Editing encrypted text

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, csbc said:

Is it just me, or is it really impossible to edit encrypted iOS text

I've had the same experience.  Must be an IOS feature; it works ok on the Mac

Thanks both. I think it is a bit unfair to blame iOS rather then Evernote! Gazumped, are you saying you can edit encrypted text in the iOS version? If so any suggestions as to why I can't, or what I might be doing wrong?

FWIIW I sometimes also have difficulty making an insertion point in normal Evernote text in iOS.

Cheers, Colin 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, csbc said:

I think it is a bit unfair to blame iOS rather then Evernote

Sorry, I meant Evernote/IOS feature

If you're not accepting its an IOS limitation (there are a few), you can follow up with a support ticket for a bug, or repost as a feature request and we can vote on it.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, csbc said:

Thanks both. I think it is a bit unfair to blame iOS rather then Evernote! Gazumped, are you saying you can edit encrypted text in the iOS version? If so any suggestions as to why I can't, or what I might be doing wrong?

FWIIW I sometimes also have difficulty making an insertion point in normal Evernote text in iOS.

Cheers, Colin 

Sorry - imprecise answer;  I was speaking for the Windows/ Android faction,  not iOS.

Sorry for the delay, but for the sake of clarification is anyone else having a problem with editing encrypted text in iOS?

I can't touch it at all in iOS. In Android if I click on the pencil icon it make an insertion point just before the dots that cover the p/w having closed the decrypted text.

So, if I want to edit my encrypted text I can only do it on my Mac.

My Mac editing is fine, apart from the staggering number of basic glitches in even paid-for Evernote: it seems to me packed with more and more features, but no attempt made to address really basic data entry issues that have been solved in countless free apps on all platforms years ago ...

• Level 5*
On January 23, 2016 at 7:05 AM, csbc said:

Is it just me, or is it really impossible to edit encrypted iOS text [also I think in android.

One thing has bothered me about your post.

The iPad is not the greatest place to work with encrypted text.  
Yes, you can decrypt the text, for viewing.
Even if you could edit it, you now have the decrypted text in a synced notebook.  

Edited by DTLow
changed the word folder to notebook

Thanks DTLow: I fear you have lost me: I'm not sure what you mean about a synced folder, is it any different in iOS to OSX? 

I use the encrypted not to store a reminder of my passwords, so as you seem to be saying that there is not way to edit the note in iOS I'll just have to try and remember the password I've used for a new site if I'm away from home...

Cheers, Colin

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, csbc said:

synced folder, is it any different in iOS to OSX? 

I should have used the word notebooks instead of folders

On the desktop (Mac or Windows) you have local notebooks and sync'd notebooks (default)
You should always do your encryption/decryption in a local notebook.

Ah, but I've always created my notebooks by cmd-n, but they seem to sync [except when they don't and I get a conflicted copy] despite my never having used cmd-N.

Surely the whole point of Evernote is the sync? Certainly that is what I want it for, especially my p/w hints until I switch to 1Password.

Cheers, Colin56acd95ae192a_EvernoteScreenShot2016-01-

• Level 5*

58 minutes ago, csbc said:

Surely the whole point of Evernote is the sync? Certainly that is what I want it for,

We've gone a little off topic, and encryption is not something I use much, but I'll try to explain further

If you have un-encrypted data in a sync'd notebook,
- It gets replicated to the other platforms, including the Evernote cloud.
- It's also replicated in your note history
This is not great if you want to keep it private, which I assume is desired because we're talking about encryption

To be really secure, you should do your encryption in a Local Notebook, or outside Evernote
You should only move the note to a sync'd notebook after you've done the encryption

With basic Evernote IOS, you can't do encryption (perhaps for this very reason)

Thanks for that. I guess that with all the other foibles in Evernote* I'll just have to take it 'as is'. It is just too troublesome to find a way to make a synced encrypted notebook local every time I open it or make a change. I'll just assume that once it is re-encrypted the un-encrypted version is permanently deleted from wherever.

Incidentally, I I'm sure that I had encrypted notes before I upgraded to Plus.

