sharing one premium account with assistant??

I am brand new to evernote and signed up for premium  and am confused to exactly how to use it in my case.

I am a Realtor and have an assistant, no one else on the team at this time.  I would like to use evernote to:

1.Set up notebooks labeled with say clients name, within that notebook, I would have notes,contracts,pics ect.  then stack all of these notebooks by either buyers or sellers

2. set up notebook with category of say sellers and all notes,docs,ect that has to do with selling property.

I will be adding "notes" to these notebooks as well as my assistant.  She will be doing the majority of "input" but I will need access as she will only be working part time and I will need to add and have access to all of this info at all times.  

Where I got confused, is in multiple articles and forums it advises against the use of one account, therefore I looked into the Evernote business platform, BUT it says use premium for a team of 2 or under and would not let me sign up with only 2 people.  Sounds contidictory to me,  Please help.

Also, I am impressed with evernote so far and was thinking it will be great for all of my personal stuff.  I will need a separate acct for this correct?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Briefly,  yes - get two accounts and share one or more notebooks between them.  If the assistant will do most of the keying,  set up the main notebook structure in that account and share notebooks to another one which will be yours.  If you try to edit a note which your assistant is also working on,  you'll get a warning that someone else is making changes.  That wouldn't happen if it was a single account and the computer believed that both sets of entries were coming from one user.

• Level 5*
On 1/24/2016 at 7:17 PM, markhillersells@gmail.com said:

Where I got confused, is in multiple articles and forums it advises against the use of one account, therefore I looked into the Evernote business platform, BUT it says use premium for a team of 2 or under and would not let me sign up with only 2 people.  Sounds contidictory to me

So, I would do as it suggests:  Have two separate Premium accounts, one for you, one for your assistant.  You can share notebooks from either account.

I will be adding "notes" to these notebooks as well as my assistant.  She will be doing the majority of "input" but I will need access as she will only be working part time and I will need to add and have access to all of this info at all times.

To maintain security and control, it is probably best for you to create a notebook that you will share with your assistant.  One key limitation to keep in mind is that only the notebook owner (you) can create tags that are used in the shared notebook.  You may want to create one master note in which you assign all tags that are available for the shared notebook.

1.Set up notebooks labeled with say clients name, within that notebook, I would have notes,contracts,pics ect.  then stack all of these notebooks by either buyers or sellers

You may want to consider the use of tags instead of notebooks for this purpose.  A Note can be in only one Notebook, and a Notebook can be in only one stack.  Whereas a Note may have as many tags as you like.  I have designed a system that uses tags as pseudo notebooks, which give you a lot more flexibility, including hierarchical (sub-notebook) organization.  For more info see these posts:

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

On 1/25/2016 at 10:32 PM, JMichaelTX said:

So, I would do as it suggests:  Have two separate Premium accounts, one for you, one for your assistant.  You can share notebooks from either account.

To maintain security and control, it is probably best for you to create a notebook that you will share with your assistant.  One key limitation to keep in mind is that only the notebook owner (you) can create tags that are used in the shared notebook.  You may want to create one master note in which you assign all tags that are available for the shared notebook.

You may want to consider the use of tags instead of notebooks for this purpose.  A Note can be in only one Notebook, and a Notebook can be in only one stack.  Whereas a Note may have as many tags as you like.  I have designed a system that uses tags as pseudo notebooks, which give you a lot more flexibility, including hierarchical (sub-notebook) organization.  For more info see these posts:

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

I think I will set my assistant up with premium acct and have her as the main and she will share with me.  I will always be able to log with her acct if I need to add tag to anything and she is not available.  I think the tagging is the rout to go as I will have multiple notes that will need to be in several places only for the ease of access 

On 1/24/2016 at 5:46 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Briefly,  yes - get two accounts and share one or more notebooks between them.  If the assistant will do most of the keying,  set up the main notebook structure in that account and share notebooks to another one which will be yours.  If you try to edit a note which your assistant is also working on,  you'll get a warning that someone else is making changes.  That wouldn't happen if it was a single account and the computer believed that both sets of entries were coming from one user.

Thank you very much for your help!  Only down side is on the share side can't create tags, correct?

• Level 5*

The share side can use existing tags,  but can't create new ones.  The way I usually get around this is to have an agreed unique identifier added to keywords in the note title - "xx" forinstance so that "inititle:xx*" (xxstar) will find all keywords.  and more precise searches act like tagged notes - intitle:xx<keyword>.

• Level 5*

Re: Shared Notebooks and Tagging

As per @gazumped concept 

For some of my shared notebooks, the sharees use a special code for example tag?-xxxx in the note
It serves two purposes
- a request to the notebook owner to add a tag
- allows tagging without messing up everyone else's tag list

These can be found easily by using saved searches
For example, if your personal process to tag urgent items as !When-Now and the sharee wants to use !Urgent, they can use tag?-!Urgent
Your search for urgent items would be tag:When-Now, their search would be for both terms.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, gazumped said:

The way I usually get around this is to have an agreed unique identifier added to keywords in the note title - "xx" forinstance so that "inititle:xx*" (xxstar) will find all keywords.  and more precise searches act like tagged notes - intitle:xx<keyword>.

Using keywords in the Note Title is useful, but much more difficult to consistently assign and use than tags.

If I want to search/filter using a Title keyword, I have only one choice:  
Search box, where I have to type:  intitle:<keyword>

• Much more typing than with tags
  • Subject to typos when entering, and when searching
  • I have to remember the exact spelling of every keyword, nothing to prompt me like with tags
  • As I type, Evernote is searching, slowing down my typing and getting to the final results

Tags are easy to assign and use:

1. When assigning, just start typing, and I get autocomplete with a dropdown list
  2. Avoid typos
  3. Avoid misspellings
  4. Avoid synonyms
  5. Avoid plural vs singular
  6. To filter by tags you can either:
    1. Type the name with auto-complete/dropdown
    2. Click on one or more tags in the left sidebar
  7. To use in search, it's just 4 characters (tag:) vs 8 for intitle:
  8. The name of the tag can be easily changed at any time, and will be automatically reflected in all notes
    1. To change a Title keyword requires changing the Title in each and every Note.

While there may be a number of new Tags needed in the beginning, after you've used the system for a while you should rarely need to add a new tag.  New tag requests can be easily facilitated using a note dedicated for this purpose, and by using EN Work Chat.

Thank you all for all of the helpful info, still trying to wrap my head around the language of evernote and the systems, but feel it will pay dividends in the long run.  My asst. is HUGE into systems, but evernote is new to her obviously as well.  Any particular videos you recommend that are the best for newbies?  I really want learn all the ins and outs, but of course trying to run my biz first.  Have alot of folders with sub folders and sub folders, ect. that want to transfer and just trying to do it right the first time even if it takes a little longer.  

• Level 5*

You can look at the links listed above in @JMichaelTX's signature.

I realize you want to get it right the first time, but don't get too bogged down.  Start creating some notes using the various import methods.  Try out all the features you're reading about. 

Archived