosing to move the line.  FWIW.

Hi guys...

cshilling.. I tried your suggestion.. though I did change it a bit... it's not ideal... I'd have loved something native.. or at least something that reacts to my checking the box.. but this solution DOES work...

1. Home - to include the checkbox
  2. Shift-End - to highlight the line
  3. Ctrl-X - to cut the line
  4. Ctrl-End - to go to the bottom of the note
  5. Carriage Return - to make sure you are on a new line
  6. Backspace - To delete the Checkbox Evernote automatically creates when working with a list of checkbox lines
  7. Ctrl-V - to paste the line

({#HOME}{#SHIFT {#END}}{#CTRL -chars X}{#CTRL {#END}}{#ENTER}{#BKSP}{#CTRL -chars v})

• Level 5*

Glad it is aaaaaalmost easy enough.  :)  Good catch on the second completed item having another check box. Ditto on the native, but until then.....

Also, just realized a #Del after your step three will remove the blank line where the item was in the first place.

Changed it again..

now it looks like this:

{#HOME}{#SHIFT {#RIGHT}}{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON}{#SHIFT {#END}}{#CTRL -chars X}{#DEL}{#CTRL {#END}}{#ENTER}{#BKSP}{#CTRL -chars v}

2. SHIFT+Right button to highlight checkbox
  3. LEFT Mouse button click to mark the checkbox
  4. Shift-End - to highlight the line
  5. Ctrl-X - to cut the line
  6. Ctrl-End - to go to the bottom of the note
  7. Carriage Return - to make sure you are on a new line
  8. Backspace - To delete the Checkbox Evernote automatically creates when working with a list of checkbox lines
  9. Ctrl-V - to paste the line

this only works if the checkbox isn't checked already.. at least it won't check the box but uncheck it instead :-)

Still using ALT+Left Mouse Button to activate the macro which, on a normal keyboard, is easy... on notepad keyboard it isn't quite as easy when using mousepad etc...

• Level 5*

Now it is virtually native, great job!  I'm assuming you determining the need for unchecked status is remediation of existing lists as you go through them?

There have been other posts on the forum relative to moving completed items to the bottom of checklists and I hope those folks will  check back and find this one.  Very nice solution you have developed here.. 

Hi

Thx.. though I'd never have done this without your suggestions...

What I've done so far is uncheck the completed tasks (yes that's what it's for) that have been completed and then applying the PhraseExpress macro, one by one...

Results so far have been as expected..

A little demo:

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Download PhaseExpress and then create a macro (in their terms) using the steps from the post above, copied below.  The first line represents the commands you put in the Macro, the numbers explain what the command does.  PE is fairly easy to learn, mostly point and click.

On 1/28/2016 at 4:42 AM, Martin rask said:

{#HOME}{#SHIFT {#RIGHT}}{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON}{#SHIFT {#END}}{#CTRL -chars X}{#DEL}{#CTRL {#END}}{#ENTER}{#BKSP}{#CTRL -chars v}

2. SHIFT+Right button to highlight checkbox
  3. LEFT Mouse button click to mark the checkbox
  4. Shift-End - to highlight the line
  5. Ctrl-X - to cut the line
  6. Ctrl-End - to go to the bottom of the note
  7. Carriage Return - to make sure you are on a new line
  8. Backspace - To delete the Checkbox Evernote automatically creates when working with a list of checkbox lines
  9. Ctrl-V - to paste the line

this only works if the checkbox isn't checked already.. at least it won't check the box but uncheck it instead :-)

Still using ALT+Left Mouse Button to activate the macro which, on a normal keyboard, is easy... on notepad keyboard it isn't quite as easy when using mousepad etc...

• 2 years later...

Nice workaround. I still think Evernote should have this as native. Is there a Feature Request open about this? If implemented I would not have to use other app (using Wunderlist for that kind of things, like shopping list) only Evernote.

Thks

JPaz

15 hours ago, jpaz said:

Is there a Feature Request open about this?

I believe so. I have seen other posts and feature requests about being able to sort the CHECKBOXES within a note. For anybody using Evernote for task management, it is really a great feature to have, almost a mandatory | fundamental one I would say.

Similar to you, I am also using a separate task management app (mine is Todoist) and I use TaskClone to create the relationship between the two. 

Archived