Cheers, Colin

*I've been using computers for more than 30 years and I've never had an app that was as once as useful as Evernote and has so many blinding faults. Its typographic inconsistency [expecially cross-platform] is mad, it would not matter if it did not offer all the choices on a desktop, only to have them trashed if you open a not in iOS or Android. Also I paid for Plus to have offline access to notes, only to get [an incorrect] error saying I could not open a Note as I'd not opened it before. But above all it is the inconsistency of features cross-platform which is greater than any other app I know. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, csbc said:

It is just too troublesome to find a way to make a synced encrypted notebook local every time I open it or make a change.

Not the notebook - just the note
On my Mac, I have a local notebook for encryption.  I move private notes in here temporarily to work on them.

>>I'll just assume that once it is re-encrypted the un-encrypted version is permanently deleted from wherever.
Its not a bad assumption.  
The more paranoid among us would have concerns that unencrypted data has gone into the cloud.

>>But above all it is the inconsistency of features cross-platform which is greater than any other app I know. 
Yes, this has impacted me many times.  I appreciate there are limitations for the mobile devices, but I would expect the desktop versions to be the same UI. 

Increasingly OT, but for a paid for app the development is incredibly patchy. I have freeware on Mac and iOS for which I can get instant support, but there is no evidence that anyone from Evernote actually reads this forum.

These days it is easier to get an answer from Apple, and that's saying something. I do rather miss my corporate days when I had a permanent contact at Apple UK for any niggle.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, csbc said:

instant support, but there is no evidence that anyone from Evernote actually reads this forum.

Further to the OT

I encourage anyone wanting support to open a support ticket; link is below in my signature.

We see Evernote employees occasionally in the forums, but its not guaranteed.

• Ex Employees

We do our best to read all posts, even if we can't comment on all of them. @csbc You are absolutely entitled to support, though instant chat is Premium-only. If you have any issues opening a support ticket, let me know and I'll open one for you. As for actually editing encrypted text on mobile, I can confirm that this isn't yet a feature. I'm moving this to the 'Feedback' section, to ensure that our developers see it (they are generally more active there). Also note the voting feature at the top left. 

• Like 3
  • 11 months later...

I don't see that this topic was ever resolved...I enjoy encryption via desktop Evernote, however I am unable to decrypt via my iPhone. 

Please offer suggestions as yesterday I was in a meeting, needed to decrypt a password via iPhone stored on Evernote but I was unable to do so.   

As far as I know nothing has changed. It is one of many issues [the typography really bugs me] which seem below their radar. I also got fed up with documents not being available offline [the reason I paid to be a Plus subscriber].

As a Mac user with an iPad I have decided just to use Apple's Pages for rich text [and enjoy the advantage of handoff], and the simple notes will join others already in Google's Keep.

Ii suspect that will eventually cover all my needs, mostly better than Evernote and I can delete it.

i'm sure there are many things that Evernote does better than Pages or Keep, but if I need them I've not discovered them!

Sorry not to be any help, Colin 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Andrew G said:

I don't see that this topic was ever resolved...I enjoy encryption via desktop Evernote, however I am unable to decrypt via my iPhone. 

Please offer suggestions as yesterday I was in a meeting, needed to decrypt a password via iPhone stored on Evernote but I was unable to do so.   

IOS offers decryption for viewing

There is no encryption feature in Evernote IOS.  The only current solution is third party app or encrypt on the desktop

I prefer encrypted PDFs, but I know Saferoom integrates with Evernote in IOS

• 2 weeks later...

Given the bad press that Evernote has had with privacy recently, I would hope that we could encrypt on iOS.   After a sound response, I doubled down, paid for a subscription, but decided I would do better with encryption, and this is disappointing.  Let's go Team Evernote!

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, looneytoone said:

I would hope that we could encrypt on iOS.

As previously discussed, this is not a feature in Evernote IOS, even with hope or bad press

If encryption is important to you, you will have to look at third party products

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 24/08/2017 at 6:37 PM, CJ said:

The desktop client allows you the option to "Remember passphrase until I quit Evernote".  When is that going to be added to the mobile app for iOS?

About the same that that encryption is added I should think - but Evernote don't (usually) discuss any app features before release...

• 3 years later...

I used to be able to edit encrypted notes in IOS, now I can’t - and since macOS 10.3.7 I can’t even edit encrypted notes at all!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a disaster out release that prevents me editing or searching my own data! Does no-one test? If they do, who is designing their changes that prevent teh most sensible requirement!?!?!